• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Cowie

We just got a G63 AMG at work.

It's been so hard resisting hovering around this beast.

I want it pls.

oh man, I'd love to see some pics. It's such a stupid vehicle, I absolutely adore them. It just feels so contradictory and weird that there's an irresistible charm to it. I have no idea who buys them normally, but in the same sense if I had that fuck-you money it'd be one of the first things I nabbed. It's like the embodiment of 'for shits and giggles'.

Crayon

Wtf Subaru? The base Impreza is still saddled with a shitty 150HP 2.0? And there's a "Sport" version that offers torque vectoring? This has to be the most pointless package and feature on a car this anemic.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/09/2017-subaru-impreza-first-drive-review/

Also, the front looks like a Ford Focus and the rear like an older Camry. Awful.

Sounds reasonable to me. The wrx version will be there if you want power. Also, I'd be happy to take the torque vectoring on this model. It's not like you need any excess of power to enjoy an active torque bias. Overall I don't find this configuration so offensive. Mama can get it with a cvt and the motor will work somewhat loudly but she'll never floor it, so wont notice the absolute lack of power. The enthusiast can get the five speed and drive a slow car fast. And for anyone who wants real power, get the turbo. The corolla is ridiculously weak but sells fine and the owners love it.

The styling however is weak.

Bandit1

Met up with my BFF a couple weeks back, it was the first time the T/A and the GTO met face to face, er, bumper to bumper...

30772795723_a2c5de85a0_c.jpg

His GTO is LS2/6-speed, with cold air intake, headers, tune, high-flow cats, and no mufflers. (It was like that when he got it) He's going to put some mufflers on it eventually but in the meantime here's a takeoff/exhaust vid:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qIOYyTsRLfTzFGNXFUbnBEMnM/view

Crayon

Met up with my BFF a couple weeks back, it was the first time the T/A and the GTO met face to face, er, bumper to bumper...

His GTO is LS2/6-speed, with cold air intake, headers, tune, high-flow cats, and no mufflers. (It was like that when he got it) He's going to put some mufflers on it eventually but in the meantime here's a takeoff/exhaust vid:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qIOYyTsRLfTzFGNXFUbnBEMnM/view

I'd take that Chicken over that Goat. Both nice, tho.

mkenyon

Banned
Just looking around.

I like the first gen clk. I like the look and the layout.

980969d1402164337-clk320-better-track-car-than-my-img_5450.jpg

I mean I really like the look. Anyone had one of these? It the transmission good? I've never had a mercedes and I know nothing about them.
My father in-law had the CLK (55?) AMG, and I only got to drive it once. I remember it feeling kind of dull and heavy, but the go pedal was fun to push down.

Smokey

oh man, I'd love to see some pics. It's such a stupid vehicle, I absolutely adore them. It just feels so contradictory and weird that there's an irresistible charm to it. I have no idea who buys them normally, but in the same sense if I had that fuck-you money it'd be one of the first things I nabbed. It's like the embodiment of 'for shits and giggles'.

Rich moms. I lived in town for a bit last year. It was by far the SUV we saw the most in that area. Went to look at one since the MBUSA dealer was around the corner. They have virtually no back seat space.

Pinewood

Wtf Subaru? The base Impreza is still saddled with a shitty 150HP 2.0? And there's a "Sport" version that offers torque vectoring? This has to be the most pointless package and feature on a car this anemic.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/09/2017-subaru-impreza-first-drive-review/

Also, the front looks like a Ford Focus and the rear like an older Camry. Awful.
150 hp is fine for the base model and plenty for most drivers. What I dont like is the roofline, its got that weird shape, reminding me the Legacy roofline that looks ridiculous

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's serviceable, definitely way better than its old looks. But 150hp? Really?

Sounds reasonable to me. The wrx version will be there if you want power. Also, I'd be happy to take the torque vectoring on this model. It's not like you need any excess of power to enjoy an active torque bias. Overall I don't find this configuration so offensive. Mama can get it with a cvt and the motor will work somewhat loudly but she'll never floor it, so wont notice the absolute lack of power. The enthusiast can get the five speed and drive a slow car fast. And for anyone who wants real power, get the turbo. The corolla is ridiculously weak but sells fine and the owners love it.

The styling however is weak.

150 hp is fine for the base model and plenty for most drivers. What I dont like is the roofline, its got that weird shape, reminding me the Legacy roofline that looks ridiculous

Among its competition, the Subaru is 20-30HP weaker, and Autoblog claims it feels a lot worse than that. Autoblog doesn't usually highlight or complain about power much, but even they claim that the car feels way too slow and weak.

Crayon

Among its competition, the Subaru is 20-30HP weaker, and Autoblog claims it feels a lot worse than that. Autoblog doesn't usually highlight or complain about power much, but even they claim that the car feels way too slow and weak.

I don't really know much about the competitors. Is there anything of a similar size and price and 4wd?

ascii42

Well, at least it beats the Corolla's 132 hp base engine.

I don't really know much about the competitors. Is there anything of a similar size and price and 4wd?

With AWD? Not really, unless you count crossovers.

Crayon

With AWD? Not really, unless you count crossovers.

That's a major distinguishing feature, then. Sensible compact with 4wd, and 150 horses. If I lived where it snowed, that would ba a no brainer over a fwd with more power or a dumpy crossover. For me, at least.

Around here, you can't throw a rock without hitting one of these

or one of these

Is it even priced below the Crosstrek?

How are Crosstreks anyway? I'm just trying to scope out the land after my RSX bites the dust eventually. I love it to death but I'm sure I'm gonna need more room in the future (Went from a CRV to an RSX).

Speaking of my RSX, I got 4 new tires and rotors for it a month ago. Starts squeaking when I brake. I take it back to the place and they say they fixed it but a few days later...squeek. An annoying squeek. What could it be? I'm waiting until the holidays to go back home and get my parents' mechanic to look at it but damn is it annoying.

rokkerkory

Looks like we are picking up a 2017 mazda 3 hatch this weekend. S Grand Touring. Fiance loves mines so much she wants one too :)

2017 is refreshed inside n outside with G vectoring! Can't wait.

Did I just commit German car mortal sin?

That's a genuine official Mercedes Benz Leather care/cleaner being used to clean the backseats of a 740Li hahaha.

The actual AMG 45 has this recardo seats option...which makes the car look like this:
2017-mercedes-benz-cla45-amg-008-1.jpg

Damn that looks nice, save for the head unit lol.

It's been a while since we had AMG 45 but IIRC that thing torque steers like a Mazdaspeed3 haha. I remember getting out of our warehouse and the traction light was lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Is yours the MB-Tex thing or whatever? I honestly don't recall seeing a non-leather MB at work but now I gotta find one haha.

Talking about fuck you money... do you wanna know how much a battery costs for the G63?

A whopping $350 bucks!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that lol.

Worse is that the battery is located in between the front and passenger seats, like literally in the middle of the bitch seat(where their legs would rest on) so you gotta pull the carpet and shit just to get to it.

Despite that though, it's still irresistible. I was literally just hanging out by the car watching our techs work on it whenever I got the chance haha. I was like a fat kid in a buffet lol.

30772795723_a2c5de85a0_c.jpg

Yeah I'd also take the T/A.

The GTO is ridiculously cool but maintaining it is gonna be a pain in the ass. We had one at work a couple of months ago and the headlights had a crack with moisture in them so they sent one of our guys to our Chevy contact to get one. He comes not only empty handed but with fear in his eyes... a goddamn headlight assembly will cost us around $800 bucks and not only that... it'll take about 3-4 weeks to get one because Holden(yes, that Holden) has to ship one from Australia to the US.

We ended up ordering it and had somebody check eBay every day for a wrecked GTO with working headlight housings to show up lol.

Crayon

Speaking of my RSX, I got 4 new tires and rotors for it a month ago. Starts squeaking when I brake. I take it back to the place and they say they fixed it but a few days later...squeek. An annoying squeek. What could it be? I'm waiting until the holidays to go back home and get my parents' mechanic to look at it but damn is it annoying.

Could be contaminated. Did you get new pads at the same time?

$800 bucks and not only that... it'll take about 3-4 weeks to get one because Holden(yes, that Holden) has to ship one from Australia to the US.

Wtf. I had no idea it would be like that.

Top Gear (website) Lexus LC review

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/lexus/lc

Spoiler
they liked it

Well. I guess if you want something different. What other gt's are in that price bracket?

Pinewood

I drive my moms 95hp Corolla so the Subaru cant be that bad lol

Crayon

I drive my moms 95hp Corolla so the Subaru cant be that bad lol

Theres a huge weight difference with older cars. We just had a 2001 corolla and a 2016 corolla back to back and they both have about 130hp and a 1.8. The old one would burn the new one easily because there is like 500 more pounds of safety stuff and structural metal in the new one.

And the new impreza here is like 3100 pounds so 150 out of a 2 liter is just adequate. In an impreza from 15 years ago that would be kind of peppy. Comparable imprezas back then had around 110 hp and weighed more like 2600 pounds.

edit: you probably already know this I'm like thinking aloud or something. Browsing lots of car stuff rn.

Gaf thoughts on fiat coupe?

fiat__coupe_2_0_20v_turbo_plus_1999_1_lgw.jpg

boltz

How are Crosstreks anyway? I'm just trying to scope out the land after my RSX bites the dust eventually. I love it to death but I'm sure I'm gonna need more room in the future (Went from a CRV to an RSX).

Crosstreks are not my cup of tea - don't like the styling and with the CVT they are about as fast as a Prius.

Looks like we are picking up a 2017 mazda 3 hatch this weekend. S Grand Touring. Fiance loves mines so much she wants one too :)

2017 is refreshed inside n outside with G vectoring! Can't wait.

You guys could also mix it up and get a CX-5. Get a little more utility while retaining a good amount of the handling characteristics of the 3.

Pinewood

Theres a huge weight difference with older cars. We just had a 2001 corolla and a 2016 corolla back to back and they both have about 130hp and a 1.8. The old one would burn the new one easily because there is like 500 more pounds of safety stuff and structural metal in the new one.

And the new impreza here is like 3100 pounds so 150 out of a 2 liter is just adequate. In an impreza from 15 years ago that would be kind of peppy. Comparable imprezas back then had around 110 hp and weighed more like 2600 pounds.

edit: you probably already know this I'm like thinking aloud or something. Browsing lots of car stuff rn.

Gaf thoughts on fiat coupe?

fiat__coupe_2_0_20v_turbo_plus_1999_1_lgw.jpg

Well its a 2006 model. I mean its light and peppy but when I test drove the 160 hp 1.4 Scirocco and went back into the Corolla it felt sooo slow.

The Fiat Coupe looks really great and I wanted one for a while. Id still like to take one for a drive. Seems like a great second car.

mkenyon

Banned
It's a cute, incredibly reliable, and capable form of transportation. If you do a lot of hiking/mountain biking/skiing, then you can go BattleWagon style:

If you don't need AWD, there's definitely better options at the same price. And really, so few people actually need it. I've been doing fine in 2WD in my truck for the past two weeks, and we've had 1 foot of snow, which melted and froze into 3" of ice, which then was snowed on top of, melted, froze again, and more snow added. Only put it in 4WD once, which was when I was plowing through a back road on the way out to the facility where we keep horses.

AWD doesn't help in braking or turning, which is typically where you're going to have issues.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Is it a hobby/fun car or a daily driver?

The way I see it 80% of the car purchasing process is emotion and 20% reason. Especially when we're talking about a daily driver the new car is awesome and interesting for 2-3 weeks after that honeymoon period it's just a car and the ratio of thought shifts into 20% emotion 80% reason.

V8 rumble is nice and everything, but other than that you're not missing anything performance wise. You have EB so it already tells me that you don't have to compensate for anything ;) That extra $8k can be spent better in fake beards and funny hats anyway.

The 2.3L EB seems to be a solid motor. Responds to tunes really well. So you can make the EB mustang quick, cheap. That said, the 5.0 def has the sound on lock down. They sound so good with an exhaust. That's the one thing I'm ok with, but not thrilled by my RS is sound. Especially with the majority of aftermarket exhausts going for that typical euro-rasp sound. Borla just released a catback I kind of like, just wonder what it will sound like with a downpipe. The exhaust won't give me power, I just want sound to go with the pops. Ill be getting a ETS IC and another tune for my power in my round 2 of mods.

You can get quite a good sound out of the EB with an good exhaust. I drive the GT, the stock exhaust is really disappoint not matter what engine you choose. Was really the first thing that I had to change.

The EB is a nice engine and having power at low RPM is nice, besides the economic reasons. So it's really hard to compare an EB and a GT, both are great and it's good that they offer both.

It is my daily driver. I commute 250 miles a week for work and then all the other around town driving...

I just ordered a resonator delete today. I might not get the rumble of a V8, but goddamn, I need to hear SOMETHING. I still can't decide on an axle-back. Youtube videos are no good since piping sound through a speaker isn't even close to the real thing. I have time to decide - the intercooler and tune are going to be coming first.

You guys are a lot nicer than the people over on mustang6g. Go outside of the ecoboost sub-forum and the GT guys dogpile on you.

My fiance has a Subaru Legacy as a rental car while she's getting some body work done on her car.

I like it. It definitely handles better than any FWD sedan like a Camry or an Accord, and it has the trademark rumble of the boxer engine.

The CVT is what it is, but definitely is not the worst transmission in the world. It's 100x better than the 9 speed shitbox auto transmission in the Chrysler 200 I drove last week.

I haven't peeked under the hood to see if it's the 4 banger or the 6, but if it's a 4 cylinder it definitely has more pickup than I thought it has any right to.

Not bad Subaru, not bad. I think the driving dynamics are great, the interior is meh in terms of feel (lot of hard plastics), but for the price it's definitely not a bad car for the class.

Bandit1

Did I just commit German car mortal sin?

That's a genuine official Mercedes Benz Leather care/cleaner being used to clean the backseats of a 740Li hahaha.

Hey at least it's still German right? Lol

Yeah I'd also take the T/A.

The GTO is ridiculously cool but maintaining it is gonna be a pain in the ass. We had one at work a couple of months ago and the headlights had a crack with moisture in them so they sent one of our guys to our Chevy contact to get one. He comes not only empty handed but with fear in his eyes... a goddamn headlight assembly will cost us around $800 bucks and not only that... it'll take about 3-4 weeks to get one because Holden(yes, that Holden) has to ship one from Australia to the US.

We ended up ordering it and had somebody check eBay every day for a wrecked GTO with working headlight housings to show up lol.

I knew they were made in Australia but it never really occurred to me that it might be difficult/expensive to get parts. Probably doesn't help the car is ten years old now.

ascii42

What. The. Fuck!?!

Porsche 911:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=439005123

Someone needs to buy this. Now. Look at the interior before replying. If anything, it makes the car somehow MORE functional.

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I'm amused that the page doesn't mention that at all. Actually, it's false advertising. The Seating Capacity clearly 4, and that is clearly only a 3 seater.

That's only a couple hours away from me. Slightly tempted to go see it.

AlphaSnake

I wonder if this was converted for someone with a disability or something. That's a hell of a lot of customization.

If he was physically disabled, there'd be no way he'd be able to get into that thing.

It was clearly done for the McLaren purpose.

AlphaSnake

He wanted that McLaren F1 double handjob experience from the passengers.

Btw what do you guys think of the new Merc E class coupe? I think it looks familiar.

BIFle0n.jpg

ocMbPEi.jpg

Hahaha holy shit...

But it's no surprise now that I think about it. The last E-Class' rear looked like a Mitsubishi Galant.

Evo X

That 911. LOL.

Speaking of, did you guys catch the GT3RS vs M4GTS segment on the latest Grand Tour? That shit was pretty brutal.

rokkerkory

Crosstreks are not my cup of tea - don't like the styling and with the CVT they are about as fast as a Prius.

You guys could also mix it up and get a CX-5. Get a little more utility while retaining a good amount of the handling characteristics of the 3.

the new 2018 CX-5 is out in Spring so we cannot wait that long... when my current 3 lease is up, for sure getting the new CX-5! shit is nice!

Top Bottom