• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

They are rare, only 3000 sold in the US. Far fewer remain today. The site FailWheelDrive linked to is by far the best resource out there for finding one. Finding one any other way would be sheer luck.

Here's some pics of my old one for the new page. I wish I had more pics of the interior, this car was really amazing for its time. 4WD, 4WS, intercooled turbo, ABS, discs all around. This thing came out in 1987!

You're in the US right? How was it to drive a RHD car over here?

I've seen one, sat in one, but have never driven one lol.

Also, the Jalopnik commenters are fncking hilarious. According to them 155hp/148ft-lb in the new Miata is not enough for a car that weighs 2200lbs smh. I think I'm finally done with Jalopnik's commenters, these poor schmucks have clearly never driven a car at it's limit.

Reven

You guys making me mad jelly with this Z06 talk. I need to hurry up and finish my degree and land a nice job so I can play on this level.

Evo X

I think I'm going to have to beat Smokey to the punch. I plan to buy this summer/fall.

Where do you live? Are your dealers marking them up at all? If you get one, would you track it?

Just curious. Not really planning on buying one. It seems like too much performance for street use at least for my abilities and purposes.

Smokey

You guys making me mad jelly with this Z06 talk. I need to hurry up and finish my degree and land a nice job so I can play on this level.

Houston.

They had one for 86k I think.. It was close to the MSRP. The entire thing screams power. The Stingray isn't a slouch but next to the Z06 it looked basic.

Where do you live? Are your dealers marking them up at all? If you get one, would you track it?

Just curious. Not really planning on buying one. It seems like too much performance for street use at least for my abilities and purposes.

if you're not buying it for regular track use then its a big waste.

Reven

Houston.

They had one for 86k I think.. It was close to the MSRP. The entire thing screams power. The Stingray isn't a slouch but next to the Z06 it looked basic.

Hard to justify buying anything else really, that Z06 is the performance deal of a lifetime.

Should be revealed at the end of the year in Tokyo or Los Angeles.

Jesus. Wtf does your uncle do? That's a $200K car. Hahaha.

It's a 2009 I believe, not new. He already had (and still has) a 2009 S550 as well, so once he sells that it'll be an incremental increase in terms of price.

Both he and his wife have very good jobs here in Silicon Valley (his wife has a new Land Cruiser, the things a tank).

asdad123

My girlfriends dad hit my car while I was at her house by accident.the car isn't even a year old. 2014 Grand Cherokee.

Drivers side fender dented and scrape and drivers side door scraped. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much to repair but Im not getting my hopes up. -_-

No Love

Banned

if you're not buying it for regular track use then its a big waste.

I'd track it 2x a month and would mod it immediately. E85 tune, etc. And daily drive it.

I'm in SoCal. Not sure if they're marking em up around here. Wasn't really gonna look til next year and 2016 model year.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Stopped by Chevy dealer that has been harassing my phone. Saw the Z06. They had it side by side by the Stingray

brehs ;_;

those tires....

10885494_10152771030773644_7288620962738314947_n.jpg

10407287_10152771753133644_8689500534221155524_n.jpg

Fap away.

AlphaSnake

Houston.

Let me ask you a question. The Viper and Z06 are virtually priced the same now. Both run about the same 1/4s. Pull the same Gs. Trap the same speeds. Similar interiors. Carve corners.

Which do you buy?

2014-Dodge-Viper-TA_Image-0010-800.jpg

2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-coupe-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

Which. Do you. Buy?

Let me ask you a question. The Viper and Z06 are virtually priced the same now. Both run about the same 1/4s. Pull the same Gs. Trap the same speeds. Similar interiors. Carve corners.

Which do you buy?

Which. Do you. Buy?

Both have hideous, gaping "dumb mouth" front ends with lights that are too tall looking, but the Viper recovers the styling further along and ends at the rear looking a bit like a Maserati. The Corvette is hideous all-round, so if I was buying, it'd be the Viper any day.

Also, V10 sound.

ameratsu

You're in the US right? How was it to drive a RHD car over here?

I've seen one, sat in one, but have never driven one lol.

Stalks are opposite, so the first few times I drove it I would hit the wipers instead of the turn signals. Rearview mirror is over your opposite shoulder which threw me off for the first few days. The normal limitations you think of aren't too bad if you just embrace it. No, sometimes you don't have good visibility turning left but it's workable.

There's also something to be said about the top trim levels of JDM cars in the 90s. The differences between it and the USDM GVR4 are interestingly substantial.

I've been really happy with my 2014 3. I don't know why sales are always pretty low.

The 3 came in late to the party. They got really good right after the Koreans started taking up huge marketshare of the economy car segment. The low sales are nothing to be concerned about though. Mazda can't produce the 3, 6, and CX-5's fast enough to sell them like hotcakes so there is that. But they've got a really good thing going for them and as a huge Mazda fanboy, I'm really really happy to see them succeed.

I smile every time I see any of the Skyactiv cars on the street, to me it means that the driver cares enough about the driving experience that they'd actually consider something else besides the boring Corolla/Civic/Focus/whatever else boring economy car out there. Well that, and the Skyactiv's look so damn beautiful, I actually want one just to stare at it everyday lol.

Which. Do you. Buy?

Difficult question for me tbh.

I love that the Corvette has finally grown up and shed it's "America Fnck Yeah!" image and has become an American sports car worthy to hang out in an European race track. But I also love the Viper's ridiculousness and I have a very fond memory of the time I drove a 4th gen Viper and almost burned the back of my legs since I didn't realize it had side exit exhausts lol.

Performance wise I'd definitely go with the Z06. But as a car to daily drive, to show off, I'd definitely go with the Viper. Idiots would try to race you because they think it's just a Corvette, but the same idiots would piss their pants at the sight of a Viper so yeah lol.

Stalks are opposite, so the first few times I drove it I would hit the wipers instead of the turn signals. Rearview mirror is over your opposite shoulder which threw me off for the first few days. The normal limitations you think of aren't too bad if you just embrace it. No, sometimes you don't have good visibility turning left but it's workable.

There's also something to be said about the top trim levels of JDM cars in the 90s. The differences between it and the USDM GVR4 are interestingly substantial.

Haha. What about shifting the gears? I was playing the arcade version of Initial D a couple of weeks ago and it felt so wrong to push the lever up and down with my left hand. I imagine I'm gonna be having a hard time when I finally import an RX-7 in a few years lol.

AlphaSnake

I'd pick the Viper myself. If only because of its savage looks. The Corvette can be made to have more power (but in fairness, letting an 8.4L V10 breathe with some mods would have an amazing effect too). Either way, what also gets me about the Viper is that it's more exclusive...it's rare. It doesn't have a lesser sibling like the Z06 does. It's also, arguably, has got a much better pedigree and past.

Corvettes have long been awful cars to drive, up until the C6 Z06 came about. And only now have they truly became amazing sports cars. Vettes are also sold in droves. Have had four bangers in them. There's just been a lot of wrong doing to the Vette nameplate.

The Viper on the other hand has always been a crazy barrel chested sports car with a stupidly big motor, stiff chassis, and a complete lack of electronics... since Dodge felt if you can't drive the car properly, you're better off dead. In any case, that's why the Viper does it for me. The exclusivity and the uniqueness of the car is a major plus.

Smokey

Which do you buy?

Which. Do you. Buy?

Z06. I have had a soft spot for Vettes for years. I'd consider the Viper though if it wasn't a cross shop with the Z06 because you don't see them that often.

Evo X

I'd track it 2x a month and would mod it immediately. E85 tune, etc. And daily drive it.

I'm in SoCal. Not sure if they're marking em up around here. Wasn't really gonna look til next year and 2016 model year.

Oh nice. Which track do you go to?

If you end up getting one, I'd definitely want to check it out. I'm in Chicago right now, but will probably be moving back to SoCal later this year.

I spent a lot of last year in Irvine. It was really nice, clean, and safe, but kind of boring for a young single guy. Biggest benefit was that Cars & Coffee was across the street from my apartment complex so I got to see some amazing cars every week.

I'd go with the Vette any day. The viper is just too much of that "more power fixes all my shortcomings" mentality. Plus, aside from the ugly side mirrors, I love the looks. it's the first Corvette since the C3 that I find aesthetically appealing.

I do agree with Alpha that the nameplate has had more valleys than peaks, which is a shame beacuse the word Corvette is so badass.

I do think the new viper is a good looking car, and I'd like to drive one, but I don't think I'd want to own one.

Jackson

Which do you buy?

Which. Do you. Buy?
The Viper is so ugly. I think one needs a mullet with a pencil thin mustache and satin baseball jacket just to drive it. Viper needs to stay in the 90's.

The Z06 looks bonkers in a hot wheels toy car kind of way that still works.

TCRS

Banned
They are rare, only 3000 sold in the US. Far fewer remain today. The site FailWheelDrive linked to is by far the best resource out there for finding one. Finding one any other way would be sheer luck.

Here's some pics of my old one for the new page. I wish I had more pics of the interior, this car was really amazing for its time. 4WD, 4WS, intercooled turbo, ABS, discs all around. This thing came out in 1987!

when mitsubishi knew how to build cars. good times.

No Love

Banned
I'd pick the Viper myself. If only because of its savage looks. The Corvette can be made to have more power (but in fairness, letting an 8.4L V10 breathe with some mods would have an amazing effect too). Either way, what also gets me about the Viper is that it's more exclusive...it's rare. It doesn't have a lesser sibling like the Z06 does. It's also, arguably, has got a much better pedigree and past.

Corvettes have long been awful cars to drive, up until the C6 Z06 came about. And only now have they truly became amazing sports cars. Vettes are also sold in droves. Have had four bangers in them. There's just been a lot of wrong doing to the Vette nameplate.

The Viper on the other hand has always been a crazy barrel chested sports car with a stupidly big motor, stiff chassis, and a complete lack of electronics... since Dodge felt if you can't drive the car properly, you're better off dead. In any case, that's why the Viper does it for me. The exclusivity and the uniqueness of the car is a major plus.

You're forgetting the C5 and C5 Z06. Amazing cars.

Oh nice. Which track do you go to?

If you end up getting one, I'd definitely want to check it out. I'm in Chicago right now, but will probably be moving back to SoCal later this year.

I spent a lot of last year in Irvine. It was really nice, clean, and safe, but kind of boring for a young single guy. Biggest benefit was that Cars & Coffee was across the street from my apartment complex so I got to see some amazing cars every week.

Usually Buttonwillow/Willow Springs. Maybe I'd head east to Chuckawalla by Palm Springs.

Irvine is boring as fuck, never really liked it that much, I think San Diego is a lot more fun than Orange County IMO.

Z06 if you plan to track. Better info out there due to more sales, bigger aftermarket footprint and cheaper consumables.

If cars and coffee are more your thing, then the viper will get more attention.

ascii42

4 bangers in a Vette? When did that happen? The Chevette doesn't count.

I've always heard the old vipers had lousy chassis, handled very poorly and were needlessly difficult and uncomfortable to drive. To be fair I've never driven one, but the one time I sat in a SRT-8 I immediately despised it. The seat was awful, the clutch was a mile long, the pedals were all in the wrong place and the shifter had some weird oblique motion to it. It was extremely disappointing.

Never a driver's car, but always an attention getter.

ascii42

I've always heard the old vipers had lousy chassis, handled very poorly and were needlessly difficult and uncomfortable to drive. To be fair I've never driven one, but the one time I sat in a SRT-8 I immediately despised it. The seat was awful, the clutch was a mile long, the pedals were all in the wrong place and the shifter had some weird oblique motion to it. It was extremely disappointing.

Like Adam Ferrara said on Top Gear US: "It's loud, the suspension's really stiff, it's horrendous on gas, but...it's a Viper"

Old ones had so much chassis flex that hard driving would crack the windshield. I did it twice to a buddy's. He got it warranTied but still.

You also had really bad tires back in those days. Little grip, lots of tracking and snapping when they would break loose.

Later on the ACR and such were fine becuase dodge figured a few things out and tire tech also advanced.

My buddy picked up a 2014 TA and it seems fantastic honestly. I'll update when I drive it through some backroads but having done a chase already through some local roads, it handled amazingly well. He's coMing from a c6z for referenCE and I was chasing him in mine.

A lot of it has to do with stigma. For example, people still think of vettels as straight line heroes when that hasn't been the case since the c5z but what can you do?

Just saw the sickest little roadster ever. A 2003 Z8 for 225k at prestige bmw in Ramsey.

The interior alone is probably nicer than 99% of cars out now.

Edit: oh man they have v8s? Jeez.

$128k new? Didn't know that either.

The 3 came in late to the party. They got really good right after the Koreans started taking up huge marketshare of the economy car segment. The low sales are nothing to be concerned about though. Mazda can't produce the 3, 6, and CX-5's fast enough to sell them like hotcakes so there is that. But they've got a really good thing going for them and as a huge Mazda fanboy, I'm really really happy to see them succeed.

I smile every time I see any of the Skyactiv cars on the street, to me it means that the driver cares enough about the driving experience that they'd actually consider something else besides the boring Corolla/Civic/Focus/whatever else boring economy car out there. Well that, and the Skyactiv's look so damn beautiful, I actually want one just to stare at it everyday lol.

Yeah they really nailed the looks of the new 3, 6, and CX-5. I've driven the SUV and it was a great experience too. I couldn't ignore all of the great reviews both the current and previous generation received both by owners and from critics.

ameratsu

Haha. What about shifting the gears? I was playing the arcade version of Initial D a couple of weeks ago and it felt so wrong to push the lever up and down with my left hand. I imagine I'm gonna be having a hard time when I finally import an RX-7 in a few years lol.

I'm left handed. If anything, it's more comfortable than shifting with my right hand. Again, you get used to it pretty fast.

No Love

Banned
Just saw the sickest little roadster ever. A 2003 Z8 for 225k at prestige bmw in Ramsey.

The Z8 is beautiful but it's a garbage car to drive. Got one of the best BMW motors ever but even that won't save it...

ascii42

I drove a little in Ireland a couple years back. My sister and I got the hang of it pretty quickly. The main issue we had was accidentally going from 1st to 4th instead of 1st to 2nd. In a car with about 80 hp, that didn't go well. Honestly the hard part was getting used to the difference in perspective due to sitting on the other side of the car. I probably kept too far left in the lane.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Those things are beautiful. It's like an etype and a Ferrari California had a compact baby.

vYJARSU.jpg

AlphaSnake

4 bangers in a Vette? When did that happen? The Chevette doesn't count.

My bad, I skipped a few words there. I meant to write "a four banger's power in them". Referring to the C3s which were heavily neutered and had massive motors producing 180 pathetic horsepower. Granted the whole industry was in the same turmoil, but C3s in general were considered huge stains on the legacy of the Corvette.

And imo the C5 Vettes are not very good cars, either. The Z06s with a lot of work made out to be decent track cars, but out of the factory they were just pitiful compared to what other makes were releasing. There's a reason why up until the C7 the phrase "for a Corvette" was always thrown around. The C6 was the first major step forward for the Corvette brand. But the C7 is the car that truly turned it around.

rokkerkory

I must admit... if there was a next sports car I'd like to get one day... prob be a P-car and prob the Cayman GTS:

Porsche_CaymanGTS_03-L.jpg

I don't care what all the haters say about the 911's baby brother being a girl car or whatever.

It is amazing.

Jackson

I must admit... if there was a next sports car I'd like to get one day... prob be a P-car and prob the Cayman GTS:

Porsche_CaymanGTS_03-L.jpg

I don't care what all the haters say about the 911's baby brother being a girl car or whatever.

It is amazing.

I'll be honest the only haters I've seen are 911 owner snobs. Not all 911 owners... The majority are cool, it's the minority snobs who care about 911 prestige over anything else. Regular car nuts are always loving this car.

The GTS is pretty much universally accepted by people that it's one of the best looking Porsches out there. I get compliments daily. And all the reviewers love it. It's a drivers car.

The "it's a dentist's car" or "a girls car" thing just isn't there anymore.

The average Joe has no idea anyway, they just see a really hot Porsche.

I'm so happy with my purchase. I get a lot of American muscle cars flooring it next to me though lol. Cameros, c6's, challengers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Z8 is beautiful but it's a garbage car to drive. Got one of the best BMW motors ever but even that won't save it...

I strongly disagree - I drove one for an admittedly short time, but it was a fantastic driver's car. Acceleration and torque are unquestionably good, but it handed beautifully too. The ride is harsh and rattly, and it's probably going to be rough on city streets, but for twisty roads and long stretches of highway, it's fantastic.

It's actually one of the most satisfying driver's cars I've ever had the fortune of sampling. maybe I'd feel differently after a week, but man, it's amazing feeling. And I've driven plenty of convertibles, but this one had the most rigid feeling body I can think of, without the flex and sway you feel in other 'vertibles.

Also, one of the most elegant, simple interiors of the last twenty years. This thing simply won't ever date. There's some nav and stereo stuff behind that aluminum panel.

1BOF8co.jpg

No Love

Banned
I strongly disagree - I drove one for an admittedly short time, but it was a fantastic driver's car. Acceleration and torque are unquestionably good, but it handed beautifully too. The ride is harsh and rattly, and it's probably going to be rough on city streets, but for twisty roads and long stretches of highway, it's fantastic.

It's actually one of the most satisfying driver's cars I've ever had the fortune of sampling. maybe I'd feel differently after a week, but man, it's amazing feeling. And I've driven plenty of convertibles, but this one had the most rigid feeling body I can think of, without the flex and sway you feel in other 'vertibles.

Also, one of the most elegant, simple interiors of the last twenty years. This thing simply won't ever date. There's some nav and stereo stuff behind that aluminum panel.

1BOF8co.jpg

I've driven one before and found it lacking compared to the E39 M5. The one I drove had the plate "BONDZ8" lol. That being said, the exterior and interior are gorgeous and classic. I just think it'd be outdone easily by, say, the 2nd gen M Coupe roadster.

ascii42

I've driven one before and found it lacking compared to the E39 M5. The one I drove had the plate "BONDZ8" lol. That being said, the exterior and interior are gorgeous and classic. I just think it'd be outdone easily by, say, the 2nd gen M Coupe roadster.

Well, that was the problem right there, it had previously been cut in half

twinez819il3.609.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Guys, that BMW i3 Super Bowl ad has a little easter egg.

The e-mail address in the ad, info@amfeedback.com? Send an e-mail to that address, you'll get something back. Click on the link provided.
Fill out the form and you'll have ten entries into a contest to win a BMW i3. I don't care how ugly it is, it's a free car, what have you got to lose?

Palpable

I own a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T. I'm a fan of American muscle. Specifically classic American muscle.

Here's my car:

10903625_878867645491007_1201860513_n.jpg

10914307_1400022216960736_273695755_n.jpg

More pictures on my instagram page. Feel free to follow.

This beauty is a 1970 Olds Cutlass. It's my uncle's. He had the 455ci V8 rebuilt and it's pushing 475ft-lbs of torque and 475hp.

10919551_1571522786425060_1822272199_n.jpg

My dream car would definitely be a resto-modded 1970 Chevelle SS 454 with the cowl induction hood to boot.

Flo_Evans

Man all these old cars are making me wish I had held onto all the cars I've owned over the years. I had such big plans for all my beaters lol.

Top Bottom