• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Dave Inc going hard at GM.

LOL

It's really just the damn Tahoes, Suburbans and their clones. They're ridiculously overpriced, wasteful, and represent everything that's wrong with American car culture.

I'm still pretty gung-ho about some of the other cars from GM, they're doing quite a lot better than they have in the past and I'm glad to see it. They still have room for improvement, and let me tell you their management is where I'd start, but I wish them all the best in the future. I root for them a little bit because there are good people working for this company and I'd like to see them have the chance to excel.

mkenyon

Banned
Where I live, the true status symbol is a fully optioned 3500. But that's so you can pull your 3-4 horse living quarter trailer.

Went car shopping with a buddy earlier then saw this beauty:

198645d1380661097-2009-rx8-r3-brilliant-black-img_0494-800x600-800x600-2-.jpg

It's not the dealer pic but very similar, it was a Mazda RX-8 R3 with a stick. Has about 68k miles and is going for $17k right now.

The salesman could tell I was immediately enthralled by it that he offered me a test drive. I was so damn tempted but I politely declined. I pointed outside to my Miata and he knew why I said no haha.

I just got home a few minutes ago and immediately pulled up Autotrader/Edmunds calculator for some maths. $17,000 + $8,000(what's left on my Miata) - $10,000(Miata's TIV) - $3000 downpayment = $12,000. Split that up into 5 years then I'm looking at a sub $350 monthly payment which is close to what I'm paying for my Miata right now.

Fuck.

My dad holds the title to my car and he has fantastic credit... I might be creating a PowerPoint presentation tonight and see if I can somehow convince him of this lol.

[IG]http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/rx-8s-sale-wanted-43/198645d1380661097-2009-rx8-r3-brilliant-black-img_0494-800x600-800x600-2-.jpg[/IMG]

It's not the dealer pic but very similar, it was a Mazda RX-8 R3 with a stick. Has about 68k miles and is going for $17k right now.

The salesman could tell I was immediately enthralled by it that he offered me a test drive. I was so damn tempted but I politely declined. I pointed outside to my Miata and he knew why I said no haha.

I just got home a few minutes ago and immediately pulled up Autotrader/Edmunds calculator for some maths. $17,000 + $8,000(what's left on my Miata) - $10,000(Miata's TIV) - $3000 downpayment = $12,000. Split that up into 5 years then I'm looking at a sub $350 monthly payment which is close to what I'm paying for my Miata right now.

Fuck.

My dad holds the title to my car and he has fantastic credit... I might be creating a PowerPoint presentation tonight and see if I can somehow convince him of this lol.

I hope you mean 3 years? So you will be making 3 years of payments instead of the current 2 years. Seems very doable.

I hope you mean 3 years? So you will be making 3 years of payments instead of the current 2 years. Seems very doable.

Whoops... yeah 3 years.

Although 5 years on paper doesn't sound too bad either as it would be around $250 a month and that's without putting a downpayment, or $200 with a $3k down. But of course it's not a good idea to go by monthly payments so I'm not gonna do that, plus this being an RX-8 it's probably gonna run into issues even if I take really good care of it so the risk might not be worth it.

Anyway, I just got back from dinner and a quick spirited run with my Miata and it looks like that impulse buy feeling is starting to wear off already haha. I'll consider it and bring it up but even if I get denied I wouldn't mind at all. Honestly the only reason why I even considered it was the price, the useable back seats, and of course the screaming 9000rpm rotary redline.

2SeeKU

Whoops... yeah 3 years.

Although 5 years on paper doesn't sound too bad either as it would be around $250 a month and that's without putting a downpayment, or $200 with a $3k down. But of course it's not a good idea to go by monthly payments so I'm not gonna do that, plus this being an RX-8 it's probably gonna run into issues even if I take really good care of it so the risk might not be worth it.

Anyway, I just got back from dinner and a quick spirited run with my Miata and it looks like that impulse buy feeling is starting to wear off already haha. I'll consider it and bring it up but even if I get denied I wouldn't mind at all. Honestly the only reason why I even considered it was the price, the useable back seats, and of course the screaming 9000rpm rotary redline.

The RX8 is a nice car. I owned one (Series 1) back in 2005 to 2007:

Handling was very similar to the Toyota GT86. The only issue for me was the lack of torque. Still to this day, one of my favourite cars l've owned though. Throw on a cat back exhaust and a mazdaspeed (or AEM) intake and the car sounds amazing!

Nice colour choice too ;-)

Falch

198645d1380661097-2009-rx8-r3-brilliant-black-img_0494-800x600-800x600-2-.jpg

Fuck.

Isn't reliability/ maintenance costs quite an issue with the RX-8? I'd love to drive one but the horror stories are keeping me away from even considering one.

MisterNoisy

I called fake on that Audi R8 leak last week. Looks like I was right:

ocqlgznqkiepzsvjuz6v.jpg

This looks leagues better. The vents look awesome.

Those are the same shapes in the 'leaked' photo from a few pages back. Look at the cutline between the hood and bumper, the hard transition from the hood to grille and the shapes at the bottom edge of the bumper under the side inlets. Even the hex-mesh grilles are there. The only difference is that the white car was missing the extra plastic bits/vent details in the side inlets (possibly related to it also not having wheels on it), the rings and the brick on the nose for a license plate - all stuff I'd not be surprised to see missing on a preproduction car - the sheet metal is all the same, though.

kharma45

Nice!

So, it's got the same 610HP motor as the Huracan from the get go. That's a little surprising. I'm glad Audi aren't neutering it anymore.

Geneva Motor Show should be pretty exciting! Only a couple of weeks left before full reveals and road tests of the R8, 488GTB, and GT4. I'm sure there will be other surprises as well.

Well that model has it, but there is also a V10 with less power too.

Isn't reliability/ maintenance costs quite an issue with the RX-8? I'd love to drive one but the horror stories are keeping me away from even considering one.

Lol stay away from people who hate on RX-8's. Any jackass who tells you "apex seals bro!" "blown engines bro!" "flooding bro!" doesn't know jack shit about them and how to maintain them.

Those horror stories you've heard are from people who expected it to run like a standard engine, and honestly if you just read the fine manual, you'll know what it takes to take care of it. And thanks to the power of the internet, the car has been well documented to hell and back, it's impossible to fnck up an RX-8 unless you have an IQ of 10 lol.

From the RX-8 Club new buyer's guide:

Car mileage over 30,000:
- Replace Ignition coils
- Replace Plug wires
- Replace Spark plugs
- Clean MAF (mass air flow sensor)
- Clean ESS (e-shaft sensor)
- Reset ESS profile
- Clean power steering connections
- Clean battery terminals and clamps
- Replace transmission fluid
- Replace coolant (Mazda FL-22 is highly recommended, read this thread for why: Issue Many Are Ignoring: Most Coolants Contain 2-EHA (which 'eats' silicone))
- Replace air filter
- Replace brake fluid (fluid in the brake lines AND the clutch line)
~$300 USD in parts if you shop smartly.

Car mileage over 60,000:
...all above, plus...
- Clean all chassis electrical grounding points
- Replace accessory belts
- Clean OMP lines
- Replace rear differential fluid
- Replace thermostat
- Clean / Straighten AC condenser fins
- Clean / Straighten oil cooler fins
- Inspect catalytic converter
- Clean / Inspect intake valving
- Consider / inspect all points in 90,000+ as well, many items fail early
~$130 USD in parts if you shop smartly.

Car mileage over 90,000:
...all above plus...
- Replace coolant bottle
- Replace radiator hoses
- Replace radiator
- Replace front O2 sensor
- Replace motor mounts
- Inspect clutch pedal assembly for flex / weld breaks
~$900 USD in parts if you shop smartly.

This is also on top of the scheduled maintenance from Mazda.

Yeah there's a lot more care and money involved in running an RX-8 but you do have to realize you're buying a sports car. If you can't even afford the maintenance cost of an RX-8, then you're never gonna be able to afford a more expensive sports car.

Nice!

So, it's got the same 610HP motor as the Huracan from the get go. That's a little surprising. I'm glad Audi aren't neutering it anymore.

Geneva Motor Show should be pretty exciting! Only a couple of weeks left before full reveals and road tests of the R8, 488GTB, and GT4. I'm sure there will be other surprises as well.

Does everyone in the VAG use quattro, just under a different name? As in, is the Huracan's AWD setup the same as it would be in this, or could this possibly be better?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Those are the same shapes in the 'leaked' photo from a few pages back. Look at the cutline between the hood and bumper, the hard transition from the hood to grille and the shapes at the bottom edge of the bumper under the side inlets. Even the hex-mesh grilles are there. The only difference is that the white car was missing the extra plastic bits/vent details in the side inlets (possibly related to it also not having wheels on it), the rings and the brick on the nose for a license plate - all stuff I'd not be surprised to see missing on a preproduction car - the sheet metal is all the same, though.

The vents are a different shape here, they run nearly the length (width?) of the headlights. In the leaked pic, they were only about half-way. Also the headlights in the leaked pic didn't have the same bezel inside them.

Here's a video of the car that clearly shows off the front and its dimensions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6UfaU5ueo

mkenyon

Banned
Sooooo one of my coworkers got a brand new WRX....in automatic :|

CVT too. oh lord.
Lots of people really enjoy the CVT due to the paddle shifter mode. Apparently it works pretty well. I don't remember which review of it I read, but one of the jounros said they even preferred the CVT over manual.

I'd never, ever, ever, ever, ever make that decision myself. I'm just saying it's not as stupid as it first seems :p

MisterNoisy

The vents are a different shape here, they run nearly the length (width?) of the headlights. In the leaked pic, they were only about half-way. Also the headlights in the leaked pic didn't have the same bezel inside them.

Here's a video of the car that clearly shows off the front and its dimensions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6UfaU5ueo

Pretty sure that the wider/reshaped vents are just the shape of the black plastic applique - the white car doesn't have those installed. Either way, all of the other detailing being spot on makes me think the leaked photo is legit.

CVTs are the worst thing to ever happen to cars.

Truth.

I've driven the CVT and it is pretty nice. Fast shifts and it will hold the revs in a corner quite nicely. It can both be very smooth for commuting and aggressive for sport driving. Anything that is automatic gets shit on and this attitude is so played out. I have had my fill of shifting on my motorcycles, so a good auto is welcomed.

AlphaSnake

Pretty sure that the wider/reshaped vents are just the shape of the black plastic applique - the white car doesn't have those installed. Either way, all of the other detailing being spot on makes me think the leaked photo is legit.

Truth.

The leaked photo was put together based on the camouflaged car which exposed a lot of the little details. And seeing as how the picture quality was that of a potato camera, full of dithering, pixilation, jagged edges, and the like, it becomes more evident.

Like I said, comparing the two pics side by side, the vents are very clearly different in size/width. The leaked car's vents stop earlier than the actual car. The other pics and videos show us it goes to the bottom point/edge of the light.

second-gen-audi-r8-v10-plus-prototype-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

audi-r8-leak-instagram-1.jpg

It's 95% accurate, but that extra 5% seems to make a good bit of difference

MisterNoisy

Fair enough - I'll amend my agreement with the original assertion to say that the shrinking availability of three-pedal cars is the worst thing that's happening to cars. I don't care so much if people drive automatics (CVT or otherwise), I just want the option of a proper clutch, and that's going away. :(

I've driven the CVT and it is pretty nice. Fast shifts and it will hold the revs in a corner quite nicely. It can both be very smooth for commuting and aggressive for sport driving. Anything that is automatic gets shit on and this attitude is so played out. I have had my fill of shifting on my motorcycles, so a good auto is welcomed.

Fair enough. My experience with CVTs has been fairly bad, so it's good to hear it's better.

Not my cup of tea but eh.

ascii42

CVTs are the worst thing to ever happen to cars.

I guess they make sense in hybrids. Really I think the tech just needs to mature. I mean, in theory, it could be like the car is always in the perfect gear. We're not exactly there yet in reality. Doesn't help that they are usually connecting to small 4-cylinder engines, so the resulting noise is a bit like strangling a cat.

Makki

I guess they make sense in hybrids. Really I think the tech just needs to mature. I mean, in theory, it could be like the car is always in the perfect gear. We're not exactly there yet in reality. Doesn't help that they are usually connecting to small 4-cylinder engines, so the resulting noise is a bit like strangling a cat.

Regardless of the possibility of it being so refined it was always at peak performance, a car revving at a constant RPM will drive you mad no matter if its a V8 or an 4 banger. Going down a highway at a constant speed on a loud V8 will tire you out. The novelty of engine noise is lost when you dont hear changing pitches, it's the reason why people rev engines up and let off to show of, not just rev to 7k and hold from 0 to headache in 10 seconds

ShowDog

I dig RX-8's but they never made sense to me personally. They don't hold much value, so you don't want to buy new. And it's hard to buy used because you don't know how the previous owner treated it, no matter what they tell you. I'd likely own one right now (love the 4 usable seats) if it didn't have a rotary in it.

From what I can tell, the new R8 looks incredibly dull. Y'all think that looks nice? The R8 was always pretty conservative looking but this new one reminds me of when Dodge neutered the appearance of the Viper in 2003. Just super bland.

Regardless of the possibility of it being so refined it was always at peak performance, a car revving at a constant RPM will drive you mad no matter if its a V8 or an 4 banger. Going down a highway at a constant speed on a loud V8 will tire you out. The novelty of engine noise is lost when you dont hear changing pitches, it's the reason why people rev engines up and let off to show of, not just rev to 7k and hold from 0 to headache in 10 seconds

In the WRX, the CVT mimics a standard auto transmission with shifts. But I believe if you put it into the Sport Sharp mode, it will keep the revs high. I did not try that out but the middle, Sport mode was nice. "Intelligent mode" was bland and good for economy. But keep is sporty that is the point of the car.

Evo X

From what I can tell, the new R8 looks incredibly dull. Y'all think that looks nice? The R8 was always pretty conservative looking but this new one reminds me of when Dodge neutered the appearance of the Viper in 2003. Just super bland.

They haven't even revealed it yet. Calm down and wait for Geneva.

I'd bet anything it will look far more striking uncamouflaged in the flesh.

Jackson

I called fake on that Audi R8 leak last week. Looks like I was right:

ocqlgznqkiepzsvjuz6v.jpg

This looks leagues better. The vents look awesome.

Man... I still dunno yet. I think it'll look more modern, which it needs. But I'm iffy on the new TT design as well. Based on this pic and the camo pic, I'm not feeling it yet.

I bet V10 Plus will be $200k base... For the world's most subdued looking super car that's still just an Audi that's a tough ask. :(

If you want the everyday Supercar + prestige (and room for your kids) Turbo S is right there. I guess R8 is more special? I dunno. I have a love/hate relation with it's looks/driving feel.

Dat 488GTB doh...
heart-attack.jpg

Cayman GT4 killer? lol
Jake-Gyllenhaal-shaking-head.gif

I dig RX-8's but they never made sense to me personally. They don't hold much value, so you don't want to buy new. And it's hard to buy used because you don't know how the previous owner treated it, no matter what they tell you. I'd likely own one right now (love the 4 usable seats) if it didn't have a rotary in it.

I see what you mean, but honestly if your only intention for it is to drive it a few years then flip it, then yeah it's definitely not for you. It's actually tough to find a good used RX-8 simply because the ones who treated it right wouldn't part ways with it. But of course, some of these people can be forced by circumstance and you might find diamonds in the rough.

I actually found the listing of it online and Carfax looks clean, one owner from Florida and maintained by the same dealer until it was sold. But that's where an issue might pop up. Carfax says it showed up in a dealer auction back in 7/28/2014, some dealer bought it and put up on sale on 7/30 I don't think anybody bought since there's a gap between 7/30/2014 to 1/30/2015 which is when the dealership I visited probably put it up on sale. So there's like a 6+ month gap where this car probably just sat and didn't run.

I showed it to my dad and he told me to go check it out if I want so I might go check it out this Friday and see what's up. From what I saw yesterday, the paint was beautiful, maybe even pristine... it looks really brand new so either somebody detailed it or it's been garaged all this time. I didn't see the interior at all but from the pics online, it looks well kept too. I'm hoping to get a test drive of it and see how the engine responds. That's gonna be the ultimate factor in deciding if I'm gonna pursue it or not.

That said, I'm actually really hoping for this to be somewhat of a lemon, or somebody buys it before me, because I'm finding it hard to think of letting go of the Miata lol. It's just been such a joy the past 3 years of my life, letting it go would be like letting go of a dog or something like that. The replacement might be better and can provide the same thrills, but the memories of all the hooning and blood I've lost while working on it wouldn't be on the RX-8 for a while lol.

No Love

Banned

I saw the old R8 today in the parking lot of Phil's BBQ. Black and it was absolutely gorgeous. Nothing bland about the R8 at all... it's Audi at their finest.

Evo X

Is there anything more annoying than GTR fanboys?

Jesus Christ. I can't read the comment section of a single car related article or video without it being dominated by douchebags trying to explain how the GTR is better in some way or another than the car being shown. The worst part is I am sure a large majority of these people have absolutely zero experience with EITHER car, other than what they've read in magazines or played in video games.

Only other thing I can think of that comes close is the inevitable Corvette party that drives by with the whole "Fuck Yeah 'MURICA! V8" spiel.

fwoibles

The worst part is I am sure a large majority of these people have absolutely zero experience with EITHER car, other than what they've read in magazines or played in video games.

I was getting into an argument with a 13 year old kid about stats of different very exciting cars which by chance I had already driven and thrown around on the roads (not owned). A short period into the argument I thought "wait, this kid doesn't even have a license/why am I still arguing". Tiring stuff.

mkenyon

Banned

Jesus Christ. I can't read the comment section of a single car related article or video without it being dominated by douchebags trying to explain how the GTR is better in some way or another than the car being shown. The worst part is I am sure a large majority of these people have absolutely zero experience with EITHER car, other than what they've read in magazines or played in video games.

Only other thing I can think of that comes close is the inevitable Corvette party that drives by with the whole "Fuck Yeah 'MURICA! V8" spiel.
PC Gamers. Amirite guys? :p

Jackson

Yeah I've experienced it too and im pro GTR. Had a huge convo with a friend and it got old real quick. Lol

Worse still he was arguing the first year GTR cause the cosy was so cheap. I'm like sure but now it's $105k, still a Nissan and has been surpassed on the track.

PC Gamers. Amirite guys? :p

Come on now. These fnckin' console peasants arguing if the XBone is better since all games have AF whereas the PS4 doesn't... well shit, my bomb-ass master race PC can do 64x AF and TFMXSAA out of the wazoo and triple buffering that shit for a silky smooth 144 FPS on a G-sync monitor.

Am I doing this right? Lol.

gatti-man

I thought I'd share my new pickup. I had a carbon z06 but wanted something more extreme and didn't want to devalue the carbon. Picked up a 2007 Z with heads cam intake headers etc. 540rwhp 550rwtq. Thing moves. All I did was take it to LG and get it retuned and checked then threw some Michelin Super Sports on it.

Plans are to add LG G2 adjustable coil overs, drop spindles, larger dry sump tank, sparco Evo 2 seats and a harness bar. Maybe a 150 shot in the far future but as is the car is crazy fast for how light it is.

No Love

Banned
I thought I'd share my new pickup. I had a carbon z06 but wanted something more extreme and didn't want to devalue the carbon. Picked up a 2007 Z with heads cam intake headers etc. 540rwhp 550rwtq. Thing moves. All I did was take it to LG and get it retuned and checked then threw some Michelin Super Sports on it.

Plans are to add LG G2 adjustable coil overs, drop spindles, larger dry sump tank, sparco Evo 2 seats and a harness bar. Maybe a 150 shot in the far future but as is the car is crazy fast for how light it is.

C6 Z06 is probably the best bang for the buck around right now. Red is a great color too! Good pickup

I hate you and your nice weather.

If someone burned Michigan to the ground I'd be okay with it just to have one day in the past three months that was at least warm.

But that's a great car, you bastard!

AlphaSnake

Yeah I've experienced it too and im pro GTR. Had a huge convo with a friend and it got old real quick. Lol

Worse still he was arguing the first year GTR cause the cosy was so cheap. I'm like sure but now it's $105k, still a Nissan and has been surpassed on the track.

I love GTRs.

But I hate their interiors.

AlphaSnake

Congrats!

If someone burned Michigan to the ground I'd be okay with it just to have one day in the past three months that was at least warm.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better...it's going to be 28 in Central FL today.

But 80s once the weekend hits

Should've stayed in Texas. Up in the 60's right now and tomorrow and Saturday is gonna be around the 80's. But... It's gonna drop to the 20's next week. :(

Should've stayed in Texas. Up in the 60's right now and tomorrow and Saturday is gonna be around the 80's. But... It's gonna drop to the 20's next week. :(

Yeah we have some people going back down there and I'm going to another place in Michigan instead. Meanwhile I have two sports cars and a motorcycle sitting in my garage.

My rage is incalculable.

I might end up there later on in the year or I might just say "fuck it" and get a different job in California.

Don't take your miata for granted, dude, you got it made down there.

Buy one with an LS motor swapped into it.

Top Bottom