• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

MilkBeard

Thanks, I did google it and saw that it might be the CCM, but I never found that website with directions. All I read is that it could be a $500 repair and he doesnt have that kind of money.

Yeah, seems like if you don't mind messing with some wires, you might be able to fix it without having to buy the whole part. Hopefully that does it for him. I have to agree with the person in the article, it's really bad design to put that underneath your feet.

In fact, one car I had in the past had a major leak in the trunk, and that water would roll to the front of the car if I parked on a hill. If that car had wires down there, I would have had an even bigger problem on my hands.

EDIT: A good idea: If you want to replace the whole part, try hitting up a local junk yard and see if you can lift one from a car from there that doesn't have signs of water damage. It's an option instead of shelling $400 or whatever the hell VW will charge for the part.

Viperbah

The actual Z06 weights were just posted...

Z06 coupe = 3,524
Z06 convertible = 3,582

A little heavy, but the numbers were expected.

Viperbah

A little bit! HA! The C6 Z06 weighs 3147lbs. It is roughly 10% heavier. This is no Z06.

Yeah...I would have liked to see the Z06 stay light weight and N/A but I am still excited for the 2015.

Either this Z06 or the new Viper will be in my garage come this time next year.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I have had my Evolution for 10 years, and <70k mi on it. It is modded out, and it is a blast. But after having all that time with it, I am just feeling "meh" about it anymore. Not really bored, but not really excited about it. I was looking at a newer car just for some fresh blood, an updated interior, and better MPGs, and the 15 WRX seems to be the closest match to my Evo 8 as far as look and feel, not to mention I kind of just want to try out a different car maker as odd as that sounds.

I test drove the Evo X on 2 separate occasions now and just didn't like it. I didn't like the steering wheel, seats, interior, and "size/weight"-feel of the car. Granted I was able to tell at the bleeding edge it could probably outhandle my modded Evo, but everywhere until that point just felt more tame I guess. It certainly felt much-much heavier than my Evo and that was a big let down, plus the transmission felt really poor in comparison as well. The interior felt really meh and dated, and there are plenty of nightmares about problems with the car outside of it's powertrain (which is excellent in reliability). I don't want to deal with flimsy Mitsu build and finish quality, and while Subaru's paint isn't great, it's better than Mitsu's, that's for sure.

Overall in scope of things I don't think Mitsu's asking price reflects the performance anymore. In fact, the new STI really doesn't hit that as well. At one time EVOs/STIs were a bar above so many cars in performance. Now a days, they don't command that edge anymore and there are many cars near their price range that can match, or surpass their performance for the money. They're still great cars, especially if you live in a shitty state like I do where we have horrible winters, they just don't have that "wow" factor per dollar like they did in the past.

So I'm hoping I like the new WRX because it would still be a fun everyday car to me, and they are seemingly getting great MPGs to boot. I'm going to be doing quite a bit more driving daily soon here between work, school, and clinicals that I have to do in this program so the updated interior and better MPGs will be helpful. Plus, I'm at the point now where I would get this car, pay it off in 2 years, and then start going after a car and experience I lusted for years, an Ariel Atom.

As far as if you're looking for something new I assume, at this point I would probably go with 15 STI over a 15 Evo, and that's because the 15 STI seems to be more of a successor to the Evo 7/8/9 than the Evo X does in feel and performance (aka driving feel/experience). Plus even though Subaru's interior isn't "luxury" by any stretch, it's vastly superior to the Mitsu's in fit, feel, and finish.

Sorry for the long response, probably more than you wanted to read lol. If you have any questions about the 8/9/10 let me know. I know the cars inside and out pretty well, what you can expect out of them, and what mods to go for first and such.

thank you.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A little bit! HA! The C6 Z06 weighs 3147lbs. It is roughly 10% heavier. This is no Z06.

This is one of the stiffest chassis' in production across in manufacturer right now, one of the best handling cars in the world by far. Notice the convertible barely weighs more? Normally, they pick up an additional 200lbs for structural reinforcement. This Z06 will absolutely shit on the old one and even the ZR1, because the standard Stingray is already quicker around the track than a Z06.

That's how good it handles.

asdad123

Yeah, seems like if you don't mind messing with some wires, you might be able to fix it without having to buy the whole part. Hopefully that does it for him. I have to agree with the person in the article, it's really bad design to put that underneath your feet.

In fact, one car I had in the past had a major leak in the trunk, and that water would roll to the front of the car if I parked on a hill. If that car had wires down there, I would have had an even bigger problem on my hands.

EDIT: A good idea: If you want to replace the whole part, try hitting up a local junk yard and see if you can lift one from a car from there that doesn't have signs of water damage. It's an option instead of shelling $400 or whatever the hell VW will charge for the part.

We took it apart this morning and holy crap it's a mess down there. Some of the wires literally snapped in half while taking it out.

Good thing is the actual module is in good shape and there's no corrosion on the board. We started connecting the snapped wires and then put it back together. Car wouldn't start. Searched through them again and found one more wire and put that together and turned on Ni problem.

Turns out that the cable which is in charge of the interior lights, locks, and doors is actually 5 cables that come together into one and the 5 are so short that it's practically impossible to connect it to the one going to the CCM using the connectors. I tried, and it seems like only one wire made a connection as the dome lights now work but the other stuff doesn't.

We'll go at it again another week and I'll solder more cable onto the 5 original ones so it's easier to connect to the CCM cable. That's definitely the problem though as I've read that cable controls at other all those things.

We're just glad we were able to get the car to start again after about an hour. The snapped cable was hidden lol.

Bandit1

The dash is still missing a lot of pieces like the radio as you can see in the dash after pic. There is some stuff that I'm already looking to replace such as the shift knob that the previous owner put on. Maybe even replace the clear corner lights with amber ones.

Nice, the dash looks MUCH better! So you're taking off that Hurst t-handle huh? I guess maybe it doesn't exactly go with the Celica though.

MilkBeard

We'll go at it again another week and I'll solder more cable onto the 5 original ones so it's easier to connect to the CCM cable. That's definitely the problem though as I've read that cable controls at other all those things.

We're just glad we were able to get the car to start again after about an hour. The snapped cable was hidden lol.

It's good that you found the source of the issue and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Chiester

Nice, the dash looks MUCH better! So you're taking off that Hurst t-handle huh? I guess maybe it doesn't exactly go with the Celica though.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to swap it for an oem one. I will miss the ability to rest my arm comfortably on it though.

N-Bomb

Looking for sedan recommendations for a daily driver around the 35k range.

I know the following vary but I'm debating between:

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

Is there anything else out there I should be considering ? Maybe the Mazda 6?

WRX, WRX, WRX. Save some money, have some fun. The TLX and Volvo are for retirees.

Got the celica back from paint and upholstery. Now that it's back there is some wiring issues that I want to try to fix with my dad.

Beauty car. How much did the paint and upholstery run you?

------------

Getting tired of my rear tires rubbing. Can't wait to get this thing resprayed and fixed up. Going in for another quote on tuesday.

nayrac

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

Not the A3. S-tronic (DSG) is great when driving aggressively or on the highway but incredibly jerky in stop and go traffic. It's worse with the diesel. For reasons I don't understand, the engine breaking is more pronounced. Reliability is also a concern. My 2013 was covered under lemon law. It spent 45 days in the shop in its first year.

When I got rid of the Audi I ran back to Subaru and got an Impreza. No, not a WRX. Yes, I am ashamed.

Chiester

Beauty car. How much did the paint and upholstery run you?

Thanks! Everything was done by one of my dad's long time friends for around 3k. Won't lie I felt kinda nervous going in at this low of a price. But I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the car in person.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Has anyone seen side by side driving impressions of the BMW M235 with RWD and AWD?

The general consensus through Google search is that any BMW with their 'xDrive' buggers up the driving mechanics, however, I haven't seen anyone that specifically drove the M235 with xDrive.

N-Bomb

Has anyone seen side by side driving impressions of the BMW M235 with RWD and AWD?

The general consensus through Google search is that any BMW with their 'xDrive' buggers up the driving mechanics, however, I haven't seen anyone that specifically drove the M235 with xDrive.

One problem is that xDrive uses open diffs and brake application to control torque... I can see this being part of what f's up the dynamics. BMW is too cheap to put LSDs in?

AlphaSnake

McLaren says a proper use of open-diffs using brakes to distribute torque is better than using differentials.

Thus, the McLaren P1.

If McLaren says it, then it is so.

AlphaSnake

^^ Oh, yepper.

E-diffs like that are beginning to replace LSDs in a lot of applications, aren't they?

There is a substantial difference between E-Diff and open-diff, though. Electronic differentials have a locking mechanism just like a standard differential, the difference is that they don't use fluid to operate. Open diffs, don't. E-diffs tend to be more aggressive and faster, as well, which is why they end up on high performance machines like the F-Type V8S and F-Type R.

The XDrive simply uses open-diffs and allows the brakes to distribute power.

Believe it or not, the new 4Matic Benz AMGs (like the E63) are open-diff cars...

N-Bomb

McLaren says a proper use of open-diffs using brakes to distribute torque is better than using differentials.

Thus, the McLaren P1.

If McLaren says it, then it is so.

How does one of these systems work if 1 wheel (in an RWD config) has 0% traction?

E-diffs like that are beginning to replace LSDs in a lot of applications, aren't they?

I'm sure it is on the mass-market luxury side. Fairly sure Infiniti uses such a system, and I hear those things just tear through pads.

I don't hear anything about its use in world rally though, so I imagine it has little application where traction is actually iffy. (see above question)

-----------

Does anyone know anything about 'glow plug removal tools' for Mercedes diesels/where I would buy one?

AlphaSnake

How does one of these systems work if 1 wheel (in an RWD config) has 0% traction?

When you're dealing with as much technology as the P1 packs, it's doing it all in a way you'll never notice. How it does it is not something McLaren will ever give away. The basics of it is likely a lot of calculation, controlling the electric power output initially, and making sure the brakes are always monitoring excessive wheel spin and torque application.

I'm sure it is on the mass-market luxury side. Fairly sure Infiniti uses such a system, and I hear those things just tear through pads.

Infiniti does not use E-Diffs on their cars. BMW and Jaguar do. Infiniti use traditional viscous diffs or open diffs on lower model cars. Base model Gs get open diffs, sports package gets VLSD. My Infiniti M56S has a VLSD. My Jaguar XF5.0 uses an E-Diff.

N-Bomb

When you're dealing with as much technology as the P1 packs, it's doing it all in a way you'll never notice. How it does it is not something McLaren will ever give away. The basics of it is likely a lot of calculation, controlling the electric power output initially, and making sure the brakes are always monitoring excessive wheel spin and torque application.

I meant conceptually - a normal open diff sends all power to the wheel with the least traction, so I can only imagine that in this case, the brake would clamp down all the way to stop that wheel spinning at all, and causing the other wheel with traction to spin. I could see this causing some weird motion dynamics though, which is where my knowledge on the subject breaks down.

Infiniti does not use E-Diffs on their cars. BMW and Jaguar do. Infiniti use traditional viscous diffs or open diffs on lower model cars. Base model Gs get open diffs, sports package gets VLSD. My Infiniti M56S has a VLSD. My Jaguar XF5.0 uses an E-Diff.

Sorry, I may have confused this with their yaw control or w/e it is.

AlphaSnake

I meant conceptually - a normal open diff sends all power to the wheel with the least traction, so I can only imagine that in this case, the brake would clamp down all the way to stop that wheel spinning at all, and causing the other wheel with traction to spin. I could see this causing some weird motion dynamics though, which is where my knowledge on the subject breaks down.

Sorry, I may have confused this with their yaw control or w/e it is.

That's not how McLaren does it though. It doesn't just clamp on the brake. The entire process is seamless. It's what makes the car the fastest around a track.

billeh

1. Subaru WRX
2. Audi A3
3. Acura TLX
4. Volvo S60

If you're going to spend 35k on a WRX, might as well spend a little more for the STI. I haven't personally driven the WRX, but from what i'm told the STI is a much stiffer ride all around. Also, for 2015 the WRX is using their newer engine while the STI is still rocking the EJ25+uel headers (for some this is a negative, but alas, dat purr).

I may be slightly biased since I just bought a new 15 STI, but the car is an absolute blast to drive. The interior is apparently 'bare bones' by most people's standard, but that kind of fits in with the raw-ness factor of the WRX/STI line.

J-Rzez

If you're going to spend 35k on a WRX, might as well spend a little more for the STI. I haven't personally driven the WRX, but from what i'm told the STI is a much stiffer ride all around. Also, for 2015 the WRX is using their newer engine while the STI is still rocking the EJ25+uel headers (for some this is a negative, but alas, dat purr).

I may be slightly biased since I just bought a new 15 STI, but the car is an absolute blast to drive. The interior is apparently 'bare bones' by most people's standard, but that kind of fits in with the raw-ness factor of the WRX/STI line.

It's going to be like the past where the STI is stiffer all around the chassis. Though for the 15's that difference is much less. You do get all the nifty diffs though which is one thing I'd miss. I almost bought the STI but I read too many reports and saw work orders for ring land issues with the 15 sti and decided I want nothing to do with that not to mention I know people personally who dealt with it in the past as well. The FA20DIT is turning out to be heavily detuned from the factory though probably not to step on the sti toes. And it's getting shockingly good mpgs to boot. I suspect Subaru wanted to clear out their ej25 stock and like usual in 2-3 years you'll see a FA varient in the STI, possibly with an electric turbo.

The interior is fine on the new wrx and sti. It's not euro luxury but to me it's premium.

Finally talking about using braking for rotation and such, even Subaru uses brake vectoring on these cars now.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It's going to be like the past where the STI is stiffer all around the chassis. Though for the 15's that difference is much less. You do get all the nifty diffs and though which is one thing I'd miss. I almost bought the STI but I read too many reports and saw work orders for ring land issues with the 15 sti and decided I want nothing to do with that not to mention I know people personally who dealt with it in the past as well. The FA20DIT is turning out to be heavily detuned from the factory though probably not to step on the sti toes. And it's getting shockingly good mpgs to boot. I suspect Subaru wanted to clear out their ej25 stock and like usual in 2-3 years you'll see a FA varient in the STI, possibly with an electric turbo.

The interior is fine on the new wrx and sti. It's not euro luxury but to me it's premium.

Finally talking about using braking for rotation and such, even Subaru uses brake hectoring on these cars now.

Anyone releasing canned tunes for the FA20DIT?

Also, it's such a tragedy the STI is sticking with the ej25. It is the reason why I am not considering the STI in it's current form.

J-Rzez

Anyone releasing canned tunes for the FA20DIT?

Also, it's such a tragedy the STI is sticking with the ej25. It is the reason why I am not considering the STI in it's current form.

Cobb has their AP with some OTS tunes. ECUtek has some coming from people like Mishimoto for their parts.

Here's an example for just an intake and preliminary tune:
2015 Subaru WRX 6 Speed Manual
Stock Vehicle: 210.47 whp
Mishimoto Intake, 91 Octane, Tune: 249.58 whp
Mishimoto Intake, 93 Octane, Tune: 282.76 whp

Honestly, I'm not new to tuning cars. But an intake plus tune putting out THAT much power is crazy. They claim they have some good numbers on their downpipe solution too. If true, the WRX was heavily gimped by Subaru, heavily. STI owners are pissed and or down that Subaru did this. They need to realize they got some goodies that are better supported for track usage out of the box. If anything, I'd be upset that they have to contend with ringland hell again.

I'll be watching independent testers to confirm these power gains. That's too much for me to believe. I mean, sure, maybe possible never know. But I'm skeptical. One independent tester is getting 312awhp with a stg2 tune with a j-pipe on a mustang dyno. I need more tests lol.

All in all, i'm happy I'm going with the WRX instead. A few basic suspension mods and I'll be happy where it's at.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wow those gains are impressive. Especially for the 93 octane. Never figured it would make that much of a difference.

So are you going to pick one up after the dust settles a bit?

So the flexplate bolts decided to work their way out on my minivan the week that I am putting in a new clutch in my Impreza.

damnit if I had only known someone put a turbo transmission in before all this then I would have been done already!

TransTrender

Gold Member
So the flexplate bolts decided to work their way out on my minivan the week that I am putting in a new clutch in my Impreza.

damnit if I had only known someone put a turbo transmission in before all this then I would have been done already!

Got to wonder what else has been changed...

Got to wonder what else has been changed...

I have been up and down my little RS at this point and I am not seeing anything different, minus internal engine. still has the LSD rear Diff ect..

well ok in this case it was an upgrade I am referring to, cause someone put a nice expensive transmission that costs more than the purchase of the car.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I have been up and down my little RS at this point and I am not seeing anything different, minus internal engine. still has the LSD rear Diff ect..

Do you know if the frame is straight, either through measurements or tearing down to the frame?

Lots of this crap goes unreported on cool/niche cars.

J-Rzez

Wow those gains are impressive. Especially for the 93 octane. Never figured it would make that much of a difference.

So are you going to pick one up after the dust settles a bit?

We'll see. I was hoping to get to the car this week, but it's looking like next week i'll be heading to the dealership now because I couldn't get anyone to switch shifts with me and I have yet to clear out my car. My plans are probably an axle-back (for some sound) and maybe the intake (the power would be nice, it's safe AFRs, and looks/sounds good) until I see long term how these motors hold up. Then it'll be game on with the mods, like hopefully a Cobb AP, j-pipe, etc.

There has to be a weak point somewhere, if not, well, awesome lol.

MisterNoisy

While I was in the dealership for maintenance on my Genesis Coupe, they made a crazy offer (damn near full retail) on it for their used lot. After talking a bit with them, I rolled out of there in a '14 Veloster Turbo R-Spec. The GC was a ton of fun, but the drawbacks (ride, cargo flexibility, etc.) were starting to wear on me after 3+ years and there's nowhere to really wind out that car safely around here - I must be getting old.

Pics:

HOMPK8c.jpg

UioZJhP.jpg

N-Bomb

Wat... by turbo, you mean the 6MT?

While I was in the dealership for maintenance on my Genesis Coupe, they made a crazy offer (damn near full retail) on it for their used lot. After talking a bit with them, I rolled out of there in a '14 Veloster Turbo R-Spec. The GC was a ton of fun, but the drawbacks (ride, cargo flexibility, etc.) were starting to wear on me after 3+ years and there's nowhere to really wind out that car safely around here - I must be getting old.

Congrats. That sounds like a hell of a deal.

TylerD

Congrats NLFFWD! Though, that ///M and 5 aren't 100 percent level :p

Can't wait to see some more pics and hear more details.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I changed my three car lineup.

1. Me driving alone - Still Ariel Atom, but I would dress like Charlie Sheen in The Wraith. Which makes me think of Vector Twin Turbo.
2. Chauffeured ride - VW Phaeton, just to be weird.
3. Practical outdoors - Toyota FJ whatever that special edition was. I saw twelve FJs on my ride home and I took it as a sign. Even bought a lottery ticket.

N-Bomb

I changed my three car lineup.

1. Me driving alone - Still Ariel Atom, but I would dress like Charlie Sheen in The Wraith. Which makes me think of Vector Twin Turbo.
2. Chauffeured ride - VW Phaeton, just to be weird.
3. Practical outdoors - Toyota FJ whatever that special edition was. I saw twelve FJs on my ride home and I took it as a sign. Even bought a lottery ticket.

I've been tempted to change my #1 to an Exige, but I'm unsure if they come with A/C and audio.

Top Bottom