• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think you guys will like these...

10526095_10152182323871246_8149028427352192988_n.jpg

10420263_10152182323971246_1295257754393070458_n.jpg

Popped up on a GTR facebook group that I'm a part of... This was at a Porsche dealership in Edmonton.

Were you able to sit in it, or was it locked up?

Nice nice. What kind of boost does that thing run, stock? Is boost creep common to the SR20 w/ mods? And please tell me you're not going to stance it! :)

Um... right now I believe the stock wastegate is set at like 7-8 or so PSI (0.55-0.65 bar). I haven't tinkered with a boost controller, because I have a Power FC that I'll be installing, and I plan to use the add on kit.

There's more general maintenance I want to complete to the engine before I swap in the really fun bits.

Boost creep can be there when you use a larger top mount turbo, but I have a plan of action for that (twin scroll manifold with dual MVS gates).

IMG_2737_zpsed02f476.jpg

It's damn expensive to piece this type of setup together, so I've been taking my time.

And no, I'm not going to "stance" it. I plan to lower it some more once I throw on my TE's but nothing crazy.

Dat rear end. Hnnng.

But dat front end. :(

Co-signed...

Were you able to sit in it, or was it locked up?

I didn't take the shots sorry (I live in a different city). From what I understand, no one was able to touch it at this dealership.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Looks nice, looks almost new in that second pic.

Srs.

In my mind, N-Bomb is laughing while Alpha is this:

duty_calls.png

*walks away quickly*

Not even in the slightest. If he's going to make some asinine comment about something I didn't actually say, he'd better back it up with me legitimately saying it.

Smokey

SaabKyle going over M3/M4

Had to drop my car off at the dealership for it's final "CPO inspection". Looked around in the meantime. Asked about the M4 of course. Didn't have any at the dealership. They are backed with orders until about Mid-November. There was a white M3 that was there today. The president of Haliburton ordered it, but decided he wanted the YB color instead. Apparently it was there for a few hours. Salesman went to go look for it to show me...and it had already been sold :(

My quest to see one in the flesh continues

mkenyon

Banned
SaabKyle going over M3/M4

Had to drop my car off at the dealership for it's final "CPO inspection". Looked around in the meantime. Asked about the M4 of course. Didn't have any at the dealership. They are backed with orders until about Mid-November. There was a white M3 that was there today. The president of Haliburton ordered it, but decided he wanted the YB color instead. Apparently it was there for a few hours. Salesman went to go look for it to show me...and it had already been sold :(

My quest to see one in the flesh continues
I saw a new 4 series in the wild for the first time the other day.

Gorgeous, but not that "oh holy shit" moment I had when I first saw a new Corvette. Still, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

N-Bomb

Looks nice, looks almost new in that second pic.

Thanks! Yeah, it doesn't look 100% if you inspect it, but good enough for passers-by. :) I can't wait to put these in.

Um... right now I believe the stock wastegate is set at like 7-8 or so PSI (0.55-0.65 bar). I haven't tinkered with a boost controller, because I have a Power FC that I'll be installing, and I plan to use the add on kit.

There's more general maintenance I want to complete to the engine before I swap in the really fun bits.

Ah, the stock ECU is not flexible enough? So you can't do some kind of open-source flash, or Ecutek or etc...

Boost creep can be there when you use a larger top mount turbo, but I have a plan of action for that (twin scroll manifold with dual MVS gates).

IMG_2737_zpsed02f476.jpg

It's damn expensive to piece this type of setup together, so I've been taking my time.

And no, I'm not going to "stance" it. I plan to lower it some more once I throw on my TE's but nothing crazy.

Damn son, that's a beautiful squid. Twinscroll++ - I can vouch for this. How much exactly does one of those manifolds run? Also, what kind of intercooler do these things use?

I need to take a pic of this stanced-out bullshit '80s Prelude that some guy has at the local store-area. There's a huge roof rack on top that looks like it's half of the car's height. The thing looks ridiculous, and from the rear it really looks like the suspension has collapsed. If not for that, it would be a really clean example of a 30 year old car! #shame

Smokey

Gorgeous, but not that "oh holy shit" moment I had when I first saw a new Corvette. Still, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Yep. The 4 series looks really good in person. They had a white one with black rims and black accents on display and I couldn't stop looking. Would have been a good chance to see the white M3 and directly compare the two.

About the Vette...man at this point I most likely can't get either one until next year anyway. I get one of these I'm making it exactly how I want and not just settling for one from the dealership. All on order for months. Next year I'll be in the home stretch of my car payment and it would be pretty great to experience life without a monthly statement.

Dat feel when plans dont work out like you've visioned ;_;

Smokey

Heh I edited my post before clicking your link

The allure of Dinan was that you could get it done at the dealership and it wouldn't really mess with your warranty. Welp since that's about to be done in a few weeks it doesn't have the same pull.

And from my limited reading on tunes there are some better options out there.

I love my 435i man. I like it from every single angle. And the interior is...

...man I love that car.

Smokey

Hopefully!

Since I have reached the mountain top in PC gaming land and have retired...a new challenger has entered the arena

ascii42

Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the Stingray Convertible

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-convertible/

He liked it, but I'm surprised he thought it was better than the F-Type.

I found this paragraph amusing, though:
Under the skin it’s like a greatest-hits album. Because what Chevrolet has done is to take all of what’s good from the best of Europe and Japan and put it in its car. It has the same sort of unpronounceable suspension and electronic differential that you get in Ferraris, the same sort of throttle-blipping technology that you get in a Nissan 370Z, the same sort of head-up display that you get in a BMW M5 and a system that shuts down half of the cylinders when they’re not needed. The same as you get in a Bentley.

Magnetic ride, HUDs, and variable displacement are things GM pioneered.

mkenyon

Banned
Great piece, lots of chuckles to be had.

Naturally, behind the hi-tech exterior some things remain resolutely backward. The gearbox is mounted at the back for better weight distribution, but it comes with the traditional Corvette weak synchro crunchiness when you’re going into second or third. You also get a pushrod engine with just two valves per cylinder, because four is communist. And the body is still fibreglass because carbon fibre is a pinko plot. So, yes, it’s a Silicon Valley software geek, but it still knows how to kill a deer.

ameratsu

Paywall time for lots of //DRIVE content with the introduction of Drive+

All YouTube videos monetise through advertising, so it should have been easy to simply raise a production budget and then watch the advertising dollars roll in. The problem is, the dollars never really have rolled in and the revenue share with YouTube itself allows us to retain just 55 per cent of earnings. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that we need other revenue streams, one of which is a subscription service for longer-form videos.

Now I'm fully aware that just the notion of me and my colleagues attempting to charge for video content will cause much unrest. It's not greed; just basic mathematics.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30564

AlphaSnake

How are you not fabulously titillated hearing someone recite the height, width, length and wheelbase of a car?!

I scrolled randomly through the video and came across a bit where he talks about the glove box and its pull handle...who gives a flying fuck?! Hahaha.

And the 'test drive' lasted all of 30 seconds.

ruxtpin

Banned
I scrolled randomly through the video and came across a bit where he talks about the glove box and its pull handle...who gives a flying fuck?! Hahaha.

And the 'test drive' lasted all of 30 seconds.

Is it just me, or does he always sound snotted up/nasally? I don't post YT comments, but I've considered telling him he needs to blow his nose.

Smokey

Nice video, sounds like the M4 would benefit from wider/grippier rear tires

Yeah. I've read/watched multiple reviews and they all say it really is a wild beast. In a good way. Guess it depends on what type of performance driving you'd like to have.

GHG

There's always this to tide you over.

Heh I edited my post before clicking your link

The allure of Dinan was that you could get it done at the dealership and it wouldn't really mess with your warranty. Welp since that's about to be done in a few weeks it doesn't have the same pull.

And from my limited reading on tunes there are some better options out there.

Does anyone here have 1st hand experience with Dinan or any other chiptune company?

I'm thinking about getting the ECU tune done for my x6 but never done an ECU remap before so don't know what to expect. There is also one from PP Performance who claim they can get my 0-60 down to 4.7 seconds and torque over 700mn, which is quite frankly, nuts.

So any opinions on chiptunes here? Yay or Nay?

That manifold is a work of art. Beautiful.

I totally agree ^_^

Ah, the stock ECU is not flexible enough? So you can't do some kind of open-source flash, or Ecutek or etc...

I just prefer to use more stand alone units then anything else really. I haven't pushed the limits of the stock ECU on a SR20. I go with what the popular tuners use in my area. The power FC unit is a bit old, but it's still a solid option for this platform. Plus I had used one in my S14 a while back with no issues.

Damn son, that's a beautiful squid. Twinscroll++ - I can vouch for this. How much exactly does one of those manifolds run? Also, what kind of intercooler do these things use?

This one was $1600 US plus $200 for the downpipe, but I got hooked up, so I came out spending a lot less. As for the intercooler, you can run whatever you'd like really. I'm planning to run a Blitz SC model myself.

TylerD

How are you not fabulously titillated hearing someone recite the height, width, length and wheelbase of a car?!

The YT copycats are even better. I used to watch a lot of his videos but now I just can't stand it unless there is something I really want to see. They are VERY detailed but SOOOOO boring.

"Hey everybody, how's it going? Today, I'm going to be taking a .." zzzZZZZzzzz

The latest /Drive videos are unsurprisingly getting hammered in down votes. The stuff they are doing is not cheap to produce and I totally understand. I'll probably subscribe close to the end of the season and catch up.

The YT copycats are even better. I used to watch a lot of his videos but now I just can't stand it unless there is something I really want to see. They are VERY detailed but SOOOOO boring.

The latest /Drive videos are unsurprisingly getting hammered in down votes. The stuff they are doing is not cheap to produce and I totally understand. I'll probably subscribe close to the end of the season and catch up.

I've never followed /Drive religiously, what are they doing? Oh wait are you talking about the ones where Mike Spinelli lists specs and gives the car a rating on their strange scale?

AlphaSnake

Yeah, /Drive doesn't need a subscription. They need to cut back on their expenses from what I read of Harris' opine. They also need more original programming and not rely so much on travel destinations and shit.

Plus, as much as I love Chris, he is a shtick at this point...a one trick pony who drifts 90% of a video. It's just not much fun to watch anymore.

In all honesty, Carlos Lago of Motor Trend has taken over as the best automotive media personality on YouTube. He has a natural charisma, presents well, has fantastic incite into every cars specs, does the status quo runs (0-60, 1/4 mile, braking, etc), explains weaknesses and strengths, and making it very clear if the weaknesses hurt the car much, or if at all.

On the flip side, Motor Trend also employs that oaf Johnny Lieberman, who is absolutely gut-wrenchingly corny and hard to watch.

mkenyon

Banned
Vacuum and steam clean your carpets. Any of that stuff will build up and make your car smell gross to anyone who isn't you, IMO.

AlphaSnake

Carpets? First step is to get rubber floor mats.

Am I the only one who hates them? They're so gross and ugly looking...plus when it rains and they squeak on your shoes it's like nails on a chalkboard.

*shudder*

Smokey

Co-worker got a 04 911 Turbo a week ago. Right now it's his weekend car. We both have 335i, although his is a bit newer than mine. So of course we usually have moments throughout the week where we nerd out about cars and what we want. He's always wanted an older (like 90s model or so) Porsche, but I guess he found one he was happy with. Can't stop talking about how quick it is.

Tomorrow during lunch we go joy riding on the freeways. Mid-Friday hypeeeeeeeeeeeeee

xnipx

I just brought a brand new car. It doesn't stink. It's just.....bland. And the ladies love the fruity smells. I was just wondering if anybody had any gems that last longer than gas station trees

Top Bottom