• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Smokey

A Jaguar is still a highly desirable brand, the name has incredible amounts of prestige. It's just recovering from an era of awful Ford managed days, but wide acclaim and 3-digit sales growth year over year shows that the brand is still desired. More importantly, back to the original comparison, the XF is a mid-size executive sedan, the C-Class is not.

I wasn't comparing the brand badge, I was comparing the model badge. XF over C-Class any day of the week simply because you get more for your money.

Gotcha

Edit: there are lots of idiots

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gotcha

Edit: there are lots of idiots

Nah, not exactly. Fully loaded cars like that amount to about 5% of a car's total sales and often times they're sold deeply discounted. The average 335i is optioned to the $50K mark with the necessities (navigation, heated seats).

The major reason why car makes offer you the ability to option these cars out to the high heavens is because they make an absolute killing in margins the more options you add. It costs BMW virtually nothing to make a base BMW run navigation, it's largely software based - but you just paid $3000 because you really wanted it and are also now forced to bundle it into a package that includes keyless entry (another software enabled keyfob trick).

Worst of all, those options have no positive affect on depreciation. If you went two years later to trade your $60K 335i in, the dealership will likely offer you at most $1000 more than what they would for a $50K one with the same mileage and age. And you'll have to fight tooth-and-nail to get them to go higher.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll price the two cars with at least a $4-5K dollar difference.

Smokey

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that the special interior color you think is so rare wont do shit when it comes time to resell.

Evo X

Unseasonably warm weather in Chicago today so I pretty much spent it all hanging out with friends, and riding my motorcycle.

Also went for a spin in my friend's Ariel Atom. One of the most visceral and thrilling experiences I've had on 4 wheels!

Precise handling that felt like you were glued to the road, acceleration that pinned you to the seat and amazing induction/supercharger noise right behind your head.

I personally don't think I would own one as it's crazy intense and attracts too much attention on the road, but it's nice knowing someone who has one.

Here's some crappy pics I snapped with my phone. First one is from a meet a while back. I don't have any recent pics of the exterior, but he's added some carbon pieces and huge wing. The interior ones are from tonight's ride while we were stopped for gas.

WkFwq1X.jpg

59aq0X4.jpg

1ud4rcp.jpg

Figured this would be the best place to post this question. Has anybody successfully dealt with removing deep scratches from one of their wheel(s)?

I was going to wash my car on Saturday and I was driving down a road with leaves all over the place. Heard a thud on my back right tire. When I got to the car wash I checked and I have a giant scratch on my wheel. I have aftermarket low profile wheels/tires on a 2014 Fusion. I think it was a pothole and my wheel bottomed out in it resulting in the scratch.

Been sick to my stomach about this(Gotta love Michigan roads). If I went to a detailer do you think they'd be able to sand it down?

I have black alloy wheels so the scratch stands out. It's a big silver streak on the lip of the wheel.
Are you sure it's just a scratch and not a hairline crack? I can't imagine a scratch appearing from a pothole but I can certainly imagine a crack, and I wouldn't want to be driving on a cracked rim.

Ban Puncher

Do I wait for the 2015 Toyota 86 GTS refresh for $40k odd or save around $8k and buy a second hand 2013 as prices seem to finally be falling because of the impending new model?

I can't decide.

Arucardo

Time to bring something else in here, too much talk about all these new cars, heh.

Bought my first car, feels good man. Of course there's a few minor things I need to fix on it, but other than that I'm more than happy with it.

http://webmup.com/xIx1Z/

I'll post some better pics when I've washed it.

2,5L inline six
230 000 km
Modified exhaust and ECU (should be around 210-230 hp)
Adjustable coilovers
Locked differential
and a bunch of M-Sport stuff added to it

Anyone want to guess how much I paid for this? :p

No Love

Banned
Time to bring something else in here, too much talk about all these new cars, heh.

Bought my first car, feels good man. Of course there's a few minor things I need to fix on it, but other than that I'm more than happy with it.

2,5L inline six
230 000 km
Adjustable coilovers
Locked differential

That's a really fun car right there. E36's are incredible driving machines. You probably got it for like $4k USD right? Some crazy cheap price.

Arucardo

That's a really fun car right there. E36's are incredible driving machines. You probably got it for like $4k USD right? Some crazy cheap price.
2300 euros. The car handles like a go cart right now, which is lovely. I've driven a few newer bmw's (e46' and e9x's), but none of them handled like this. The setup is a bit too stiff and low for winter though.

Having the locked differential for winter is going to be fun.

schwupp

2300 euros. The car handles like a go cart right now, which is lovely. I've driven a few newer bmw's (e46' and e9x's), but none of them handled like this. The setup is a bit too stiff and low for winter though.

Having the locked differential for winter is going to be fun.

230k km is kind of overkill - but if everything is still running good for you :)

Arucardo

230k km is kind of overkill - but if everything is still running good for you :)
Anything even close to that price range for this car is more than 300k km so it's not so bad.

Also, to give an idea about car prices here in Finland a brand new subaru brz is 35 000 euros

Ty4on

Anything even close to that price range for this car is more than 300k km so it's not so bad.

Also, to give an idea about car prices here in Finland a brand new subaru brz is 35 000 euros

lawl
Base price is 53k euro in Norway :p
That's why Teslas are considered bargains here.

TylerD

It has been 5 weeks since my engine died and I am still without my car. Today is day 30/30 i'm allowed a rental but I'm going to demand an extension because there was a whole week where fuck-all was being done to get me back on the road. The shop doesn't even have the engine that is supposed to be "in transit" at this point but the old one has been pulled.

I had given the information for an engine out of a 2005 330cic ZHP with 80K in California to the claims rep and she told me that she would get it approved and order the engine to get that rolling. I got busy with work and life stuff (met a girl!) and didn't follow up for 6 days. I call insurance and they say they are waiting on me to order the fucking engine.

Told them that was bullshit and that I found one and gave the price\info to someone and they said they would order it. There have been other various things from them mailing a check to an incorrect fucking address and that taking 8 days. I had to demand that someone from the local office write a check and go hand it to the guy so we both could sign it and get the fucking engine ordered.

It has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass and I have had to babysit the entire fucking process from the beginning. I just want my car back :(

I have been driving a Focus and actually enjoying it. If my 330ci becomes a problem I would definitely be interested in trying out a new Focus ST.

Ty4on

Heh, I was going to mention that it's not as bad as Norway at least.

Denmark actually has more expensive cars. They mostly tax weight so superminis are cheaper, but prices quickly escalate well above Norwegian prices. The BRZ is cheaper, but the Outback and Legacy are more expensive. The workaround is that almost every car can be taxed as a much cheaper van in Denmark so you'll find many Q7, X5 and Cayenne vans :p

That's why it's wrong to say electric cars are subsidized here. They're just exempt from taxes
and can use bus lanes to bypass rush hour traffic :p

Has a car community for a certain car ever steer you away from it?

the way Honda Enthusiasts have been have steered me away permanently from the brand. (albeit thats not the only reason)

ameratsu

The way Honda Enthusiasts have been have steered me away permanently from the brand. (albeit thats not the only reason)

I agree about Honda Enthusiasts, I just choose to appreciate Hondas (especially older Hondas) for how great they are and distance myself from the community.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I agree about Honda Enthusiasts, I just choose to appreciate Hondas (especially older Hondas) for how great they are and distance myself from the community.

I own two Hondas. They're appliances. I like them for what they are, but I don't really understand what there is to be enthused about. I feel the same way about a lot of cars, though.

ameratsu

I own two Hondas. They're appliances. I like them for what they are, but I don't really understand what there is to be enthused about. I feel the same way about a lot of cars, though.

Well, I think my appreciation for specific Honda models and engines comes from growing up in the 90s-00s and seeing some really cool cars. My appreciation is with the sportier models (Integra GS-R/Type-R, 99-00 Civic Si/SiR, 88-91 Prelude Si, etc) and less so with their uber-reliable commuting appliances. I look at these cars with a bit of a historical lens, though, and love how good they were for their time. Too bad Honda's new cars are comparatively boring.

Bandit1

Unseasonably warm weather in Chicago today so I pretty much spent it all hanging out with friends, and riding my motorcycle.

Also went for a spin in my friend's Ariel Atom. One of the most visceral and thrilling experiences I've had on 4 wheels!

Precise handling that felt like you were glued to the road, acceleration that pinned you to the seat and amazing induction/supercharger noise right behind your head.

I personally don't think I would own one as it's crazy intense and attracts too much attention on the road, but it's nice knowing someone who has one.

Here's some crappy pics I snapped with my phone. First one is from a meet a while back. I don't have any recent pics of the exterior, but he's added some carbon pieces and huge wing. The interior ones are from tonight's ride while we were stopped for gas.

WkFwq1X.jpg

59aq0X4.jpg

1ud4rcp.jpg

That's really cool, I bet it was a blast!

2,5L inline six
230 000 km
Adjustable coilovers
Locked differential

Nice car man I like it.

sfedai0

Banned
The new Type-R has definitely got my attention...but then again, any R would since Honda hasnt sold one in the US since the DC2. Ive been waiting on something new from Honda that worth purchasing since the S2k.

I don't know why I tease myself by looking at Japanese car auctions for BNR34's. I'm still a few years off, but I just can't help myself.

Has a car community for a certain car ever steer you away from it?

the way Honda Enthusiasts have been have steered me away permanently from the brand. (albeit thats not the only reason)

M3 owners... I have no clue how my friend puts up with them. I nearly bought a E90 and I went to a few meets with a friend to talk cars with other owners, and I was knee deep in hearing about the racing heritage of BMW M line (and carbon bits)... they LOVED their carbon bits.

And 240 kids... Yes I drive a S chassis... No I won't drift it. Everything is about internet fame, shitty looking cars because of the "ain't care" mentality.

I avoid larger meets all together because of this.

this honda type R ad is sweet. press R while watching the video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HondaVideo

This is a great ad. From what I've seen and read in various Japanese car magazines, it sound like it's going to be quite the interesting car.

Rengoku

Remember that guy on youtube who had tons of issues with his 991 carrera 911 and the whole thing blew up on the net because Porsche kept screwing with him? Well, eventually, he decided to get rid of the porsche and replace it with an M4.

After 4 months owning the M4, he's decided to return to a Porsche 911. He says he did not enjoy the M4 as much as he hoped.

Here's his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdTujx4H-x8

and the forum thread

TylerD

this honda type R ad is sweet. press R while watching the video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HondaVideo

Very cool ad. I really dig the LED taillight integration in the rear spoiler.

Remember that guy on youtube who had tons of issues with his 991 carrera 911 and the whole thing blew up on the net because Porsche kept screwing with him? Well, eventually, he decided to get rid of the porsche and replace it with an M4.

After 4 months owning the M4, he's decided to return to a Porsche 911. He says he did not enjoy the M4 as much as he hoped.

Here's his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdTujx4H-x8

and the forum thread

I have been subscribed to his channel and watching his videos since the horrors of his 991 911 were brought up in this thread. Really like his stuff and think it's cool that he is returning to Porsche. He really likes the M4 but he doesn't love it like he did the 991.

No shame in that.

edit: I have spent many hours watching 944\Turbo repair videos and reviews and looking at for sale ads... my desire for another Porsche is still alive.

Arucardo

Heh, had a problem with my car where the windscreen wipers were on all the time if you put the fuse in.

First I disconnected the switch for the wipers which didn't work (still wiping without the switch) so naturally I figured it's either wiring or the relay for the wipers (most likely relay in this case). Had to take apart some of the driver side upholstery and footrest to get to the relay.

Took the relay out and removed the casing to reveal the circuit board, covered the plastic parts and condensators with aluminium foil, warmed up the kitchen oven to 190c and put the part in for 8 minutes.

After it cooled down I put all of it back together and voila! it works! Feeling pretty happy about it :)

torontoml

So my new F150's steering wheel is a few degrees off center to the right. Took it in for service, this is what they did to apparently fix it:

So it's still off center any suggestions as to what I can tell them differently the next time?

I don't understand SEMA.

Someone explain it to me. The manufacturers that bring cars to this thing almost never create trims/variants out of them that people can buy, and I have no idea how much of this stuff is aftermarket kit offered to people.

One of many examples from one of the autoblog posts:

Sound good? Don't get too excited: the "High Performance" K900 is only a SEMA show car, and Kia has no plans for production.

So what's the fucking point? At least a concept car shows off future design language and styling cues, this is just literally "we added all these performance parts and/or weird shit to our car. Well....bye."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's the one auto show I don't give two shits about and completely ignore.

It's utterly boring.

So my new F150's steering wheel is a few degrees off center to the right. Took it in for service, this is what they did to apparently fix it:

So it's still off center any suggestions as to what I can tell them differently the next time?

Well is it anywhere near as bad as it was? Most of the time when doing an alignment they'll set it up so that the wheel is off to the right (clockwise) a little bit so that when driving down a crowned road you end up with a straightened wheel.

ascii42

Cadillac ATS-V revealed, and it looks as you'd expect. Road&Track says the TTV6 is good for 450 hp and 445 lb-ft of torque, and weighs 3600 lbs. Appears to have a 6 speed manual in the interior shot.
001Cadillac-ATS-V-lg.jpg

002Cadillac-ATS-V-lg.jpg

dk7od8kyfqr4c1y5femm.jpg

nnbl3xyxbsqbz68zxlwv.jpg

Not sure about the chrome strip, and other elements of the front end. but I'll withhold judgment until I see it in person. GM's media pictures always suck. Probably could look pretty mean in black.

Smokey

Cadillac ATS-V revealed, and it looks as you'd expect. Road&Track says the TTV6 is good for 450 hp and 445 lb-ft of torque, and weighs 3600 lbs. Appears to have a 6 speed manual in the interior shot.
001Cadillac-ATS-V-lg.jpg

002Cadillac-ATS-V-lg.jpg

dk7od8kyfqr4c1y5femm.jpg

nnbl3xyxbsqbz68zxlwv.jpg

Not sure about the chrome strip, and other elements of the front end. but I'll withhold judgment until I see it in person. GM's media pictures always suck. Probably could look pretty mean in black.

I likkkeee

Top Bottom