• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Sure it is too early to as...

Shouldn't expect anything new on a 2016 Mustang GT other than the revamped multimedia interface, right?

The 2016 will probably have Sync 3 and some minor changes here and there. for example, the 2015 MKZ comes with power folding side mirrors as an option. It was never available on the other ones before. The 2015 Ford Escape now has power seats for the passenger side, which wasn't in any of the previous models.

EGOMON

Sure, but they're just not perfectly viable
Ford
supercar engines. Okay I guess they could be, or will be, but Ford is renowned for their V8s. The flathead, the 289, the 427 Cammer, the Boss engines. The decision is quite baffling to me. This would have been the perfect opportunity to announce the first-ever Ford Ecoboost V8. Especially considering the rumors of the mid engined Corvette, which will surely make more power than the 650 hp in the Z06.

This^
Ford needs a flagship supercar to compete with big boys not American-GTR, i can't help but feel that Ecoboost V8 is a missed opportunity. The Mustang is already covering 500-600 bhp range of their line-up ugh am so disappointed and i only hope that in the future they will give us a more powerfull badass FGT

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Jaguar F-Pace (herein known as the FP) looks gorgeous. Basically identical to the concept from last year.

Bravo Ian, you magnificent bastard.

TylerD

This^
Ford needs a flagship supercar to compete with big boys not American-GTR, i can't help but feel that Ecoboost V8 is a missed opportunity. The Mustang is already covering 500-600 bhp range of their line-up ugh am so disappointed and i only hope that in the future they will give us a more powerfull badass FGT

It will be a flagship supercar. Those 500-600 HP Mustangs aren't made from aluminum and carbon fiber!

I'm sorry but "ecoboost" just doesn't sound very supercar at all. I LOVE the way the car looks. But... Eco... boost? Don't put an "economy" acronym and Ford GT in the same sentence please. I don't mind fuel economy, but for crying out loud don't put it in a supercar's name.

Why couldn't it be a Hellraiser V8? Supernova? Bloodhound? Names are free, pick a good one please! Nope. Ecoboost.

SMH.

EcoBoost is well-established branding. There's no good reason to introduce a new name. It's more beneficial from a marketing standpoint to use the same branding in their flagship model as the lesser models than it is detrimental to the GT to be powered by an engine named for the sake of its economic fuel consumption. Fuel economy is the name of the game in this automotive era, and Ford wants what's best for its brand rather than what would sound more "supercar" in what is already overtly a supercar. Duh, bruh.

EcoBoost is well-established branding. There's no good reason to introduce a new name. It's more beneficial from a marketing standpoint to use the same branding in their flagship model as the lesser models than it is detrimental to the GT to be powered by an engine named for the sake of its economic fuel consumption. Fuel economy is the name of the game in this automotive era, and Ford wants what's best for its brand rather than what would sound more "supercar" in what is already overtly a supercar. Duh, bruh.

By that logic, if Nissan ever released an electric supercar, they would call it leaf-powered?

Lizardus

By that logic, if Nissan ever released an electric supercar, they would call it leaf-powered?

The name of the Ford's new car isn't "Ford GT - powered by Ecoboost TwinTurbo V6", It's just Ford GT.

Ecoboost is to Ford what Vtec was to Honda, just a branding on something that everyone else uses.

The last Ford GT had a truck motor with a supercharger. Who cares?

Lol agreed.

Just going by Wikipedia, the Ford GT's 5.4L Modular V8 was also used in a Mustang(oh noes!) and a mothafncking Lincoln Navigator(oh hell no!). Should we also chastise the hell out of Koenigsegg for using a truck engine in the CCR? Dodge for retooling a truck engine for the Viper?

Besides, how many of y'all are buying this shit anyway?

It feels like the Jalopnik comment section in here. They shit on every new car that doesn't come with a manual transmission but when there's actually a new car with one, nobody fncking buys it and bitches that [insert car company here] canned the manual tranny's.

Smokey

Lol agreed.

Just going by Wikipedia, the Ford GT's 5.4L Modular V8 was also used in a Mustang(oh noes!) and a mothafncking Lincoln Navigator(oh hell no!). Should we also chastise the hell out of Koenigsegg for using a truck engine in the CCR? Dodge for retooling a truck engine for the Viper?

It feels like the Jalopnik comment section in here. They shit on every new car that doesn't come with a manual transmission but when there's actually a new car with one, nobody fncking buys it and bitches that [insert car company here] canned the manual tranny's.

Ok ok I see you jongkookie

AlphaSnake

The Jalopnik crowd amuses me. 98% of them own shitty or average joe cars. Camrys, Civics, CRVs, etc. But they cry murder over things that jongkookie mentioned. They clearly aren't splurging to buy these 6MTs...so shut the fuck up and stop complaining.

Momentary

Banned
Still shopping around for cars. The Jaguar F-Type has really made the price of Jaguar's XKR-S drop significantly. Brand new, the car goes for close to $133,000 with all the trimmings. I found a 2014 with 8,000 miles going for 84,600 from a certified dealer. Is it common for cars like this to plummet so much? The guy was even calling us back about the price being negotiable. The car's outward appearance looks great, but the old man steering wheel and ugly, laggy infotainment/nav system just doesn't do it for me. Seems like they are having a tough time pushing these cars.

AlphaSnake

Still shopping around for cars. The Jaguar F-Type has really made the price of Jaguar's XKR-S drop significantly. Brand new, the car goes for close to $133,000 with all the trimmings. I found a 2014 with 8,000 miles going for 84,600 from a certified dealer. Is it common for cars like this to plummet so much? The guy was even calling us back about the price being negotiable. The car's outward appearance looks great, but the old man steering wheel and ugly, laggy infotainment/nav system just doesn't do it for me. Seems like they are having a tough time pushing these cars.

I love the XKRS. I still don't think the infotainment system is that laggy, once the system loads up (just like any PC) after a few minutes it's perfectly fine. I love the interior, it's clean and simple. The car looks gorgeous. Handles very, veeerry well. And it's brutally fast.

ascii42

I love the XKRS. I still don't think the infotainment system is that laggy, once the system loads up (just like any PC) after a few minutes it's perfectly fine. I love the interior, it's clean and simple. The car looks gorgeous. Handles very, veeerry well. And it's brutally fast.
I had the opportunity to drive one at a Jaguar event. All I had a chance to do was take it from 0-90, but it was great as I haven't driven that many fast cars, at least not on that level. Pretty much just the CTS-V. I did get to auto cross an XKR, though. What struck me was how comfortable I was while doing it. If I had the kind of money to spend on a Jag, I'd get the XJ though. Love that thing

Ok ok I see you jongkookie

Lolololol. I just found it hilarious to be complaining about engine names for a supercar that maybe 1 or 2 in this thread could even buy.

Just look at the current engine names for other high-performance cars... LS, Cyclone, Coyote, Pentastar, HEMI, Viper, F136/F140/F154, FSI, H6, MZR, 22B, EJ, 4U-GSE... none of these are even remotely vicious.

Besides, anyone wanting to buy a Ford GT already knows what he's getting himself into, otherwise he would've bought a Lambo or a Ferrari if he's that concerned about an engine having a pansy-ass name.

The Jalopnik crowd amuses me. 98% of them own shitty or average joe cars. Camrys, Civics, CRVs, etc. But they cry murder over things that jongkookie mentioned. They clearly aren't splurging to buy these 6MTs...so shut the fuck up and stop complaining.

Yeah, it's the one thing I hate about Jalopnik. I love the articles they put out, especially DeMuro's, but the majority of the commenters come from the pits of YouTube or Reddit... too much hivemind thinking and all that.

I will say that I was kinda bitter that Lexus decided to can the sticks for the current IS'. I've driven a last gen IS350(not the Altezzas) with a stick and while it wasn't as good as my Miata... it was workable and I could've daily drove something like that but I'm barely out of college and I don't even have a job yet so I really don't care that it's gone. I do hope that I'll be able to find a used stick IS350 or a G35/G37 whenever I'm gonna need the backseats lol. Otherwise, hopefully the IS-F will depreciate like hell so I can buy one hahaha.

TCRS

Banned
facelifted BMW 1 series, now in non-ugly and dorky. also the last one with RWD.

4joUdLk.jpg

zPhiS2C.jpg

NOywHmM.jpg

lNs78Ha.jpg

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...151703.html?fotoshow_item=29#fotoshow_item=26

Yuck. The body looks like an oil spill on water, you know all those rippling reflections? That's what this car is.

lol

I just want to know why the 2nd and 3rd character lines (if you could call them that) bordering the door divot (if you could call it that) are unevenly kinked as they approach the front wheel. Nothing about those lines makes any sense to my eyeballs.

Lol agreed.

as long as they do a little tuning and work on the engine its fine.

facelifted BMW 1 series, now in non-ugly and dorky. also the last one with RWD.

4joUdLk.jpg

zPhiS2C.jpg

NOywHmM.jpg

lNs78Ha.jpg

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...151703.html?fotoshow_item=29#fotoshow_item=26
am I the only one who wants a RWD Hatchback like this?

or the KP61 Starlet

tumblr_m5ml3aKiSH1rspceho1_1280.jpg

No Love

Banned
Anyone bitching about the Ecoboost 3.5L in the Ford GT/new Raptor is ignorant about engine design, period. It's a fantastic motor and we are going to see some amazing results with it, especially once aftermarket customers like myself get a hold of the motor and throw on another 200-300 hp.

I expect the Ford GT motor to be fully built, lightened rotating assembly etc with massive power potential from the factory (800-1000 hp). The normal TT3.5L Ecoboosts, such as in the Raptor/SHO et al should do 600-700 hp no problem.

J-Rzez

LTTP but damn that Ford GT was incredible. I'd say the NSX looked fantastic, and it probably would have stole the show looks wise if Ford didn't snuff them out with that GT unveil. The rear section of the car... oh my. Can't wait to see it's performance, and hopefully it'll be in the flesh at the NYIAS this year which I will once again be at.

On a side note, Ford didn't show off the Focus RS though? Strange. Was really hoping to see that.

Evo X

LMAO.

Jalopnik crowd driving civics and complaining the new GT3 is PDK only.

LMAO.

The Jalopnik crowd is who will be buying today's cars 10-15 years from now when they're way down in price. At that point it will be lamentable that they won't have any manuals left to drive.

And you don't have to be a potential buyer to be upset that cars are losing manuals.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
LMAO.

That is hilarious.

It's just the fact of the future. MT's are fun, but they'd never get the same shift speed from them.

The Jalopnik crowd is who will be buying today's cars 10-15 years from now when they're way down in price. At that point it will be lamentable that they won't have any manuals left to drive.

And you don't have to be a potential buyer to be upset that cars are losing manuals.

They'll still exist forever, but only in markets that care for them. (Europe) Anything aiming for sub 3.0s accel times though they will continue to be nonexistent.

Back from my free-speech-isn't-allowed-here-reminder hiatus!

New whip - V8 or bust.

iAeqPoQ.jpg

Grats! Didn't you just get a Cayman?

Grats to Huracan dude as well. Top jelly!

Grats to anyone else who picked up a new whip in the last month.

Few comments on stuff that's happened recently:

1) Ford GT looks fantastic. Can't believe people are complaining about the V6. It's 2015, cylinder counts don't matter, the manual is dead, and dual-clutch is king. Embrace it.

2) Acura NSX looks like the non-descript sports car I'll be driving in GTA VI, called the Torpedo, or Katana, or some shit. Still looks good, just really bland.

3) Top Gear is still having their three way hypercar shoot-out. Still looking forward to LaFerrari getting its ass kicked.

Jackson

That Huracan is the guy's "winter car". He has this Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport too.

My buddy (different guy from the Huracan) picked up a '15 Aston Martin GT Saturday. So sexy. Back and front views are refined beauty.
DNkxfmQ.jpg

(In the garage, next to my GTS)
1XVJip4.jpg

(At the showroom)
JUTLR28.jpg

(This is his MV Agusta F3 800. Gorgeous bike that now matches his black Aston.)

Since I'm sharing pix, might as well share some of this '13 Gallardo Final Edition I had fun with.
wsiAh2b.jpg

(The Bianco Monocerous color matched the matte arctic white of my Panigale)
I5jWjkN.jpg

muVhmjM.jpg

OXNhlBk.jpg

Another (3rd) friend picked up a McLaren P1 last weekend (18 month delivery from initial order) in a rare custom color, but he doesn't want me to share pix of it. He's pretty low key about his stuff.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
That Huracan is the guy's "winter car". He has this Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport too.

My buddy (different guy from the Huracan) picked up an Aston Martin GT Saturday. So sexy. Back and front views are refined beauty.

Another (3rd) friend picked up a McLaren P1 last weekend (18 month delivery from initial order), but he doesn't want me to share pix of it. He's pretty low key about his stuff.

Beautiful cars.

Here's what was in the shop while my Scud was in for the PPI (there were two of these).

xNNQ0XO.jpg

On another note, I'd probably have a Huracan if I could properly fit in it. I sat in it during a private viewing months before the release and have driven it multiple times on both the road and track; not happening. Fantastic car, though. For actual drivers, better than the Aventador by far.

Smokey

My buddy (different guy from the Huracan) picked up a '15 Aston Martin GT Saturday. So sexy. Back and front views are refined beauty.

Since I'm sharing pix, might as well share some of this '13 Gallardo Final Edition I had fun with.

Another (3rd) friend picked up a McLaren P1 last weekend (18 month delivery from initial order) in a rare custom color, but he doesn't want me to share pix of it. He's pretty low key about his stuff.

keep yourself in good company breh

TCRS

Banned

buys a McLaren P1
lowkey

cool rich ass friends you have though.

Smokey

Ok. I have to ask at this point. Are all of you guys hedge fund managers or something?

Well he probably made a good bit of change from Scribblenauts :p

But his friends...yeah....to buy P1s etc...gotta be something like that. I will say though that "low-key" and P1 make zero sense together. If he doesn't want to show off his money that's probably like...the worst way to go about it

Well he probably made a good bit of change from Scribblenauts :p

But his friends...yeah....to buy P1s etc...gotta be something like that. I will say though that "low-key" and P1 make zero sense together. If he doesn't want to show off his money that's probably like...the worst way to go about it

the-wire-o.gif

Hey, I helped buy your Cayman! :p Fun games.

Top Bottom