• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Crayon

For a track toy? Definitely. For a daily driver to occasionally hoon? Not for me. Even my Miata, as small and impractical as it can sometimes be, has to be able to go to the grocery store, out to eat and back and forth to work. No squeaking for me, thank you very much.

I freaking hate squeeky bushings.
Had a TRD away bar upgrade back in the day that came with urethane bushings and a small pack of grease and no matter how well you greased them up within 50 miles they were squeeking like a wooden floor outside your girlfriend's parents room as you sneak past in the night on your first sleep over from the guest room...

The firmness is great, the resistance to ovalling too, the noise.. not so good.

So I brought this up because I end up using urethane because it's not always that easy to get members with replacement rubber. I think of the squeaking as just the sound of a part doing it's job.

I'm actually thinking of trying to pour my own urethane into an old rubber bushing with holes to shore it up. Seems like it might be easier overall than getting spare members, finding compatible bushings, digging out the old rubber, and getting the new ones pressed in, maybe ripping one. I am pleased with urethane motor mount inserts I have used, so maybe something like that would be good for at least some suspension bushings? Just pull the member, drill out some spaces throu the rubber if it doesn't already have that, and pour the urethane in. hmmm.....

Futaba

So I brought this up because I end up using urethane because it's not always that easy to get members with replacement rubber. I think of the squeaking as just the sound of a part doing it's job.

I'm actually thinking of trying to pour my own urethane into an old rubber bushing with holes to shore it up. Seems like it might be easier overall than getting spare members, finding compatible bushings, digging out the old rubber, and getting the new ones pressed in, maybe ripping one. I am pleased with urethane motor mount inserts I have used, so maybe something like that would be good for at least some suspension bushings? Just pull the member, drill out some spaces throu the rubber if it doesn't already have that, and pour the urethane in. hmmm.....

Here you go
https://youtu.be/2_0BYvTkZ0o

Crayon

Yeeeeeeeesssssss. I'm trying this next time. Thank you!!

Edit: I see he has removed the old bushing and recovered the pin. I was thinking to dig out the majority of the rubber but leave some to locate the pin and to save the work of getting everything out. Then I would just fill is it urethane. Some motor mount inserts just go right over your old beat rubber.

Futaba

Yeeeeeeeesssssss. I'm trying this next time. Thank you!!

Edit: I see he has removed the old bushing and recovered the pin. I was thinking to dig out the majority of the rubber but leave some to locate the pin and to save the work of getting everything out. Then I would just fill is it urethane. Some motor mount inserts just go right over your old beat rubber.

Yeah, it's best to pull out the old rubber when redoing them, you could just drill some holes and fill them with poly but you may end up with inconsistent compression but most of all you introduce a situation where either the inserted poly could work loose or round out as a result of the inconsistent compression, much better if the old rubbers failing to just burn it out with a blowtorch, recover the pin and recast it.

Anion

Just got my TSW rims. Found out that the standard MB center caps are a perfect fit.
img_14368is74.jpg

Does anyone know what these orange things are? Im guessing they are wheel spacers of some kind.

SliChillax

Pretty much what I thought it would be. SV without the wing or badges.

Current Aventadors have already started to take a huge hit. Lamborghini Newport Beach dropped the asking price on their Roadsters by $20k yesterday.

Good news as my friend with the GT3RS wants to pick one up.
Crazy to think it was unveiled in 2011, time flies. The Aventador strangely enough is a car that I like to look at but I'd never want to own one even if I had the money.

SliChillax

A friend of mine owns one, he also owns a Ferrari F12. He never drives the Lambo cause it's awful compared to the Ferrari he says. He's looking to sell the Aventador just after he bought it 2 months ago. He's not even the first guy to say that about the Aventador. I also don't like how the interior feels in the Aventador. Some cheap plastics like the steering wheel center piece and leather feels like you're in a normal Audi. The Ferrari feels like it's the more special cockpit.

My new car has just arrived on UK shores this morning, a month ahead of schedule! God damn this is exciting, looking to collect between Christmas and New Years. What a Christmas present!

OldMan

Banned
Is there a pre heat button you press from your key that starts warming up your car's interior? I've seen devices and seat warmers that heat your car instantly w/out fucking around in the dash but nothing previously said. I fee like pre heating your car's interior w/out actually stepping outside especially during the cold months would benefit a lot of families on cold mornings.

Best regards, and drive safe on them roads,

OM

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Just got my TSW rims. Found out that the standard MB center caps are a perfect fit.

Does anyone know what these orange things are? Im guessing they are wheel spacers of some kind.

Hubcentric rings. Make sure you mount them before mounting the wheels.

Pinewood

Is there a pre heat button you press from your key that starts warming up your car's interior? I've seen devices and seat warmers that heat your car instantly w/out fucking around in the dash but nothing previously said. I fee like pre heating your car's interior w/out actually stepping outside especially during the cold months would benefit a lot of families on cold mornings.

Best regards, and drive safe on them roads,

OM

Yup, some systems start up the engine but you can also preinstall a device that heats up the engine and interior, but doesnt actually start the engine.

I see more point in the device if outside degrees go below freezing, then you can deice the car windows.

Finally got the diff fluid changed in my e36.
Goddamn, I don't know how you do this job without the special BMW hex socket.

Also I probably now have to throw away these clothes.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I unfortunately opened up a case to exchange my 2016 XF for another one. After I had my initial AC issue after taking delivery, the interior was just never the same. The rattles from the dash and console just drive me nuts. Luckily, Florida has a really good lemon law where if a car is out of usage for 15 days or more, it is eligible to be bought back. That was the case with mine, and I've since also taken it back to get some of the rattles cleared up as well, and they just come back.

So I started a case and will need to drop off the car at the dealership. :\

rokkerkory

Here's my new 2017 S Grand Touring Mazda 3 hatch (lighter silver) next to my girl's 2015 S Touring. I case you couldn't tell, we love the 3 lol.

Improvements:
- refreshed ext / int including new steering wheel and LEDs
- smart city brake
- heated steering wheel
- G Vectoring Control
- color heads up display
- Quieter Interior

15542349_10154726301838758_7699412917413588012_n.jpg

15590039_10154726301843758_4411297837733106355_n.jpg

15541463_10154726301893758_6615469727802681660_n.jpg

I unfortunately opened up a case to exchange my 2016 XF for another one. After I had my initial AC issue after taking delivery, the interior was just never the same. The rattles from the dash and console just drive me nuts. Luckily, Florida has a really good lemon law where if a car is out of usage for 15 days or more, it is eligible to be bought back. That was the case with mine, and I've since also taken it back to get some of the rattles cleared up as well, and they just come back.

Oof. Good luck. Have you contacted an attorney specializing in lemon law?

Anion

Here's my new 2017 S Grand Touring Mazda 3 hatch (lighter silver) next to my girl's 2015 S Touring. I case you couldn't tell, we love the 3 lol.

Woah, congrats man! I have to say the Mazda 3 looks incredibly pretty in silver

Wow, those TSW wheels are gorgeous!

Can't wait to see them mounted.

They are hubcentric rings. They are placed on your hub so there is no wobble with the new wheels.

Hubcentric rings. Make sure you mount them before mounting the wheels.

Those are glorious great choice.

Thanks guys, I cant wait to mount them. It is my first set of aftermarket rims.
I had no idea what those rings were. Will make sure they get installed!

Improvements:
- smart city brake
- heated steering wheel
- G Vectoring Control
- color heads up display
- Quieter Interior

Did you give the old one to her? Haha

Crayon

Improvements:
- smart city brake
- heated steering wheel
- G Vectoring Control
- color heads up display
- Quieter Interior

Such a handsome lil whip. Very nice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Improvements:
- smart city brake
- heated steering wheel
- G Vectoring Control
- color heads up display
- Quieter Interior

New grill is nice. Also this means Mazda 3 stays as gaf's default "what car should I get?" car.

Not yet. I'll see how Jaguar handles it. They know I'm a loyal buyer and they asked me to drop the car off, which I will on Wednesday.

Oh okay, hopefully not too bad then. It almost sounds like the sort of thing they could straighten out and resell the car after. Pull the whole dash and put it back together right sort of thing.

Either that or just resell it, "Oh those rattles are because its handmade!"

matmanx1

Looks fantastic. Nice call on the rims.

Doh! Sorry to hear that man. For what it's worth I now have an intermittent rattle in my passenger side door on the Miata that started after I got it back from being worked on after the deer ran into the car. Modern car plastics really do not like being taken apart and put back together again. Fortunately for me, the rattle isn't all the time or even most of the time.

Improvements:
- smart city brake
- heated steering wheel
- G Vectoring Control
- color heads up display
- Quieter Interior

Very nice. I just talked to a friend of mine who's waiting to get one of the new CX-5's that launched in Spring of 2017. Mazda is making great cars these days.

Pinewood

I think there is a Golf GTI Clubsport 40(not the S from EVO) standing in my office garage. I think the guy also owns a 911

So uhh, how is the best way to make new car buddies? Asking for a friend

FStop7

Banned
I think there is a Golf GTI Clubsport 40(not the S from EVO) standing in my office garage. I think the guy also owns a 911

Seductively stretch out nude on the hood of the car and wait for the owner to arrive

mkenyon

Banned

The same way you score a date. Make it all about them and their car while remaining cool.

J-Rzez

I can confirm:

The Focus RS can be steady as hell in the snow. Or, with the push of 2 buttons, the most fun you can have on 4 wheels in snow. Damn its a blast.

The wife said, "wow this thing just goes in the snow wherever you want." I then promptly put it into drift mode and hit the magic button to disable all nannies and showed her how it really can do whatever I want it to lol.

Oxn

Need some car trouble help.

So last week i discovered that the front passenger side of my carpet was wet after it rained. Turned out my sunroof was leaking because the drainpipe was clogged. So we blew some air into it and cleared it out. Ok problem solved.

Now there are 2 more problems, im having. Not sure if it is related but it might.

1. During that same time my passenger side back floor carpet was also wet. Not as wet as the front use to be but under the weather mat it is wet. I didnt think to ask the people that clear my drain pipe if it was related, and by fixing the 1st issue, if it also fixed this issue. It hasnt rained since so i do not know for certain. And its cold as hell now, so the carpet is pretty much frozen. I dont think its the door vapor thingy, since the door is not wet nor the side carpet that lead to the floor, just the floor. And i dont think its coming from above. What can be the problem?

2. My rear window on the inside gets frosted very easily. What can be the issue here? I read some say heater core is leaking. But then wouldnt that frost all my windows?

Please help.

Futaba

Need some car trouble help.

2. My rear window on the inside gets frosted very easily. What can be the issue here? I read some say heater core is leaking. But then wouldnt that frost all my windows?.
Check the boot carpet and under the spare for signs of water ingress, also check back seats/carpets for wetness too, grab some dehumidifier packs and toss them in the boot and in the back, window frosting on the inside is usually a sign of high moisture levels inside the car.

Another thing to check is the seals around all windows / seal around the sunroof, and sunroof track.

A couple of these should help:

rokkerkory

Woah, congrats man! I have to say the Mazda 3 looks incredibly pretty in silver

thanks man

Did you give the old one to her? Haha

Yeah I did, cheaper lease and insurance payments for her :)

Such a handsome lil whip. Very nice.

thank u

New grill is nice. Also this means Mazda 3 stays as gaf's default "what car should I get?" car.

I hope so for the sub-compact market esp after the refresh!

Very nice. I just talked to a friend of mine who's waiting to get one of the new CX-5's that launched in Spring of 2017. Mazda is making great cars these days.

Yeah! After the lease is up on our 2015 model in 1.5 years, we'll get the new CX-5. The salesperson said they may be giving the CX-5 a signature trim ala CX-9 as well.

Would be amazing. I am personally hoping there will be a small turbo in the future to go along with the diesel engine.

Evo X

Since my brother is out touring Asia for a few weeks on vacation, I've been driving his S550 Coupe.

Man, what a nice car. It's like the opposite of the GT4. Supremely quite and comfortable, effortless power from the twin turbo V8, and loaded with tech like auto driving cruise control.

My favorite thing is the 24 speaker Burmester sound system with 3D audio. Nicest setup I've experienced in a car. Some of the effects in songs freaked me out because they were coming from literally everywhere around me. A few felt like they were resonating from inside my chest. Lol.

Would make a great stablemate to my car. Hopefully one day I can afford to do that.

matmanx1

Since my brother is out touring Asia for a few weeks on vacation, I've been driving his S550 Coupe.

Man, what a nice car. It's like the opposite of the GT4. Supremely quite and comfortable, effortless power from the twin turbo V8, and loaded with tech like auto driving cruise control.

My favorite thing is the 24 speaker Burmester sound system with 3D audio. Nicest setup I've experienced in a car. Some of the effects in songs freaked me out because they were coming from literally everywhere around me. A few felt like they were resonating from inside my chest. Lol.

Would make a great stablemate to my car. Hopefully one day I can afford to do that.

Yeah I'm a sucker for a great audio setup. I've actually been a "music guy" for longer than I've been a "car guy". One of my wishlist items for a future daily driver is a truly incredible sound system. Dealing with traffic and bad weather means you can't always drive in a "fun" way but a great audio system is useful 100% of the time. Totally worth the investment from my perspective.

boltz

I need to replace my rotors in the near future - am I crazy for wanting to go to 2-piece rotors? I plan on doing maybe one or two track events per year but I want them mainly for the weight savings (~4 lbs/wheel, $1500 for the whole set of Girodisc rotors).

SummitAve

Banned
Oil puddle on the driveway after an extremely cold start with the Miata. Doesn't appear to be actively leaking. It's tough to tell with the snow melting and mixing with the leaked oil today. No new drops were found after waiting overnight though. Dipstick readings are normal. Was able to reach under and feel oil on the filter so my current optimistic guess is the filter seal failed under the cold high pressure situation. Haven't had a chance to get it up on ramps or a jack for a better look. Just going to bring it up to the shop for an oil change and inspection and hope it isn't anything more serious. Blah...

I need to replace my rotors in the near future - am I crazy for wanting to go to 2-piece rotors? I plan on doing maybe one or two track events per year but I want them mainly for the weight savings (~4 lbs/wheel, $1500 for the whole set of Girodisc rotors).

Yeah you're kinda crazy. Lots of other things that you could be doing to improve your car's feel (feel, not speed, because who are you trying to impress??) that are way cheaper than fancy two-piece rotors.

Worry about two-piece rotors when your track-only pads using your racing brake fluid stopping R-comp wheels overheat and crack one of your regular rotors.

rokkerkory

I would put the money elsewhere if you want to lightly track Do you have good track pads, ss lines and fluid already?

Futaba

I assume you already have SS lines, larger calipers (more pots) and better material brake pads already? Also are the two piece rotors bigger?

If you're just slapping on two piece rotors to drop your rotational mass, you would benefit way more in just buying a beat up set of gram lights and running lighter tires than you would from $1500 worth of rotors.

Top Bottom