• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Well, just hit 5000 miles on the BRZ and my clutch has started slipping, wtf.

I've never smelled clutch while driving it, never launched it, and I've been driving manual since I got my license.

I'm also pretty paranoid about shifting correctly, so this comes as a shock.

Anyone else ever had a clutch go bad on a new car?

My brother got his fuel pump replaced by Subaru because it was chirping, apparently it's a common issue here because of high ethanol content in fuel. He also somehow managed to get like $3k back from Subaru of America as well. Complain away. Subaru has great customer service, evidently.

Giggzy

A few days ago I decided I needed to trade in my Mazda3 for something a little nicer. I picked up this beauty:

dCQ7dqL.jpg

Its a CPO 2012 128i with 25k miles on it. I have the extended warranty on it for 3 more years, so I won't have to worry about repairs (besides tires) until then. However, I'm still planning on setting money aside every month to have a nice repair cushion for when the warranty expires.

Does anyone have some tips they can give me regarding overall maintainence to keep the car looking and running great? This is my first luxury car, so I want to treat it right!

TCRS

Banned
saw an S-Class Coupe today. didn't even realize it was one until it was past me. they all look the fucking same with that corporate eye brow smh. also it was in black which doesn't suit it very well imo.

TylerD

A few days ago I decided I needed to trade in my Mazda3 for something a little nicer. I picked up this beauty:

Its a CPO 2012 128i with 25k miles on it. I have the extended warranty on it for 3 more years, so I won't have to worry about repairs (besides tires) until then. However, I'm still planning on setting money aside every month to have a nice repair cushion for when the warranty expires.

Does anyone have some tips they can give me regarding overall maintainence to keep the car looking and running great? This is my first luxury car, so I want to treat it right!

Congrats on the new to you Bimmer!

My battery just died after struggling for a couple of days. Glad it did that sitting at my apt and not when leaving the girl's place at 5 AM this morning.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm going to show my wife this when she gets home. I don't think I would have ever said this in my entire time on this planet, but that is one sexy SUV.
It's a Hatchback masquerading as an SUV. Or as the industry likes to call them, "crossovers". :p

Anybody have any experience with Mini Coopers in terms of maintenance? Like can you actually work on it instead of sitting inside the dealership watching your wallet get thinner for each second that passes?

Before y'all ask, no I'm not trading my Miata in. I'm actually just looking for a beater/project car that I can learn how to wrench, be a mechanic and all that good stuff. My other choice was a Jeep Wrangler but someone in this thread told me to stay the fnck away so I'm too probably gonna do that.

Anyway, I'm also open to any other car suggestions. This is also gonna be a shitty weather car so no RWD unfortunately, AWD would be preferred but I'll take an FWD if I've got no choice.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anybody have any experience with Mini Coopers in terms of maintenance? Like can you actually work on it instead of sitting inside the dealership watching your wallet get thinner for each second that passes?

Before y'all ask, no I'm not trading my Miata in. I'm actually just looking for a beater/project car that I can learn how to wrench, be a mechanic and all that good stuff. My other choice was a Jeep Wrangler but someone in this thread told me to stay the fnck away so I'm too probably gonna do that.

Anyway, I'm also open to any other car suggestions. This is also gonna be a shitty weather car so no RWD unfortunately, AWD would be preferred but I'll take an FWD if I've got no choice.

You can't do a whole lot of work on MINIs these days yourself. They're BMWs, which means anything you fix, uninstall, or install requires coding to allow the ECU to accept that new part.

Quite frankly, the reliability of MINI has long been shit. Look up their JD Power 3 year reliability rankings - they are bottom 3 every year.

Smokey

Congrats on the new to you Bimmer!

My battery just died after struggling for a couple of days. Glad it did that sitting at my apt and not when leaving the girl's place at 5 AM this morning.

Leaving at 5a? Howe does it not make sense to stay over

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Did any of you see that thread over on reddit of the guy that fixed his hybrid battery pack DIY style?

It seriously worries me that now people are going to start trying to service them on their own like it's just an oil change or something. People could easily die.

http://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp/

/smh

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dude at work bought the Tesla S85D and is going to give us a demo of insane mode next week. I may film my reaction/underwear.

AlphaSnake

The sleeper of sleepers. So sexy.

They're beautiful and rare, but they're really not that fast, actually. My M56S is faster. An S4 with Stage 1 (ECU Tune) is every bit as fast as an RS5. Consider this, my friend has an S4 with ECU Tune, Intake, DCT Tune, Exhaust and Pulley (Full stage 2) and couldn't beat my Jaguar XF. In fact, I had half a car on him. LOL.

And my M56 is faster than my XF.

Granadier

They're beautiful and rare, but they're really not that fast, actually. My M56S is faster. An S4 with Stage 1 (ECU Tune) is every bit as fast as an RS5. Consider this, my friend has an S4 with ECU Tune, Intake, DCT Tune, Exhaust and Pulley (Full stage 2) and couldn't beat my Jaguar XF. In fact, I had half a car on him. LOL.

And my M56 is faster than my XF.

I was referring to the subtle differences between an A5, an S5, and an RS5. They aren't quite as bonkers as an RS6 or XF, but like you said they are still really beautiful.

That chain drive cam set though. I could listen to that for days. Mmmmmm

AlphaSnake

either your cars have a ton of mods or your friend can't drive.

a stock m56 isn't faster than a rs5.

I was referring to the subtle differences between an A5, an S5, and an RS5. They aren't quite as bonkers as an RS6 or XF, but like you said they are still really beautiful.

That chain drive cam set though. I could listen to that for days. Mmmmmm

Obviously. His M56 isn't stock. But it does trap higher than an RS5. RS5 is actually a pretty slow car.

The race happened against my Jaguar XF, which is stock. Not against my M56. His S4 dyno'd 365AWHP. But it weighs about 100lbs more than the Jag and is also AWD, so it has more drivetrain loss. I should also probably mention that the XF's 385HP is grossly underrated from the factory. It's closer to 400HP without a doubt.

But yes, my M56S is not stock. Stock they are EXTREMELY detuned, choked at the intake with mufflers (to silence the motor growl) and have very restrictive exhausts. Stock they run 1/4s around low-13s @ 107MPH on shitty OEM rubber with a 245 rear section. They also make a swell of low-end torque so launching them is a nightmare.

My car has the intake mufflers completely removed, which automatically converts the intake to a ram-air induction system. It brings back the motor's glorious howl and also really adds more to the midrange and high-end as the air gets stuffed into both intakes. Basically, instead of getting funneled through these tiny little narrow inlets from a plastic cover, that entire cover shroud and its inlets are removed, exposing the intakes directly to the air coming through the grille opening.

I'm on UHP Continental summer tires, extra sticky and lightweight. And most importantly, my ECU is tuned. Car made 400WHP/440WTQ on a dyno, but the tune can use some work for sure. Either way, no RS5 can touch that kind of power with no amount of N/A work. To top it all off, the M56 weighs less than the RS5. My car rings 4050lbs, which is pretty light for its size. Japanese engineering :)

As far as tuned runs, a fellow on the NICO forums with a tuned M56S ran mid-12s @ 113MPH....on chrome 22s and he also claims to weigh 275lbs. He ran with his intake mufflers on. But he has an exhaust. So factor that in.

You can't do a whole lot of work on MINIs these days yourself. They're BMWs, which means anything you fix, uninstall, or install requires coding to allow the ECU to accept that new part.

Quite frankly, the reliability of MINI has long been shit. Look up their JD Power 3 year reliability rankings - they are bottom 3 every year.

Does that also apply to the 1st and 2nd gen Mini's?

Though to be honest, I kinda don't wanna drive a tiny-ass car these days. It's hard enough to drive my Miata against all these douchebag trucks and texters all over DFW. A Mini will just make it more difficult.

I'm actually considering a Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series or a Toyota Taco truck instead since most of them are AWD and have a manual tranny.

Though to be honest, I kinda don't wanna drive a tiny-ass car these days. It's hard enough to drive my Miata against all these douchebag trucks and texters all over DFW. A Mini will just make it more difficult.

I'm actually considering a Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series or a Toyota Taco truck instead since most of them are AWD and have a manual tranny.

Yeah, don't get a Mini. They're not really that reliable.

AlphaSnake

Get the new Chevy Colorado. Absolutely gorgeous truck.

Get the new Chevy Colalorado. Absolutely gorgeous truck.

My friend and client, a GM guy, was teasing me (again) about me driving an Xterra and I said that had the Colorado come out with a short wheelbase SUV/Off-Road model I would have snatched it up in a second, and that that niche of the market is clearing up more and more with the FJ and Xterra bowing out. As it is the only GM product that met my requirements was the Tahoe, which starts at 15k above the Xterra and is quite a bit bigger than I'd like anyway.

Lo and behold, a couple of days after we had that conversation all the hubbub started up about GM toying with the idea of an off-road SUV model.

Anyway, the idea of an off-road SUV (actual body on frame SUV) based on the Colorado sounds so freaking awesome to me. They need to make one.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot how much the Colorado is. For a crew cab with 4WD you're already above a similarly equipped Nissan Frontier by a few grand. Reminds me of what you said about the Malibu, why does it cost so much?

Granadier

Too bad Toyota hasn't brought the Hilux to the states. I'd love to have a small little diesel pickup. With AWD or 4WD, that would be so much fun.

AlphaSnake

My friend and client, a GM guy, was teasing me (again) about me driving an Xterra and I said that had the Colorado come out with a short wheelbase SUV/Off-Road model I would have snatched it up in a second, and that that niche of the market is clearing up more and more with the FJ and Xterra bowing out. As it is the only GM product that met my requirements was the Tahoe, which starts at 15k above the Xterra and is quite a bit bigger than I'd like anyway.

Lo and behold, a couple of days after we had that conversation all the hubbub started up about GM toying with the idea of an off-road SUV model.

Anyway, the idea of an off-road SUV (actual body on frame SUV) based on the Colorado sounds so freaking awesome to me. They need to make one.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot how much the Colorado is. For a crew cab with 4WD you're already above a similarly equipped Nissan Frontier by a few grand. Reminds me of what you said about the Malibu, why does it cost so much?

I think because the powerful V6 is standard it drives the cost of options and packages up considerably. It's a $5K premium for an AWD model, which is insane. But at the same time, while I didn't break down the numbers, it looks like the car splits the small-size and mid-size segment perfectly. With the full Colorado, you have the bed of a mid-size like a Tundra and spare some change...or you can configure the car to be smaller like a Tacoma.

I'm actually curious to see how the pricing of the Colorado stacks up to some of the competition. A lot of reviews have stated that the truck blurs segments, which is why it won Motor Trend's Truck of the Year, among other accolades.

Get the new Chevy Colorado. Absolutely gorgeous truck.

I agree they're gorgeous but the marketing is so off-putting.

#YouKnowYouWantATruck

Those ads saying it's more manlier to drive a truck than any other car?

Like are you fncking kidding me? Sure if you have a small peen I guess, then yeah it's manlier to drive a truck.

I know I shouldn't let anything stupid influence my purchasing decisions, but a lot of people I've talked to agree that the Colorado looks like a nice truck, but you'd probably look like a douche in one thanks to the marketing.

But anyway, I don't know why I keep forgetting to mention this, but I'm actually looking for a used car. Mileage and tranny doesn't matter, although it'd be a lot nicer to be under 150k and a stick. But more importantly, it has to be less than $8k at the max as I'm only going to keep it as a beater car... you know drive it under shitty weather, grocery getter and room to fit more than 2 people kind of beater car lol.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just pick up an fail wheel drive econobox from the 3 bulletproof Japanese brands. I've seen a couple for $5k with 100+k miles and knowing they're reliable and ease to work on, they're probably still going to run until 300k miles which is more than enough for me.

ascii42

I think because the powerful V6 is standard it drives the cost of options and packages up considerably. It's a $5K premium for an AWD model, which is insane. But at the same time, while I didn't break down the numbers, it looks like the car splits the small-size and mid-size segment perfectly. With the full Colorado, you have the bed of a mid-size like a Tundra and spare some change...or you can configure the car to be smaller like a Tacoma.

I'm actually curious to see how the pricing of the Colorado stacks up to some of the competition. A lot of reviews have stated that the truck blurs segments, which is why it won Motor Trend's Truck of the Year, among other accolades.

Yeah, looking now, I think an extended cab work truck trim would be what I'd go for. That starts at $22,650. Not sure how many of those I'd actually find on the lot, but that strikes me as pretty reasonable.

What's confusing me is that the car builder at chevy shows a 2.5L I-4 engine as standard in the WT trim. Wat. There's not even an option for the I-4 or the V-6 so I have no idea what's what in there.

rokkerkory

So the Q60 will be powered by Merc FI engines?

Interesting... seems like Infiniti is really behind on the engine development then.

333hp V6 TT and 480hp V8 TT is rumored.

Top Bottom