• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Actually just found them. A stock Viper TA handed the Z06 its ass.

And a modded Z06 with upgraded pulley, headers, intake, exhaust couldn't beat a tune + exhaust Viper.

Genuinely shocked.

I still feel like praising the GT-R for putting other sports cars to shame is enthusiast anathema, yet it continues to beat the shit out of almost everything, and people continue to mock it and call it a computer, pigfat, etc.

No Love

Banned
Actually just found them. A stock Viper TA handed the Z06 its ass.

And a modded Z06 with upgraded pulley, headers, intake, exhaust couldn't beat a tune + exhaust Viper.

Genuinely shocked.

E85 Z06 will destroy a Viper. Problem is heat + 93 fuel is just not good enough. E85 = much cooler temps/way more power. Win/win.

I still feel like praising the GT-R for putting other sports cars to shame is enthusiast anathema, yet it continues to beat the shit out of almost everything, and people continue to mock it and call it a computer, pigfat, etc.

It's a masterclass in engineering. Some might say that results in lack of soul, but personally I'd argue the opposite.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

This is something I don't understand.

The Veyron is a fucking elephant, and yet it's the fastest game in town.
Venom GT isn't officially recognized.

The GTR and the Veyron both are examples of masterful engineering prowess.

Evo X

The Ferrari 458 replacement has officially been revealed. Look forward to more info at the Geneva motor show next month,

It's called the 488GTB.

3.9L twin turbo V8 producing 661hp and 561 lb-ft. Peak power arrives at 8,000RPMs so they assure it will maintain the Ferrari motor characteristics people love.

0-62mph in 3s, 0-124mph in 8.3s, and top speed of 205mph. 22lbs lighter and 2 seconds faster than 458 around Fiorano.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mohonky

This is something I don't understand.

The Veyron is a fucking elephant, and yet it's the fastest game in town.
Venom GT isn't officially recognized.

The GTR and the Veyron both are examples of masterful engineering prowess.

Weight matters less when talking top speed if thats what you are referring to with the Veyron.

Acceleration, well both are AWD so they get off the line quick.

Handling, the Veyron isnt exactly a monster in the handling department, its damn good for its weight but its not exactly as fast as other cars, it just drags then in on straights.

Less weight definitely helps with acceleration and cornering but once the cars have momentum sheer torque and power can overcome the weight it has to move about. Dont forget its also likely slipperier than a lubed up eel.

Mohonky

Nurburgring GTR Nismo cheated though by having a different track set up then the one offered to customers... Nissan got caught out by that and then offered a "track package" to add on to the GTR Nismo if customers wanted it to rectify that asterisks next to their track time. But anyone thinking anything but a hyper/supercar or mega focused track car is beating 7 minutes on the green hell is smoking some good stuff.

And Corvette use what is essentially track tyres for their lap times. They are practically slicks with fuck all use outside of racing. Put a more standard set of everyday tyres on it and see how fast the laptimes are.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The Ferrari 458 replacement has officially been revealed. Look forward to more info at the Geneva motor show next month,

It's called the 488GTB.

3.9L twin turbo V8 producing 661hp and 561 lb-ft. Peak power arrives at 8,000RPMs so they assure it will maintain the Ferrari motor characteristics people love.

0-62mph in 3s, 0-124mph in 8.3s, and top speed of 205mph. 22lbs lighter and 2 seconds faster than 458 around Fiorano.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks fantastic. The front, rear, and side intakes are big improvements, though I'm sure there will be purists who prefer the cleanliness of the original design a la 360/430. The LaFerrari-inspired front is an especially nice upgrade. Powertrain-wise, the specs are in line with expectations. An 8k RPM peak for a turbo motor is very interesting. They'll get the experience/feel right.

I want to know how they arrived at the name.

Jesus tapdancing christ, why is everyone going turbo?

First the Ford GT, then Porsche, now Ferrari, what next, Lambo?

I don't mind a turbo for fuel efficiency, or if ricers want to hear the funny "fwoosh" noise in their jetta, but I enjoy a good exhaust note from supercars.

Of any vehicle, supercars shouldn't have turbos, only because of the sound.

Why not a supercharger? What's wrong with that? You'd get pretty much the same performance, no lag, and a full on exhaust ear-blasting sound.

If this trend continues, we'll never get another car that sounds like the Carrera GT and LFA that everyone here was drooling over last page. Look at what happened to F1.

Jesus tapdancing christ, why is everyone going turbo?

First the Ford GT, then Porsche, now Ferrari, what next, Lambo?

I don't mind a turbo for fuel efficiency, or if ricers want to hear the funny "fwoosh" noise in their jetta, but I enjoy a good exhaust note from supercars.

Of any vehicle, supercars shouldn't have turbos, only because of the sound.

Why not a supercharger? What's wrong with that? You'd get pretty much the same performance, no lag, and a full on exhaust ear-blasting sound.

If this trend continues, we'll never get another car that sounds like the Carrera GT and LFA that everyone here was drooling over last page. Look at what happened to F1.

Like all manufacturers (over a certain volume of cars which I don't know the number of), Ferrari is subject to the ever increasing strictness of the CAFE (US) fuel efficiency rules. It's no longer a free for all. They have to turbocharge. That's why F1 is the way it is (development and marketing), and that's why those cars you mentioned are the way they are. There's no going back.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/ferrari-cafe-standards/

AlphaSnake

I liked the triple exhaust on 458 tho

That makes the one of you, breh. It always looked so ugly. Just like the rest of the car.

The 488 seriously fixed every ugly thing about the 458.

Now about that name. All of Ferrari's numerical names mean something. Often times indicating displacement + cylinder count (though not always). The 458 went from being a 4.5L V8 to a 3.9L V8. Yet it retains the "4" in its naming. And what's the new "8" for?

I'm assuming they're rounding up the 3.9 > 4.0L. And the extra "8" indicates the 8K RPM?

Granadier

Weight matters less when talking top speed if thats what you are referring to with the Veyron.

Acceleration, well both are AWD so they get off the line quick.

Handling, the Veyron isnt exactly a monster in the handling department, its damn good for its weight but its not exactly as fast as other cars, it just drags then in on straights.

Less weight definitely helps with acceleration and cornering but once the cars have momentum sheer torque and power can overcome the weight it has to move about. Dont forget its also likely slipperier than a lubed up eel.

By fastest I was of course referring to top end speed.

The Veyron actually is a monster on the track though, that's why I included it. The GTR weighs a ton compared to it's competitors as well, but it's still dominate. It all comes down to top notch engineering, and knowing exactly how to keep the power connected to the road.

For reference, the Veyron SS is #7 on Top Gear's power lap board.
GTR is #12.

--------

@the Ferrari 488
I for one, welcome our powerful turbo overlords.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
That makes the one of you, breh. It always looked so ugly. Just like the rest of the car.

The 488 seriously fixed every ugly thing about the 458.

Agreed - they sharpened the design in places where the 458 was soft and elegant. They did a much better job of adding aggression without going overboard a la Speciale.

Now about that name. All of Ferrari's numerical names mean something. Often times indicating displacement + cylinder count (though not always). The 458 went from being a 4.5L V8 to a 3.9L V8. Yet it retains the "4" in its naming. And what's the new "8" for?

I'm assuming they're rounding up the 3.9 > 4.0L. And the extra "8" indicates the 8K RPM?

I've learned that it's the displacement in cc's of a single cylinder.

Granadier

Nearly 40K for a Ford Focus.

No thanks.

Gonna take a while to disconnect from that stigma I guess. Ford Europe created fantastic cars for a long time, and now NA Ford is utilizing that mindset for their cars across the line.

~40k for a Golf is crazy as well, but they are both special editions that are so far away from their base model names.

El_Chino

It's called the 488GTB.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Laziest design from Ferrari yet? still beautiful, just not much different (aesthetically) from the 458 imo.

AlphaSnake

Laziest design from Ferrari yet? still beautiful, just not much different (aesthetically) from the 458 imo.

...that's because it's still the same car, essentially. The 458 is not yet ready for an overhaul, it's too new.

Couldn't you say this for any high-performance car based on an economy model?

Nearly 40K for a Lancer.

Nearly 40K for a Impreza.

Nearly 40K for a Golf.

Bahahaha I was just about to say this.

$40k for a AWD, 6-speed rowing clutch pedal car, that can carry a family and smoke a Mustang at the same time? Sign me up the fnck up!

Hopefully with the RS' introduction in the US, it lights a fire under Mazda's asses to bring back the AWD Mazdaspeed6 and a new Mazdaspeed3.

From what I've been reading the Mazda diesels in IMSA are doing really well for prototypes, so hopefully they bring a street version of that. Just drop turbodiesel from the prototypes and turn that shit up to Focus RS levels and there's gonna be a brutal war in the mid-size performance economy car segment.

And for the MS3, nobody who drives an MS3 gives a crap about fuel economy, so all they need to do is drop the existing 2.3L MZR DISI Turbo from the MS3's on the lighter Skyactiv chassis and it could best the Focus ST easily.

AlphaSnake

But Ferrari is labeling it a successor to the 458 though...

It's not uncommon for Ferrari to evolve their cars slowly. The 348, 355 and 360 were all evolutions of the same aesthetic. The 348 introduced a MAJOR leap forward over the ugly 328s.

It's really nothing new for Ferrari. Expect this design language to stick around until 2020.

FStop7

Banned
The 488 GTB styling is very phoned-in.

It looks like a 458 with a body kit meant to fool the casual onlooker into thinking it's an FLF.

AlphaSnake

The 488 GTB styling is very phoned-in.

It looks like a 458 with a body kit meant to fool the casual onlooker into thinking it's an FLF.

I hate to sound like a dick, but have you followed Ferrari at all? Or understand how the car industry works? There is a design language manufacturers stick to for nearly a decade at a time.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s every Ferrari from that period was basically a 512 Testarossa-lite up until 1995.

I don't get why people expected something radically different from the new 488? It was always going to be a facelift and new powertrain.

FStop7

Banned
No, I've never even driven a car in my life. What's the pedals do?

The F430 was the "reskin" of the Modena platform but managed to have its own distinct identity. The 488 GTB just comes across to me as lazy because of how much of the FLF there is in the "new" design.

And I actually don't believe you hate to sound like a dick... because if you did, you wouldn't constantly come across as being one. A condescending one, at that.

mkenyon

Banned
Couldn't you say this for any high-performance car based on an economy model?

Nearly 40K for a Lancer.

Nearly 40K for a Impreza.

Nearly 40K for a Golf.
Yeah, but those aren't Fords.

I hate the "oh I swear these interior parts are fancy, nevermind they'll break in 6 months" kind of chintzy look in modern Fords. It's all a facade that looks like it'll die in no time. The Impreza and Golf at least use higher quality materials, despite not being as flashy.

Fords, to me, are the same shitty cars they've always been, just covered up with cheap makeup that'll wash off in no time.

AlphaSnake

No, I've never even driven a car in my life. What's the pedals do?

The F430 was the "reskin" of the Modena platform but managed to have its own distinct identity. The 488 GTB just comes across to me as lazy because of how much of the FLF there is in the "new" design.

And no, I don't think you hate to sound like a dick. Otherwise you wouldn't constantly sound like a patronizing dick.

The 430s sheetmetal was an exception, and it also cost Ferrari a shit ton of money producing 430s. Furthermore, it needed to be done for the 430 because the release of the Enzo changed the design language of the brand. Fiat was none too pleased, as it forced every Ferrari at that time to borrow some Enzo aesthetics. The 458 is currently selling in droves, as are other Ferraris. Ferrari isn't about to mess with that formula and start shaking things up for no reason at all. They did the right thing: they added some proper aggression to a clean car and cleaned up any residual ugliness.

Jackson

It's called the 488GTB.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This could be the best looking classic Ferrari styling I've ever seen. It refines all the mistakes the 458 made while making the 360/F430 chassis look modern.

I absolutely love it. It looks like a combination of all the main Ferrari styling cues that's in everyone's head. Even the FLF has some goofiness to it, but this. This is going to be a classic.

AlphaSnake

This could be the best looking classic Ferrari styling I've ever seen. It refines all the mistakes the 458 made while making the 360/F430 chassis look modern.

I absolutely love it. It looks like a combination of all the main Ferrari styling cues that's in everyone's head. Even the FLF has some goofiness to it, but this. This is going to be a classic.

Jeremiah: Can I send you a PM? I've been meaning to run something by you

Smokey

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...the-2015-charger-hellcat-can-go-204-mph-video

Dodge says the 707-horsepower Charger SRT Hellcat is the world's fastest sedan. That's a bold claim, but now the automaker has some proof to back it up.
It recently released video of a Hellcat undergoing high-speed testing, confirming the previously-claimed 204-mph top speed. The test was done on a 7.5-mile oval. Engineers corrected for the wind by averaging speeds recorded along each of the incredibly long straights.[So how did it do? The Charger actually hit 206.9 mph with the wind, and 202.2 mph while driving against the wind. That averages out to 204.5 mph, meaning Dodge is right and the Hellcat is certifiably insane.

So how did it do? The Charger actually hit 206.9 mph with the wind, and 202.2 mph while driving against the wind. That averages out to 204.5 mph, meaning Dodge is right and the Hellcat is certifiably insane.

I mean...shit is crazy. 4 door sedan easily going over 200mh is pretty insane

DasRaven

The "beauty" shots are out after the SuperBowl commercial, and we can now confirm that the next Maxima is officially styling run amok just like the concept.

LINK

nissan-maxima_100499281_h.jpg

Top Bottom