• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

RedAssedApe

Banned
Looks about the same as what my mom's Volvo looked like after Hurricane Sandy swept the car up into the ocean and spit it back out.

Looks like you had a pretty new Honda Accord to lose it so quick?

Yeah it was still fairly new. 2008 model but only had about 30K miles on it.

N-Bomb

Some pics from my day at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago. Perfect weather, great run groups, and an amazing experience. I've been to this track quite a number of times to watch events, but am always taken away by how massive the track is. If anyone ever has a chance to visit or even do a track day there then DO IT.

Awesome awesome post. I can only imagine how it is outside of a video game...

But i don't want to compete with Americans for JDM cars.

Signed,
Canadians

Yes, also this. Although in a couple more years it won't matter since JDM hasn't meant anything for something like 10 years now.

dubc35

But i don't want to compete with Americans for JDM cars.

Signed,
Canadians

Ha, so true. Although there is much more to import than JDM cars. Euro land has plenty to offer as well. I mean how can someone not want to import a Dacia Sandero in 8 years instead of waiting 18?

Chris R

Anyone else catch the How It's Made Veyron? Hoooooooooly shit, so nice. Catch it if you can, only 30 mins long and really informative.

ameratsu

Required: Where's the best place online to get OEM Acura parts?

Helpful: that ships to Canada.

This is tricky. I used to buy from curry acura in new york state, but they stopped shipping to Canada entirely earlier this year. Since that happened I've just been shipping parts to wherever I am traveling south of the border and bringing the parts back with me. Canadian oem acura dealers are so comparatively expensive that if you order is of an sizable amount, it will be worth getting them from America.

When I bought all my timing belt job parts, it was ~$300 from curry acura, versus $550 from an online Canadian dealer.

Car engine on 2007 ford fusion started making an awful noise yesterday, imagine a roller coaster going up a chain lift that clacking noise. Took it to the firestone down the street to see if they could at least pinpoint what it was. They took it up real quick and just said looks like a component in the engine that lead to a catastrophic engine failure but they didnt know for sure. Took it the ford dealer yesterday, they cant look at it until monday but they said doesnt look good. Likely need a new engine, now im the spot of replacing it (maybe, still not 100% sure if thats it) or buying a new car. ugh

Car engine on 2007 ford fusion started making an awful noise yesterday, imagine a roller coaster going up a chain lift that clacking noise. Took it to the firestone down the street to see if they could at least pinpoint what it was. They took it up real quick and just said looks like a component in the engine that lead to a catastrophic engine failure but they didnt know for sure. Took it the ford dealer yesterday, they cant look at it until monday but they said doesnt look good. Likely need a new engine, now im the spot of replacing it (maybe, still not 100% sure if thats it) or buying a new car. ugh

Timing chain failure?

ameratsu

Went and test drove an 1999 Altezza RS200 Z-Edition. Similar to the IS300 we got in North America but with a 4cyl instead of the N/A 2jz motor. The one I drove has a "beams" 2 litre 3sge motor mated to a 6 speed, making about 205hp at 7600rpm. Sat at 131kms.

I've been looking to import one of these as a daily driver, and was fortunate to have run into an owner who was looking to sell his. Unfortunately, it wasn't in great condition. It was pretty obviously hitting fuel cut at about 5000rpm, which obviously made it impossible to get anything out of a peaky n/a 4cyl motor. It also had mismatched tires (front to rear), a valve cover leak, and a generally dirty interior. The owner seemed like a super nice guy, but there is no way I'm paying 9k for that.

What I thought and told firestone what I thought it was, but they didnt really check. Hopefully thats all it is and dealer will let me know tomorrow

If it's still running it's not a timing chain failure. If it really sounds like a roller coaster going up a lift hill it could definitely be rod knock.

Sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYleKxjl0uY

If it does it's rod knock. Stop driving it immediately to salvage what you can. At the least they'll have to pull the engine and remove the oil pan, if it's not too horrible new bearings may cure it but you won't know until then.

Did it happen all of a sudden? Usually a result of oil starvation and high temps (racing the engine). If you ran it out of oil, though, it'd kill it right quick.

Edit: Dudes at Firestone should know what rod knock sounds like so maybe not, then again they're just dudes at Firestone so who knows.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AutoGaf: You inherit ludicrous billions and you have to limit yourself to three cars, for some supernatural reason.

1. A car you only drive yourself.
2. A car you are chauffeured in.
3. A practical car for outdoor activities.

Here's mine:

1. Ariel Atom.
2. Audi A8. Not S. Chauffeur doesn't need fun. Maybach is getting dated.
3. Audi RS6 Avant, but kind of wanted a Subaru Baja because it is good retarded.

I'm showing my Porsche bias, I think.

1. Boxster Spyder
2. Rolls-Royce Phantom or maybe Panamera Turbo S Executive
3. Cayenne Turbo S - Seriously can anyone think of a better "I need one car that will do everything anywhere" car?

N-Bomb

If it's still running it's not a timing chain failure. If it really sounds like a roller coaster going up a lift hill it could definitely be rod knock.

Edit: Dudes at Firestone should know what rod knock sounds like so maybe not, then again they're just dudes at Firestone so who knows.

picture.php

AutoGaf: You inherit ludicrous billions and you have to limit yourself to three cars, for some supernatural reason.

1. Probably something like a Carver... but superpowered.
2. Do RVs count as cars here? Cuz I would definitely have some kind of bigger vehicle in this case that I could lounge in and maybe use my laptop. Like a Winnebago.
3. Impreza 22B. Or a Rally Fighter.

Sound like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYleKxjl0uY

If it does it's rod knock. Stop driving it immediately to salvage what you can. At the least they'll have to pull the engine and remove the oil pan, if it's not too horrible new bearings may cure it but you won't know until then.

Did it happen all of a sudden? Usually a result of oil starvation and high temps (racing the engine). If you ran it out of oil, though, it'd kill it right quick.

More severe than that sound in the link, it sounds straight up like youre going up a lift hill. It did start all the sudden, and it appears only to happen when I accelerate as well.

Bandit1

1. I'd keep my Trans Am but build it into a pro-touring machine.
2. Aston Martin Rapide
3. Ford Raptor

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Here's mine:

1. Ariel Atom.
3. Audi RS6 Avant, but kind of wanted a Subaru Baja because it is good retarded.

1) McLaren 650S
2) Bentley Mulsanne
3) Range Rover Sport 5.0 V8 Supercharged

AlphaSnake

2. Aston Martin Rapide

Serious question, have you ever been in the backseat of a Rapide? It's a terrible and uncomfortable place to be for more than 20 minutes. The car has the room of a coupe with 4-doors. Very cramped.

Bandit1

Serious question, have you ever been in the backseat of a Rapide? It's a terrible and uncomfortable place to be for more than 20 minutes. The car has the room of a coupe with 4-doors. Very cramped.

Haha, no I haven't. Little above my pay grade. I just like the way they look.

1. Ferrari F40
2. Porsche 356 Speedster or Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. I don't like sitting in the back seat of a car.
3. Toyota Landcrusher. FJ80's are my favorite, but I think an FJ100 would be more ideal because of the V8

hwalker84

1. Laferrari
2. Sportschassis P4XL
3. Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6

Open_Speed

Neo Member

1. Nissan GTR
2. 997 GT3 RS 4.0, I don't like be driven anywhere.
3. Ford Raptor

1. Mazda RX-7 swapped with the Wankel R26B from the Le Mans winning Mazda 787B.
2. Rolls-Royce Phantom. Might as well enjoy the ride if I can't drive.
3. Benz G63 AMG 6x6. Yes, the one the Hamster drove in Abu Dhabi a while back.

mkenyon

Banned

Here's mine:

1. Ariel Atom.
Being someone who lives on acerage with horses, and 45 mins away from Mt. Rainier, I need to modify the questions a bit.

1. Nissan GTR
2. (Truck to tow horses) GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali
3. (Practical car for everyday commute + hauling dogs + going over mountain passes) Infiniti QX50. I have an EX35 right now, and I honestly don't even want anything else.

Ford dealer just called me, told me definitely need a new engine will cost $6500. It would cost $1k just for them to tear it apart to find out exactly whats wrong with it. Looks like im buying a new car....

Bandit1

Ford dealer just called me, told me definitely need a new engine will cost $6500. It would cost $1k just for them to tear it apart to find out exactly whats wrong with it. Looks like im buying a new car....

Tough deal, but it sounds like that's probably your best option.

Jeez, how many miles on the thing? That's really uncommon nowadays for a car to blow an engine like that all on its own.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

1. Nismo GTR
2. Audi A8L
3. Toyota Hilux Diesel

N-Bomb

That sounds kind of expensive to me. Probably save a lot of money if you can find a low/mid mileage used engine, get a non-dealer to do the swap.

TransTrender

Gold Member

Catastrophic rod bearing failure?
Oiling issue? Either a design flaw or user error?

Double check the Google on this type of failure mode for this engine. Maybe it's a known issue and you can get it taken care of with a personal or class action lawsuit.
Overall this seems too soon for a relatively new car...also assuming you don't have a ton of miles, like less than 125K or something. Of course, this is all assuming you always followed the regular maintenance schedule.

Worse case, just get a used engine from a reputable shop and have it replaced for significantly less money.

DasRaven

1. Formula Ford Ecoboost (or Cayman GTS if it must be street legal)
2. Becker Sprinter Jetvan
3. Range Rover Sport SVR

FStop7

Banned
Some pics from my day at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago. Perfect weather, great run groups, and an amazing experience. I've been to this track quite a number of times to watch events, but am always taken away by how massive the track is. If anyone ever has a chance to visit or even do a track day there then DO IT.

There were a number of surprises that I did NOT expect about the track itself:

5bSXPec.jpg

That's awesome. I love visiting Laguna Seca. Easily my favorite track. You don't realize how big the elevation changes are until you see it in person. Forza and Gran Turismo don't do that aspect much justice.

If you're photographing from the spectator areas, the corkscrew is probably the best spot. If you have photographer access then you can start at the top of the screw and walk down the hill to the inside of turn 9, then along the edge of the track until the outside of turn 10.

1. Ferrari 250 GTO
2. Rolls Phantom with protection
3. Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak

ascii42

1. Ooh, that's tough. Gotta go with some old Caddy. '59 Eldorado Brougham, maybe?
2. That's easier. Rolls-Royce Phantom.
3. I see some have mentioned the Raptor, which would be a blast, but I don't think I'd go with that. I'd want a pick-up, but I'd probably go with a car based one. I've always liked the El Camino, but I think I'll go with the Subaru Brat, since I think it's more interesting.

J-Rzez

Here's mine:

1. Ariel Atom.

1. McL P1
2. 6x6 AMG G-Wagon
3. Subaru 22B or, the new Range Rover Sport.

I would say Ariel Atom, but that's something "obtainable" for me, so I had to push the boundaries a bit, especially being a billionaire.

AlphaSnake

3. Range Rover Sport SVR

My man.

I wanted to write that as my #3, but it's price and release wasn't officially announced up until a few hours after I made the post hahaha. So I settled for the RR Sport 5.0 Supercharged

N-Bomb

I don't want to judge anyone's #1 choices, but I should say what has been on my mind:

"A car you can only drive yourself" - this doesn't mean that you're not allowed to have passengers (the way I read it).

I feel like it's easy to just pick the hardest-core cool street-legal track car you can think of, and my first impulse was also the Atom. But then I got to thinking - what if I don't want to take my crazy chauffer-car or wastelandmobile to the Safeway? In the rain? Maybe I just want to take a road trip up to some curvies in the countryside.

So with this in mind I picked something that would still be... while not necessarily practical, still offer some of the comforts of a normal car while providing a lot of fun.

Just my thought process. Great thought provoking questions!

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, that's the way I looked at it, and why I picked the GTR.

Living in the Pacific NW, AWD is essential to having a car that is fun to drive year round. The road is wet for like 8 months a year.

That, and my interest in cars started at the age of 16. Being in the Pac NW, the Japanese car thing was pretty natural to fall into, and GT 1/2 helped me learn all about the GTR. There was an R33 that was converted to left hand drive that was often down at PIR (Portland International Raceway), and the owner took me for some laps. I've been obsessed ever since.

I feel like it's easy to just pick the hardest-core cool street-legal track car you can think of, and my first impulse was also the Atom. But then I got to thinking - what if I don't want to take my crazy chauffer-car or wastelandmobile to the Safeway? In the rain? Maybe I just want to take a road trip up to some curvies in the countryside.

I agree, that's why I think the answer has to be some sort of sports/GT like a new 911, F-Type, Aston Martin or something similar.

Top Bottom