• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
How about old Z cars?

vH0lldg.jpg

Granadier

22 minutes of hype discussing materials and procedures that every other car it competes with do as well.

Meh.

2SeeKU

Yes, the thunderous note of the late 90's Ford Superduty Triton V10. It's the lamest 640hp in the world.

The same could be said about the LS motors. Here in Australia, some of our family sedans (Holden Commodore, Calais etc) have a Gen IV which is a 6.0L V8 producing only 260kw.

The same could be said about the LS motors. Here in Australia, some of our family sedans (Holden Commodore, Calais etc) have a Gen IV which is a 6.0L V8 producing only 260kw.

I don't mean hp/L, I mean sound. Its sound always reminds me of the Triton V10 out of the Ford Superduty. If you're paying $100,000 for a sports car the engine should sound exciting, the Viper's simply doesn't--or at least not as exciting as it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lK_b-5gerM#t=80.

Evo X

For contrast, a different sounding V10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpB1yR9Sz9Y

I drove the hell out of my brother's R8 V10 last month and revving that engine all the way to 8,700 RPMs never got old. It's so smooth and progressive, you just can't help yourself. Kinda wish he had the Spyder so you could hear it better though. It sounds much better from the outside than from inside the cockpit.

I would personally give best sounding V10 award to the Carrera GT. That thing fucking HOWLS. Sent shivers down my spine when I first heard it in person 9 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6o0bV3pmNI

Granadier

Your brother's a fortunate guy. The Carrera is one of my all time favorites.

I think it'd be cool if the glass pane in the R8 that separates you from the engine could be lowered somehow to hear that noise more.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, the Carrera GT is far and away the best sounding V10 ever made.

Maybe even top 5 sounds in general?

Makki

So the figures for the new Miata are finally out from Mazda:

I was thinking about switching since I used to have an NA Miata for 5 years... not anymore lol. Unless they do a Mazdaspeed version later I will not reward a cheap move like sticking a Mazda 3 engine into what you supposedly call a sport car, and I know how fun they are in turns from experience, just like I know how painful it is to be left behind by everything on the road except on downhills.

I was thinking about switching since I used to have an NA Miata for 5 years... not anymore lol. Unless they do a Mazdaspeed version later I will not reward a cheap move like sticking a Mazda 3 engine into what you supposedly call a sport car, and I know how fun they are in turns from experience, just like I know how painful it is to be left behind by everything on the road except on downhills.

Wouldn't a Miata be much lighter than a Mazda3, though? I think it was noted in the reviews on how the weight is actually in line with 1st gen models.

Yeah, the Carrera GT is far and away the best sounding V10 ever made.

Maybe even top 5 sounds in general?

I like to think that you mean top 5 sounds out of everything, not just engines. I think it might still be true.

Now I'm wondering something...who is your average Dodge Viper? What do they do? Where do they live? Just how many gold chains do they have laid out across their hairy chest?

I test drove a 2015 WRX, BRZ and Scion FR-S RS series 1. Fun weekend!
First the FR-S died on me during the test drive, dead battery. But the real problem was that Scion ruined what is normally a very good car. The lowered suspension is just harsh without gaining much in handling. The bodywork is ridiculous and very poorly assembled. There were gaps in places and some of the "carbon" wrap applied had bubbles. The main issue was the terrible TRD quad exhaust. It has a very loud and annoying drone at all rev except for 3K+.
The BRZ was a revelation. It was very sharp in handling, yet a smooth and compliant suspension. The stock exhaust was quiet and relaxing but still had a nice sound. It fit like a glove, low slung but with good visibility. It had plenty of power and I easily hit 90mph on a freeway onramp. It would be very fun on my favorite twisty roads.
The WRX was pretty amazing. While it is bigger and more powerful, it is nearly the same price as the BRZ. Yet it has a much nicer interior and materials. The real standout is the engine. it just has a huge wave of torque down low, so it just flies. While not as nimble as the BRZ, it still has little body roll and the AWD and torque vectoring really kept it glued in the corners. It was a much more all around car.
I am now torn between getting a WRX for an all around sporty car vs a cheaper unmolested FR-S for a fun weekend canyon carver. I have a Rav4 for hauling stuff and snow, so the WRX would be overkill, but it was so nice.

Makki

Wouldn't a Miata be much lighter than a Mazda3, though? I think it was noted in the reviews on how the weight is actually in line with 1st gen models.

They claim 1,000 kg which has not been verified AND thats with the 1.5L engine. That's lighter than all previous gens except 1st gen though. The car has the potential to have a really bad weight to power ratio compared to any other car on the market if the number swells up by release.

From what's been disclosed also the rev line seems to be at 6,500 rpm for the 2.0L. I love everything about the car except the potato driving the wheels.

They claim 1,000 kg which has not been verified AND thats with the 1.5L engine. That's lighter than all previous gens except 1st gen though. The car has the potential to have a really bad weight to power ratio compared to any other car on the market if the number swells up by release.

From what's been disclosed also the rev line seems to be at 6,500 rpm for the 2.0L. I love everything about the car except the potato driving the wheels.

I don't have the numbers with me since I'm on mobile but the power to weight ratio is only 1hp less than the Toyobaru twins.

Also while I do agree it's stupid that they seem to put the 3's engine in the Miata, as an NC owner I think it's more than enough. Sure it'd be nice to get more power but honestly after a little mods on my NC I've gotten in trouble more than a couple of times. All I did was lower it, stiffer shocks, and a lightweight muffler and it'll start oversteering at 3rd gear if I give it a little push. Then again my NC doesn't have traction control so that might contribute to the hoonage.

Either way, the power is fine as it is. And if you really want more, the aftermarket community says hi. BBR at the UK has already managed to squeeze 200hp out of the 3's engine and kept it naturally aspirated by just a few bolt on's. I imagine the folks at Flying Miata, Goodwin Racing, and Racing Beat already have something in the works.

Lol my numbers about the power to ratio were sooo off... I guess that's what you get when you read Jalopnik comments. Anyway, ran them through the calculator myself and these are the right numbers I think.

Toyobaru = 200hp/2758lbs = .073 hp/lb
ND Miata = 155hp/2300lbs = .067 hp/lb
NC Miata = 167hp/2542lbs = .066 hp/lb
My Miata = 168hp/2520lbs = .067 hp/lb

Numbers all rounded up, Toyobaru got listed since it's the only comparable car. Let's give the ND an unfair advantage, bump the weight up to 2300lbs due to the weight of the 2.0L engine. And for shits and giggles, I guesstimated the figures of my own NC... I know for sure that the muffler I have is 20 pounds lighter than the stock muffler, pair that with a very minor hp increase from the muffler.

Anyway, if my numbers are correct... the ND will be fine. I really don't get why people are clamoring for more power. It never was supposed to be an S2K competitor, nor a Toyobaru competitor either. Besides, the same thing apparently happened when the NC Miata's came out. People clamored for more power at the beginning, until they drove it and realized that the power is perfectly fine as it is.

Makki

The reason I whine is because they put in a more torquey engine with a lower rev limiter and I think the new model with its awesome visual design deserved more than just a drop in from another vehicle that was designed with economy and city driving in mind. WIll it be fun to drive? Sure, all miatas regardless of the crap power are and I experienced it firsthand with a 90 HP one, but it could be so much better... A higher RPM limit and 180ish HP should not be rocket science out of a 2.0L engine in this day and age, it just seems cheap to have such bland numbers from the heart of the car.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The reason I whine is because they put in a more torquey engine with a lower rev limiter and I think the new model with its awesome visual design deserved more than just a drop in from another vehicle that was designed with economy and city driving in mind. WIll it be fun to drive? Sure, all miatas regardless of the crap power are and I experienced it firsthand with a 90 HP one, but it could be so much better... A higher RPM limit and 180ish HP should not be rocket science out of a 2.0L engine in this day and age, it just seems cheap to have such bland numbers from the heart of the car.

All the more reason to look forward to a Mazdaspeed version. Anyway, I like it when little engines do cool stuff. More than the sum of its parts and all that.

Granadier

All the more reason to look forward to a Mazdaspeed version. Anyway, I like it when little engines do cool stuff. More than the sum of its parts and all that.

Hopefully they release one with a turbo.

A little Miata like that with a small turbo on it would be an absolute joy to drive.

Shapingo

The real standout is the engine. it just has a huge wave of torque down low, so it just flies. While not as nimble as the BRZ, it still has little body roll and the AWD and torque vectoring really kept it glued in the corners. It was a much more all around car.
I am now torn between getting a WRX for an all around sporty car vs a cheaper unmolested FR-S for a fun weekend canyon carver. I have a Rav4 for hauling stuff and snow, so the WRX would be overkill, but it was so nice.

What WRX did you drive? :) The Engine does not make boost in 1st gear.
It does have very good mid range however.

I would get the WRX (biased since I own a 2015)
for its overall versatility. Also the WRX is not good in snow at all............not with the stock summer tires.

rokkerkory

Man... was hoping they'd bump it up a bit... maybe they'll do that next year for a specialized version?

Needs to be 175hp or more these days.

It was due to really bad sales.

edit:

new Z06 beat by the Nismo GTR on willow springs, a short track, by 1.5s. kinda funny considering the corvette dorks thought it would break 7 minutes on the ring.

i'd be surprised to see it break 7:10 at this point.

Jackson

And those poor sales were partly due to the fact the new viper was beat on the track by the C6 Z06 lol. Which is horrible. You can't even beat a last gen competitor?

new Z06 beat by the Nismo GTR on willow springs, a short track, by 1.5s. kinda funny considering the corvette dorks thought it would break 7 minutes on the ring.

Nurburgring GTR Nismo cheated though by having a different track set up then the one offered to customers... Nissan got caught out by that and then offered a "track package" to add on to the GTR Nismo if customers wanted it to rectify that asterisks next to their track time. But anyone thinking anything but a hyper/supercar or mega focused track car is beating 7 minutes on the green hell is smoking some good stuff.

Viperbah

edit:

It's not touching 7:10 on a long track...they fall on their face after 100mph. I honestly don't know whats up with the c7 Z06...they are just not living up the the hype.

It lost roll races to a stock Viper, stock hellcat (lol) and a Zr1.

And those poor sales were partly due to the fact the new viper was beat on the track by the C6 Z06 lol. Which is horrible. You can't even beat a last gen competitor?

Zr1, not Z06...which set the production car record for that track that day only to be broken by a TA viper a couple of months later.

What WRX did you drive? :) The Engine does not make boost in 1st gear.
It does have very good mid range however.

I would get the WRX (biased since I own a 2015)
for its overall versatility. Also the WRX is not good in snow at all............not with the stock summer tires.

I drove a 2015 Limited with the CVT (auto transmission). It was very smooth. When I say down low, I meant at lower revs at 2nd "gear" +. It felt torquey, much more than my old 2002 WRX!

But anyone thinking anything buy a supercar or mega focused track car is beatin 7 minutes on the green hell is smoking some good stuff.

Yeh I kinda blame GM for this as they marketed this car as a monster and its not true.

It's not touching 7:10 on a long track...they fall on their face after 100mph. I honestly don't know whats up with the c7 Z06...they are just not living up the the hype.

Yeh I would not be buying a 2015 Z06. Maybe they'll figure out the heat issues with the 2016, but we'll see.

I kinda feel bad for the 2015 owners. Those who actually track have a crippled car. The rest, which is like 95% of owners who garage the thing, still think its the king and are in denial.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

What?

Post vids.

Top Bottom