• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What's confusing me is that the car builder at chevy shows a 2.5L I-4 engine as standard in the WT trim. Wat. There's not even an option for the I-4 or the V-6 so I have no idea what's what in there.

Weird. It showed me that the V6 is standard. :|

So the Q60 will be powered by Merc FI engines?

Interesting... seems like Infiniti is really behind on the engine development then.

333hp V6 TT and 480hp V8 TT is rumored.

No, it turns out only the 4-cylinder turbos will be Mercedes derived motors. The V6TT is 100% Japanese. A 400HP and 450HP version. What's amazing is that I suspect these are both going to be smaller VR38DETTs (GTR engines). It would only make sense. So perhaps VR30DETT? The second coming of the VG30DET? :)

As stated on the last page, it won't be powered by Mercedes engines.

Correct

Infiniti needs Mercedes to design their interiors.

The new C-Class. Dear God.

While the new C-Class interior is striking, the interior of the Q50 is stunningly elegant and ergonomically pleasing. It's also responsive with no odd shapes anywhere. The C-Class has a problem with giant, chrome bezel vents, a stuck-on screen (that is arguably too small, as the black bezels take up a huge chunk of) and it doesn't have any touch capabilities. The Q50 has a waterfall stacked console, the top displaying the navi and prominent info, while the bottom being the main interface. And yet, still, there are redundancies in controls for things such as AC, etc. Having had a few Q50 loaners, they're very nice inside, especially if you option them with the nicer wood trims and seats.

Surely you mean the opposite?

LOL.

You don't think the new c-class interior is good/great/amazing?...

Car is about perfect other than the somewhat odd front grille shape.

New c63 is going to be insane.

No doubt the new C-Class is gorgeous and absolutely trounces the A4 and 3-series in looks inside and out. But the Q50 has a bit of edge over the C-Class, imo. It looks more refined, doesn't have one bad angle. The C-Class' rear-end looks very high every time I drive behind one. Rear visibility must not be very good. They did a great job mimicking the S-Class, but there are certain styling cues that don't work. Also, the side creases at the beltline and bottom of the doors? Bleh.

ascii42

Seems pretty straightforward to me. V6 appears to be standard on the Crew Cab long box WT. $1,235 option on the other two body styles.

edit: Wait, that's 2WD. On 4WD, the V6 appears to be standard on both Crew Cab styles, optional on extended cab.

Smokey

So I came across SaabKyle's 2015 Pagani Huayra video. Now we know this guy goes into every (unnecessary) single detail about cars in his reviews, but in this case it was actually useful because this thing looks fucking crazy. The body shots look amazing and you can really get a feel of the craftsmanship that goes into the car from the video.

So then I went around Youtube looking at other videos and came across this one of a guy driving with a camera attached to his hat. It gives a good view of the dashboard and the sounds....fuuuuuuuuck. If I'm spending that kind of money on a hyper car this is probably how I'd want it to behave.

The person who can guess why this almost became a colossal pile-up and accident gets a cookie.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb1_1423856893

HYUNDAAAAIIIIII DORIFTUUUUUUU

So I came across SaabKyle's 2015 Pagani Huayra video. Now we know this guy goes into every (unnecessary) single detail about cars in his reviews, but in this case it was actually useful because this thing looks fucking crazy. The body shots look amazing and you can really get a feel of the craftsmanship that goes into the car from the video.

I don't get it, maybe it's the lighting in the video but I think that everything being aluminum on the console makes it look ridiculous. Just a sea of aluminum, nothing stands out.

And an exposed, gated shifter for an automatic when you have paddles on the wheels? Superfluous and gaudy. Ugh and the leather straps for the clamshells. If they don't do anything don't put them there, it looks ridiculous.

I didn't realize how much I dislike Pagani's design philosophy, yuck.

AlphaSnake

"Zomg police officer on the side of the freeway!! I better slow down to 30 mph so that senpai officer doesn't get angry at me. I should probably stare at him while I pass as well so he knows I think highly of him."

That's what I thought at first. But look further down, a dumbass semi-truck driver cut off the left lane suddenly and caused everyone behind to slam their brakes.

"Zomg police officer on the side of the freeway!! I better slow down to 30 mph so that senpai officer doesn't get angry at me. I should probably stare at him while I pass as well so he knows I think highly of him."
Well some states are starting to pass laws requiring exactly that. Requiring ether that or try to merge into the other lane.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That's what I thought at first. But look further down, a dumbass semi-truck driver cut off the left lane suddenly and caused everyone behind to slam their brakes.

Hooooooooly shit, that is even worse. This happens far too often. I get cutoff constantly by them on the interstate. Not as bad as this, but still dangerous. Wish there were laws to control semis here like in Europe.

Well some states are starting to pass laws requiring exactly that. Requiring ether that or try to merge into the other lane.

Yes, there are quite a few laws about that. There is also the issue that if traffic slows down suddenly because of an officer it could cause a pileup like this. People are stupid, especially so on the interstate. That officer also should not have been on the traffic side of the stop vehicles.

ameratsu

Some places have enormous fines for passing emergency vehicles too quickly, and/or for not moving over into the left lane. I wouldn't fault anyone for slowing down to 50km/h when passing an emergency vehicle, but I would certainly fault drivers going 120km/h+ who are unable to slow down quickly enough. This is a $300+ ticket depending on where you're driving and how fast you're going.

Smokey

I don't get it, maybe it's the lighting in the video but I think that everything being aluminum on the console makes it look ridiculous. Just a sea of aluminum, nothing stands out.

And an exposed, gated shifter for an automatic when you have paddles on the wheels? Superfluous and gaudy. Ugh and the leather straps for the clamshells. If they don't do anything don't put them there, it looks ridiculous.

Yeah the inside is kind of ridiculous but at the same time...it's different. I'm not a fan of it either. But everything else is pretty sweet.

Some places have enormous fines for passing emergency vehicles too quickly, and/or for not moving over into the left lane. I wouldn't fault anyone for slowing down to 50km/h when passing an emergency vehicle, but I would certainly fault drivers going 120km/h+ who are unable to slow down quickly enough. This is a $300+ ticket depending on where you're driving and how fast you're going.

Yep, my dad got a ticket once for this because he slowed down to only 60mph on a 70mph highway when the left lane was clogged. Officer was pissed off.

Granadier

It's so ungodly dangerous to perform a traffic stop on a freeway. Probably more dangerous in the long run than allowing people to speed.

The cars are ugly as shit. Respek to the performance though.

Mohonky

Too bad Toyota hasn't brought the Hilux to the states. I'd love to have a small little diesel pickup. With AWD or 4WD, that would be so much fun.

I still cant get over the fact a Hilux is considered a 'small' vehicle in the US. What sort of land whales do you lot need over there?

Having said that, after my Dad's experiences with his work Hilux and his personal Prado, we've both been kind of hesitant on Toyota ever since and honestly if I were in the market for a new 4x4 with a tray, it'd probably be a Ford Ranger.

Hooooooooly shit, that is even worse. This happens far too often. I get cutoff constantly by them on the interstate. Not as bad as this, but still dangerous. Wish there were laws to control semis here like in Europe.

Yes, there are quite a few laws about that. There is also the issue that if traffic slows down suddenly because of an officer it could cause a pileup like this. People are stupid, especially so on the interstate. That officer also should not have been on the traffic side of the stop vehicles.

Oh yeah I definitely hate the law as it causes people to do stuff like in the video. The worst is when you have a cop on one side then like a half mile down there is another one on the opposite side. At that point I'm just like fuck it. Not worth trying to merge suddenly like that.

Granadier

I still cant get over the fact a Hilux is considered a 'small' vehicle in the US. What sort of land whales do you lot need over there?

Having said that, after my Dad's experiences with his work Hilux and his personal Prado, we've both been kind of hesitant on Toyota ever since and honestly if I were in the market for a new 4x4 with a tray, it'd probably be a Ford Ranger.

The land whales in question that are quite common in the states. Along with other equally large vehicles that are beginning to come out again now that gas prices are low.

ep7Jkov.jpg

Unfortunately they closed the Range plant a while back. Not sure if it's going to be coming back or not.

Oh yeah I definitely hate the law as it causes people to do stuff like in the video. The worst is when you have a cop on one side then like a half mile down there is another one on the opposite side. At that point I'm just like fuck it. Not worth trying to merge suddenly like that.

Looking back at the video, the semi driver probably merged/cut off because of the officer on the side of the road. Reason one why that law seems to cause more danger than solves. Officer should not have been on the traffic side of the vehicles.

mkenyon

Banned

My wife has 3 horses to haul, pick up hay for, as well as buy general building supplies for fence/barns/shelters.

Though she's a legitimate case for a large vehicle (longbed Tunda), that kind of ethic is pretty strong here in the states. Lots of people, even if they aren't actually rural folk, enjoy lying to themselves so they feel like the homesteader type. "I need the Suburban for kids to go to soccer practice and all the trips to Home Depot". :p

AlphaSnake

Is it common in the US to flash the hazard flasher when you have to brake hard or there is slow moving traffic ahead?

Some cars automatically enable them if they detect an emergency braking that slowed the car way down or an accident has occurred with that car. But yes, others will simply flick their hazards when there is sudden braking involved that won't come to a full halt.

ameratsu

Looking back at the video, the semi driver probably merged/cut off because of the officer on the side of the road. Reason one why that law seems to cause more danger than solves. Officer should not have been on the traffic side of the vehicles.

I disagree completely. It's the duty of motorists to be diligent in identifying hazards along the roadway and act accordingly. I have driven extensively on Canadian highways and the move over to the left thing is well understood and used, so police and emergency crews can safely operate on the highway because motorists are expected to reduce their speed and give crews a buffer lane. This is even informally afforded to vehicles stranded on the side of the highway because it's the decent thing to do.

How is this a difficult concept: don't drive 120km/h+ if you can't slow down safely when posed with a road hazard? It's your responsibility, full stop, to be able to deal with a huge range of hazards from police to road debris to inclement weather. Don't blame laws because motorists are driving too closely together or too quickly

Mohonky

The land whales in question that are quite common in the states. Along with other equally large vehicles that are beginning to come out again now that gas prices are low.

ep7Jkov.jpg

Unfortunately they closed the Range plant a while back. Not sure if it's going to be coming back or not.

I cant even begin to understand these vehicles. Big, heavy and thirsty; yet still, absolutely useless to carry stuff in and would be defeated by an evenly mildly rutted dirt track.

Where I live pretty much everyone has a single or dual cab 4x4 and everyone gets by. What practical use those things have I have no idea.

ascii42

I cant even begin to understand these vehicles. Big, heavy and thirsty; yet still, absolutely useless to carry stuff in and would be defeated by an evenly mildly rutted dirt track.

Where I live pretty much everyone has a single or dual cab 4x4 and everyone gets by. What practical use those things have I have no idea.

I wouldn't say useless to carry stuff in. You'd need a cargo van to beat this kind of interior space.

My uncle has had a couple Chevy Suburbans over the years, which are basically the same thing with a crappier interior and less bling. Really useful when we've gone on vacation in North Carolina. Easily fit the 7 of us and all our crap with plenty of power for the mountain roads.

Though she's a legitimate case for a large vehicle (longbed Tunda), that kind of ethic is pretty strong here in the states. Lots of people, even if they aren't actually rural folk, enjoy lying to themselves so they feel like the homesteader type. "I need the Suburban for kids to go to soccer practice and all the trips to Home Depot". :p

Or if you're in Texas... "I need a big truck/SUV coz I like to pretend I can do manly things. And no, the dirtiest thing my truck bed has seen was the used condom I threw in there when I fncked my secretary in the cab a few weeks ago."

Of course, I'm overly generalizing the Texas truck populace, but one of those things is true.

Granadier

Be honest. Unless you have a family of 12, you'll very rarely ever use the space available in a vehicle the size of a Tahoe or Escalade.

Those vehicles are status symbols, and that's it.

I disagree completely. It's the duty of motorists to be diligent in identifying hazards along the roadway and act accordingly. I have driven extensively on Canadian highways and the move over to the left thing is well understood and used, so police and emergency crews can safely operate on the highway because motorists are expected to reduce their speed and give crews a buffer lane. This is even informally afforded to vehicles stranded on the side of the highway because it's the decent thing to do.

How is this a difficult concept: don't drive 120km/h+ if you can't slow down safely when posed with a road hazard? It's your responsibility, full stop, to be able to deal with a huge range of hazards from police to road debris to inclement weather. Don't blame laws because motorists are driving too closely together or too quickly

Your point is valid, and that's the main reason the laws are the way they are.

But you also saw in the video exactly what happens when people treat it as an unbendable fact of life. It's not a black and white issue. Both parties were at fault. In rush hour or congested traffic, like what was present, there is no reason at all for the officer to be on the traffic side of the cars. Unless he has a death wish.

Granadier

It's like a poor man's Escalade.

A sure sign that you are a low payed realtor.

It's like a poor man's Escalade.

Nope, if you really wanna do right on this joke, the Chevy Suburban is the proper poor man's Escalade.

The people who buy the Tahoe are the people who are actually aware of what they're buying and understand that it's not all about the status symbol, well that, or they can't afford the Suburban lol.

I honestly see more Suburban's around here in DFW compared to Tahoe's. The only Tahoe's I see are the cop cars in my city.

Oh and random fun fact: The City of Arlington, TX where there is a GM plant that singlehandly builds all these SUV's we're talking about... their police vehicles are not GM products... they've all got Dodge Challengers instead. In fact, in the immediate surrounding area of that GM plant, my city is the only one that uses Tahoe's for their police force. Everyone else uses Challengers or the Ford Interceptors lol.

Nope, if you really wanna do right on this joke, the Chevy Suburban is the proper poor man's Escalade.

The people who buy the Tahoe are the people who are actually aware of what they're buying and understand that it's not all about the status symbol, well that, or they can't afford the Suburban lol.

I honestly see more Suburban's around here in DFW compared to Tahoe's. The only Tahoe's I see are the cop cars in my city.

Oh and random fun fact: The City of Arlington, TX where there is a GM plant that singlehandly builds all these SUV's we're talking about... their police vehicles are not GM products... they've all got Dodge Challengers instead. In fact, in the immediate surrounding area of that GM plant, my city is the only one that uses Tahoe's for their police force. Everyone else uses Challengers or the Ford Interceptors lol.

I was on the team that did the big press installations at that plant in 2013, with the press components so big that they had to shut down Abram between Cooper and 360 (150' long, 19 axle trailers are fucking rad.) [Aside: I forgot about this TV news clip about it from Arlington. I'm even in the video looking bored and listlessly holding a Texas flag! http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/01/1st-stamping-press-shipment-at-gm-arlignton-plant/

Anyway, the GM folks I worked with at the Arlington plant were very proud of the fact that they produced the most profitable vehicles in GM there--the Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons. Meanwhile I'm thinking, "that means I should never, ever buy one of these vehicles because they're extraordinarily overpriced."

Seriously, every time I see a Tahoe or Suburban I end up thinking that the person either a) works for GM or b) is severely brain damaged. Unbelievably terrible value for the dollar.

ascii42

I was on the team that did the big press installations at that plant in 2013, with the press components so big that they had to shut down Abram between Cooper and 360 (150' long, 19 axle trailers are fucking rad.)

Anyway, the GM folks I worked with at the Arlington plant were very proud of the fact that they produced the most profitable vehicles in GM there--the Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons. Meanwhile I'm thinking, "that means I should never, ever buy one of these vehicles because they're extraordinarily overpriced."

Seriously, every time I see a Tahoe or Suburban I end up thinking that the person either a) works for GM or b) is severely brain damaged. Unbelievably terrible value for the dollar.

Not really surprising as they are pretty much the most expensive vehicles GM makes. Basically just the Corvette and the most expensive Cadillac sedans are in that territory.

The profit margin on the Tahoe/Suburban is probably higher than the MSRP of some of GM's cheaper cars, but I imagine that's true of most of its competitors as well. It's not like any of them are particularly cheaper or better.

Not really surprising as they are pretty much the most expensive vehicles GM makes. Basically just the Corvette and the most expensive Cadillac sedans are in that territory.

The profit margin on the Tahoe/Suburban is probably higher than the MSRP of some of GM's cheaper cars, but I imagine that's true of most of its competitors as well. It's not like any of them are particularly cheaper or better.

Well the most expensive Honda Pilot starts for 5K less than the least expensive Tahoe. I don't know wtf GM is doing with that vehicle but it must be working.

Oh, it doesn't have a V8. I guess if a buyer is a man-child that matters.

IT'S NOT A MINIVAN IT HAS A V8 HAVE YOU SEEN MY PENIS IT IS HUMONGOUS!

ascii42

Well the most expensive Honda Pilot starts for 5K less than the least expensive Tahoe. I don't know wtf GM is doing with that vehicle but it must be working.

Oh, it doesn't have a V8. I guess if a buyer is a man-child that matters.

IT'S NOT A MINIVAN IT HAS A V8 HAVE YOU SEEN MY PENIS IT IS HUMONGOUS!

Well maybe if more minivans offered V8's people wouldn't think poorly of them :p

Anyway, the GM folks I worked with at the Arlington plant were very proud of the fact that they produced the most profitable vehicles in GM there--the Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons.

I'm not surprised, the few people I've met who worked there pretty much boast that they work there. To many it's pretty cool, but to car dudes like us it's just meh since it ain't the Corvette lol.

I kinda wish Toyota never did away with the supercharged Previa's. I've heard really good things about them once you give it proper mods and a tune.

AlphaSnake

I called fake on that Audi R8 leak last week. Looks like I was right:

ocqlgznqkiepzsvjuz6v.jpg

This looks leagues better. The vents look awesome.

eRzyyuz.gif

My brain says this shouldn't be such a thing and that I should hate every single piece of it but my irrational heart says fnck your brain this is the coolest thing to ever exist in the fncking planet!

The crazy thing is, I'm not even a fan of the retro muscle cars... but this... this looks so good that I actually want this now!

Mohonky

I wouldn't say useless to carry stuff in. You'd need a cargo van to beat this kind of interior space.

My uncle has had a couple Chevy Suburbans over the years, which are basically the same thing with a crappier interior and less bling. Really useful when we've gone on vacation in North Carolina. Easily fit the 7 of us and all our crap with plenty of power for the mountain roads.

Point about the carrying stuff is that anything you need that much space for, is likely to ruin the interior. You arent going to fill the back of a vehicle like that with building supplies, dirty bikes, fishing equipment or just any of the sort of equipment you'd traditional load up in the back of a pick up.

Unless you're frequently grocery shopping for a family of 12 I dont see how its practical.

ascii42

Point about the carrying stuff is that anything you need that much space for, is likely to ruin the interior. You arent going to fill the back of a vehicle like that with building supplies, dirty bikes, fishing equipment or just any of the sort of equipment you'd traditional load up in the back of a pick up.

Unless you're frequently grocery shopping for a family of 12 I dont see how its practical.

Fair enough. So what you're saying is this thing needs to make a return.
The bed's too short, and they were too expensive, but I actually did kind of like the Avalanche. Not sure what the market was for a Cadillac version, but I have seen a couple.

Top Bottom