• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I changed my three car lineup.

1. Me driving alone - Still Ariel Atom, but I would dress like Charlie Sheen in The Wraith. Which makes me think of Vector Twin Turbo.
2. Chauffeured ride - VW Phaeton, just to be weird.
3. Practical outdoors - Toyota FJ whatever that special edition was. I saw twelve FJs on my ride home and I took it as a sign. Even bought a lottery ticket.

FJ as in classic land cruiser? or The Newer Toyota FJ?

rokkerkory

I changed my three car lineup.

1. Me driving alone - Still Ariel Atom, but I would dress like Charlie Sheen in The Wraith. Which makes me think of Vector Twin Turbo.
2. Chauffeured ride - VW Phaeton, just to be weird.
3. Practical outdoors - Toyota FJ whatever that special edition was. I saw twelve FJs on my ride home and I took it as a sign. Even bought a lottery ticket.

Interesting... Here's mines:

1. Alone or with gf: 650s spyder
2. Family sedan: CLS63 amg
3. Suv: Macan Turbo S
4. DD: F80 M3
5. Track: 997.2 GT3

One can dream.

TransTrender

Gold Member
While I was in the dealership for maintenance on my Genesis Coupe, they made a crazy offer (damn near full retail) on it for their used lot. After talking a bit with them, I rolled out of there in a '14 Veloster Turbo R-Spec. The GC was a ton of fun, but the drawbacks (ride, cargo flexibility, etc.) were starting to wear on me after 3+ years and there's nowhere to really wind out that car safely around here - I must be getting old.

Damn. Crazy deal.
Looks hawt.

MilkBeard

While I was in the dealership for maintenance on my Genesis Coupe, they made a crazy offer (damn near full retail) on it for their used lot. After talking a bit with them, I rolled out of there in a '14 Veloster Turbo R-Spec. The GC was a ton of fun, but the drawbacks (ride, cargo flexibility, etc.) were starting to wear on me after 3+ years and there's nowhere to really wind out that car safely around here - I must be getting old.

Pics:

HOMPK8c.jpg

UioZJhP.jpg

Nice, always liked the look of it. How does it drive?

MisterNoisy

^congrats and good luck with it.

i really like the look of the veloster

Congrats. That sounds like a hell of a deal.

Damn. Crazy deal.
Looks hawt.

Nice, always liked the look of it. How does it drive?

Thanks everyone! It may not be 'enthusiast' machinery, but I dig it, not least because it looks weird as hell.

It's got the super-light electric power steering (has anyone managed to make that feel like a proper rack?), but other than that, it drives perfectly well for what it is - a lightly boosted commuter car that just happens to look like a running shoe with wheels. I've seen reviews that criticize it for a firm ride, but coming from my GC, it's a goddamned magic carpet. The engine note is way too muted - I'd like more noise from under the hood and the exhaust.

Super comfortable seats and generally good ergos and switchgear. Great infotainment setup and decent connectivity. Slick shifter - the R-Spec gets a shorter-throw unit with a huge metal knob that falls right to hand, super-tight horizontal spacing between the gears and a lockout collar for reverse. Visibility to the rear and rear quarters is as bad as you'd think from looking at it, though at least you get a rearview camera to help when reversing.

Plenty of power through most of the tach, but it's definitely not a 'hot hatch' like the Fiesta/Focus ST or GTI, despite the extroverted styling, but this is the first car I've driven in a long while where the revs don't 'hang' when you lift the gas. Currently, I'm getting about 26MPG in city driving - no long freeway jaunts yet, but I'll find an excuse, I'm sure. I haven't driven it hard enough to test out the torque vectoring setup or anything like that yet, but I'm definitely not expecting GTI-like composure - there's just a bit too much wiggle somewhere between the tires and the seats, like it's asking you if you really meant to hit that turn that fast - it hangs on, but it's not totally comfortable doing so.

MisterNoisy

Can you elaborate on this? I feel like I almost know what you mean, but based on the cars I've had, I'm not sure.

In the GC, I had to get to about 3000-3500 RPM before it really 'came to life'. In this car, the engine perks up right around 1500 RPM (basically just off idle), and pulls pretty hard (for what it is - power levels are still way down compared to the GC) all the way up from there - I can finally see what all the turbo fans are talking about when they sing the praises of small turbos combined with modern engine management.

Zoolader

Subaru is teasing the new WRX S4 on their Japanese website with a countdown. According to autoblog the name stands for 4 qualities... 'Sports performance', 'Safety performance', 'Smart driving' and 'Sophisticated feel.'

I wonder if Audi will react to this, not only because of the name but also the font is almost identical.

ane9ubyq.jpg

Brought home something special last night:

10612996_10152656098923664_5325815192668988696_n.jpg

Niiiiiiice. Give us more details!

N-Bomb

In the GC, I had to get to about 3000-3500 RPM before it really 'came to life'. In this car, the engine perks up right around 1500 RPM (basically just off idle), and pulls pretty hard (for what it is - power levels are still way down compared to the GC) all the way up from there - I can finally see what all the turbo fans are talking about when they sing the praises of small turbos combined with modern engine management.

Ugh, sorry... although I appreciate that explanation, looks like my copy/paste got cut off!

This is what I meant to ask about:

"but this is the first car I've driven in a long while where the revs don't 'hang' when you lift the gas."

Bet that makes a lot more sense now, too :)

MisterNoisy

Ugh, sorry... although I appreciate that explanation, looks like my copy/paste got cut off!

This is what I meant to ask about:

"but this is the first car I've driven in a long while where the revs don't 'hang' when you lift the gas."

Bet that makes a lot more sense now, too :)

Hah - fair enough. :)

In the last few cars I've owned/driven, when you lift off the gas, it takes forever (really at most a couple of seconds, but it feels like ages when you're hustling - the GC was the worst offender in my recent experience) for the engine to return to idle speeds, particularly if you do it from load, almost as if the flywheel was super heavy. The 'common wisdom' is that the engine management system in many newer cars prevents the abrupt drop in revs to ensure that there's a minimum of unburned fuel making it's way through the tailpipe, but either way, it feels artificial and clumsy. Drivers of automatic trans cars would never notice it because the torque converter eats all that shit, but it's a pain in the ass when you're doing the shifting yourself - you're upshifting from 6K into what should be 4.5K in the next gear up, but the engine is still at 5K when you drop the clutch back down so it feels rough unless you slow everything down to accommodate it.

By contrast, the Veloster just falls right back to idle when you get off the gas, and (to me at least) it's somewhat refreshing. I don't have to slow down my shifting to account for the delay in throttle response.

EDIT: Today, my car asked me if I would like it to read a newly-received text message to me. Magical times, to be sure.

So in case I do trade it in tomorrow I had my buddy take a quick and dirty phone video of my car doing a drive by for the memories. I lost the video of my old car so I wanted to keep this one somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31MMUydqWU#t=29

HAWT. You sure about trading it in?

N-Bomb

So in case I do trade it in tomorrow I had my buddy take a quick and dirty phone video of my car doing a drive by for the memories. I lost the video of my old car so I wanted to keep this one somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31MMUydqWU#t=29

Heh, the only thing I got out of that is that you have a venting BOV.

In the last few cars I've owned/driven, when you lift off the gas, it takes forever for the engine to return to idle speeds, particularly if you do it from load, almost as if the flywheel was super heavy.

By contrast, the Veloster just falls right back to idle when you get off the gas, and (to me at least) it's somewhat refreshing. I don't have to slow down my shifting to account for the delay in throttle response.

Ahh, okay, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. This is definitely an engine management thing? My car does this, and I've been thinking of getting a CF drive-shaft and maybe a lighter flywheel to counteract it. I can definitely shift faster than it lets me, currently, and it IS annoying sometimes.

MisterNoisy

Ahh, okay, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. This is definitely an engine management thing? My car does this, and I've been thinking of getting a CF drive-shaft and maybe a lighter flywheel to counteract it. I can definitely shift faster than it lets me, currently, and it IS annoying sometimes.

That's what I've read, but I couldn't say for sure. Never screwed around much with modding.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

In the last few cars I've owned/driven, when you lift off the gas, it takes forever (really at most a couple of seconds, but it feels like ages when you're hustling - the GC was the worst offender in my recent experience) for the engine to return to idle speeds, particularly if you do it from load, almost as if the flywheel was super heavy. The 'common wisdom' is that the engine management system in many newer cars prevents the abrupt drop in revs to ensure that there's a minimum of unburned fuel making it's way through the tailpipe, but either way, it feels artificial and clumsy. Drivers of automatic trans cars would never notice it because the torque converter eats all that shit, but it's a pain in the ass when you're doing the shifting yourself - you're upshifting from 6K into what should be 4.5K in the next gear up, but the engine is still at 5K when you drop the clutch back down so it feels rough unless you slow everything down to accommodate it.

My 370Z had a really annoying 1-2 shift where I had to shift slower than I would've cared to. It's not exactly about engine management or flywheel weight - there are a number of factors, on top of those mentioned. Another one being the kind of clutch and flywheel used (dual mass or not), and the most important, gearing ratio. Usually the closer the gears, the faster you can shift without an uncomfortable jolt in between as the revs need to drop less between every gear, allowing you to shift faster, as opposed to slower.

The 370Z for example, had a pretty wide spread 1st-2nd gear difference - the car will hit 62MPH in 2nd gear. And then 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th are all pretty close, so shifts past 2nd were extremely smooth no matter how fast you shifted. So really do pay attention to the gearing of a transmission.

I definitely noticed the same thing in my friend's 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec that you had to be careful with the shifts, avoid popping the clutch after a shift, allow it a tiny bit of slip, so I know what you're describing.

J-Rzez

HAWT. You sure about trading it in?

Yeah. Kinda. The issue I have is that I had it for 10 years now. I'm bored with it. Would like something with at least a more modern interior than what I have now. Something with better MPGs but still fun. And something that's new so it should be more reliable. I'm creeping up on the big maintence items on the Evo now and it's going to get costly. Timing belt, brakes, full fluid changes, the paint/body/interior has seen better days. If I pull the trigger today, i'll miss it for sure, but it's time I think to move on. Best car (most fun) that I've ever drove. The main parts and experiences were just, perfect, to me. I don't think I'll ever find a car that feels like this one again, I have to let it go on that.

So my plan is to get that and use it daily for work and school, and then start saving up for an Ariel Atom, as that would probably be the ultimate pure driving experience I'm looking for.

It's actually 90/10. 90 recirculating, 10 vta. Even when 100 recirculating it was loud. When set to 100 vta, the thing was disgusting, louder than air brakes on a truck/bus.

I'm going to miss that exhaust sound though.

mkenyon

Banned
My 370Z had a really annoying 1-2 shift where I had to shift slower than I would've cared to. It's not exactly about engine management or flywheel weight - there are a number of factors, on top of those mentioned. Another one being the kind of clutch and flywheel used (dual mass or not), and the most important, gearing ratio. Usually the closer the gears, the faster you can shift without an uncomfortable jolt in between as the revs need to drop less between every gear, allowing you to shift faster, as opposed to slower.

The 370Z for example, had a pretty wide spread 1st-2nd gear difference - the car will hit 62MPH in 2nd gear. And then 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th are all pretty close, so shifts past 2nd were extremely smooth no matter how fast you shifted. So really do pay attention to the gearing of a transmission.

I definitely noticed the same thing in my friend's 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec that you had to be careful with the shifts, avoid popping the clutch after a shift, allow it a tiny bit of slip, so I know what you're describing.
FWIW, stiffer engine and transmission mounts fixed this issue in my 2004 WRX. I went from having to wait a moment while everything was torqued, to being able to just jam it in there with no play.

1-2 was always the hardest, I figured it was a case of the gear ratio having some sort of heavier mechanical affect on the drivetrain.

Ty4on

That fucking second gear. I think the 370Z (and many other sports cars) suffer from a high second gear in order to brag about a faster 0-62 time and in other cars it can be the fuel economy cycle. The Euro cycle for example specify exact gears used which makes no sense.

Rev hang I think is the term for it and I've wondered what causes it ever I first encountered it. New diesels face strict emission requirements so keeping unburned fuel out of the system makes sense, but it varies a lot between otherwise similar engines. I drove an A200 CDI this summer which had an engine I really liked apart from the massive rev hang. I accelerate quite leisurely, but waiting for the engine to drop from 2k to 1k when shifting to second felt like an eternity. Accelerating faster in heavy traffic was a chore with that huge time between the gears. It did make it near impossible for the revs to drop too much from fifth to sixth so it wasn't all bad and the engine was very usable near idle speeds at low load which helped around town.

What I don't understand is that the VW TDI (CAYC) that I've driven are much better in this respect and they were with a five speed that has a massive gap between first and second. Fifth is almost as high as sixth in that Mercedes and I'm pretty sure both have DMFs.
And who the fucks idea was a part that hides vibrations and is apparently killed by those same vibrations? -_-

AlphaSnake

FWIW, stiffer engine and transmission mounts fixed this issue in my 2004 WRX. I went from having to wait a moment while everything was torqued, to being able to just jam it in there with no play.

1-2 was always the hardest, I figured it was a case of the gear ratio having some sort of heavier mechanical affect on the drivetrain.

There are a multitude of engineering facets that could fix jerky shifts, and mounts are one of them. Audi uses excessive dampening on their flywheels and clutches, which kills clutch and shifter-throw feel, for example (imo, Audi's have some of the shittiest, unsporty MTs money can buy). BMW uses firmer bushings and mounts, which enhances clutch and shifter feel, but increases firmness in the chassis, allows some unpleasant noise and feedback into the cabin, but also makes the car handle better. It's all compromises.

Japanese manufacturers typically mix a bit of both in. So in the case of the 370Z, you had a rather rough 1-2 shift, but all others felt fine. And yet you had an extremely compliant ride. Amazing steering feel. Great nose precision. Solid clutch weight, albeit with a rather cumbersome on/off slip point that doesn't make it a newb friendly MT.

And I agree with T4yon. The gearing is definitely a 0-60 numbers game for a lot of manufacturers. Now, almost all ATs and DCTs will hit 60 in 3rd gear, because you no longer have to worry about losing time during shifts.

Ty4on

Kudos for the info. I rarely (as in never) get the chance to drive German saloons, but it is nice to see what cause what. I never think of transmissions being damped.

My parents' golf I would assume has a very "damped" flywheel because it is very easy to kill while older diesels I've driven shake like hell before they die.

AlphaSnake

GM has sold 37,000+ 2014 Stingrays?

That seems like...a lot?

I'm glad I'm not the only who noticed that.

There's no question I'm seeing a lot of them on the road...but 34000?! That's a dickload. I suppose it's a global figure, though.

ascii42

There's no question I'm seeing a lot of them on the road...but 34000?! That's a dickload. I suppose it's a global figure, though.

That's a good point, I'm sure GM has sold literally dozens of them outside of the US.

A lot of car companies do strange things with their engine management during off-throttle and shifting. Specifically, Porsche and BMW delay throttle inputs when the clutch is depressed because most drivers suck at shifting and rev too hard as they slip the clutch in and out.

Even my '82 911 had an off-rev air bypass to slow down rev drop to idle because without it the revs drop faster than most people can shift. This kind of management to deal with dopey drivers has been around for quite a while.

Emissions are a new spin, and some cars I've driven are horrible for it, over-revving off throttle to a ridiculous degree. Just backfire, it's so much cooler.

Reven

Gorgeous M5. Things are appreciating like crazy. I wish I had bought one last summer when I had the chance.

My most wanted BMWs would be a E39 M5 and a manual swapped E38 7 Series like in The Transporter.

TomServo

That's awesome. I love visiting Laguna Seca. Easily my favorite track. You don't realize how big the elevation changes are until you see it in person. Forza and Gran Turismo don't do that aspect much justice.

As an east coaster, Laguna Seca is a bucket list track. I may end up renting a couple of race cars for a weekend with SCCA in the next few years. My father and I race vintage sports cars together and I'd like to do it before he gets too old to drive.

I know what you mean about elevation changes. Road Atlanta is the same way - going through the esses, over and down the hill, etc... all of that looks tame in games or on a GoPro, but when you're in the car... The first lap I ever did at speed at Road Atlanta I ended up flying down the club put entrance because I got lost cresting the hill!

GM has sold 37,000+ 2014 Stingrays?

That seems like...a lot?

Looked up the numbers, that sounds accurate. As of Jul 31st, I see about 36,000 2014s manufactured with about 6000 of those still in the inventory. Should have cleared those out in Aug, along with any more made in Aug.

About 100 MY15s already manufactured, they should be ramping that up soon.

N-Bomb

2003 BMW M5

Female-owned for 11 years, all maintenance records. Interior 10/10, Exterior 10/10

She's a beaut. Super congrats - is it your dream car, or just an opportunity?

---------------

Tagged my tuner to see if he knows anything about this rev hang. Eagerly awaiting what he has to say - I don't want to spend $1000 on a CF driveshaft if it's a matter of just tuning... although I do want to spend $1000 on a CF driveshaft at some point. >.>

AlphaSnake

Looked up the numbers, that sounds accurate. As of Jul 31st, I see about 36,000 2014s manufactured with about 6000 of those still in the inventory. Should have cleared those out in Aug, along with any more made in Aug.

About 100 MY15s already manufactured, they should be ramping that up soon.

Do you work for GM or manage a dealer network?

TylerD

Nope, analyst working with warranty data. Have access to the numbers to calculate failure rates and other metrics.

I was trying to find data on how many 2014 4Runners have been sold. They are freaking everywhere here in Lubbock. A nurse that I went on a couple of dates with had a 2014 SR5 trail that was pretty slick.

Bandit1

Subaru is teasing the new WRX S4 on their Japanese website with a countdown. According to autoblog the name stands for 4 qualities... 'Sports performance', 'Safety performance', 'Smart driving' and 'Sophisticated feel.'

I wonder if Audi will react to this, not only because of the name but also the font is almost identical.

ane9ubyq.jpg

Yeah... Maybe should have called it a 4S.

You sure it wasn't just doing a sick burnout?

ilEVyBaU7onLh.gif

That's an awesome gif!

2003 BMW M5

Female-owned for 11 years, all maintenance records. Interior 10/10, Exterior 10/10

n3zvw6n.jpg

SGsKe1L.jpg

ar9kFth.jpg

jNVXLKB.jpg

wZg6nM1.jpg

Beautiful car. Looks like it has been taken care of. Enjoy!

Oh fuckkkk

That's lower than I thought

Edit: thinking some more holy fuck at 80k for that kind of performance

Yeah, so it should outrun and out handle the C6 ZR1 right? And at $20k less...

AlphaSnake

Nope, analyst working with warranty data. Have access to the numbers to calculate failure rates and other metrics.

Hah...I'll make sure to come to you when I have questions about reliability of models that I'm shopping for.

I was trying to find data on how many 2014 4Runners have been sold. They are freaking everywhere here in Lubbock. A nurse that I went on a couple of dates with had a 2014 SR5 trail that was pretty slick.

Numbers not directly from OEM (and I don't have a Model Year break down) but I see a 20% YOY increase from last year.

Jul 12 - Jun 13 : ~50,000
Jul 13 - Jun 14 : ~60,000

Hah...I'll make sure to come to you when I have questions about reliability of models that I'm shopping for.

lol. Unfortunately, I don't see too much JLR data. (And if I comment on BMW, their Ninjas know where I work.)

AlphaSnake

Numbers not directly from OEM (and I don't have a Model Year break down) but I see a 20% YOY increase from last year.

Jul 12 - Jun 13 : ~50,000
Jul 13 - Jun 14 : ~60,000

lol. Unfortunately, I don't see too much JLR data. (And if I comment on BMW, their Ninjas know where I work.)

vat? der izt notting wrong wit our auftomobiles.

FIND HIM AND EXECUTE

J-Rzez

So I pulled the trigger on the WRX. I guess I fell into the "one of us, one of us" clans. While the car feels great both handling and interior wise (remember people what I came from interior wise), I did feel bad leaving my Evo behind. It was a great cars, tons of memories...

Oh well. No pics yet because I told them not to recon the car, i'll do it myself. And, of course, it's raining.

Premium model for 28,083 before tax/tags.

Came home, ordered just shy of $1000 of parts... lol@me.

Just for GM products or all? Was curious if you had any data on 2015 WRX/STI yet considering how hard they are to find, and the place I bought the car from said they're not ordered through Dec.

Top Bottom