• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

If you had $15,000-20,000 CAD, what used car would you get?

Right now I have a lease ending in the summer for my Kia Rio, and I'm eyeing some used Scion FR-S's. The only caveat I have to that is, it's not the most practical choice, especially for a Toronto winter (I'd have winter tires, though).

However, this is probably the only time in my life where I can get away with a non-practical "sports" car. (I put it in quotes because y'know.)

I know I'm probably the only one who's going to say this, but if you can find a 3.8 Genesis, it might be worth a test drive, it might be slightly more than 20k, but it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. Just make sure it wasn't beaten to hell and back, which sadly tends to be the case rather often. The 2.0 turbo is decent too, a lot more powerful than the FR-S, but it's nowhere close to being as nice as the 3.8.

Futaba

I know I'm probably the only one who's going to say this, but if you can find a 3.8 Genesis, it might be worth a test drive, it might be slightly more than 20k, but it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. Just make sure it wasn't beaten to hell and back, which sadly tends to be the case rather often. The 2.0 turbo is decent too, a lot more powerful than the FR-S, but it's nowhere close to being as nice as the 3.8.

he could probably buy a used supercharged/turbo'd frs/brz for around $18k though!
a frs/brz with forced induction is close to perfect.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man, EVO the GT4 seems like a pretty amazing car that should be held on to for as long as possible and enjoyed (driven as much as you God damn please). Why don't you hold on to it for years, build a relationship with it and give fuck-all about what potential buyers think about the mileage you put on it? Invest the extra money you'd spend on a AMG GTR and then really shoot up the ladder.

S Class, X5, and GT4 is a fucking bitchin stable for someone that hasn't hit 30 yet.

The GT4 is his only car. The others are relatives car's (parents, I think?). As amazing as the AMG is, it'll depreciate quicker than the Porsche. So it's a bad swap financially. The GT4 is also the last and only naturally aspirated, purpose built and manual transmission Porsche before they've all switched to turbos.

he could probably buy a used supercharged/turbo'd frs/brz for around $18k though!
a frs/brz with forced induction is close to perfect.

I just can't understand when people go for one of the twins above a 3.8.

No offense to anyone who owns one, if you're happy with it, good for you. But I find the FR-S to be waaay overpriced, underpowered, and under equipped.

And I think the Genesis is getting a seriously unfair treatment due to it being a Hyundai, the thing has a better engine than a 370Z, is going to match it down the quarter mile, has better equipment, has one of the better sounding V6 out there, and still costs the same as a BRZ.

Carlos Lago even gave it an A+ for how fun to drive it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVLRS2QPcE&feature=youtu.be&t=4m23s

Sure, the front looks a bit weird and the shifter sucks. But I'll take a shitty shifter and an extra 150hp and better equipment any day.

But hey, it's a Hyundai.

Edit:
AlphaSnake said:
The GT4 is also the last and only naturally aspirated, purpose built and manual transmission Porsche before they've all switched to turbos.

Wasn't the Porsche GT3 supposed to stay naturally aspirated?

Futaba

I just can't understand when people go for one of the twins above a 3.8.

No offense to anyone who owns one, if you're happy with it, good for you. But I find the FR-S to be waaay overpriced, underpowered, and under equipped.

And I think the Genesis is getting a seriously unfair treatment due to it being a Hyundai, the thing has a better engine than a 370Z, is going to match it down the quarter mile, has better equipment, has one of the better sounding V6 out there, and still costs the same as a BRZ.

Carlos Lago even gave it an A+ for how fun to drive it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGVLRS2QPcE&feature=youtu.be&t=4m23s

Sure, the front looks a bit weird and the shifter sucks. But I'll take a shitty shifter and an extra 150hp and better equipment any day.

But hey, it's a Hyundai.

Edit:

We have largely different opinions because mine is based on both the performance of the car and how they are to work on, and my experience with both (and thousands of other vehicles, to be fair) has been that I find the twins notably nicer to work on in terms of documentation, ease of access, sane design choices and availability of oem/to-oem-spec and aftermarket parts sets the twins above most other vehicles in the same price bracket, the same goes for upgrades and mods, which let's be honest is a large part of what the twins were built for, hell for the longest while I was seriously considering the RC spec one in Japan that is so cut back it doesn't even include the dashboard panels, no paint on the bumpers and steel rims!

If all you want to do is hand over money then be driving, and the only person lifting the bonnet will be the ones working in garages, then by all means, go with a genesis, but if you like tinkering, in my opinion, the twins are the clear choice.

SliChillax

The GT4 is his only car. The others are relatives car's (parents, I think?). As amazing as the AMG is, it'll depreciate quicker than the Porsche. So it's a bad swap financially. The GT4 is also the last and only naturally aspirated, purpose built and manual transmission Porsche before they've all switched to turbos.

The GT3's will stay naturally aspirated for this generation at least and have already been spied with manual transmissions. Also there were some rumors of the 718 GT4 still having the 3.8 engine.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Dealership less than three miles from my house has a brand-new 2016 Challenger Hellcat with pretty much every option ticket and brown leather interior for $59,xxx on clearance/closeout. Manual.

I had a ~$18K commission that fell into my lap last month.... but then unfortunately fell right out of lap before closing. Had that come through... man... I tell you what...

SliChillax

Just saw an F-Type SVR for the first time and oh my god.....

the fuck was Jaguar thinking? It looks awful compared to the R. That front end is simply ugly, looks like a retarded catfish and the ricey spoiler didnt help. The non SVR F-Types are drop dead gorgeous, what the hell Jaguar.

j4MOKDW.jpg

Just saw an F-Type SVR for the first time and oh my god.....

the fuck was Jaguar thinking? It looks awful compared to the R. That front end is simply ugly, looks like a retarded catfish and the ricey spoiler didnt help. The non SVR F-Types are drop dead gorgeous, what the hell Jaguar.

j4MOKDW.jpg

I think the front looks much better, agree about the wing though. Fortunately there's an option to delete!

jcutner

I've test driven a Genesis a few years ago, and to me, the cabin felt too cavernous, just oddly big. The FR-S had a nice cozy "wearing-the-car" feel to it which I preferred. The power output isn't overly important to me, especially coming from a 1.6l econobox.

Just drove a well equipped Volvo S90.

That is a damn nice car. I sat down and just wanted to drive around listening music in total comfort.

It was a brief drive, you all get a brief review. All the same, it feels more stately and "clean" than its competitors, if you'll allow me to use a silly idea.

The lens is a keeper, I guessed it was a Canon 85 1.2L II

Wat lol, I wish it was haha.

It really is a keeper though, at 1.8 the focus center(whatever you call it) is narrow enough that you'd almost mistake it for a 1.4.

Honestly my only complaint with it is the aperture and focus ring are garbage and feel super sluggish, and once you reach either end of the focus ring it literally feels like you're scraping the ring on a piece of metal.

That is so cheesy, I love it

Haha thanks.

Sad to say I actually can't drive it with the antlers and red nose on. Since it's a cloth top there's basically nothing that secures the antlers between the glass and rubber sealing of the top. The nose is also "tied" to the hook of the hood so it's all unsafe and all that.

Pinewood

Wat lol, I wish it was haha.

It really is a keeper though, at 1.8 the focus center(whatever you call it) is narrow enough that you'd almost mistake it for a 1.4.

Honestly my only complaint with it is the aperture and focus ring are garbage and feel super sluggish, and once you reach either end of the focus ring it literally feels like you're scraping the ring on a piece of metal.

Haha thanks.

Sad to say I actually can't drive it with the antlers and red nose on. Since it's a cloth top there's basically nothing that secures the antlers between the glass and rubber sealing of the top. The nose is also "tied" to the hook of the hood so it's all unsafe and all that.
You could wear the antlers on your head with the top down

The nose... yolo

TylerD

This post just cracks me up.

Why? I guess i'm just an old man now that can't shake my responsible side.

I thought it was too until I saw the response of he has a S Class sedan and BMW X5 for daily duties.

I know, it's the last of it's kind which makes me think that it will always be very desirable low mileage or not.

You could wear the antlers on your head with the top down

The nose... yolo

Ahahaha.

I haven't crossed that crazy territory yet of driving in the cold with the top down wearing something dumb/hilarious.

Besides we're 2 days away from Christmas, it'd be a waste of money for a little sight gag... maybe next year lol.

Question Auto-GAF:

How do you know it's time to move into a Porsche?

When you can fake everyone out on an internet forum, making them think you're some smug bastard with a Porsche and Tesla in their garage.

Follow-up:
Is subsisting on 5 min ramen considered affording it?

You're doing it wrong, 5 min ramen is too expensive. You need to jump on that $0.99 cent, 3 minute Maruchan ramen if you truly want to afford it.

AlphaSnake

I thought it was too until I saw the response of he has a S Class sedan and BMW X5 for daily duties.

I know, it's the last of it's kind which makes me think that it will always be very desirable low mileage or not.

That's his parent's cars. I don't know why he's casually leaving that out, because he used to say it all the time. And just a week or two ago he said his GT4 is his primary daily during most of the year.

AlphaSnake

Edit:

Yes, but it's not an MT. ;)

The GT3's will stay naturally aspirated for this generation at least and have already been spied with manual transmissions. Also there were some rumors of the 718 GT4 still having the 3.8 engine.

That'd be extremely bizarre if the GT3 came with a MT. It would destroy the current value of 911 Rs.

Futaba

I've got an S Class sedan and BMW X5 for daily duty.
Nice!, I've got a Boeing 747 that I regularly take for a spin whenever I need to dash over to a neighboring country, but I don't take her out as much as i'd like to on account of the 200+ strangers that hitch a ride with me.

FStop7

Banned
Question Auto-GAF:

How do you know it's time to move into a Porsche?

When you lose your home because you've spent so much on the Porsche and you don't give a damn then it's time to move into the Porsche

The next GT3 having a manual trans option is all but confirmed. There was a lot of pushback over the 991 GT3 being PDK only.

matmanx1

When you can afford it.

This is the right answer. Great cars but understand that keeping the suggested maintenance up to date will be a serious drain on the wallet even if nothing ever breaks. Even for a sub 5k miles a year car the "once a year" dealership visit for oil change + maintenance + whatever else will usually cost you over a grand on most any of their sports cars (the Cayenne and Macan might be better since they have the more traditional engine layout, I really don't know).

Had an acquaintance take his 987 Cayman S in for scheduled maintenance + oil change and his bill was $1,200. And nothing was broken. So yeah, the right answer is "when you can afford it".

Evo X

Lol, my comments certainly spark a lot of discussion so let me clear things up.

My parents give zero shits about driving a nice car. If it was up to them, they'd still have camrys or civics from the 90s.

The old Lexus GX470 was the first and last nice car my dad bought for himself.

The S Class sedan is mine. My brother bought it for my parents, but when the lease ran out, I paid it off instead of giving it back to Mercedes. It doesn't get driven much but is good as an extra car. The X5, my brother and I went 50/50 on to get for my mom. But after a few health complications with my dad earlier this year, my parents retired and are currently traveling the world visiting friends and family until the middle of 2017. So instead of the car just sitting there, I have taken over 100% of the lease payments and am driving it on occasions or weather conditions that the GT4 can't cope with.

When they get back, my brother and I will go back to splitting the payment and I'll figure out if I need another DD or just drive whatever sports car I have at that time.

I'm not really the type of person who cares for a collection of cars. I would rather have one car that I love driving every single day. I work from home so could get by on Uber and public transport if I needed to. Any car I get is purely for fun, not necessity.

Some of you guys read too much into things. If I wanted to show off on the Internet, I'd pretend of own some of the much nicer cars my friends or relatives drive. I don't really post on social media much. GAF is the only online community I'm semi-active in.

On a separate note, I will have something fun to share on the 26th. Probably not what you'd expect, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Futaba

Lol, my comments certainly spark a lot of discussion so let me clear things up.
Don't confuse derision for discussion.

My parents give zero shits about driving a nice car. If it was up to them, they'd still have camrys or civics from the 90s.
So why don't they?, they were good cars.

The old Lexus GX470 was the first and last nice car my dad bought for himself.
Doesn't this contradict the line above?

The S Class sedan is mine. My brother bought it for my parents, but when the lease ran out, I paid it off instead of giving it back to Mercedes. It doesn't get driven much but is good as an extra car. The X5, my brother and I went 50/50 on to get for my mom. But after a few health complications with my dad earlier this year, my parents retired and are currently traveling the world visiting friends and family until the middle of 2017. So instead of the car just sitting there, I have taken over 100% of the lease payments and am driving it on occasions or weather conditions that the GT4 can't cope with.
So neither one is entirely yours.

When they get back, my brother and I will go back to splitting the payment and I'll figure out if I need another DD or just drive whatever sports car I have at that time.
Like i said then..

I'm not really the type of person who cares for a collection of cars. I would rather have one car that I love driving every single day. I work from home so could get by on Uber and public transport if I needed to. Any car I get is purely for fun, not necessity.
Fun of what though? all i really see is someone who enjoys the status a particular car/model brings, I don't see much passion at all.

Some of you guys read too much into things. If I wanted to show off on the Internet, I'd pretend of own some of the much nicer cars my friends or relatives drive. I don't really post on social media much. GAF is the only online community I'm semi-active in.
Every single time you waltz into the thread and drop hints about the next "super duper rare thing that ill be the first in the US to drive" you do so to show off, because the few occasions such a thing actually panned out, your feedback on the experience leaves much to be desired, and the one time someone else chimed in to say they had seen/heard of someone who had already seen/talked about a particular car you went out of your way to stamp your feet and insist it wasn't possible.

On a separate note, I will have something fun to share on the 26th. Probably not what you'd expect, but I'm excited nonetheless.
What was that I said about waltzing in and dropping hints? you literally can't help yourself.

I got lazy and bold-responded per paragraph.

Don't get me wrong, I want to like you, I really really do, but I can't get over the nagging feeling that we're more an audience to massage your ego then a community that shares a familiar passion, indeed as I've already stated, I'm hard pressed to see your passion for cars in most of your posts :(

Evo X

Frankly Futaba, you can GFY for making assumptions.

1) I never said those cars were 100% mine. Someone asked what I was currently using for daily duties when I don't drive the GT4, and I responded in kind.

2) What makes you the definitive authority on who's passionate or not about cars? You don't know anything about me or what I've done in my 15 year history in the automotive world other than creating an absurd mental image based on my posts in this thread.

3) All the cars I've owned have prioritized driving experience over flash. That's why I had 2 Mitubushi Evos that I spent a good bit of time and money modifying instead of other fancier options in that price range. Even now I could just as easily buy a cheaper ferrari, aston, lambo, or bentley instead of a hopped up cayman if all I wanted was a fancy badge.

I'm tired of having to justify myself. Any subsequent posts on this matter are going on the ignore list. Anyone that doesn't like me is free to make use of that fantastic forum functionality as well.

Crayon

Whenever I see these cars I'm always reminded of the EB110 Bugatti, never been able to shake the connection.

There are certain similarities that no other cars really get that close to. That incredibly short and sloping hood, for instance.

nitewulf

Had an acquaintance take his 987 Cayman S in for scheduled maintenance + oil change and his bill was $1,200. And nothing was broken. So yeah, the right answer is "when you can afford it".
Basically I was told by the dealer that Porsches are expensive every other year. For instance I took it for the oil change, which in itself wasn't bad. But it was coming up on other stuff:
Brake flush, cabin filter, wiper blades and they recommended wheel alignment.
The labor cost was the main issue.
Wheel Alignment: $250 (labor)
Brake flush, cabin filter, replacing wiper blades: $315 (labor)
The oil change $100
Replacing oil-filter insert, o-ring, aluminum seal ring, air filter, cabin air filter, wiper fluids and brake fluids $480
labor $665
parts: $315
And they were like, look there should be absolutely no issues next year besides the oil change. The problem is maintaining these are expensive, so you have to set aside some cash and write it off as cost of ownership. It wasn't cheaper with my BMW either. Caveat is, after warranty I took it to a local shop where they only maintain luxury brands but charge you about half of dealers.

nitewulf

Brake flush and wheel alignment every two years?

No, the lights will come up based on mileage/usage for these scheduled maintenance stuff. He was basically giving me a rule of thumb. For wheels that depends on the roads where you are at, NYC unfortunately has very bad roads.

matmanx1

Brake flush and wheel alignment every two years?

Does the engine need to be dropped for a filter change or something...

BMW has the same schedule for brake flush. At least my 128i did.

And the mid engine cars are more time consuming and difficult to perform oil changes on. I think the 987 Boxster/Cayman were around $300 - $400 for oil and filter change with labor.

AlphaSnake

I really love the S-Type Rs. Such a beautiful shape and elegant design. Plus they're really quick, 400HP 4.2L SC.

jag-s-type-r-ubg.jpg

JAGUARS-TypeR-3449_4.jpg

jaguar-s-type-r-06.jpg

06078276-photo-jaguar-s-type-r.jpg

They can be had for under $15K now, and seemed to have STOPPED depreciating.

Now excuse me, I have something to tend to in my pants.

Crayon

I really love the S-Type Rs. Such a beautiful shape and elegant design. Plus they're really quick, 400HP 4.2L SC.

[IMhttp://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/jag-s-type-r-ubg.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/JAGUARS-TypeR-3449_4.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://allfotocars.com/data_images/gallery/01/jaguar-s-type-r/jaguar-s-type-r-06.jpg[/IMG]

06078276-photo-jaguar-s-type-r.jpg

They can be had for under $15K now, and seemed to have STOPPED depreciating.

Now excuse me, I have something to tend to in my pants.

That car took awhile to grow on me. The styling, that is. But I think after the xtype came out I learned to appreciate the look and I really like it now. It has aged so well.

AlphaSnake

That car took awhile to grow on me. The styling, that is. But I think after the xtype came out I learned to appreciate the look and I really like it now. It has aged so well.

I think it's because in Plain Jane 3.0 or 4.2 guise with the standard chrome headlights, standard taillights, standard grille, uninspired wheels and such...it doesn't quite stand out. But with a few minor cosmetic touches, the entire car starts to pop and just looks menacing.

Plus, at that time every car, luxury or not, was doing the quad-light front ends (Lexus GS, Mercedes W210 E-Class, W211 E-Class, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Amanti, etc.) so it was a huge trend in the 90s and 2000s and Jaguar may have been a bit lost in the sea of cars at the time. Where as back in the 60s and 70s, Jaguar perfected the look with the XJs.

Top Bottom