• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have had my Evolution for 10 years, and <70k mi on it. It is modded out, and it is a blast. But after having all that time with it, I am just feeling "meh" about it anymore. Not really bored, but not really excited about it. I was looking at a newer car just for some fresh blood, an updated interior, and better MPGs, and the 15 WRX seems to be the closest match to my Evo 8 as far as look and feel, not to mention I kind of just want to try out a different car maker as odd as that sounds.

I test drove the Evo X on 2 separate occasions now and just didn't like it. I didn't like the steering wheel, seats, interior, and "size/weight"-feel of the car. Granted I was able to tell at the bleeding edge it could probably outhandle my modded Evo, but everywhere until that point just felt more tame I guess. It certainly felt much-much heavier than my Evo and that was a big let down, plus the transmission felt really poor in comparison as well. The interior felt really meh and dated, and there are plenty of nightmares about problems with the car outside of it's powertrain (which is excellent in reliability). I don't want to deal with flimsy Mitsu build and finish quality, and while Subaru's paint isn't great, it's better than Mitsu's, that's for sure.

Overall in scope of things I don't think Mitsu's asking price reflects the performance anymore. In fact, the new STI really doesn't hit that as well. At one time EVOs/STIs were a bar above so many cars in performance. Now a days, they don't command that edge anymore and there are many cars near their price range that can match, or surpass their performance for the money. They're still great cars, especially if you live in a shitty state like I do where we have horrible winters, they just don't have that "wow" factor per dollar like they did in the past.

So I'm hoping I like the new WRX because it would still be a fun everyday car to me, and they are seemingly getting great MPGs to boot. I'm going to be doing quite a bit more driving daily soon here between work, school, and clinicals that I have to do in this program so the updated interior and better MPGs will be helpful. Plus, I'm at the point now where I would get this car, pay it off in 2 years, and then start going after a car and experience I lusted for years, an Ariel Atom.

As far as if you're looking for something new I assume, at this point I would probably go with 15 STI over a 15 Evo, and that's because the 15 STI seems to be more of a successor to the Evo 7/8/9 than the Evo X does in feel and performance (aka driving feel/experience). Plus even though Subaru's interior isn't "luxury" by any stretch, it's vastly superior to the Mitsu's in fit, feel, and finish.

Sorry for the long response, probably more than you wanted to read lol. If you have any questions about the 8/9/10 let me know. I know the cars inside and out pretty well, what you can expect out of them, and what mods to go for first and such.

Bro. Get a Pantera. Bro.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Plus even though Subaru's interior isn't "luxury" by any stretch, it's vastly superior to the Mitsu's in fit, feel, and finish.

I find this hard to believe. I own a 2013 WRX and while not a 2015 STi, they'd have to radically change the car's interior for it to be anything less than the abomination it is now.

The 2013's interior is the cheapest interior I've ever seen in a mass produced car over $15,000. It's made of worse materials than my bare-bones 1993 Ford Ranger. Whatever the material is they've pulled over those struggle ass foam seats reminds me of the plastic weave you see on lawn furniture that sits in front of Wal-mart. The door grips, cup holders and even the dash are made of astonishingly flimsy, hollow plastic that unsurprisingly rattle as you drive. The speakers are dull, muddy and completely lifeless while the stock head unit is a barely functional gigantic pain in the ass whos options for dialing in the sound can be covered in a single sentence; bass, treble and balance.

I've peeked inside a 2015 WRX and they've added a little more color to the instrument cluster and some fake ass carbon fiber trim that doesn't do anything to alleviate the cockpit's cheap feel but again, it wasn't a new STi so maybe things are better there.

Snakepit

I've only heard good things about them, but can't compare the two for you
Ok cool, even that helps thank you :)

What are you looking to do with the car? Just daily drive it?
Mainly a daily driver, wanted to get better brakes and also get more horsepower out of the engine but all in the realm of still keeping it a daily driver.

Speaking as a guy w/ Brembos... you don't really need them. In hindsight, I would've been happier w/ the two-pot brakes, as the Brembos are more of an image thing. I've never once come close to needing the extra performance they provide.
This is good information I appreciate this, yeah I was also under the impression of image status for brembos and not gonna lie they look amazing when installed, but from what it seems like Brembos won't be necessary for a daily driver if I'm not at the track constantly.

Maybe just try a set of higher-performance pads first and see if that gets you what you want?

I never really thought of this to be honest but this is a great idea and what I'm gonna do for this moment. If it satisfies what I was looking for then I'll stick with it

Open_Speed

Neo Member
I find this hard to believe. I own a 2013 WRX and while not a 2015 STi, they'd have to radically change the car's interior for it to be anything less than the abomination it is now.

The 2013's interior is the cheapest interior I've ever seen in a mass produced car over $15,000. It's made of worse materials than my bare-bones 1993 Ford Ranger. Whatever the material is they've pulled over those struggle ass foam seats reminds me of the plastic weave you see on lawn furniture that sits in front of Wal-mart. The door grips, cup holders and even the dash are made of astonishingly flimsy, hollow plastic that unsurprisingly rattle as you drive. The speakers are dull, muddy and completely lifeless while the stock head unit is a barely functional gigantic pain in the ass whos options for dialing in the sound can be covered in a single sentence; bass, treble and balance.

I've peeked inside a 2015 WRX and they've added a little more color to the instrument cluster and some fake ass carbon fiber trim that doesn't do anything to alleviate the cockpit's cheap feel but again, it wasn't a new STi so maybe things are better there.

Well you have to consider that he owns an Evo 8, which is now 10 years old. I have an Evo 9, with the same interior as him, the interior is so bad it makes my Wrangler interior look like a BMW. I will say, however, that the Recaro seats make worth it. I haven't gotten to sit in a new WRX, but it has to have a better interior than an early 2000s lancer.

Ok cool, even that helps thank you :)

Mainly a daily driver, wanted to get better brakes and also get more horsepower out of the engine but all in the realm of still keeping it a daily driver.

This is good information I appreciate this, yeah I was also under the impression of image status for brembos and not gonna lie they look amazing when installed, but from what it seems like Brembos won't be necessary for a daily driver if I'm not at the track constantly.

I never really thought of this to be honest but this is a great idea and what I'm gonna do for this moment. If it satisfies what I was looking for then I'll stick with it

As a daily driver, just get something with slightly higher performance over stock pads. Winmax W1, Project Mu NS400, Hawk HPS, Stoptech Street Performance, EBC Red or Green Stuff. It's best to get new rotors along with it and properly bed them in, but you could get away with just machining/turning your rotors too. You'll get more performance over stock at the expense of more brake dust and noise, so keep that in mind.

Chiester

Got the celica back from paint and upholstery. Now that it's back there is some wiring issues that I want to try to fix with my dad.
VrMBZdY.jpg

GNoTdd9.jpg

OQXdRXH.jpg

manfestival

I replaced the TPS on my 93 civic del sol but for some reason it does this weird thing where the power drains randomly and I have to rev it harder before it goes back to functioning normal. My buddy suspects that it might be a fuel hose but I dont know cars all that well. I am planning on selling the car and I feel this will dramatically drop the value of the car.

I replaced the TPS on my 93 civic del sol but for some reason it does this weird thing where the power drains randomly and I have to rev it harder before it goes back to functioning normal. My buddy suspects that it might be a fuel hose but I dont know cars all that well. I am planning on selling the car and I feel this will dramatically drop the value of the car.

What do you mean the power drains and you have to rev it harder? Does the engine rpm drop off and you have to press the gas pedal to keep it idling?

And it happens randomly? Are we talking sitting there idling for a minute then suddenly it starts dying?

Edit: Also, who replaced the TPS, you? Are you sure it's adjusted properly, screwed down nice and tight?

manfestival

What do you mean the power drains and you have to rev it harder? Does the engine rpm drop off and you have to press the gas pedal to keep it idling?

And it happens randomly? Are we talking sitting there idling for a minute then suddenly it starts dying?

Edit: Also, who replaced the TPS, you? Are you sure it's adjusted properly, screwed down nice and tight?

well this was happening before the TPS was replaced. It was only replaced because my check engine light came on around the time of this problem and the error was for the TPS.

The car can sit idling and it happens but its not as noticeable. I can get power back if I rev the car harder but if I am driving it normally, the power will disappear. RPM stays high. I press the gas pedal to avoid stalling out but im not sure if its necessary. It is kinda random but it will happen guaranteed once the car gets warm. Especially during a 10 minute car ride. It doesnt feel like the car is dying or the power is gone(I also replaced the battery recently) but it feels like most of the power was sucked away and it runs just not as strong.

Ah Evo vs STi talk...

I was thinking about buying one or the other, during my second shipping delay for my Silvia. I got to test drive STi 10' hatchback, and a 09' Evo X. I have to say that the interiors in both were kinda cruddy for the money, but I'd give the nod to the X. The Recaro seats were a nice touch, and I preferred the overall look of the interior in the X.

Got the celica back from paint and upholstery. Now that it's back there is some wiring issues that I want to try to fix with my dad.

This is awesome! I love me some Japanese classics!

well this was happening before the TPS was replaced. It was only replaced because my check engine light came on around the time of this problem and the error was for the TPS.

The car can sit idling and it happens but its not as noticeable. I can get power back if I rev the car harder but if I am driving it normally, the power will disappear. RPM stays high. I press the gas pedal to avoid stalling out but im not sure if its necessary. It is kinda random but it will happen guaranteed once the car gets warm. Especially during a 10 minute car ride. It doesnt feel like the car is dying or the power is gone(I also replaced the battery recently) but it feels like most of the power was sucked away and it runs just not as strong.

What do you mean by "rev the car harder", you mean push the gas pedal in further and still not enough power? Pretty open-ended but my first guess would be old spark plugs or wires causing misfire; if they're original they're almost certainly badly worn at this point.

manfestival

What do you mean by "rev the car harder", you mean push the gas pedal in further and still not enough power? Pretty open-ended but my first guess would be old spark plugs or wires causing misfire; if they're original they're almost certainly badly worn at this point.

I mean applying more gas and sometimes that will bring the car back into full power but not guaranteed

I mean applying more gas and sometimes that will bring the car back into full power but not guaranteed

Well it could be a lot of things so diagnostics are called for, but my first instinct would be that the plugs and wires are old and grounding out. You can check for that--park your car in a dark garage, turn out all of the lights, let your eyes adjust then watch the spark wires. If they're going bad you'll see a little lightshow as the wires allow sparks through to the engine block. It's gotta be pitch black, no lights at all.

Don't hang out too long in there or else you'll die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

MilkBeard

Well it could be a lot of things so diagnostics are called for, but my first instinct would be that the plugs and wires are old and grounding out. You can check for that--park your car in a dark garage, turn out all of the lights, let your eyes adjust then watch the spark wires. If they're going bad you'll see a little lightshow as the wires allow sparks through to the engine block. It's gotta be pitch black, no lights at all.

Don't hang out too long in there or else you'll die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I'm gonna second the tuneup, and also here is a thread to check out, manfestival. The problem isn't exactly the same but it might lead you somewhere:

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=1105933
Doing a little google search goes a long way. I've correctly diagnosed a number of problems this way. One person in that thread suggested that those Hondas are prone to the ignition coil going bad. Just another thing to try if the spark plugs/wires/distributor doesn't fix it.

TylerD

AutoGaf: You inherit ludicrous billions and you have to limit yourself to three cars, for some supernatural reason.

1. A car you only drive yourself.
2. A car you are chauffeured in.
3. A practical car for outdoor activities

1) Porsche 991 911 Turbo S, the ultimate daily IMO
2) S63 AMG 4MATIC sedan loaded to the gills
3) Range Rover Autobiography

Well, while doing my clutch I found that I have a Legacy GT (turbo) transmission in my little RS Impreza, looks like I may need a new clutch.

I love little surprises like that lol

Snakepit

As a daily driver, just get something with slightly higher performance over stock pads. Winmax W1, Project Mu NS400, Hawk HPS, Stoptech Street Performance, EBC Red or Green Stuff. It's best to get new rotors along with it and properly bed them in, but you could get away with just machining/turning your rotors too. You'll get more performance over stock at the expense of more brake dust and noise, so keep that in mind.

Thanks Giant Robot I'll definitely look into those since there are quite of bit of options that I wasn't aware about haha, and dust and noise is a sacrifice I'm willing to make for better braking in the long run, those issues aren't too bad

I'm drooling the car looks great and I agree with Bandit I wanna see the upholstery

asdad123

Hey guys,

I had my oil changed in my car about 3 weeks ago, and ever since then, I noticed a tiny oil drip coming from the bottom of my car. At first I thought they just spilled some oil while pouring it in and it was just residual so I wiped it off and let it be. However, some weeks after, I noticed the oil again. Its not much, but it is starting to worry me. It could very well still be residual as it is still very clear (I checked the engine oil and it is brown in color already), but Im just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be. I have wiped it off of the silver part near the bolt on the left side of the picture. I can't find any oil elsewhere. I checked under the hood, and all under the car and the silver part is the only place I wiped the clear oil off of. Can it still be residual oil that was spilled or a worse problem?

2014 Grand Cherokee

Lol holy crap, I can't catch a break with any dealership. I made an appointment last week for today with a different dealership since I had pretty bad service at my original one. I took it in today, and the dealership denied to even take a look at the car without me forking over a $130 diagnostic fee. Came in with a 4 month old car with 3400 miles on it with leaking oil. One would assume it would be under warranty (and I even have the extended lifetime warranty purchased through Mopar/Jeep). They even had the audacity that it could have been something I caused by hitting a pothole without even taking a look at the car (I didn't hit anything). How they could come up with that line, I don't know. Needless to say, I got a little loud when they accused me of causing this.

Im at a loss for words. I don't even care anymore. I took it back to the original dealer, told them to keep it as long as they want and to just fix it.

robox

I have to say, those new '15 WRXs look great. I saw one sitting in a driveway with the WRB color. The design is an improvement in my opinion, at least from the previous year. Some people don't like how the style is toned down, but I think it looks smooth and consistent. The car does look a lot better with the STI spoiler, though.

i agree. saw some dressed up examples and they look a lot like the really sporty first concept

J-Rzez

Well you have to consider that he owns an Evo 8, which is now 10 years old. I have an Evo 9, with the same interior as him, the interior is so bad it makes my Wrangler interior look like a BMW. I will say, however, that the Recaro seats make worth it. I haven't gotten to sit in a new WRX, but it has to have a better interior than an early 2000s lancer.

See you know that feel.

My Evo does have 3 of my favorite, and most important factory parts of an interior though: The Momo steering wheel is fantastic. The shifter is one of the best from a factory, it still to this very day has zero wobble and still feels perfect. And, I'm going to miss my leather Recaro's. Now the new WRX/STI wheel feels fantastic, the shifter and seats, bleh, going to have to address them.

And Chiester, damn... that's something you don't see everyday. Such a fantastic looking car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Lol holy crap, I can't catch a break with any dealership. I made an appointment last week for today with a different dealership since I had pretty bad service at my original one. I took it in today, and the dealership denied to even take a look at the car without me forking over a $130 diagnostic fee. Came in with a 4 month old car with 3400 miles on it with leaking oil. One would assume it would be under warranty (and I even have the extended lifetime warranty purchased through Mopar/Jeep). They even had the audacity that it could have been something I caused by hitting a pothole without even taking a look at the car (I didn't hit anything). How they could come up with that line, I don't know. Needless to say, I got a little loud when they accused me of causing this.

Im at a loss for words. I don't even care anymore. I took it back to the original dealer, told them to keep it as long as they want and to just fix it.

Call a lemon attorney immediately. Get rid of this piece of shit car.

keiichi

Looking for sedan recommendations for a daily driver around the 35k range.

I know the following vary but I'm debating between:

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

Is there anything else out there I should be considering ? Maybe the Mazda 6?

Malvingt2

wow. Man, I feel bad for you.. :( that is some bs that they are doing to you.

Shapingo

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

Do not spend $35 large on a 2015 WRX. I got mine for $25,000. It is the base though.

What are you looking for in a car? You have two AWD vehicles and the Volvo S60 and TLX are larger than the other two.

The Audi A3 is kind of a pretty VW Jetta at its bare bones. It is the only Audi I know of that has FWD on the entry level model. The TLX has the best interior but drives like a super Accord (I drove the last generation though) *boring

It doesn't look like you considered American cars, how about Korean ones?

J-Rzez

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

You can get a WRX for a lot, lot less than that. It's hard to calculate exactly what I'm truly paying on one because they just threw more money down on my trade in value (before they even saw the car lol) and i'm grabbing a "Premium" model for just, just under $28k.

You're comparing really odd cars there though, the WRX seems pretty out of place. It's different machine and experience all around from those. First off, it's interior is piss poor in comparison. Second, it's performance and most likely "driving experience" is going to way to the opposite side of those. It's not focused on luxury at all, in any way, shape, or form. You have some AWD in there, and the only other similarity is that the WRX is ridiculously safe in crash tests like a Volvo product. It's reliability is probably not far off from the Acura (too early to tell).

I'll let you know after I go next week to check it out my impressions.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

Volvo. My mom has an S60 T5 2013 and it's a fantastic car, the 2014s are even better as their transmissions have become superb. The A3 is a nice little car, but a bit simple, small, and arguably expensive.

The base Acura TLX comes with a measly 200HP 4-banger...to lug around a 3800lb car. Yeah, no. That sounds rather miserable.

The Audi A3 is kind of a pretty VW Jetta at its bare bones. It is the only Audi I know of that has FWD on the entry level model. The TLX has the best interior but drives like a super Accord (I drove the last generation though) *boring

Audi A4, A5, A6 and Q5 are all FWD when base, not just the A3.

keiichi

Do not spend $35 large on a 2015 WRX. I got mine for $25,000. It is the base though.

What are you looking for in a car? You have two AWD vehicles and the Volvo S60 and TLX are larger than the other two.

It doesn't look like you considered American cars, how about Korean ones?

Thanks! I put the WRX in there but I figured it would be well below the 35k figure since it wasn’t the STI. We’re really just looking for a not-boring sedan around that price range, AWD would be a nice bonus but not a deal breaker.

I really like the design of the Audi but have heard horrible things with problems.

I test drove a Ford Taurus and Chrysler 300 .. felt like I was driving a boat but they were pretty solid otherwise. I haven’t looked into the Hyundai Genesis or Sonata but maybe I should.

You can get a WRX for a lot, lot less than that. It's hard to calculate exactly what I'm truly paying on one because they just threw more money down on my trade in value (before they even saw the car lol) and i'm grabbing a "Premium" model for just, just under $28k.

You're comparing really odd cars there though, the WRX seems pretty out of place. It's different machine and experience all around from those. First off, it's interior is piss poor in comparison. Second, it's performance and most likely "driving experience" is going to way to the opposite side of those. It's not focused on luxury at all, in any way, shape, or form. You have some AWD in there, and the only other similarity is that the WRX is ridiculously safe in crash tests like a Volvo product. It's reliability is probably not far off from the Acura (too early to tell).

I'll let you know after I go next week to check it out my impressions.

Thanks! Please post your impressions later. I guess we’re trying to find a balance between luxury and a non stale driving experience.

Volvo. My mom has an S60 T5 2013 and it's a fantastic car, the 2014s are even better as their transmissions have become superb. The A3 is a nice little car, but a bit simple, small, and arguably expensive.

The base Acura TLX comes with a measly 200HP 4-banger...to lug around a 3800lb car. Yeah, no. That sounds rather miserable.

Audi A4, A5, A6 and Q5 are all FWD when base, not just the A3.

Thanks! The Volvo is definitely nice and may be up there as one of our choices. Ouch, I didn’t know the TLX was that hefty.

asdad123

Thanks! I put the WRX in there but I figured it would be well below the 35k figure since it wasn’t the STI. We’re really just looking for a not-boring sedan around that price range, AWD would be a nice bonus but not a deal breaker.

I really like the design of the Audi but have heard horrible things with problems.

I test drove a Ford Taurus and Chrysler 300 .. felt like I was driving a boat but they were pretty solid otherwise. I haven’t looked into the Hyundai Genesis or Sonata but maybe I should.

Thanks! Please post your impressions later. I guess we’re trying to find a balance between luxury and a non stale driving experience.

Thanks! The Volvo is definitely nice and may be up there as one of our choices. Ouch, I didn’t know the TLX was that hefty.

The Kia Optima and Hyundai sonata are good looking sedans in the 20k (lowest trim) to 30k (bells and whistles). My parents have a 2011 optima and love it. I drove it from time to time and I like it.

The newest genesis is a little over your price range as it starts at 38k but I love how it looks. Maybe looks at a year or 2 old genesis if you want AWD.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow, I didn't know that. I don't know why I thought they were RWD.

No Audi's are set up to be RWD. They have longitudinal engines, (minus the A3 that has a transverse because it is based on the Golf platform), but their transmissions are setup to be either AWD or FWD. The FWD models just don't have an output shaft heading to the rear, but the transmissions are very nearly the same.

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

For a daily driver it'd be the Audi A3 or the Volvo S60 imo.

minx

Daily driver I would go TLX especially if you keep your cars a long time. Honda reliability. Do you have a family? Extra size it has would help.

MilkBeard

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

Another one to look at is the Kia Optima SX Limited, has slightly more performance feel and better interior design than the standard ones, for a much cheaper price than the luxury cars (think 27K). No manual, though. Otherwise the WRX would be a good car to get in my own opinion. However, I'm not sure about your living sitation; if you want something that is considered more upscale, and who else would be driving it. I admit I'm a little biased against luxury brands.

Snakepit

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

I would say the Volvo S60 but does MPG matter to you? The Suburu won't get as good MPG as the others but if your looking for a fun car the WRX/STI is the best choice.

The others are peaking around at least 35 mpg I believe.

And I've heard good things about the Mazada 6, but the real question is have you taken any for a test drive?

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

As a current 2013 TL owner, i've looked closely at the TLX for when my lease ends and am really unimpressed with its technology.

Some manufacturer's are pushing the envelope with their tech (see Audi) and here Acura is releasing a brand new car model on the market for 2015 and its tech offerings are lackluster... again.

Chiester

ZN9z4GQ.jpg
Only before pic I have is the dash
VRq7iO9.jpg
Dash after
Ft97cR4.jpg
Headliner was all beat up before
NZ5w7qL.jpg
The rear shelf had two huge holes before. I'm guessing for speakers.
wnVi67V.jpg
The trunk didnt even have a board or anything in there so we got one made.

The dash is still missing a lot of pieces like the radio as you can see in the dash after pic. There is some stuff that I'm already looking to replace such as the shift knob that the previous owner put on. Maybe even replace the clear corner lights with amber ones.

MisterNoisy

the real question is have you taken any for a test drive?

This right here. People will try to tell you what to buy on forums all day - need seat time to really know what works for you, and with your budget and requirements (sedan that isn't totally boring), there's a LOT of iron out there to try out, and salespeople will be more than happy to give you seat time.

The dash is still missing a lot of pieces like the radio as you can see in the dash after pic. There is some stuff that I'm already looking to replace such as the shift knob that the previous owner put on. Maybe even replace the clear corner lights with amber ones.

Nice work, particularly on the dash - it's night and day. :)

MilkBeard

Damn, nice restoration work.

asdad123

Quick question,

My friend has a 1999 Passat, and his Power Windows, Locks, and Interior lights do not work. We tried switching the fuses for the locks/windows (Fuse 6 and Fuse 14), but they still dont work.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom