• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

rokkerkory

He wanted that McLaren F1 double handjob experience from the passengers.

Btw what do you guys think of the new Merc E class coupe? I think it looks familiar.

BIFle0n.jpg

ocMbPEi.jpg

that is soooo ugly lol

what the heck happened

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That 911. LOL.

Speaking of, did you guys catch the GT3RS vs M4GTS segment on the latest Grand Tour? That shit was pretty brutal.

I wouldn't touch that overpriced BMW with a ten foot pole. The Porsche is in a different class and league.

Evo X

evo have released their video for Car of the Year. As always, 26 minutes of gorgeous car footage mixed with some great insight. No one is going to be shocked by the winner, but I was surprised by the placement order of the other cars. Worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/QxthzMs_M-M

Pinewood

evo have released their video for Car of the Year. As always, 26 minutes of gorgeous car footage mixed with some great insight. No one is going to be shocked by the winner, but I was surprised by the placement order of the other cars. Worth a watch.

These videos always make me kinda jelous from a job perspective.

Will watch at home, took a quick sneek peak, but just listening to the audio while occasionally glancing at the video at work doesnt really cut it

matmanx1

What. The. Fuck!?!

Porsche 911:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=439005123

Someone needs to buy this. Now. Look at the interior before replying. If anything, it makes the car somehow MORE functional.

I've actually purchased a car from this dealership before. It was the 2010 IS250 and I traded in the 2007 Boxster for it. They were easy to deal with and eager to deal.

That customization is pretty extensive. It looks, dare I say it, factory? I'd really be interested in hearing the story behind this car, especially since it only has 15k miles on it.

Pinewood

I like that a (limited run already sold out) hot hatch made the top three. Would like to actually drive these cars so I could formulate my own opinion instead of nodding along to others tho

J-Rzez

It is my daily driver. I commute 250 miles a week for work and then all the other around town driving...

I just ordered a resonator delete today. I might not get the rumble of a V8, but goddamn, I need to hear SOMETHING. I still can't decide on an axle-back. Youtube videos are no good since piping sound through a speaker isn't even close to the real thing. I have time to decide - the intercooler and tune are going to be coming first.

You guys are a lot nicer than the people over on mustang6g. Go outside of the ecoboost sub-forum and the GT guys dogpile on you.

Sometimes people get a little warm in here during discussions, not heated, but warm lol. But generally everyone here is an automotive lover, from casual to gearhead.

I agree with audio from YT vids for exhausts. At least it gives you some idea to how it will sound though where as in the past if you didn't hear it in person, you rolled the dice when ordering an exhaust.

From what I can tell the EB Mustang and my RS are similar in response to mods, so it will be interesting to see what we think of them. I can tell you for example, a tune is a night and day game changer for the car, even without supporting mods. In round 2 of ordering a bunch of stuff for the car, I'll be going with a ETS intercooler, new tune (probably multiple tunes depending on fuel used), full exhaust rather than my "modded" one now for sound, antiroll bars, and a good set of track tires for road courses and hill climbs.

Futaba

Decided when I get back home to Japan i'm going to sell all but my 86 (to keep as a DD) and the new project car. The rest, both on road and the ones in dry storage are going, I'll probably sell the skyline to rocky auto since he's been asking about it.

Got new responsibilities that demand that I not spend my weekends hurtling through mountain passes sideways.

Also going to be developing some completely custom body panels...

mkenyon

Banned
Decided when I get back home to Japan i'm going to sell all but my 86 (to keep as a DD) and the new project car. The rest, both on road and the ones in dry storage are going, I'll probably sell the skyline to rocky auto since he's been asking about it.

Got new responsibilities that demand that I not spend my weekends hurtling through mountain passes sideways.

Grats on the baby? :)

FStop7

Banned
Saw an FD3S RX7 for sale, R2 package, silver, super clean, low miles... price is high though. But that's legitimately one of my unicorn cars.

you can just send them my way. I think that would be a better idea.

Bandit1

I'm interested to see your project car and your custom body panels... What material are we talking about?

Futaba

I'm interested to see your project car and your custom body panels... What material are we talking about?
All will be revealed once I get back to Japan and get started on the paperwork for it.

As for custom body panels, likely hand carved template then dry carbon

Can you elaborate, Im not familiar with those

E: Im still excited because we need electric cars that dont look like they are out of GTA

Similar backers as the people behind Farady Future, which is currently out of money and putting all construction on hold. They haven't even made the payments that were promised yet.

Now they're starting up another company? Not high hopes.

Bandit1

All will be revealed once I get back to Japan and get started on the paperwork for it.

As for custom body panels, likely hand carved template then dry carbon

Wow, that's pretty cool. I'd love to see some of the process that goes into it if you'd be willing to share.

boltz

Thank you for that. Going to pick something in the next few days here.

Anyone tried these? BFG g force sport comp-2

Those were my last set of tires and I was happy with them. I was going to get them again since they are one of the cheaper, well reviewed tires, but I was able to get the Continental ExtremeContact DWs for the same price on Cyber Monday.

Malvolio

Nice video, a bit too much exposition on the COTY itself, but still a great watch. So happy to see the Clubsport S show well. I'm a bit biased, but it's actually the car that I would be most interested in taking for a spin. I love when manufacturers squeeze every bit of performance out of a standard car. Would love to compare how it feels to a standard GTI.

matmanx1

I actually came here to post a link to this video this morning but you beat me to the punch. The winner is expected but the runner up being the GTI Clubsport is downright shocking. I would love to drive one. Are they bringing something similar over to the States at all?

Thank you for that. Going to pick something in the next few days here.

Anyone tried these? BFG g force sport comp-2

Yes, I have them on my Miata. Great tire in terms of price to performance and the wet weather traction is fantastic. As a bonus, they also have a quiet ride. The only thing I don't like about them is how they look from the side. The tread grooves are quite aggressive and stick up so that you can see them around the sidewall. The look is less sporty and more "mud tire". Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with them.

Evo X

I really want to take the Clubsport S out for a spin too, but it looks like they only made 400 of them and none are coming stateside.

Why are all the best cars so limited?

I was just updating the maintenance history for my 911 and it got me thinking, does anybody else have detailed lists of all of their repairs? I have copies of all of my receipts, but I've also listed all the repairs and parts I've purchased on an excel spreadsheet--the total of which I've labeled "THE SHAME OF IT ALL".

So if you're curious about the maintenance cost of a 30+ year old Porsche that gets about 3-5k miles per year, the answer is "more than I thought".

Real answer:
$16,827.39, but that includes a not quite necessary partial transmission rebuild with engine drop and $3,300 in fancy exhaust. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist so if all I had wanted was a running car it would have been a little over $2,500.

I have to find better things to spend money on.

Crayon

Yes, I have them on my Miata. Great tire in terms of price to performance and the wet weather traction is fantastic. As a bonus, they also have a quiet ride. The only thing I don't like about them is how they look from the side. The tread grooves are quite aggressive and stick up so that you can see them around the sidewall. The look is less sporty and more "mud tire". Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with them.

Well that sounds right up my alley. Thank you for the impressions. I have great faith in Miata drivers.

Those were my last set of tires and I was happy with them. I was going to get them again since they are one of the cheaper, well reviewed tires, but I was able to get the Continental ExtremeContact DWs for the same price on Cyber Monday.

And thank you as well. I'm going to call for these now.

Aaaand....Ordered.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Eyes rolling out of my head @ the EVO winner. What else would it be, of course.

Boring, but deserved. The Golf would have been an interesting #1 tho.

HEY! This morning I was stuck in traffic with a cherry new F Type and MY GOD WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAR. Even better in real life. Like, if I was in the market for an idiotic Corvette/Cayman etc, this would be my pick. No contest. Lowest spec. Don't care about performance, pure looks.

Just stunning.

It gives and gave me Aston Martin vibes design wise but then a Vantage pulled up and they actually don't look all that alike. Surprisingly the Jag was exuding fit and finish. Panel gaps you couldn't get a credit card in. Photos don't do it justice, presence wise.

CPpispw.jpg

AlphaSnake

Eyes rolling out of my head @ the EVO winner. What else would it be, of course.

This video is terrible so far. The voices are too drowned out and they didn't do any real presentation in front of them. It's like a podcast with video. I'd rather read this than watch it...

FStop7

Banned

Is it deserved, though? It's not a car that anyone can buy, even if you have the cash in hand. It was very limited in production and sold out before it was even made public. I honestly took it as kind of an insult to the Porsche fanbase considering how vocally they've been asking for that very car, and then Porsche makes it, but only in a tiny, pre-sold quantity.

The shit's so pretentious and masturbatory at this point.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it deserved, though? It's not a car that anyone can buy, even if you have the cash in hand. It was very limited in production and sold out before it was even made public. I honestly took it as kind of an insult to the Porsche fanbase considering how vocally they've been asking for that very car, and then Porsche makes it, but only in a tiny, pre-sold quantity.

Evo isn't Motor trend tho. Unicorns are their bread and butter. I lose nothing (except entertainment) by hearing how amazing a Porsche I can't buy is. truth is, I couldn't buy that Porsche even if they made too many of them and they were half off.

What DOES bother me about it though is that Porsche is like the Yankees or the Patriots winning. Now we have to listen to insufferable fans talking about how well deserved it is.

I'd almost rather listen to one of them going on about how air cooling is better.

AlphaSnake

Yep. We had that same discussion many pages back about the 911R. It should seriously be excluded from winning awards like this because no one will ever own it or ever understand how great it is. This was simply a cash grab for Porsche to make a fortune off of their richest clientele.

Yep. We had that same discussion many pages back about the 911R. It should seriously be excluded from winning awards like this because no one will ever own it or ever understand how great it is. This was simply a cash grab for Porsche to make a fortune off of their richest clientele.

Agreed, though I definitely see the appeal of the car, the (un)attainability makes it uninteresting if not irrelevant.

AlphaSnake

HEY! This morning I was stuck in traffic with a cherry new F Type and MY GOD WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAR. Even better in real life. Like, if I was in the market for an idiotic Corvette/Cayman etc, this would be my pick. No contest. Lowest spec. Don't care about performance, pure looks.

Just stunning.

It gives and gave me Aston Martin vibes design wise but then a Vantage pulled up and they actually don't look all that alike. Surprisingly the Jag was exuding fit and finish. Panel gaps you couldn't get a credit card in. Photos don't do it justice, presence wise.

CPpispw.jpg

Even the low-spec V6 model with a proper 6MT can be tuned to 400HP with a simple $1200 pulley and tune pack that most Jag dealers will install and warranty. I damn near pulled the trigger, before I found my XKR. The base V6 is also very lightweight, only weighs 3450lbs. So with the 400HP tune, it has a great power-to-weight ratio. The R is AWD only, and tips the scales at 4050lbs, even if it has 550HP.

The F-Type is absolutely perfect, imo.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
some of you may (probably not) remember that my evo has thrown a p2096 code since getting tuned (with high flow cat, exhaust, upper intercooler piping, high flow air filter drop in, and boost controller). Code P2096 means post catalyst system fuel trim too lean on bank 1. from what i've researched, this is a tricky code with evo's and is often a result of a boost leak or bad o2 sensor. just prior to the cel triggering i'd notice my AFR drop a bit and begin to fluctuate more wildly. after disconnecting the battery i'd be good to go for about 2 weeks before it would happen again.

now that its winter though, its been an unheard of 6 weeks or so with no cel and a rock solid AFR. which got me thinking that the air temperature and more specifically air density may be playing a role in my issue.

could p2096 be triggering throughout most of the year because i'm at 4500' and the air is significantly thinner than where i was tuned (sea level)?

mkenyon

Banned
I thought the Motor Trend vid of it was pretty great though. Especially where he sits there and has you listen to all of the audible mechanical noises the car is making in slight operation.

AlphaSnake

Still waiting for Evo x to buy and modify a standard mass production car himself :p

Honestly, I STILL dream about my 370Z. If the new Z turns out to be a bust, I'm definitely going to buy another 370Z 6MT, fully loaded like mine was, do bolt ons and a supercharger with light boost. Nothing insane. While still keeping the Jaaaaaaag

Crayon

Honestly, I STILL dream about my 370Z. If the new Z turns out to be a bust, I'm definitely going to buy another 370Z 6MT, fully loaded like mine was, do bolt ons and a supercharger with light boost. Nothing insane. While still keeping the Jaaaaaaag

I was holding a 370z for a bit and it was really nice. This one had very soft springs and shocks which was frustrating because the whole car was on point.

edit: random z.

300zx.jpg

AlphaSnake

I was holding a 370z for a bit and it was really nice. This one had very soft springs and shocks which was frustrating because the whole car was on point.

edit: random z.

300zx.jpg

What year was it? 2012+ I believe had a revised suspension. The dampers in general though are great. I dropped mine and it still rode amazing!

Crayon

What year was it? 2012+ I believe had a revised suspension. The dampers in general though are great. I dropped mine and it still rode amazing!

I do not recall the year. I believe it was the first year. This one had some questionable customization done for a wealthy older restaurateur. It had some really embarrassing embroidery on the seats and odd little touches like that. This gentleman has a vast car collection and I think this was his attempt at a "modified import".

I actually suspected that the springs and dampers had been changed to something softer than standard for him as he was not in the greatest shape. The ride was pretty comfy and the handling was balanced but there was just not nearly enough damper or spring. I could drag the underbody wicker braking hard and the rear seemed to use so much of it's stroke that is was actually kind of nasty on a wavy road. I wondered since if there was some sort of comfort option from the factory or if it had been set up for a soft ride just for him. Regardless, it was a fresh vehicle with few miles. Purple. Automatic. He had become bored of it and was selling it on.

I was just updating the maintenance history for my 911 and it got me thinking, does anybody else have detailed lists of all of their repairs? I have copies of all of my receipts, but I've also listed all the repairs and parts I've purchased on an excel spreadsheet--the total of which I've labeled "THE SHAME OF IT ALL".

So if you're curious about the maintenance cost of a 30+ year old Porsche that gets about 3-5k miles per year, the answer is "more than I thought".

Real answer:
$16,827.39, but that includes a not quite necessary partial transmission rebuild with engine drop and $3,300 in fancy exhaust. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist so if all I had wanted was a running car it would have been a little over $2,500.

I have to find better things to spend money on.

How long have you had it for?

I wouldn't feel too bad though, even if you've had it for only a short amount of time, it probably increased in value. Especially since you've documented all the stuff you've taken care of.

I've spent 2300 euro on my Boxster in the one year I've owned it, but that was in one go, to update the IMS bearing.

How long have you had it for?

I wouldn't feel too bad though, even if you've had it for only a short amount of time, it probably increased in value. Especially since you've documented all the stuff you've taken care of.

I've spent 2300 euro on my Boxster in the one year I've owned it, but that was in one go, to update the IMS bearing.

Three and a half years! I don't feel too bad about it, though, because yeah the value has gone up and I'm a perfectionist so it feels really good to have the car running right. Was it really 2300 euros for doing the IMS? I thought it was way cheaper than that. Did you have somebody do the work?

matmanx1

So apparently there's a Gulf edition snake. "Malayan Blue Coral Snake"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qzvHEj4bfs4/UIibtRxBBRI/AAAAAAAAAYA/Wg0Ywitvg20/s640/ring+neck.png

Hahahaha.

Regarding the Evo CotY, I have no problem with the 911R winning. It's their review, it's their show, and if the 911R was truly their favorite car from the among the contestants (and 5 out of the 7 judges had it in 1st place) then it deserves to win. Attainability is sort of a nebulous concept anyway when it comes to supercars. What's attainable to some folks is completely unattainable to others.

If there's something to be salty about it would be the GTI Clubsport being Europe only. I'd love a chance to see and drive one someday.

Top Bottom