• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AutoGaf: You inherit ludicrous billions and you have to limit yourself to three cars, for some supernatural reason.

1. A car you only drive yourself.
2. A car you are chauffeured in.
3. A practical car for outdoor activity

1-ferrari 250 GTO
2- bugatti veyron SS
3- Nissan juke R

MisterNoisy

AutoGaf: You inherit ludicrous billions and you have to limit yourself to three cars, for some supernatural reason.

3. A practical car for outdoor activities.

1. So many choices, but I really dig the Eagle Speedster
2. I actually hate the idea of being chauffeured, but probably a Roller Phantom
3. Depending on what you mean by 'outdoor activities', either the Rally Fighter or an Icon FJ44.

Would it be a bad idea to change my car battery when it's raining? Need to put in a new one, haven't done it before, not sure if it's a no-no. Google mostly gave me a bunch of yahoo answers. Thanks.

Ty4on

Would it be a bad idea to change my car battery when it's raining? Need to put in a new one, haven't done it before, not sure if it's a no-no. Google mostly gave me a bunch of yahoo answers. Thanks.

I don't see why it would be a bad idea. The terminals are so far apart they're almost impossible to short (unless you dipped it into salty water) and the main chemical inside a car battery is water.

bcl0328

taken on I-75

Lo0iHso.jpg

ameratsu

Hey car gaf

There's a new three part BBC series called James May's Cars of the People. First part aired recently and is definitely worth watching.

Watch the first part here

MisterNoisy

Shit. Yeah, I change my answer to the Speedster too. What a sexy thing. Oh, either that or the Singer 911. Choices are hard, dude.

The Singer is awesome too and would be my second pick. I find myself liking old cars more and more as I get older, but I also like the reliability and performance of new cars.

J-Rzez

So I get a call from the dealership I ordered the WRX through today, the same dealer telling me the car wouldn't be in until mid/late Sept.

-"Hi, just to let you know, your car is here".

-"Welp, guess I'm going to have to get down there next week since I can't change my work schedule or the couple customers I have for my side detailing stuff"

- "OK, well try to get here ASAP so we don't have it on the lot too long".

- "I will, but you guys never told me it was coming in this soon, no heads up, and never updated me on the progress of the build"

- "Sorry, yeah, well come in at your leisure, no rush"

Then I get a call a little while later:

- "Hey, my sales mgr asked me to call you, can you come in this weekend? We're getting swamped with people coming in to buy the car."

- "No offense, but not my problem. I just spoke to you on the phone about this. You guys sprang this on me out of nowhere. I'll get down there when I can. You have a big dealership, hide it out back, in the shop, where ever. Or keep it outside for people to look at. I don't care, I know how many miles are on the car. Any added miles to the car and I'm not going to be happy as that means people are test driving or beating on my car."

- "Oh, ok, well lots of people are offering to buy it."

- "So, you're saying you're going to sell the car I ordered, that I have a receipt of deposit on?"

- "Um, not really."

- "OK then, thanks for letting me know so many are interested in my ordered car that I put a deposit on. Maybe it'll allow you to sell a few more WRXs from the people looking at the car."

- "Um, ok, thanks, let me know when you can come in then. Btw, I sent you the financing link in an email to fill out everything and then you can email me your driver's lic and proof of insurance".

- "Ok, like said, not buying it until I drive it myself. So why would I take a hit on my credit if I'm not sure if i'm 100% certain I'll be happy with it?"

- "Err, right, yeah, makes sense I guess"

- "OK then, I'll get back to you, take care".

- "Thanks _____, look forward to meeting you in person and checking out your Evolution"

Ugh... car salespeople.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I get a call from the dealership I ordered the WRX through today, the same dealer telling me the car wouldn't be in until mid/late Sept.

-"Welp, guess I'm going to have to get down there next week since I can't change my work schedule or the couple customers I have for my side detailing stuff"

- "I will, but you guys never told me it was coming in this soon, no heads up, and never updated me on the progress of the build"

- "Hey, my sales mgr asked me to call you, can you come in this weekend? We're getting swamped with people coming in to buy the car."

- "No offense, but not my problem. I just spoke to you on the phone about this. You guys sprang this on me out of nowhere. I'll get down there when I can. You have a big dealership, hide it out back, in the shop, where ever. Or keep it outside for people to look at. I don't care, I know how many miles are on the car. Any added miles to the car and I'm not going to be happy as that means people are test driving or beating on my car."

- "So, you're saying you're going to sell the car I ordered, that I have a receipt of deposit on?"

- "Um, not really."

- "OK then, thanks for letting me know so many are interested in my ordered car that I put a deposit on. Maybe it'll allow you to sell a few more WRXs from the people looking at the car."

- "Um, ok, thanks, let me know when you can come in then. Btw, I sent you the financing link in an email to fill out everything and then you can email me your driver's lic and proof of insurance".

- "Ok, like said, not buying it until I drive it myself. So why would I take a hit on my credit if I'm not sure if i'm 100% certain I'll be happy with it?"

- "Thanks _____, look forward to meeting you in person and checking out your Evolution"

Ugh... car salespeople.

And this is the good part. When you get to the lot, it's like an Orwellian nightmare.

It's the worst industry in America, closely followed by cab and cable companies.

J-Rzez

And this is the good part. When you get to the lot, it's like an Orwellian nightmare.

It's the worst industry in America, closely followed by cab and cable companies.

That is probably the best, most accurate descriptor ever applied to the "new car buying experience". And it's the damn truth. Every single time it's the same song and dance from these guys. Doesn't matter what kind of car or truck it is too. "We got about XX offers on your _____ since it came in!".

Damn, a brand new Evo! You must be the only person in the world.

15 WRX. They're after my Evo as a trade in. One of the mechanics at the dealership asked if he can call me to talk about my car, guess he wants it bad. They're a nephew of the stealership's owner apparently.

Just did a Caterham experience event for the full day, doing timed slalom runs, it was so freaking epic! Totally worth the money too. It's most certainly my next big purchase, excluding a house!

I'd never driven something with unassisted brakes or steering and it was quite a workout with all the countersteering involved. The brakes were fine but the pedal only had about 2 cm of travel, but even then it wasn't easy to lock up.

We were told they'd put the hardest/cheapest compounds on the back to encourage us to do doughnuts for a section of the circuit, so it won't be quite so lively when I get my own!

J-Rzez

Just did a Caterham experience event for the full day, doing timed slalom runs, it was so freaking epic! Totally worth the money too. It's most certainly my next big purchase, excluding a house!

I'd never driven something with unassisted brakes or steering and it was quite a workout with all the countersteering involved. The brakes were fine but the pedal only had about 2 cm of travel, but even then it wasn't easy to lock up.

We were told they'd put the hardest/cheapest compounds on the back to encourage us to do doughnuts for a section of the circuit, so it won't be quite so lively when I get my own!

Can't go wrong with them, love their looks. I'm more into the Ariel Atoms myself. But that's going to end up being my next car when I pay off this one in two years. Those types of cars are some of the most fun, purest driving experiences you can ever have. No electro-nannies, hell, no ABS. Just "pure" driving. And damned fast for the money.

Can't go wrong with them, love their looks. I'm more into the Ariel Atoms myself. But that's going to end up being my next car when I pay off this one in two years. Those types of cars are some of the most fun, purest driving experiences you can ever have. No electro-nannies, hell, no ABS. Just "pure" driving. And damned fast for the money.

Yeah, absolute classic. I'd been interested for a long time now but it would just be wiser to buy my first house, before splashing savings on a toy.

Gran Turismo has certainly helped when it came to hooking up bends sideways!

lem0n

3. A practical car for outdoor activities.

Here's mine:

1. Ariel Atom.
2. Audi A8. Not S. Chauffeur doesn't need fun. Maybach is getting dated.
3. Audi RS6 Avant, but kind of wanted a Subaru Baja because it is good retarded.

1. Porsche Carrera GT
2. Jaguar XJL Portfolio
3. Land Rover 110

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

- "Um, not really."

Ugh... car salespeople.

When they run a credit app, your credit takes a hit for all of 3 days. It's not really a big deal.

Snakepit

So I'm thinking of putting new brakes on my accord sport, was looking at brembo but its too expensive at this point.

A friend recommended EBC brakes, does anyone have EBC brakes and are they worth it? or another brake company I should look at? Or should I keep saving until Brembos are achievable

So I'm thinking of putting new brakes on my accord sport, was looking at brembo but its too expensive at this point.

A friend recommended EBC brakes, does anyone have EBC brakes and are they worth it? or another brake company I should look at? Or should I keep saving until Brembos are achievable

I've only heard good things about them, but can't compare the two for you

What are you looking to do with the car? Just daily drive it?

N-Bomb

Speaking as a guy w/ Brembos... you don't really need them. In hindsight, I would've been happier w/ the two-pot brakes, as the Brembos are more of an image thing. I've never once come close to needing the extra performance they provide.

MisterNoisy

Maybe just try a set of higher-performance pads first and see if that gets you what you want?

ameratsu

Not surprised. Everything is/can be counterfeited. One reason why I always buy from a trusted source or main distributor and not some random retailer that has an "account" with a company.

Counterfeits can and have ended up with trusted sources. If the fakes are good enough, sometimes the companies themselves have trouble distinguishing imitation from real, and sometimes the quality differences are closer than what you might think. This doc has a pretty good look into the business of counterfeit goods that details why this is possible.

Counterfeits can and have ended up with trusted sources. If the fakes are good enough, sometimes the companies themselves have trouble distinguishing imitation from real, and sometimes the quality differences are closer than what you might think. This doc has a pretty good look into the business of counterfeit goods that details why this is possible.

I'm well aware of the counterfeits and replicas out there. That's why I don't like to deal with "vendors" who simply dropship parts because they have small buy in accounts with Brembo, KW, Eibach, etc. Going to a main distributor can help reduce the chance of ending up with counterfiet/reps.

I'll admit that some counterfeits and reps out there do look good and some might fit well, but I don't agree with the unethical practices of it at any cost.

When they run a credit app, your credit takes a hit for all of 3 days. It's not really a big deal.

That's not true at all. Inquiries stay on your credit for 2 years and most dealerships run it through multiple banks, so you rack up anywhere between 5-15 inquiries. Some creditors stop taking inquiries into account when applying for new credit 6 months after they appear, while others take them into account 12 or even the full 24 months.

MilkBeard

I have to say, those new '15 WRXs look great. I saw one sitting in a driveway with the WRB color. The design is an improvement in my opinion, at least from the previous year. Some people don't like how the style is toned down, but I think it looks smooth and consistent. The car does look a lot better with the STI spoiler, though.

FStop7

Banned
Probably going to replace my M6 in the next year.

I'm kind of underwhelmed by the M4's looks and stats. The color choices aren't great, either. White is done to death. I don't want another silver or gray car, yet. Black is a PITA. Sakhir orange is meh. YM Blue is meh. Austin Yellow is mega meh.

The new M5 was not thrilling to drive. The M6 looks great but it drives like the M5 and it's way overpriced.

Hoping the M2 turns out to be the dark horse.

Or I might embrace the dark side and look at the Cayman GTS or the Jag F-Type R.

Oh, I forgot about the Cor-vitt. That's actually a very interesting possibility.

Scoobert

- "Um, not really."

Ugh... car salespeople.

It's not their fault your car got there so early. You should be happy. Most likely a car was built that had no dealer yet and it had your options. So it ended up to you and your dealer.

But dealers being dealers. They probably have it listed on their site or they are BSing you and want to sell it already.

J-Rzez

It's not their fault your car got there so early. You should be happy. Most likely a car was built that had no dealer yet and it had your options. So it ended up to you and your dealer.

But dealers being dealers. They probably have it listed on their site or they are BSing you and want to sell it already.

Not listed on their site. Sell it already? They had it 2 days now basically lol. I'm happy my car is there, I'm not happy that they're pressuring me to get down there when I got no heads up on a car that was supposed to be there next month. I work FT, while detailing cars on the side (blah blah student too just class didn't start lol), and I fully explained that I had my two days off already this week and it's over an hour away for me to get there. I also have my schedule posted for next week and told them I'll try to get someone to switch because my only day off next week is Sunday and they're closed then. So, I don't need the toying. Especially after they failed to deliver to me promptly or at all details on the car, including the sure delivery date the first week of the month, and final pricing.

So considering they were never prompt, yet pressured me to do a deposit, and in some cases never contacted me with vital/promised information, they have no reason to complain. I also know that even if I told them to fuck off they would say OK and sell the car tomorrow. lol.

But yeah, I only had one great dealership experience my entire life thus far, and of all the cars, it was my Evo. The dealership threw me the keys, told me to have fun, and didn't come along on the ride even. I put money down that day on the car when I got back.

Anyways, on a lighter note, how about this for a weird dyno. This is with a Intake and some "modified" catback exhaust, no tune on the FA20DIT:

Stock HP: 213.67
Stock Ft-lb: 244.51

Intake/CBE HP: 257.20
Intake/CBE Ft-lb: 278.71

Pretty odd to see the majority of power coming from an intake. Guess Subaru tried to really detune this motor to not shame the EJ25 or something. Will be interesting to see it tuned out and with a proper TBE.

I hope I don't hate this new car, because this motor seems fantastic, and I want to love it and buy it. Will make a great fun, more economical commuter. Then I can focus on my Atom.

That's not true at all. Inquiries stay on your credit for 2 years and most dealerships run it through multiple banks, so you rack up anywhere between 5-15 inquiries. Some creditors stop taking inquiries into account when applying for new credit 6 months after they appear, while others take them into account 12 or even the full 24 months.

Unless you're constantly shopping around for stuff pulling inquiries it's not going to affect your score in any meaningful way. It's not something you need to worry about.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

They may be visible as part of your history, but they virtually have no affect on your actual score after a few days.

If credit runs actually lowered your score for that long, the entire country would have shitty credit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That is probably the best, most accurate descriptor ever applied to the "new car buying experience". And it's the damn truth. Every single time it's the same song and dance from these guys. Doesn't matter what kind of car or truck it is too. "We got about XX offers on your _____ since it came in!".

15 WRX. They're after my Evo as a trade in. One of the mechanics at the dealership asked if he can call me to talk about my car, guess he wants it bad. They're a nephew of the stealership's owner apparently.

as someone looking to get an evo in the next few months, can i ask why you got rid of yours in favor of the scoob?

Unless you're constantly shopping around for stuff pulling inquiries it's not going to affect your score in any meaningful way. It's not something you need to worry about.

Well yeah, if you don't need to apply for credit again any time soon, the temporary drop won't have a huge affect.

They may be visible as part of your history, but they virtually have no affect on your actual score after a few days.

If credit runs actually lowered your score for that long, the entire country would have shitty credit.

Again, they do have a longer lasting affect. I work in finance and I know we decline people with more than a couple of inquiries within 6 months automatically. I've been in finance for several companies and it always has an affect, especially if it is a computer system determining an approval. If it is a manual underwriter looking at credit, they can see you were car shopping and it shouldn't have a big affect on your approval odds or apr.

J-Rzez

as someone looking to get an evo in the next few months, can i ask why you got rid of yours in favor of the scoob?

I have had my Evolution for 10 years, and <70k mi on it. It is modded out, and it is a blast. But after having all that time with it, I am just feeling "meh" about it anymore. Not really bored, but not really excited about it. I was looking at a newer car just for some fresh blood, an updated interior, and better MPGs, and the 15 WRX seems to be the closest match to my Evo 8 as far as look and feel, not to mention I kind of just want to try out a different car maker as odd as that sounds.

I test drove the Evo X on 2 separate occasions now and just didn't like it. I didn't like the steering wheel, seats, interior, and "size/weight"-feel of the car. Granted I was able to tell at the bleeding edge it could probably outhandle my modded Evo, but everywhere until that point just felt more tame I guess. It certainly felt much-much heavier than my Evo and that was a big let down, plus the transmission felt really poor in comparison as well. The interior felt really meh and dated, and there are plenty of nightmares about problems with the car outside of it's powertrain (which is excellent in reliability). I don't want to deal with flimsy Mitsu build and finish quality, and while Subaru's paint isn't great, it's better than Mitsu's, that's for sure.

Overall in scope of things I don't think Mitsu's asking price reflects the performance anymore. In fact, the new STI really doesn't hit that as well. At one time EVOs/STIs were a bar above so many cars in performance. Now a days, they don't command that edge anymore and there are many cars near their price range that can match, or surpass their performance for the money. They're still great cars, especially if you live in a shitty state like I do where we have horrible winters, they just don't have that "wow" factor per dollar like they did in the past.

So I'm hoping I like the new WRX because it would still be a fun everyday car to me, and they are seemingly getting great MPGs to boot. I'm going to be doing quite a bit more driving daily soon here between work, school, and clinicals that I have to do in this program so the updated interior and better MPGs will be helpful. Plus, I'm at the point now where I would get this car, pay it off in 2 years, and then start going after a car and experience I lusted for years, an Ariel Atom.

As far as if you're looking for something new I assume, at this point I would probably go with 15 STI over a 15 Evo, and that's because the 15 STI seems to be more of a successor to the Evo 7/8/9 than the Evo X does in feel and performance (aka driving feel/experience). Plus even though Subaru's interior isn't "luxury" by any stretch, it's vastly superior to the Mitsu's in fit, feel, and finish.

Sorry for the long response, probably more than you wanted to read lol. If you have any questions about the 8/9/10 let me know. I know the cars inside and out pretty well, what you can expect out of them, and what mods to go for first and such.

Top Bottom