• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Snow doesn't hurt cars, just keep them away from the salt.

I know I just don't like leaving snow sitting there seeping into all the cracks and then refreezing over night. Used a leaf blower to blast off both cars and it worked amazingly well.

WseV39Tl.jpg

9sqJfpMl.jpg

Now i just have to wait a month or so to drive them again. Not going to touch the road until all the salt is gone. I hate having these old cars sometimes, but they are just too much fun to drive.

Evo X

Motortred Cayman GTS Ignition Episode

So basically the GTS is better than any 911 except the GT3 and Turbo models

Hey, they made the baby 458 Italia comparison I mentioned months ago in this thread!

Truly amazing car. I've driven so many great sports cars, but keep coming back to the Cayman GTS. It just feels so right in your hands and is the perfect balance of everything you could want in a sports car for the street. As recent cars keep bumping up the horsepower figure, a lot of other elements were lost, but the Cayman GTS brings them all back in a great package.

Now, I just need a spare $100K.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
By pretty quick, you mean slow as butt, right? Isn't that about what your M56 traps? And that's a big luxosedan...

My M56S stock (which is heavily restricted at the intake and throttle) traps 106-107MPH.

As is now, yes, my car traps 112MPH, tuned, de-restricted intake, but stock exhaust. For a 4000lb sedan, it is pretty quick. I even put a hurt on a Tesla P85 a few weeks on the highway (these cars leap off the line quick, but past 70-80MPH they slowly run out of power...figuratively and literally) Just the nature of electric cars, it'll be a while until they can perform extremely well above 100MPH.

Anyway! In a tiny little sports car like the Cayman GTS, it's still very quick because you have a greater sensation of speed and inertia (smaller wheelbase, sound, stiffness, etc). In my car you feel the surge of torque as it swells low-end, but on the highway you can easily find yourself cresting triple-digits not realizing it.

Evo X

By pretty quick, you mean slow as butt, right? Isn't that about what your M56 traps? And that's a big luxosedan...

Nobody is buying a Cayman GTS for drag racing. If you just look at numbers, you're missing the whole fucking point of the car and would be better suited with a Corvette, GTR or any of the dozens of other cars that cost less and go faster.

Oh, and I'd love to see a luxosedan keep up with a Cayman on curvy mountain roads without toasting it's brakes and under steering off the cliff side.

What? Not even close, 911 turbos sound significantly different from their NA brothers. Turbos have a huge impact on the sound of a car's exhaust--no getting around that.

Yea my Impreza is muuch louder than any STi that I have came across.

thats where my hope lays in a supercharger to keep the sound I love so much.

negitoro7

2015 WRX could be my next car, too bad I can't find one to test drive anywhere around here.

What are you guys' preference between World Rally Blue and Galaxy Blue? For those of you who have owned both, which color appears cleaner for longer and is less obvious with swirls? I've owned both black and white cars and want to change it up. WRB is classic Subaru but the Galaxy Blue is more mature and less common and I'm old enough now to not necessarily crave the added attention of WRB. I think they're both gorgeous colors.

AlphaSnake

2015 WRX could be my next car, too bad I can't find one to test drive anywhere around here.

What are you guys' preference between World Rally Blue and Galaxy Blue? For those of you who have owned both, which color appears cleaner for longer and is less obvious with swirls? I've owned both black and white cars and want to change it up. WRB is classic Subaru but the Galaxy Blue is more mature and less common and I'm old enough now to not necessarily crave the added attention of WRB. I think they're both gorgeous colors.

The swirls will stand out equally on both. I've owned all shades of colors. Basically silver or white are the only two that won't pierce your eyes with swirls.

AlphaSnake

As much so I love rare/different colors, white is by far the easiest color to own and maintain.

My Jaguar is Rhodium Silver and I'd say it's probably better with swirls than my Alpine White 335i Coupe was. The brighter the silver, the more it hides.

negitoro7

Hmm could consider Ice Silver Metallic too. It rains so much here in Vancouver that the car is constantly dirty in the Fall/Winter/Spring months. My white GTI is more frustrating to keep clean than my previous black Civic Si, but it has to do with the hatchback shape too.

AlphaSnake

Jaguar XE impressions are coming in!

Road and Track says its driving dynamics absolutely destroy the 3-series, ATS, C-Class, etc. It's best in class, as far as they're concerned. This covers handling, steering, powertrain, etc. High praise.

Watch the XE-S shoot to 123MPH in 16 seconds. It's properly quick. Weighs around 3700lbs, V6 3.0 Supercharged, 340HP, 8-Speed ZF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQjpw62p6U

XE-S Burnout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmdTZys3o4

Car has an open-diff, but through witchcraft and wizardry uses electronics to still leave perfect 11s all the way down. Absolutely fantastic.

Once enthusiasts drive an XE, it's game over for anything else in the class. You've been warned—start saving now
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/g6059/12-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2017-jaguar-xe/

Jackson

Motortred Cayman GTS Ignition Episode

So basically the GTS is better than any 911 except the GT3 and Turbo models

Nobody is buying a Cayman GTS for drag racing. If you just look at numbers, you're missing the whole fucking point of the car and would be better suited with a Corvette, GTR or any of the dozens of other cars that cost less and go faster.

Oh, and I'd love to see a luxosedan keep up with a Cayman on curvy mountain roads without toasting it's brakes and under steering off the cliff side.

Ummm. Yeah. You nailed it! At 4.4 at a stoplight it's quick enough to pull away from a lot of cars (though around here I see a new 458 Speciale or Aventador Roadster every other day). Lol

The acceleration combined with the exhaust note with the GTS exclusive "go loud" button (which IMO is one of the best exhausts I've ever heard) along with the torque feel due to its body stiffness and lightness make your launches feel special. Not incredible. But it's still lots of fun. I'll say 3rd gear is kinda amenic though (but 2nd goes to 80mph so you can drop it down for a quick highway pass). You're not winning any significant 60-130 battles though lol.

For me the GTS was the whole package. Amazing steering. Great clutch/shifting. Incredible sound. Luxurious interior. Good brand. Hot extrior. And compared to other cars that also offer all that in one package it's way cheaper. (911 GT3, R8, F-Type R, AMG GTS)

My buddy just ordered his Z06 with the Z07 package and plans to pick it up at the (Kentucky?) factory in spring and drive it back. We're going to the track for sure. It's the first modern Corvette I ever considered, but it didn't meet all those criteria I listed above even though it'll spank my track numbers.

I took my car out to some twisties Monday (was sunny and 60F) and man is it a dream to put into a corner. It's handling limits are way more than I dare to go on a public mountain road (and I like to push it). Dying to track it. Doing an autocross trial next month. I might replace my P Zeros and slap on some Michelin PSS's this spring though.

kharma45

Jaguar XE impressions are coming in!

Road and Track says its driving dynamics absolutely destroy the 3-series, ATS, C-Class, etc. It's best in class, as far as they're concerned. This covers handling, steering, powertrain, etc. High praise.

Watch the XE-S shoot to 123MPH in 16 seconds. It's properly quick. Weighs around 3700lbs, V6 3.0 Supercharged, 340HP, 8-Speed ZF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQjpw62p6U

XE-S Burnout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmdTZys3o4

Car has an open-diff, but through witchcraft and wizardry uses electronics to still leave perfect 11s all the way down. Absolutely fantastic.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/g6059/12-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2017-jaguar-xe/

Few UK reviews coming through now

It’s not quite finished. That’s the first thing to know. Jaguar has its ‘FeelXE’ strapline and is letting us do precisely that by driving the new car. But it’s not quite finished yet.

Should I buy one?:

As an enthusiast, you might well, because it’s good to drive. Jaguar’s intent was to give the XE the comfort of the best C-classes and the composure of a decent 3-series. To my mind, it exceeds both in both areas.

Whether it’ll win you over in other areas is still a point up for discussion. When full-production cars arrive we’ll know whether the XE is competitive or outstanding.

2015 Jaguar XE 2.0 diesel R-Sport review - Autocar

4/5

There are certainly bigger executive saloons available for similar money, but none handles as sweetly as the Jaguar XE. It’s also good value as a company car and has strong resale values, so is a fine choice.

Whatcar

5/5

Even as a prototype, the new Jaguar XE has the style, price, spec and driver appeal to be a real rival to the 3 Series and C-Class

Auto Express

They also reviewed the XE S, gave it 4/5

Although the numbers look good for the XE S, it just lacks the final edge of excitement that makes the best super-saloons so appealing. It’s not neck-
snappingly fast, but then it is over £10k cheaper than an M3, still great fun to drive and even better looking. And it leaves a nice space for a seriously hot XE developed by Jaguar’s Special Vehicle Operations team.

Auto Express - Jaguar XE S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uye-YQu3nvQ

One of my goals when I first stated tracking the car was to run 1:55 lap times on a stock car with street tires (sport cups). I'm happy to have hit that milestone which seemed crazy looking back on how I felt after my first outing. 11 total trackdays later, I'm happy to report I did it.

Racetrack is Thunderhill raceway in NorCal. Car is a 2011 C6 Z06 with Z07 package but without the carbon fiber aero kit (which i could really use... ), poly bushings since the stock ones gave out and camber plates for more camber. Rest is stock.

Looking back at my first track day I remember feeling very disappointed because while my times were respectable it's not where I wanted to be. Each time I went out, I continued to improve at both tracks (Thunderhill and Sonoma) and kept my focus on getting faster.

I encourage anyone to take their car to the track. You'll learn a lot about the car, yourself and generally what it takes to actually go fast. While it's not for everybody, it's certainly something anyone with a passion for driving owes it to themselves to do. Don't make excuse on why you can't go. Drop the ego and get out there. You'll have fun. Promise.

AlphaSnake

No Love

Banned

My M56S stock (which is heavily restricted at the intake and throttle) traps 106-107MPH.

As is now, yes, my car traps 112MPH, tuned, de-restricted intake, but stock exhaust. For a 4000lb sedan, it is pretty quick. I even put a hurt on a Tesla P85 a few weeks on the highway (these cars leap off the line quick, but past 70-80MPH they slowly run out of power...figuratively and literally) Just the nature of electric cars, it'll be a while until they can perform extremely well above 100MPH.

Anyway! In a tiny little sports car like the Cayman GTS, it's still very quick because you have a greater sensation of speed and inertia (smaller wheelbase, sound, stiffness, etc). In my car you feel the surge of torque as it swells low-end, but on the highway you can easily find yourself cresting triple-digits not realizing it.

Well, my preference would honestly be a 911 Turbo, but I do love the GT3 a lot and I'm enamored with small, lightweight cars (I've owned some of the greatest) so what I'm really looking forward to is the GT4. The GTS is great and all, but I personally feel like Porsche might outdo the GT3 with the GT4 and make one of the greatest driver's cars of all time.

Believe me, I appreciate the car, I'm just at the stage where I really enjoy the "do-it-all" supercars like the 911 Turbo etc.

kharma45

Odd that they're reviewing prototype cars that are about 6 months behind production stage. Jaguar has said there's still more fussing to be done to get this car 100% ready.

But it is incredible that prototype are getting such praise, though.

Yeah it is strange. Jaguar must have a lot of confidence in it.

The weight is pretty disappointing for all the aluminum talk, R&T got 3750 as well for the RWD V6. Still I like the looks and it seems to drive really well. Should be interesting on how sales pan out in the US, the F type is the only jag showing growth here and they really need the XE to pull people new to the brand.

The weight is pretty disappointing for all the aluminum talk, R&T got 3750 as well for the RWD V6. Still I like the looks and it seems to drive really well. Should be interesting on how sales pan out in the US, the F type is the only jag showing growth here and they really need to hr XE to pull people new to the brand.

Apparently the weight savings were offset in other areas, to deliver better attributes. Could be BS though.

ascii42

The only obvious competitor in terms of outright handling is the Cadillac ATS. But unlike the small Caddy, the XE isn't burdened by coarse engines or a dim-witted, inelegant transmission. Jag's much-improved infotainment solution is also worlds better than CUE, though still not as polished as MMI (Audi), iDrive (BMW), or COMAND (Mercedes). I look forward to getting those two — and the German competitors — together on a road somewhere down the line.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1501_2017_jaguar_xe_first_drive/#ixzz3Q9uMTlYx
CUE's probably the biggest detractor for the ATS to me. I liked the V6 in it. The only problem I had engine-wise was knowing that I could get the same platform with a V8 in the next Camaro. At any rate this new Jag seems great, and I like the exterior, but I'm not feeling that interior. Maybe I'll have to sit in one.

AlphaSnake

Apparently the weight savings were offset in other areas, to deliver better attributes. Could be BS though.

It's all very true. It's simple engineering:

In order to have a rigid frame, and Jaguar is boasting three of the most structurally rigid chassis' (XJ, F-Type, XE), you need more aluminum. In order to have a compliant ride with rigidity, you need engineering tact. Now with the weight you've saved using expensive metal such as aluminum all throughout your car, including double-dipping in key parts that directly affect ride characteristics and handling, you have to meet a certain standard for luxury.

For Jaguar that means two things: limit wind noise and road noise. And when you have a light car using aluminum, sounds tend to emanate into the cabin and resonate a bit more. So sound deadening materials and their use has to be increased. This is the sort of give-take engineers work on daily.

Some manufacturers, such as BMW, made incredible compromises with their current model cars. It's almost as if they just sat around and said: we'll use a steel platform, old school suspension geometries, and skimp out on using too much sound deadening and material quality. Because people will assume it's a BMW so it must handle brilliantly and have a nice interior.

Bzzzt. The press took notice. The current BMW 3-series handles poorly, is noisier, and often times feels completely soulless. Thus, Cadillac comes in with a new sedan and was able to easily take the crown away from BMW with the ATS by making sure to focus on driving dynamics. BMW, on the other hand, got complacent.

Enter Jaguar with a ton of Indian-rupees-converted-to-£ to spend from Sir Ratan Tata and no fucks given. Your end result is the XE.

And btw the current F30 335i weighs 3600lbs. A 100lb difference is pretty much nothing, especially when you get 40 more HP and 32lbs ft more torques. The F30 335i also requires 19 seconds to hit 200KMH (123MPH). As evidenced above, the Jaguar XE took only 16, which is a massive gap (we're talking bus lengths in the real world). That's a difference you'll feel day-to-day.

CUE's probably the biggest detractor for the ATS to me. I liked the V6 in it. The only problem I had engine-wise was knowing that I could get the same platform with a V8 in the next Camaro. At any rate this new Jag seems great, and I like the exterior, but I'm not feeling that interior. Maybe I'll have to sit in one.

Who cross-shops an ATS and a Camaro?

I've owned care with colors nearly identical to WRB and GB and I can say the GB was a headache. it showed all the dirt and any imperfection in the pain, in any light. WRB seemed to covers it up more but still needed more maintenance than a white or dark grey. but they do look good .

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well, my preference would honestly be a 911 Turbo, but I do love the GT3 a lot and I'm enamored with small, lightweight cars (I've owned some of the greatest) so what I'm really looking forward to is the GT4. The GTS is great and all, but I personally feel like Porsche might outdo the GT3 with the GT4 and make one of the greatest driver's cars of all time.

Believe me, I appreciate the car, I'm just at the stage where I really enjoy the "do-it-all" supercars like the 911 Turbo etc.

Have you seen the clip that showed the rear end? (yellow one)

6iFKZQa.png

MQ62q3E.png

link

It's all very true. It's simple engineering:

In order to have a rigid frame, and Jaguar is boasting three of the most structurally rigid chassis' (XJ, F-Type, XE), you need more aluminum. In order to have a compliant ride with rigidity, you need engineering tact. Now with the weight you've saved using expensive metal such as aluminum all throughout your car, including double-dipping in key parts that directly affect ride characteristics and handling, you have to meet a certain standard for luxury.

For Jaguar that means two things: limit wind noise and road noise. And when you have a light car using aluminum, sounds tend to emanate into the cabin and resonate a bit more. So sound deadening materials and their use has to be increased. This is the sort of give-take engineers work on daily.

Some manufacturers, such as BMW, made incredible compromises with their current model cars. It's almost as if they just sat around and said: we'll use a steel platform, old school suspension geometries, and skimp out on using too much sound deadening and material quality. Because people will assume it's a BMW so it must handle brilliantly and have a nice interior.

Bzzzt. The press took notice. The current BMW 3-series handles poorly, is noisier, and often times feels completely soulless. Thus, Cadillac comes in with a new sedan and was able to easily take the crown away from BMW with the ATS by making sure to focus on driving dynamics. BMW, on the other hand, got complacent.

Enter Jaguar with a ton of Indian-rupees-converted-to-£ to spend from Sir Ratan Tata and no fucks given. Your end result is the XE.

And btw the current F30 335i weighs 3600lbs. A 100lb difference is pretty much nothing, especially when you get 40 more HP and 32lbs ft more torques. The F30 335i also requires 19 seconds to hit 200KMH (123MPH). As evidenced above, the Jaguar XE took only 16, which is a massive gap (we're talking bus lengths in the real world). That's a difference you'll feel day-to-day.

The ATS has definitely not taken the crown if you're going by press, better chassis yes, but it's lost to the IS or 3er in comparisons. I believe the only one I've seen it win was a motor trend comparo on the 6cyl models. By the time the XE is out the refreshed 3 with new engines with increased hp and the B9 A4 will be likely close to release, straight line speed in the 6 cylinder class will all be very similar (btw the 0-200 is 17s, maybe a tick under, from my count in the auto express video). At most the Jag will have a 15bhp advantage on the new I6.

Ty4on

I know I just don't like leaving snow sitting there seeping into all the cracks and then refreezing over night. Used a leaf blower to blast off both cars and it worked amazingly well.

WseV39Tl.jpg

9sqJfpMl.jpg

Now i just have to wait a month or so to drive them again. Not going to touch the road until all the salt is gone. I hate having these old cars sometimes, but they are just too much fun to drive.
If you need anyone to warm up those cars or even just get off all the snow just call me and I'll fly over.
If I ever get rich I need a collection of Preludes.
Those Dutch reviews are making me want to learn Dutch.

AlphaSnake

The ATS has definitely not taken the crown if you're going by press, better chassis yes, but it's lost to the IS or 3er in comparisons. I believe the only one I've seen it win was a motor trend comparo on the 6cyl models. By the time the XE is out the refreshed 3 with new engines with increased hp and the B9 A4 will be likely close to release, straight line speed in the 6 cylinder class will all be very similar (btw the 0-200 is 17s, maybe a tick under, from my count in the auto express video). At most the Jag will have a 15bhp advantage on the new I6.

I do believe Road and Track have also preferred the ATS over the 3-series. Car and Driver may have too. All critics have agreed that the ATS is a much better handling car too.

Jackson

So I have new found respect and sadness for Aussie Auto GAF... The car prices there are insanity. For example... The price for a new '15 BMW M4 is $176,800.85 AUD. Converted from AUD to USD it's $224,085 USD!!!

That's the base price of a Lambo Huracan! How does anyone drive anything over there?! A $64,000 base car selling for $224,000!?! I get shipping costs... but come on! Even without the conversion rate $176,000... For a BMW?! I wouldn't pay that for an i8!

Even the mark up is insane!

Manufacturers Recommended List Price: $142,304.00
Recommended Dealer Delivery: $3,500.00
Luxury Car Tax (LCT): $25,176.00
QLD Stamp Duty: $5,130.00

$(KGrHqNHJE!FJ!kJE)OfBSWNTVb2OQ~~60_35.JPG

AlphaSnake

So I have new found respect and sadness for Aussie Auto GAF... The car prices there are insanity. For example... The price for a new '15 BMW M4 is $176,800.85 AUD. Converted from AUD to USD it's $224,085 USD!!!

That's the base price of a Lambo Huracan! How does anyone drive anything over there?! A $64,000 base car selling for $224,000!?! I get shipping costs... but come on! Even without the conversion rate $176,000... For a BMW?! I wouldn't pay that for an i8!

You should look up Israel...

AlphaSnake

*Checks*

I was about to freak out if it was like double... But the Sheqel is pretty weak. It's 715,000 Sheqels for a new M4. But that converts to $181,445 USD which is still completely nuts, but lower than Aus's conversion.

Yeah but that doesn't include the 100% tax on every car. Lol. So double that number.

Mohonky

Paying ridiculous prices for everything is a great Australian tradition. We like to take the price of anything in the US and then double or triple it.

Think buying the car is expensive? Then remember we pay nearly triple the price to fill it up also.

negitoro7

I've owned care with colors nearly identical to WRB and GB and I can say the GB was a headache. it showed all the dirt and any imperfection in the pain, in any light. WRB seemed to covers it up more but still needed more maintenance than a white or dark grey. but they do look good .

Thanks for sharing your experience. A WRB 2015 WRX passed me earlier at night, and it looked fantastic. I'm now leaning towards WRB for sure for my first Subaru.

Evo X

Paying ridiculous prices for everything is a great Australian tradition. We like to take the price of anything in the US and then double or triple it.

Think buying the car is expensive? Then remember we pay nearly triple the price to fill it up also.

Yeah, no kidding. I had a friend visit from Australia last year and he couldn't believe how cheap cars were in the US.

For as much as an M3 costs over there, you can buy a fucking Lambo here. One of the many reasons I love the US and don't want to move anywhere else. It's pretty much the best place in the world for our hobby.

Evo X

Here's another review of the Cayman GTS from a normal person, not some giant publication. Pretty good production values!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fgFlzF5po

It also unanimously won best driver's car from Drive's Australian division. Love the quote from the last few seconds. He mentions the different tiers they use when ranking cars and says "there's adequate, there's competent, there's brilliant, and THEN there's the Cayman GTS."

The GT4 is going to be godly. :D

Mohonky

I still cant get my head around the rear end of the a Cayman, no matter how it performs. It just looks like it melted into position.

Here's another review of the Cayman GTS from a normal person, not some giant publication. Pretty good production values!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fgFlzF5po

It also unanimously won best driver's car from Drive's Australian division. Love the quote from the last few seconds. He mentions the different tiers they use when ranking cars and says "there's adequate, there's competent, there's brilliant, and THEN there's the Cayman GTS."

The GT4 is going to be godly. :D

What does a Cayman's depreciation curve look like. Only way I can afford one of these is if the curve is steep.

TheContact

Looking to buy a decent all weather suv and get rid of my rwd sled I drive now. Friend recommended the RAV4. Reviews were mixed. Anyone have first hand experience with these? Are they good?

Top Bottom