• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Scoobert

How do you like the WRX? Still have my STi due in September. Still not 100% I'll pull the trigger but I'm getting a GREAT price on it so we shall see. I love seeing pics, post when you got them and what aftermarket stuff did you get?

Obviously where you live is a factor on what is out there and I've spoken to a lot of dealers. They all say the same thing, very rare. Definitely not the case here, you can find 10 to 20 WRX/STI's on a lot of dealer lots.

Oh and what color? Lol.

Just for GM products or all? Was curious if you had any data on 2015 WRX/STI yet considering how hard they are to find, and the place I bought the car from said they're not ordered through Dec.

I don't work with Subaru data at all, so have very little information.

In general, Impreza/WRX combined have had a 10% sales bump. WRX, X3 and Range Rovers seem to have the lowest inventories.

In other numbers

BRZ/FR-S - 58,000 sold in NA total.
F-Type - 3900 sold in NA total.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't work with Subaru data at all, so have very little information.

In general, Impreza/WRX combined have had a 10% sales bump. WRX, X3 and Range Rovers seem to have the lowest inventories.

In other numbers

BRZ/FR-S - 58,000 sold in NA total.
F-Type - 3900 sold in NA total.

There's a number of F-Type's in my area. But one particular F-Type R in Italian Racing Red. It's a darker and more glossy shade of red, unlike your typical other shades. And every time I see it, I just clench my heart.

jaguar-f-type-automatic.jpg

jaguar-f-type-r-coupe-c268330052014181719_5.jpg

Hnnnnngggg

MisterNoisy

So I pulled the trigger on the WRX. I guess I fell into the "one of us, one of us" clans. While the car feels great both handling and interior wise (remember people what I came from interior wise), I did feel bad leaving my Evo behind. It was a great cars, tons of memories...

Oh well. No pics yet because I told them not to recon the car, i'll do it myself. And, of course, it's raining.

Premium model for 28,083 before tax/tags.

Came home, ordered just shy of $1000 of parts... lol@me.

Congrats! What parts?

Snakepit

Went to the Mercedes-Benz dealership yesterday just to look
lord knows I can't afford one
but I looked at the new C classes and CLA they had, but to be honest I don't like the new style that Mercedes is going with with the overall look of the cars.

I think I would even put Lexus and BMW over Mercedes just based on looks.

I saw an M6 and that just a damn beautiful car

AlphaSnake

BMW had that look first.

Terribly ugly in my opinion.

Uhhh...what?

One is low, sleek super car.

The other is an ugly lifted faux-SUV.

How are the curves of the F-Type remotely similar to a BMW X6? Are you one of those people who just thinks every car looks the same?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Uhhh...what?

How are the curves of the F-Type remotely similar to a BMW X6? Are you one of those people who just thinks every car looks the same?

No, but the instant I saw the rear with the fast-back, large rear end, and those bulbous fenders the X6 was the first thing to pop into my mind. Maybe it was just from the angle the picture is at.

Front end also looks like an Alfa Rameo without the toilet seat grill piece.

It's probably a damn fun car to drive, but it's not something I'd want to see every day. Too each their own.

Also, super car? Maybe the Project-7.

AlphaSnake

No, but the instant I saw the rear with the fast-back, large rear end, and those bulbous fenders the X6 was the first thing to pop into my mind. Maybe it was just from the angle the picture is at.

Front end also looks like an Alfa Rameo without the toilet seat grill piece.

It's probably a damn fun car to drive, but it's not something I'd want to see every day. Too each their own.

Also, super car? Maybe the Project-7.

It grips like a supercar. It handles like a supercar. It looks like a supercar. It drives like a supercar. It goes like a supercar. It sounds like a bear and a lion attacking a camp of illegal poachers.

It's a supercar, breh.

J-Rzez

How do you like the WRX? Still have my STi due in September. Still not 100% I'll pull the trigger but I'm getting a GREAT price on it so we shall see. I love seeing pics, post when you got them and what aftermarket stuff did you get?

Obviously where you live is a factor on what is out there and I've spoken to a lot of dealers. They all say the same thing, very rare. Definitely not the case here, you can find 10 to 20 WRX/STI's on a lot of dealer lots.

Oh and what color? Lol.

WR Blue Pearl of course, as blue is my fav color, WR Blue is Subaru's trademark color, so I had to do it. Love it. Next time I'm off of work I'll be detailing it myself as I told the dealership to not let their people touch it. So they just pulled the plastic and ran it through their touchless wash. Can't wait to see it when I'm all done with the Wolfgang treatment, then i'll get some pics. And it's a manual. I have owned nothing but manual transmission cars since I was 17yrs old.

I'm from PA, so they sell pretty quick here it seems due to our winters and such.

Likes wise, it's a good car thus far. Handles surprisingly flat though I haven't pushed it super hard yet (it had 10mi on it on pick up, and 1000mi is recommended break in). The electric steering isn't as bad as I expected to be, but still prefer hydraulic. Stereo sucks ass. Shifter is pretty damn good, the salesman didn't lie when said they come with the short shifter from the factory here on out, thus the minor price bump. Clutch is super light though. Seats are surprisingly well bolstered and comfy, and i'm 6'2" 235lbs. Coming from basically an 04 Lancer interior, this one feels high-end to me, despite some obvious lesser plastics used in spots. Factory halogen bulbs suck and are fugly, thus they're being replaced immediately. Overall I'm very happy thus far. Can't wait until broken in to see what it's got, and next spring the fun begins with more mods/flashing.

Congrats! What parts?

Thanks. Nameless muffler delete axle-back with 3.5" staggered single wall tips, Rock Blox mudflaps, weather tech floor mats, whiteline rear sway bar, HID kit, and a slew of LED bulbs.

What's nice about the Nameless axle back is that once more proven OTS flashes hit I'll pick up a Cobb and get their J and Mid pipes, which from dyno's i've seen, causes the car to lean out when combined with an intake which I plan to get when they go for sale. I missed that early order by a few days, so got to wait for final release on that mishimoto intake. This way I'll get to see how the motor responds in time and holds up, then for spring I'll do those things as well as some wheels and maybe, maybe a full coil-over kit. We'll see.

MilkBeard

There's a number of F-Type's in my area. But one particular F-Type R in Italian Racing Red. It's a darker and more glossy shade of red, unlike your typical other shades. And every time I see it, I just clench my heart.

jaguar-f-type-automatic.jpg

jaguar-f-type-r-coupe-c268330052014181719_5.jpg

Hnnnnngggg

I'm gonna have to agree with you, that is one beautiful car. There are some nice high end cars that drive around my area, but I haven't had the pleasure of seeing very many of these.

GHG

Uhhh...what?

Don't be hating on mah wheels.

It won't go off-road like your typical SUV but in terms of performance on the road it won't be beaten by much. Perfect day to day car for my uses.

Oh and I like the look of it, good road presence.

Renzoku

Banned
Any chance I could get some used car advice from you guys? I figured this would be the best place to ask

I'm looking at a 04 Accord EX-L, lots of options, no issues on the carfax, and the guy has maintenance records back to 2004. Only thing that's worrying me is that it has 180,000 miles on it. Is that too much? It's going to be a daily driver and I just need it for a basic commute. It's an automatic, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Shapingo

WR Blue Pearl of course, as blue is my fav color, WR Blue is Subaru's trademark color, so I had to do it. Love it. Next time I'm off of work I'll be detailing it myself as I told the dealership to not let their people touch it. So they just pulled the plastic and ran it through their touchless wash. Can't wait to see it when I'm all done with the Wolfgang treatment, then i'll get some pics. And it's a manual. I have owned nothing but manual transmission cars since I was 17yrs old.

I'm from PA, so they sell pretty quick here it seems due to our winters and such.

New Z06 is 79k starting. HNNGGGGGGGGGG

What a perf bargain for money.

Really.....That is amazing

Congrats,

One thing you will hate on the WRX is how the boost dies off after 6000rpms. Break in was hard to do as the car has no real low end power, you are really tempted to go past 4000 rpms. I'm from PA as well, did you go to Ramsey Subaru for your WRX? They were selling for $500 below invoice.

N-Bomb

Today's haul, and hopefully my last haul for a while:

10601793_307211072797079_236817343_n.jpg

Finally found a pair of rear doors in decent shape. Got a rear bumper skin as well. Guy wanted $200 for each door, $200 for the bumper. Got it down to $400 total.

Wish I could've found a set of whites, but... le sigh. Body's almost complete. Just misc things left, now.

Any chance I could get some used car advice from you guys? I figured this would be the best place to ask

I'm looking at a 04 Accord EX-L, lots of options, no issues on the carfax, and the guy has maintenance records back to 2004. Only thing that's worrying me is that it has 180,000 miles on it. Is that too much? It's going to be a daily driver and I just need it for a basic commute. It's an automatic, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Hondas of that era with automatic transmission had some problems. Check to see if the owner did a recall or some sort of transmission work done.

Timing belts aren't a huge problem on the Honda V6's, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if it was done especially at that mileage.

MilkBeard

Thanks!
Sounds fine, although 180k is quite a lot of miles. If you don't mind paying extra money just for the brand name, then it's fine. Otherwise, you could also look at, for example, a Nissan Altima. Almost as reliable as Hondas (if not equally so) for less money.

J-Rzez

Really.....That is amazing

Congrats,

One thing you will hate on the WRX is how the boost dies off after 6000rpms. Break in was hard to do as the car has no real low end power, you are really tempted to go past 4000 rpms. I'm from PA as well, did you go to Ramsey Subaru for your WRX? They were selling for $500 below invoice.

Naw. Got mine from Ciocca in Allentown. They price matched a quote I got from a dealership in Connecticut and were just a tad closer lol.

I'm not really struggling with break in. Haven't swung past the 10psi mark which I hit while revving the engine a little. Break in is key though. Never had a new car yet which burnt oil on me. Even the Evo which is shocking. So it'll be a slow and painful 1000mi light break in, then a couple hard pulls at speed, and then I'll be changing the oil out around 2000mi with amsoil.

Hopefully by then my exhaust is in and I get an intake. I wouldn't mind that mishimoto intake but they aren't sharing tune data with cobb as they're a ecutek tuner. And I'm not a fan of ecutek.

Renzoku

Banned
Hondas of that era with automatic transmission had some problems. Check to see if the owner did a recall or some sort of transmission work done.

Timing belts aren't a huge problem on the Honda V6's, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if it was done especially at that mileage.

Sounds fine, although 180k is quite a lot of miles. If you don't mind paying extra money just for the brand name, then it's fine. Otherwise, you could also look at, for example, a Nissan Altima. Almost as reliable as Hondas (if not equally so) for less money.

I've seen issues about the auto transmissions that worried me a bit, and yeah it's a lot of miles.

We've got some camrys with fewer miles that we'll look at today as well. Thanks for the responses!

Ty4on

I'm not really struggling with break in. Haven't swung past the 10psi mark which I hit while revving the engine a little. Break in is key though. Never had a new car yet which burnt oil on me. Even the Evo which is shocking. So it'll be a slow and painful 1000mi light break in, then a couple hard pulls at speed, and then I'll be changing the oil out around 2000mi with amsoil.

Is the break in important to keep the engine from burning oil? Seems so odd to me how even with similar engines some burn oil at 100,000km (60k miles) while others don't after 400,000km (250k miles). I know proper treatment helps, but I've wondered a lot about break in when evaluating used cars.

N-Bomb

Response from my tuner as to the rev-hang:

"In a Subaru this is normal. It is called throttle over run."

"I looked though the map. The throttle overrun is not defined so I can't tune it out. But I will look into it some more. I will let you know if I find anything."

I guess I'll get a CF driveshaft anyway... next year maybe. :p

ameratsu

That doesn't look nice.

There was a raft of smashed car windows and dented body panels last night. I'm glad it's only my windshield, which I am not too worried about because it's original and was cracked and chipped already. If it had been a rear quarter, it would have been expensive and potentially not worthwhile to fix.

Some others in my area were not so lucky, someone's new escape had a smashed door/front quarter.

Gritesh

There was a raft of smashed car windows and dented body panels last night. I'm glad it's only my windshield, which I am not too worried about because it's original and was cracked and chipped already. If it had been a rear quarter, it would have been expensive and potentially not worthwhile to fix.

Some others in my area were not so lucky, someone's new escape had a smashed door/front quarter.

People are terrible, sorry about your and your neighbors luck

Bandit1

Response from my tuner as to the rev-hang:

"In a Subaru this is normal. It is called throttle over run."

"I looked though the map. The throttle overrun is not defined so I can't tune it out. But I will look into it some more. I will let you know if I find anything."

I guess I'll get a CF driveshaft anyway... next year maybe. :p

What year is your Subaru?

So uh... this happened to my car overnight :/

Man that's awful. I don't understand why people go out of their way to tear up other people's stuff.

Fuck I hate people sometimes... I hate when people have no respect for other people's property.

N-Bomb

Oh man, this is unexpected. I think I found the actual car my doors came from. It appears to either have been some ricer that tarted it up, or maybe a show car owned by a company that makes/made anime sex games?

p1.jpg

Res isn't high enough for me to make out if the name on the glass is the same (I can make out 'K. Da.... something, but the windows are rolled down), but the logo decal placement is the same.

Freaky. I feel like I've found a dinosaur bone, and then come across a photo of it while it was alive D:

Bandit1

Oh man, this is unexpected. I think I found the actual car my doors came from. It appears to either have been some ricer that tarted it up, or maybe a show car owned by a company that makes/made anime sex games?

p1.jpg

Res isn't high enough for me to make out if the name on the glass is the same (I can make out 'K. Da.... something, but the windows are rolled down), but the logo decal placement is the same.

Freaky. I feel like I've found a dinosaur bone, and then come across a photo of it while it was alive D:

Cool! Where's the rest of it?? ;)

J-Rzez

Is the break in important to keep the engine from burning oil? Seems so odd to me how even with similar engines some burn oil at 100,000km (60k miles) while others don't after 400,000km (250k miles). I know proper treatment helps, but I've wondered a lot about break in when evaluating used cars.

I broke in every new car I've owned basically in a similar manner. From high-comp, to turbo, to boring generic people movers. Not one of them experienced blow by or just flat out burnt up oil. I'm sure there's some motors out that it's inevitable you'll burn more oil than what's normally expected due to their design though. But, considering the 4G63 was supposed to be one of those motors and mine was well under expected oil consumption, I'd say break in is very important as observed, and can make or break a vehicle long term.

That is one of the risks you take when you buy a used car. You don't know how it was treated all those miles, let alone broken in.

ameratsu, sorry to see a pic like that, sucks. :(

EDIT: Let's see if I can link up this dyno for an Intake and tune on the WRX:

subaru-wrx-performance-air-intake-2015-50.jpg

lem0n

Was just browsing craigslist and found this in town for CHEAP. I honestly couldn't say no. Now the Miata has a garage buddy :D

10600358_10152382524119506_1421435412748984980_n_zps5fa0954f.jpg

N-Bomb

Cool! Where's the rest of it?? ;)

Who knows! Not my problem. :) The one issue is that the interior upholstery is slightly different on these doors than the fronts. :\

EDIT: Let's see if I can link up this dyno for an Intake and tune on the WRX:

http://www.subispeed.com/images/subaru-wrx-performance-air-intake-2015-50.jpg

All that octane and no improvement in the low end? D:

Was just browsing craigslist and found this in town for CHEAP. I honestly couldn't say no. Now the Miata has a garage buddy :D

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums...4119506_1421435412748984980_n_zps5fa0954f.jpg

Ahhh, it looks very hot and evil there. (but congrats!)

Gritesh

I just noticed they are advertising the sti to also sport a 2.0l rated at 308hp, doesn't the current production sti offer the 2.5 at 306hp.
So is the sti getting the same direct injection engine that the new wrx got and is just tuned for higher performance.. Not sure if I'm missing something as I am in the market for the sti but I kind of wanted to wait for the new engine.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I just noticed they are advertising the sti to also sport a 2.0l rated at 308hp, doesn't the current production sti offer the 2.5 at 306hp.
So is the sti getting the same direct injection engine that the new wrx got and is just tuned for higher performance.. Not sure if I'm missing something as I am in the market for the sti but I kind of wanted to wait for the new engine.

Well I guess this means there is a chance we'll see the new engine in the STI making it to the states. Yes the current STI uses the 2.5L engine.

Scoobert

The WRX S4 is as expected, a luxury WRX. The engines in both Sti markets are the same they've been for awhile. Nothing really new. They did not get the new engine. We Americans like our displacement so we have 2.5 while they have 2.0.

The difference in our WRX and theirs still isn't clear as far as power goes. Do they get more cause of better gas? Different tune? It's a difference of only 30hp so we shall see.

I'm still keeping my Sti order, under invoice is too good to pass up. I'm guessing new engine in 2 years, hatch by 3 years. I'll sell it then. I don't know, we'll see.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Forgot to mention this earlier.

I stopped by a BMW dealership in South Orange County CA and they said basically every 2 series they get has already been sold/allocated. In order to get one you have to order it and then you're looking at November through February depending on the model and trim. There weren't any on the lot to look at either.

Also, from what I can tell, the M235i with xDrive keeps the Adaptive M suspension, which is (as far as I know) the first xDrive configuration that allows this to happen. This gives me confidence that the xDrive option won't screw up the driving dynamics that much.

Still looking for a person or a website that has a review or driving impressions of it.

Gritesh

The WRX S4 is as expected, a luxury WRX. The engines in both Sti markets are the same they've been for awhile. Nothing really new. They did not get the new engine. We Americans like our displacement so we have 2.5 while they have 2.0.

The difference in our WRX and theirs still isn't clear as far as power goes. Do they get more cause of better gas? Different tune? It's a difference of only 30hp so we shall see.

I'm still keeping my Sti order, under invoice is too good to pass up. I'm guessing new engine in 2 years, hatch by 3 years. I'll sell it then. I don't know, we'll see.
Yep after looking at the specs it's still the EJ20 or whatever guess I'm waiting still

Top Bottom