• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

That's just the way these surveys work. It's not just dealerships. It's EVERYWHERE a survey is given to you. 1-9 is a failing grade. 10 is the only pass.

My wife used to manage an AT&T. Same story there. They fail if they don't get 10s across the board.

Yeah I know, I just find that approach mind numbingly ridiculous. You end up with results that mean nothing and the people who take the survey seriously actually cause more harm than good.

Why should I rate someone a 10/10 if I think they did a fine job, but have room for improvement? What good does that do anyone? Why not just switch it to "satisfied/not satisfied"?

TransTrender

Gold Member
The M56 and Q70 are the same exact car. It's just a mid-cycle facelift. The only body panel they changed was the lower part of the front bumper and grille. Headlights and taillights are the same shape, just with different interior patterns.

I guess it's the real life impressions of a dirty car in non-ideal lighting conditions vs PR bull-shots that trick my brain into thinking they did more styling updates in the last refresh.

New MBZ C-Class pulls the same trick kinda. Looks great in PR shots, looks like a turd in real life.

Wheel off the ground, baller status achieved!

NN0IbM8.jpg

And because body roll is hilarious in old cars.

fWgMaCp.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this... my dad just texted me this pic a friend took of him dragging his Chevelle this past weekend.

15402352458_cc3ecb9f15_o.png

kehs

Banned
NHTSA issues alert for nearly 5 million vehicles, urges 'immediate action

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Monday that certain car owners should "act immediately" to replace defective Takata airbags, affecting 4.7 million vehicles.

The agency said in a statementthat certain models including Toyota, Honda, Mazda, BMW,Nissan, and General Motors were involved, adding that owners instates such as Florida, Puerto Rico and Hawaii were among a list of priority.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/nhtsa-ur...72256985541&cid=sm_m_main_1_20141021_34102837

Flo_Evans

Posting this for a friend. He has a 1999 Passat B5 5 speed manual. Yesterday when he was driving he heard a loud pop and the car stopped shifting completely. It stays in neutral. It starts right up no problem. It just won't go into any gear or reverse. When he tries to change gears, we heard it trying to change, but nothing. We got it towed today, and the guy said it's probably the clutch. Any other ideas or about how much a clutch replacement costs?

Not sure but it could be a simple clutch cable on those older VWs.

Waterford Hills in Clarkston, MI. Small track but technical with good paving. And I'll let my car know someone still thinks it's high performance, it will be so excited to hear it.

haha! get a dash mount for next time and get some footage. If you have an iPhone, I recommend Harry's lap timer. Provides good info.

If Miata's can be considered high performance any porsche can :)

haha! get a dash mount for next time and get some footage. If you have an iPhone, I recommend Harry's lap timer. Provides good info.

If Miata's can be considered high performance any porsche can :)

I've been thinking about it but I'm spending money on this and a 944 track car so... gopro is at the bottom of the list.

I could just use a dash mount with my phone, but the camera in it is useless.

So, the numbers are coming out from Autocar's road test of the 918 vs. the P1, and the results are surprising, but perhaps, (it being a Porsche), not unexpected:

Lap Times:

Dry circuit: 1:05.7 (918), 1:06.8 (P1)

Wet circuit: 1:21.2 (918), 1:20.5 (P1)

Acceleration:

Standing quarter-mile: 10.2 s @ 144.9 mph (918), 10.2 s @ 147.5 mph (P1)

Standing kilometer: 18.2 s @ 180.4 mph (918), 18.2 s @ 178.5 mph (P1)

30-70 mph (4th gear): 3.0 s (918), 4.0 s (P1)

100-120 mph (7th gear): 3.5 s (918), 8.5 s (P1)

Braking:

70 mph to 0: 37.8 m (918), 40.9 m (P1)

Also, (and again hardly unexpected with it being a Porsche), the 918 was sent for testing with but a single technician, (basically just to make sure the tires didn't overheat), and completed all of its acceleration and track tests on said single set of tires.

Under-promising and over-delivering, as usual; I never doubted Zuffenhausen for a second. Now bring on the LaFiat!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The above makes no sense. I've seen the complete opposite, especially with the standing kilometer because the Porsche's electric power shuts off after 150MPH, and it took another publication about 8 seconds longer to reach 180MPH. There was even a video. They said it felt like hitting a brick wall the power drop off was so severe.

Wooo, car GAF! I passed my driving test on Monday. I'll be getting my first car in the next couple of weeks or so. I'm going for the Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 125PS Zetec S 3-Door in Deep Impact Blue.

Not my pictures:

So excited!

So, the numbers are coming out from Autocar's road test of the 918 vs. the P1, and the results are surprising, but perhaps, (it being a Porsche), not unexpected:

Also, (and again hardly unexpected with it being a Porsche), the 918 was sent for testing with but a single technician, (basically just to make sure the tires didn't overheat), and completed all of its acceleration and track tests on said single set of tires.

Under-promising and over-delivering, as usual; I never doubted Zuffenhausen for a second. Now bring on the LaFiat!

Porsche stays winning, no surprise there. LaFiat is perfect for that shitbarge.

I really hope Top Gear managed to get one for their three-way test this upcoming season, I want to drink more salty italian tears.

I missed you guys most of all. :p

Welcome back dood.

Is that because of insurance, or just the price tag on the car itself? Not a huge fan of red, but it's still a sweet little car and +40hp would make the color way less of a concern ;)

Insurance and the price tag yeah, but also running costs. Fuel economy takes quite a hit, more tax etc. I actually reaaaally like the red, especially with the black rims. Looks really nice in person. Not a fan of the Black Edition.

I'm looking for opinions on the following matter, I would appreciate any input. I'm situated in Canada.

I currently have a 335XI 2008 fully loaded with about 110k KMs, I bought this car brand new but my lord is it giving me repair headaches at the moment (it kinda always did). A lot of components are breaking, this year alone I'm putting 4k in repairs. I'm thinking of selling it and getting something that breaks less and is more economical in milage.

I'm looking into leasing the new Mercedes CLA 250 - its going to cost me about 500$/month tax in. My current car is costing me just in repairs 335$/month.

If I sell I can sell for 15k for a quick sale or 18k if I'm patient.

+ pocket 15k
+ no more car repair headaches
+ better mileage, save on gas expense

- ownership of a car
- 3,500$ down payment
- 300HP twin turbo (I'm really over my speeding phases in life)
- 150$ added cost per month to car payments (although the gas saving should offset this a little)

My main dilemma is I keep putting a lot of money into a car that keeps losing value and it keeps fucking breaking. Soon the Turbo's will go as well, I just know it. The CLA does it for me because it's fairly affordable and has a smaller engine, yet keeps me in the german family.

What does GAF think?

AlphaSnake

I'm looking for opinions on the following matter, I would appreciate any input. I'm situated in Canada.

I currently have a 335XI 2008 fully loaded with about 110k KMs, I bought this car brand new but my lord is it giving me repair headaches at the moment (it kinda always did). A lot of components are breaking, this year alone I'm putting 4k in repairs. I'm thinking of selling it and getting something that breaks less and is more economical in milage.

I'm looking into leasing the new Mercedes CLA 250 - its going to cost me about 500$/month tax in. My current car is costing me just in repairs 335$/month.

If I sell I can sell for 15k for a quick sale or 18k if I'm patient.

+ pocket 15k
+ no more car repair headaches
+ better mileage, save on gas expense

- ownership of a car
- 3,500$ down payment
- 300HP twin turbo (I'm really over my speeding phases in life)
- 150$ added cost per month to car payments (although the gas saving should offset this a little)

My main dilemma is I keep putting a lot of money into a car that keeps losing value and it keeps fucking breaking. Soon the Turbo's will go as well, I just know it. The CLA does it for me because it's fairly affordable and has a smaller engine, yet keeps me in the german family.

What does GAF think?

Why the Mercedes? You can lease an Infiniti Q50 AWD (relatively cheap, though not sure how it translates in Canada). Or if you'd like to save more money. an Infiniti Q40 AWD (formerly known as the G37 Sedan). That way you'll have a bulletproof, rock solid car, it'll be new, it'll have the power and it shouldn't be much to lease.

lem0n

Convinced my mom today to retire her old faithful Saturn VUE 2.2 5 speed and get something that doesn't have 303k on it.

She ended up, oddly, with the car I suggested. It's an '04 VW B5.5 Passat Wagon V6. 68k miles. Are there any issues I should look out for? I do all of the maintenance so should I prepare for a nightmare? I heard these motors are pretty good as long as you keep a fresh timing belt on it.

Yeah we've all heard the one about the VW with the electrical problems or the CEL, lol.

ameratsu

Adventures in used car ownership:

I removed my door panel to check why my door lock mechanism is working so poorly, only to be greeted by this. Spent a good 30 minutes removing all the door seal gunk. Now I can go pay acura ~$50 for a new door moisture seal.

keezy

Figured this would be the best place to post this question. Has anybody successfully dealt with removing deep scratches from one of their wheel(s)?

I was going to wash my car on Saturday and I was driving down a road with leaves all over the place. Heard a thud on my back right tire. When I got to the car wash I checked and I have a giant scratch on my wheel. I have aftermarket low profile wheels/tires on a 2014 Fusion. I think it was a pothole and my wheel bottomed out in it resulting in the scratch.

Been sick to my stomach about this(Gotta love Michigan roads). If I went to a detailer do you think they'd be able to sand it down?

I have black alloy wheels so the scratch stands out. It's a big silver streak on the lip of the wheel.

Figured this would be the best place to post this question. Has anybody successfully dealt with removing deep scratches from one of their wheel(s)?

I was going to wash my car on Saturday and I was driving down a road with leaves all over the place. Heard a thud on my back right tire. When I got to the car wash I checked and I have a giant scratch on my wheel. I have aftermarket low profile wheels/tires on a 2014 Fusion. I think it was a pothole and my wheel bottomed out in it resulting in the scratch.

Been sick to my stomach about this(Gotta love Michigan roads). If I went to a detailer do you think they'd be able to sand it down?

I have black alloy wheels so the scratch stands out. It's a big silver streak on the lip of the wheel.

Spray paint. Good as new.

Rengoku

If its a deep scratch, it could be an issue, you will probably need a shop to do the wheel refinishing. Otherwise, you might be able to get a paint chip repair kit and try your luck, but it will never turn out perfect. Wheel refinishing will probably be the way to go.

I'm looking to get my first car with the next year and a half and I've been doing some research and I'm leaning towards a 2009 Mazda 6. Has anybody had any negative experience with the Mazda brand or that particular car? Is it a good first car?

AlphaSnake

Wait Mercedes bumped the price of the c series to start at 42k? C400 at 50k?

Da fuq

Yeah, I have no idea.

Granted the car's a bit bigger now, but uh...that's Audi A6 and Jaguar XF territory. Why would I buy a C-Class over bigger cars, with a better badge to boot?

Smokey

Yeah, I have no idea.

Granted the car's a bit bigger now, but uh...that's Audi A6 and Jaguar XF territory. Why would I buy a C-Class over bigger cars, with a better badge to boot?

Is a Jag badge really better or more "prestigious" than a Merc badge tho?

I had no idea they bumped the price up that much. For kicks I made a c400...came out to 65k...I guess it's no different than a fully loaded 335 or something . Feels weird tho I dunno

I had no idea they bumped the price up that much. For kicks I made a c400...came out to 65k...I guess it's no different than a fully loaded 335 or something . Feels weird tho I dunno

Might have something to do with their entry CLA.

AlphaSnake

A Jaguar is still a highly desirable brand, the name has incredible amounts of prestige. It's just recovering from an era of awful Ford managed days, but wide acclaim and 3-digit sales growth year over year shows that the brand is still desired. More importantly, back to the original comparison, the XF is a mid-size executive sedan, the C-Class is not.

I wasn't comparing the brand badge, I was comparing the model badge. XF over C-Class any day of the week simply because you get more for your money.

Also, only an idiot would option a 335i over 60K in real life. It's like optioning a Cayman or Boxster to over $120K. Any 3/4-series over 60K and you should just be getting the M equivalent.

Top Bottom