• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Missouri had a vote on removing front license plates a few years ago, and then those liberal/conservative/whoever fucks voted it down.

i'm pretty apolitical and i think that will be my go to blame statement from now on! lol

Thinking of getting a Mercedes E320 CDI 2006 and wanted to read some impressions or any comments on the car, is it any good, reliability etc.

I'm not that much into cars so just wanted to hear more knowledgeable peoples opinion on the car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So, how about that Jeep Renegade? It's much better than expected, and the price is right.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-2015-jeep-renegade-is-just-as-good-as-you-hoped-it-1681008349

I'm looking at getting this job at GM, and I'm thinking about how to get the application perfect. I may have some things I need to work through, so I want this to be my best foot forward.

Haha, I never thought I'd see a Fiat-designed Jeep. That's awesome. What a quirky little thing for the road. People will love it.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
LMAO! For real? I respect that.

Goddamn I want my company to hurry up and sell already, too.

The E46 M3 is still the one of the best cars ever to me. A supreme all-rounder.

It's a shame that so many of them running around right now are beat. I am always in the market for another clean '06.

AlphaSnake

It's a shame that so many of them running around right now are beat. I am always in the market for another clean '06.

Get a Laguna Seca Blue or Phoenix Yellow. :O

Hi Car-GAF,

Thinking of getting a Mercedes E320 CDI 2006 and wanted to read some impressions or any comments on the car, is it any good, reliability etc.

I'm not that much into cars so just wanted to hear more knowledgeable peoples opinion on the car.

I'd say that it's a solid car. Comfortable and nice to drive especially on longer trips. Can't say anything bad about it. Even the engine runs quite smooth, for a Diesel ;-). My father drives the station wagon for about 5-6 years and ~80.000 km now. Never had a problem besides regular (oil)service.

It's a shame. Why are nice cars always beaten so often. And it's getting harder and harder the older they are. I was looking for over a year when I was searching for a good, not beaten, not rusty '93 MB A124 Convertible.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Tesla Model S P85; if you have a decent charging situation, best daily driver ever. With the D model out now, it's a no-brainer. I have a love affair with mine.

WqCg0oF.jpg

lBxEtrq.gif

Hi Car-GAF,

I'd say that it's a solid car. Comfortable and nice to drive especially on longer trips. Can't say anything bad about it. Even the engine runs quite smooth, for a Diesel ;-). My father drives the station wagon for about 5-6 years and ~80.000 km now. Never had a problem besides regular (oil)service.

Thanks for impressions mate. We got it! Maybe I'll post pics later!

But I have this really weird problem. The seat belts in the back of the car. It's like they're held down by something, you simply can't get them out and actually put them on. They're stuck.

Any guesses too what it could be ?

I know you guys are mostly in America, but does anybody have any experience with E90 320d models? Efficient Dynamics specifically. My mate's looking in to it and wondered if there was anything to look out for.

I know the N47 can have timing chain issues at huge cost, and also the turbo can fail. I've also read the swirl valves need regular maintenance, particularly on early models. I've also heard about the fuel tank breather pipes leaking fuel when the tank's brimmed.

I haven't been able to find any other 'consistent' failures. Anybody familiar with the car?

Thanks for impressions mate. We got it! Maybe I'll post pics later!

But I have this really weird problem. The seat belts in the back of the car. It's like they're held down by something, you simply can't get them out and actually put them on. They're stuck.

Any guesses too what it could be ?

Faulty inertia reel? Bit weird that all of them are like that though, maybe there's a manual lock to keep them in place for people with OCD?

Faulty inertia reel? Bit weird that all of them are like that though, maybe there's a manual lock to keep them in place for people with OCD?

I looked around on different Mercedes forums, finding people having the same problem, but no immediate fix. I looked in the Car Manual too and there doesn't seem to be a manual lock either.

Kinda weird.

Well thanks for all the answers guys, I really appreciate it.

ascii42

god fucking damnit

not now, not before I have become rich! end of an era man.

I really like the new Renegade. cool little touches all through out the car and it looks quirky without looking weird, if you know what I mean. not sure about the removable roof panels though, why not make a simple panoramic roof?

I would guess structural reasons.

Evo X

god fucking damnit

not now, not before I have become rich! end of an era man.

A 3.8 flat 6 turbo doesn't sound too bad for the 911.

What's worse is what they're planning to do with the Boxster & Cayman. I don't want a fucking 4 cylinder turbo in my Porsche. They're gonna sound like Evos and STIs. :/

Maybe I should put in an order for a Cayman GTS while there is still time.

cajunator

Banned
Beautiful cars.

Here's what was in the shop while my Scud was in for the PPI (there were two of these).

xNNQ0XO.jpg

On another note, I'd probably have a Huracan if I could properly fit in it. I sat in it during a private viewing months before the release and have driven it multiple times on both the road and track; not happening. Fantastic car, though. For actual drivers, better than the Aventador by far.

man, forget all the others, I would just take that silver 355 in the back!

Jackson

A 3.8 flat 6 turbo doesn't sound too bad for the 911.

What's worse is what they're planning to do with the Boxster & Cayman. I don't want a fucking 4 cylinder turbo in my Porsche. They're gonna sound like Evos and STIs. :/

Maybe I should put in an order for a Cayman GTS while there is still time.

Maybe you should!

Evo X

Maybe you should!

You wouldn't happened to be biased at all, would you? lol

In other news, I just sold my Boxster 2 days ago, so I do have the garage space and some extra cash now. I'll most likely wait until spring or summer to pick up another sports car though.

Granadier

What? Not even close, 911 turbos sound significantly different from their NA brothers. Turbos have a huge impact on the sound of a car's exhaust--no getting around that.

You're correct, but there will always be the older model Porsche's out there without turbos.

AlphaSnake

My friend is a frequent contributor at Jalopnik (I won't reveal his full name, but he goes by Tavarish) and my God I can't believe he gets paid to write the silly things he does. Some of it is just downright bad advice, encouraging people to spend money on cars with rebuilt titles, for example (E90 M3 he posted two weeks ago).

His current article on buying a supercharged E46 M3 is simply...I don't know. Dumb. Especially because it's a 2001.

Smokey

My friend is a frequent contributor at Jalopnik (I won't reveal his full name, but he goes by Tavarish) and my God I can't believe he gets paid to write the silly things he does. Some of it is just downright bad advice, encouraging people to spend money on cars with rebuilt titles, for example (E90 M3 he posted two weeks ago).

His current article on buying a supercharged E46 M3 is simply...I don't know. Dumb. Especially because it's a 2001.

People gotta eat breh by any means necessary lol

You're correct, but there will always be the older model Porsche's out there without turbos.

Yes, but we can lament the fact that they're not going into the future outside of the GT3 model.

I feel like all of his articles give terrible advice financially, but it's fun to point out all the neat old cars that you can get in place of a more modern vehicle. When I was 23 with my first job I bought an eight year old 911 (996). It was a monumentally bad idea and I lost quite a bit of money on depreciation* and maintenance, but it remains my favorite everyday car I've ever owned and is still an incredible performance/quality bargain for the money.

The M3 in that article is a stupid thing to buy, but for the money you're getting a lot of awesome car. Well you know him, maybe he's secretly giving this advice out so people pick these things up and he can drive and share in the joy of them without suffering the financial hardships of owning them.

* I bought the car months before the crash in 2008 so the value tanked hard.

AlphaSnake

People gotta eat breh by any means necessary lol

I can't stand that mentality and logic he has. He wrote an article about how leasing cars is a waste of money last week.

A lot of Jalops agreed with him (some didn't). But all of us on his Facebook shitted on him, because he was so incredibly misinformed. LMAO.

Then his logic about "oh, I own a 13 year old S-Class for next to nothing and it's luxurious and reliable. Buying a new car is a waste of money."

Breh, you own an S-Class that has less technology in it than a mid-size loaded Altima from 2010. Calm down. Sometimes it just sounds like he's justifying being cheap.

No Love

Banned
I honestly thought Tavarish was a satire column writer because he's so off-base and wacky with his articles that I thought it was some big inside joke for hardcore Jalopnik readers.

I'm shocked that he wants to be taken seriously, LOL

AlphaSnake

Yes, but we can lament the fact that they're not going into the future outside of the GT3 model.

I feel like all of his articles give terrible advice financially, but it's fun to point out all the neat old cars that you can get in place of a more modern vehicle. When I was 23 with my first job I bought an eight year old 911 (996). It was a monumentally bad idea and I lost quite a bit of money on depreciation* and maintenance, but it remains my favorite everyday car I've ever owned and is still an incredible performance/quality bargain for the money.

The M3 in that article is a stupid thing to buy, but for the money you're getting a lot of awesome car. Well you know him, maybe he's secretly giving this advice out so people pick these things up and he can drive and share in the joy of them without suffering the financial hardships of owning them.

* I bought the car months before the crash in 2008 so the value tanked hard.

He literally scours eBay and just looks at the cheapest cars first. And his current article about the E46 M3 isn't even correct, because it's an auction that has a high reserve. It could very well be set above the cost of an FR-S. And still, it would be a terrible idea. I'd rather buy a used BRZ/FRS and turbo it with E85 with the money I saved over this M3. Or hell, a used 370Z and turbo that.

He's just a HUGE believer of buying cars used. He would never, ever buy a new car. Ever. That's his motto. Which is fine. But he doesn't realize if you're good at buying cars, you can grab a car at a price where the dealer actually eats up the depreciation. Or buy a new car with a few thousand miles on it, usually at a $10K markdown (which I did). There are tons of ways. He's just clueless sometimes, or chooses to ignore it.

No Love

Banned
He literally scours eBay and just looks at the cheapest cars first. And his current article about the E46 M3 isn't even correct, because it's an auction that has a high reserve. It could very well be set above the cost of an FR-S. And still, it would be a terrible idea. I'd rather buy a used BRZ/FRS and turbo it with E85 with the money I saved over this M3. Or hell, a used 370Z and turbo that.

He's just a HUGE believer of buying cars used. He would never, ever buy a new car. Ever. That's his motto. Which is fine. But he doesn't realize if you're good at buying cars, you can grab a car at a price where the dealer actually eats up the depreciation. Or buy a new car with a few thousand miles on it, usually at a $10K markdown (which I did). There are tons of ways. He's just clueless sometimes, or chooses to ignore it.

He's just a dumb, narrow-minded fool who really doesn't know that much about cars or what's good. ;p

Breh, you own an S-Class that has less technology in it than a mid-size loaded Altima from 2010. Calm down. Sometimes it just sounds like he's justifying being cheap.

I'm someone for whom new technology has very little attraction. All I look for in luxury are comfortable ride, quiet ride, quality sound system, climate control and heated seats. Anything beyond that isn't worth it for me, and navigation/touchscreen control systems are anathema.

Safety is another argument, and there are a couple of things that intrigue me, but for the most part new technology in cars just bothers the hell out of me.

Edit: Okay I see what you're getting at.

While I wouldn't call Jalopnik the cesspit of car blogs, a lot of the other stuff they do is filler or honestly, just uninteresting or in this case stupid. It goes back to what me and Alpha were saying a page or two ago... a lot of their readers are the average joes who are part of a hivemind mentality or stupidity so of course you gotta cater to your audience.

I still check Jalopnik every day, but it's mainly for the news, reviews and the weekly DeMuro articles. I think Auto-GAF and Miata.net are the only places on the internet I actually hang around and talk cars lol.

AlphaSnake

While I wouldn't call Jalopnik the cesspit of car blogs, a lot of the other stuff they do is filler or honestly, just uninteresting or in this case stupid. It goes back to what me and Alpha were saying a page or two ago... a lot of their readers are the average joes who are part of a hivemind mentality or stupidity so of course you gotta cater to your audience.

I still check Jalopnik every day, but it's mainly for the news, reviews and the weekly DeMuro articles. I think Auto-GAF and Miata.net are the only places on the internet I actually hang around and talk cars lol.

I only like Jalopnik because they tend to break news or come across leaks quicker than Autoblog, which itself is just full of articles with terrible errors and incorrect information.

No Love

Banned
I only like Jalopnik because they tend to break news or come across leaks quicker than Autoblog, which itself is just full of articles with terrible errors and incorrect information.

Autoblog is also one of the most boring, uninspired automotive news sites. The site design is awful.

Autoblog used to have a nice picture gallery, at least, now it's meh because you can't easily link to a full-size pic anymore.

They also aggregate news from multiple sources so I'll usually check them first to get a topical review of the last 24 hours. Their typos are god damn embarrassing though, and it happens all the time.

I like listening to their podcast because at least it's just a few guys shooting the shit about cars, even if each episode is basically "HOLY SHIT A BROWN MANUAL DIESEL WAGON WOULD BE THE BOMB", and Dan Roth literally having the wrong opinion about everything.

Speaking of which, any other worthwhile podcasts about cars anyone wants to recommend? I like the cartalk guys (RIP to the older brother), but their format isn't very appealing to me.

Also, 24 Hours of Daytona concluded a little while ago.

Congrats to the winners, that new Ford GT engine doing work:

Prototype Class:
16256690602_5129ef9585.jpg

Chassis: Riley Mk XXVI DP
Engine: Ford Ecoboost 3.5 L V6 Turbo

Prototype Challenge Class:
Who gives a shit?

GT Le Mans Class:
Chassis: Chevrolet Corvette C7.R
Engine: Chevrolet 5.5 L V8

GT Daytona Class:
safe_image.php

Chassis: Dodge Viper GT3-R
Engine: Dodge 8.3 L V10

797421732_1200263.gif

24 Hours at Daytona

Might wanna hold on to those American eagle tears... the Mazda Prototype, #07 lead the entire pack for maybe half a lap or two... lol.

10941852_642201439239517_234333025880688587_n.jpg

Note the #1 on the LED lights haha.

Anyway, yeah I agree with Alpha about Jalopnik's main content... it's probably best out of all car blogs out there. But some of the writers and the commenters... let's just say it's a bit better than YouTube and Reddit... but barely.

AlphaSnake

Autoblog used to have a nice picture gallery, at least, now it's meh because you can't easily link to a full-size pic anymore.

They also aggregate news from multiple sources so I'll usually check them first to get a topical review of the last 24 hours. Their typos are god damn embarrassing though, and it happens all the time.

I like listening to their podcast because at least it's just a few guys shooting the shit about cars, even if each episode is basically "HOLY SHIT A BROWN MANUAL DIESEL WAGON WOULD BE THE BOMB", and Dan Roth literally having the wrong opinion about everything.

My personal favorite Autoblog reoccurring snafu? Converting every fucking currency amount to US dollars. (Major gaming sites used to be guilty of this, as well, with console announcements).

Example:

The 2015 ABC 5.0 will cost £45,000 in the UK, ($67,600 USD). And then they go on about: 'is the car worth 67K when the comparable 5-series starts at $45K?' And no matter how many keystrokes, we the audience waste on trying to explain to them why economics don't fucking work that way, they continue to convert every foreign amount to a dollar sign. If I were a PR rep for car brands, I'd be fuming because they need to inform the average person and not confuse them by insinuating with baseless assumptions and speculation based on sheer ineptitude and stupidity.

Granadier

"The iPhone 6 is £619.00 ($928.745). Is it worth it when the comparable Galaxy S5 is $599?"

It really does make no sense whatsoever in any context.

paskowitz

Jalopnik has a IMO the best articles out there. Comments are hit or miss. I have actually had a couple really good discussions on the Oppo subsite. It is just like in school, you gotta know which kids to avoid and just avoid confrontation at all costs.

FStop7

Banned
What? Not even close, 911 turbos sound significantly different from their NA brothers. Turbos have a huge impact on the sound of a car's exhaust--no getting around that.

Yeah, 911 turbos sound totally different. Much quieter and none of that raspy roar.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Get a Laguna Seca Blue or Phoenix Yellow. :O

Stock and unmolested? Unobtainium. :(

It's a shame. Why are nice cars always beaten so often. And it's getting harder and harder the older they are. I was looking for over a year when I was searching for a good, not beaten, not rusty '93 MB A124 Convertible.

Yes; as the price drops, true enthusiasts end up competing with those who just want a "cool car."

How is everybody in the NE doing so far with the weather? I know it's early but we've already gotten a good amount and my rides aren't gonna like it. Damn 30 year old Honda's and their propensity to rust away to nothingness.

7IgioIfl.jpg

xk4Rczbl.jpg

I have a couple of covercraft custom covers on order but won't be done until march...ugh. At least it's the first winter for the CRX so it'll be fine...the Prelude....needs to get in the body shop asap. Rust is starting to take it back after 30 years of service and no real restoration ever done.

Rad Agast

After two and a half years driving my stock BRZ, I've decided to start fooling around with it.

First step is a tune. Ordered openflash tablet and I can't wait for it to get here. Since I live far away from a competent tuner (Kuwait) I've decided to go with this OST solution and learn how to finally custom tune the car myself. At least if I blow up the engine I know who to blame. I ordered a drop in filter also.

Next will be the Openflash Header and a Perrin 2.5 exhaust system. Once I finish this up I will see how it all feels.

If I'm satisfied then I'll stay N/A. If I start craving more power then I'll go the supercharger route.

Still loving this blue little thing.

Top Bottom