• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

bcl0328

poor M4 :(

NAEPE8F.jpg

N-Bomb lives? My god.

Also, fuck Ferrari.

God is German, and he's a spyder.

Flush as we are with nutty performance cars at the moment, we should remember that automobiles as quick as the Porsche 918 don’t come along too often. In 2008, the quickest (and fastest) production car we had ever tested was the Bugatti Veyron 16.4. It could hit 60 mph in 2.5 seconds and burn the quarter-mile in 10.1 ticks. The Porsche 918 crushes the original million-dollar car with a 2.2-second sprint to 60 mph and a 9.8-second quarter-mile time.

2015-porsche-918-spyder-photo-611062-s-1280x782.jpg

2015-porsche-918-top-inline5-photo-618344-s-original.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...is-the-quickest-road-car-in-the-world-feature

How about that 'ring time McLaren, Prancing Pony?

N-Bomb

Quotes entire image post to not respond to it.

Did I also see you say in an earlier post that you wished that *aesthetic* upgrades added power?

Anyway, to the guy with the farm tractor rat rod - my hat is off to you.

@Mattlikewhoa - congrats on finally getting your S15!

Uses homophobic slurs and stereotypes as part of his 40 year old+ vernacular...calls us the children.

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

@Mattlikewhoa - congrats on finally getting your S15!

Cheers, and welcome back!

I haven't done much to it other then general maintenance. The only fun bits I've added so far were the Greddy turbo elbow, Trust downpipe, and Reinhard exhaust.

I plan to tear into the suspension over the winter.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Is this the part where the pointless fighting starts?

Yes, because N-Bomb can't contain himself after a ban and stating first thing he was dealing with children when he himself can't keep his homophobia in check.

Impressive. Has Porsche tweaked the car since their last time around the 'ring?

edit: So the P1 hasn't gone around yet?

They have, and they made a spine-tingling, beautiful, short video of it, but they never posted a speed, only claimed a sub-seven minute speed.

Porsche to my knowledge has not tweaked the production model of 918.

Ferrari is busy destroying axles and fucking around Maranello like clowns.

AlphaSnake

They have, and they made a spine-tingling, beautiful, short video of it, but they never posted a speed, only claimed a sub-seven minute speed.

I'd still wager the McLaren would do a faster time around the Ring.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yes, because N-Bomb can't contain himself after a ban and stating first thing he was dealing with children when he himself can't keep his homophobia in check.

Don't even know the guy, but looked into his post history for the cause of his ban. That along with his entrance, he seems like a complete asshole.

I'm with Alpha. I think the P1 will be able to beat the 918.
At these absurd power levels and speeds though, it's really going to come down to who has the better designed aero I think.

At these absurd power levels and speeds though, it's really going to come down to who has the better designed aero I think.

I just want to know. ;___;

I never really get this. Do people drive off the dealership and just start pulling FnF shit within the first hour of owning their cars? Get used to the thing first, and slowly push the bounds. :|

AlphaSnake

I just want to know. ;___;

I never really get this. Do people drive off the dealership and just start pulling FnF shit within the first hour of owning their cars? Get used to the thing first, and slowly push the bounds. :|

You'd be surprised....but yes.

Ego + money = stupid combination. A lot of people watch videos on YouTube and think "oh, if this everyday journalist can do this, so can I when I get my car!" And then they start disabling traction and all sorts of assists and flooring it at random spots, unaware of what traction is.

MilkBeard

Nope. Nope. Nope. Do not want. Hope this is all wrong, because if not, it's like Toyota is purposely trying to kill their famous named cars so people will never ask for them again.

Yeah it's kind of disappointing. I also wonder why Toyota doesn't build their own sports engines anymore either.

Bandit1

Get ready for more of those types of pics when the Hellcat and Z06 release

Ah man, and they aren't making that many Hellcats either..

Speaking of these kinds of pics, here's one I saw a while back:

attachment.php

GTCS3.jpg

California Special I think, apparently the driver survived it too.

They couldn't build on the legendary bottom end bomb proof, high HP making 2JZ engine? Really?

Pass on this one...

C'mon they're not about to make a modern sports car using 25 year old engine architecture. Even without touching hybrid systems, engine design has advanced far beyond the JZ.

And it may be disappointing, but hybrid systems are going to be standard from now on.

The P1 and the 918 really are very different cars. The P1 seems like a byproduct of McLaren's racing program (we've got all this tech let's build a hypercar!) and the 918 is a technology and engineering exercise for Porsche's future production cars. I'd expect the would pull a faster lap time but at the level these cars are at who gives a shit? The only people who could actually pull those top lap times are already racing LMP so who cares about all the extra aero--make it pretty.

So the P1 is most likely going to be faster around a track but the 918 will be the one that will be lusted over 50 years from now.

Know why? The exhaust comes out the top.

This happens more then you'd think with a lot of cars (mostly rear wheel drive). My friends older brother is a general manager at a BMW in the city, and he had stories for days.

C'mon they're not about to make a modern sports car using 25 year old engine architecture. Even without touching hybrid systems, engine design has advanced far beyond the JZ.

And it may be disappointing, but hybrid systems are going to be standard from now on.

Yeah, I know... It's just tough to digest for me :(

AlphaSnake

The P1 and the 918 really are very different cars. The P1 seems like a byproduct of McLaren's racing program (we've got all this tech let's build a hypercar!) and the 918 is a technology and engineering exercise for Porsche's future production cars. I'd expect the would pull a faster lap time but at the level these cars are at who gives a shit? The only people who could actually pull those top lap times are already racing LMP so who cares about all the extra aero--make it pretty.

So the P1 is most likely going to be faster around a track but the 918 will be the one that will be lusted over 50 years from now.

Know why? The exhaust comes out the top.

The McLaren F1 is arguably the most coveted last-gen supercar today. The Porsche 959, not quite as much. It's up there, but the margin is big. If history is any indication, the McLaren P1 will retain and appreciate in value the most over any other hypercar it competes with. Also, its technologically is equally impressive and less complicated than that of the 918, which is something Porsche/VW group frequently enjoys doing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think auto purists (stickshift Nazis, rwd, anti hybrid guys) are missing rheir OWN point. instead of fighting improvements and progress, why not become a vintage collector?

seriously. manual shift will be gone in a decade or two and fossil fuel powerplants soon afterward. Instead of fighting it, embrace the very thing your retro obsession harkens back to, and buy an OG supra.

Stinkles

The McLaren F1 is arguably the most coveted last-gen supercar today. The Porsche 959, not quite as much. It's up there, but the margin is big. If history is any indication, the McLaren P1 will retain and appreciate in value the most over any other hypercar it competes with. Also, its technologically is equally impressive and less complicated than that of the 918, which is something Porsche/VW group frequently enjoys doing.

Not an argument as much as it is a detail, but the F1 was absolutely unique, but the P1 has a lot of competition.

F1 was a freak of nature.

AlphaSnake

Not an argument as much as it is a detail, but the F1 was absolutely unique, but the P1 has a lot of competition.

F1 was a freak of nature.

Just like the P1 is.

Back then it was the Ferrari F50, Ferrari F40, Porsche 959 and McLaren F1. The Porsche 959 had been phased out by 1989, the F40 shortly before that. But if you were still take into account for the two out of production cars, the McLaren F1's competition was largely similar to what it is today.

The Porsche was absolutely riddled with technology, turbos, and AWD.

The Ferrari F40 was blessed with an engine that could rev to the high moon, it was lightweight at 2400lbs, turbocharged, and probably made more power than Ferrari said it did (it ran 1/4 miles in 11s). It could hit 200MPH and held that distinction for a while. Until...

The Jaguar XJ220. Which was ludicrously powerful, had a twin-turbo V6 that made well over the advertised 550HP, was aerodynamically sharp as an arrow (much like the F40 was) and had a top speed of 213MPH, well above what the Ferraris and Porsches were capable of.

But McLaren came along immediately, took a bit of everything, lightweight construction (2400-2500lbs), insane engine design, and even better aerodynamics to create a 231MPH car. I see the McLaren P1 in the same light, it's just McLaren being McLaren - always overreaching and somehow delivering on nearly every conceivable level.

Just like the P1 is.

Back then it was the Ferrari F50, Ferrari F40, Porsche 959 and McLaren F1. The Porsche 959 had been phased out by 1989, the F40 shortly before that. But if you were still take into account for the two out of production cars, the McLaren F1's competition was largely similar to what it is today.

The Porsche was absolutely riddled with technology, turbos, and AWD.

The Ferrari F40 was blessed with an engine that could rev to the high moon, it was lightweight at 2400lbs, turbocharged, and probably made more power than Ferrari said it did (it ran 1/4 miles in 11s). It could hit 200MPH and held that distinction for a while. Until...

The Jaguar XJ220. Which was ludicrously powerful, had a twin-turbo V6 that made well over the advertised 550HP, was aerodynamically sharp as an arrow (much like the F40 was) and had a top speed of 213MPH, well above what the Ferraris and Porsches were capable of.

But McLaren came along immediately, took a bit of everything, lightweight construction (2400-2500lbs), insane engine design, and even better aerodynamics to create a 231MPH car. I see the McLaren P1 in the same light, it's just McLaren being McLaren - always overreaching and somehow delivering on nearly every conceivable level.

The point he's making is that the McLaren F1 was such a thing for so long because, when it came out, it was absolutely unheralded and truly absurd, and it remained so for quite a long time--it took the Veyron to dethrone its speed record.

With this latest generation of hypercars, the P1 is just the probably-fastest-but-definitely-ugliest of the three. Nothing the P1 does is really that crazy once you consider the field it's in and they're all three coming out at the very same time.

I mean for god's sakes the F1 had a driver's seat in the middle! Gold-plated engine bay! SEAT IN THE MIDDLE!!! What does the P1 have that the LaFerrari or 918 don't?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The point he's making is that the McLaren F1 was such a thing for so long because, when it came out, it was absolutely unheralded and truly absurd, and it remained so for quite a long time--it took the Veyron to dethrone its speed record.

With this latest generation of hypercars, the P1 is just the probably-fastest-but-definitely-ugliest of the three. Nothing the P1 does is really that crazy once you consider the field it's in and they're all three coming out at the very same time.

I mean for god's sakes the F1 had a driver's seat in the middle! Gold-plated engine bay! SEAT IN THE MIDDLE!!! What does the P1 have that the LaFerrari or 918 don't?

You take that back!!!!

http://zippy.gfycat.com/UnhappyShamefulHeifer.webm

http://zippy.gfycat.com/ElasticUnsungIndigowingedparrot.webm

edit: Also, didn't the Saleen S7 twin turbo dethrone the F1 back in the early 2000's? Or had the Veyron already beaten it by the time the TT was released?

Two cents:

The LaFerrari is fuckugly. Like, give Igor from Young Frakenstein tits and call him a woman levels of ugly.

Also, I guess I'm just insane, but honestly, the P1 is the best looking of the bunch. The 918 is a bit too derivative and tame. the P1 looks like a Batmobile from 2020.

Two cents:

The LaFerrari is fuckugly. Like, give Igor from Young Frakenstein tits and call him a woman levels of ugly.

Well I don't think it's a pretty car, but it's certainly visually striking and exciting. The McLaren, on the other hand, looks like a jumble of uncoordinated lines and proportions.

But the 918? Pure, unmitigated sex.

Well I don't think it's a pretty car, but it's certainly visually striking and exciting. The McLaren, on the other hand, looks like a jumble of uncoordinated lines and proportions.

But the 918? Pure, unmitigated sex.

I think it's just my hate of modern Ferrari aesthetics in general. I don't disagree about the 918, I just like the P1 a bit more, it feels sleeker/starshipy.

AlphaSnake

Two cents:

Also, I guess I'm just insane, but honestly, the P1 is the best looking of the bunch. The 918 is a bit too derivative and tame. the P1 looks like a Batmobile from 2020.

I agree. The Porsche looks like any other Porsche, almost. Such a bland and boring front end. The McLaren looks like it's out of this world.

cajunator

Banned
Ah man, and they aren't making that many Hellcats either..

Speaking of these kinds of pics, here's one I saw a while back:

attachment.php

GTCS3.jpg

California Special I think, apparently the driver survived it too.

This makes me want to cry.

I think it's just my hate of modern Ferrari aesthetics in general. I don't disagree about the 918, I just like the P1 a bit more, it feels sleeker/starshipy.

I feel the same way about modern Ferrari's except the 458.
The LaFerrari (dumbest name ever) is inferior design to many supercars, although Im sure it is one of the greatest performers. Behind the wheel though you dont have to look at it, and thats where its amazing.
Mclaren P1 does look morel ike what youd expect an ultra modern supercar to look like. Porsche is gorgeous but stuck in the Porsche design paradigm (not bad in itself just not ultramodern)

N-Bomb

Cheers, and welcome back!

I haven't done much to it other then general maintenance. The only fun bits I've added so far were the Greddy turbo elbow, Trust downpipe, and Reinhard exhaust.

I plan to tear into the suspension over the winter.

Nice nice. What kind of boost does that thing run, stock? Is boost creep common to the SR20 w/ mods? And please tell me you're not going to stance it! :)

Dude, does your girl know that I'm on your mind this much?

Huh? If I did say that, I was high. Find it.

The FRS RS1.0 has to be up there for one of the worst names ever.

The aesthetic upgrades are nice though, wish they were standard and wish they actually added some power.

AlphaSnake

Nice nice. What kind of boost does that thing run, stock? Is boost creep common to the SR20 w/ mods? And please tell me you're not going to stance it! :)

Dude, does your girl know that I'm on your mind this much?

Holy shit. Talk about a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch. You know damn well what "they" meant. If you're going to sit there and pretend like "they" didn't mean Toyota and that it was a purely hyperbolic statement, you're old age has officially made you a delusional and cranky fart. Keep reaching for the stars.

N-Bomb

Restoring worn alcantara:

stNU7tYl.png

If you have alcantara/microsuede surfaces that are getting kind of worn and are pilling, like a sweater might, then there's pretty much only one way to restore it to an extent - I learned this after buying my new seats. It can be hard to find driver's seats from Japan that aren't worn out, for obvious reasons, and the trouble is that since they're our passenger seats, they're more noticeable due to not having human seat covers.

So how do you fix this? You can't entirely. But you can mitigate it and reduce the poor appearance kind of counter-intuitively.

You shave it.

Some people will use a razor VERY carefully, but the best way is to actually use one of those fabric shavers. The bigger ones actually work better and take less time. This doesn't cure the problem, but it reduces it to the point where it won't be noticeable from father than around head height from the seats. It'll restore the nap SOMEWHAT as well, and make it easier to clean, too.
0003886108956_215X215.jpg

kYsxDQBl.png

You can see here how much improved it is, close up. And that's only about 80-90% complete - I did a bit more work and some cleaning after that, and it looks even better.

After shaving it, as I mentioned, you'd want to give it a good cleaning with your interior cleaner of choice, and you're pretty much good to go!

Of course it's better if you don't let it get to this point in the first place (although wear DOES happen), but second-hand buyers can only be choosers to a point.

J-Rzez

I think auto purists (stickshift Nazis, rwd, anti hybrid guys) are missing rheir OWN point. instead of fighting improvements and progress, why not become a vintage collector?

seriously. manual shift will be gone in a decade or two and fossil fuel powerplants soon afterward. Instead of fighting it, embrace the very thing your retro obsession harkens back to, and buy an OG supra.

Well it's hard to find them now, especially those that weren't modded and clubbed, not to mention a manual.

But anyone who loved and respected the Supra like myself, I think we were hoping for one last hurrah at the very least. That's all. Just one more great car Toyota, one last "MKIV".

If they want to make a AWD hybrid, at least do it to a GT-FOUR/AllTrac, not the Supra, pls not the Supra... : /

Stinkles

Well it's hard to find them now, especially those that weren't modded and clubbed, not to mention a manual.

But anyone who loved and respected the Supra like myself, I think we were hoping for one last hurrah at the very least. That's all. Just one more great car Toyota, one last "MKIV".

If they want to make a AWD hybrid, at least do it to a GT-FOUR/AllTrac, not the Supra, pls not the Supra... : /

I guess that the issue is that a lot of the things people desire, are counter to the logic of making cars objectively better. The Hellcat is a great example. Is it desirable? Hell yes, to that audience. Is it an objectively good sports car? Hell no. It'll get lapped by cars with half its horsepower. People like bad things for good reasons, and they should be allowed to like bad things, like Turduckens and Corn Dogs.

Cars are 90% emotional purchases. But the realpolitik of tech and fossil fuels are going to have a massive impact on the availability of "bad" cars and traditional (outdated) technology.

And the last Supra was the best looking car that wasn't an RX-7. I'd argue that a tuneable good looking mid powered sports car is what the Supra is, not the specific drivetrain so much as the relative cost and performance.

Top Bottom