• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

I was getting into an argument with a 13 year old kid about stats of different very exciting cars which by chance I had already driven and thrown around on the roads (not owned). A short period into the argument I thought "wait, this kid doesn't even have a license/why am I still arguing". Tiring stuff.

That seems to be the average maturity level of the typical Youtube commenter.

PC Gamers. Amirite guys? :p

Nvidia for life!

Bitches love GSYNC.

Yeah I've experienced it too and im pro GTR. Had a huge convo with a friend and it got old real quick. Lol

Worse still he was arguing the first year GTR cause the cosy was so cheap. I'm like sure but now it's $105k, still a Nissan and has been surpassed on the track.

I love GTRs.

But I hate their interiors.

I respect GTRs, but I don't love them.

They provide physics defying performance for not a whole lot of money, but that's where the appeal ends for me.

Let's be honest. It will never be fast enough to outrun it's own ugliness, the engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner, it's heavy, feels huge, and the interior is mediocre at best.

It's so performance oriented that you can't really play with it on the street. The turbo rush and godly grip are fun at first, but get boring once you realize the car is doing everything for you, which is no way to become a better driver.

You'd become more skillful tracking a spec miata than you ever would in a GTR.

I thought I'd share my new pickup.

Congrats!

Enjoy your endless torque in any gear at any speed.

Jackson

Bunch of amatuer photos taken with a boiled potato I think at a Ferrari Event of the 488GTB...

ywEIvNc.jpg

Z8NbA6W.jpg

5U1Me1n.jpg

wPPMutj.jpg

hs5maBi.jpg

And... Seb! With some guy?
arkT3Dh.jpg

A few more awful ones at this link http://imgur.com/a/R0Ysu

I thought I'd share my new pickup. I had a carbon z06 but wanted something more extreme and didn't want to devalue the carbon. Picked up a 2007 Z with heads cam intake headers etc. 540rwhp 550rwtq. Thing moves. All I did was take it to LG and get it retuned and checked then threw some Michelin Super Sports on it.

Plans are to add LG G2 adjustable coil overs, drop spindles, larger dry sump tank, sparco Evo 2 seats and a harness bar. Maybe a 150 shot in the far future but as is the car is crazy fast for how light it is.

Congrats! If you're in NorCal, let's do some trackdays together. If you're gonna track it you will want poly bushings and camber kit. The rubber bushings lasted like 4 trackdays...

My stock 2011 z dyno'd at 450hp and 440tq. Thats a nice bump!

gatti-man

Congrats! If you're in NorCal, let's do some trackdays together. If you're gonna track it you will want poly bushings and camber kit. The rubber bushings lasted like 4 trackdays...

My stock 2011 z dyno'd at 450hp and 440tq. Thats a nice bump!
I live in Austin Texas but I do plan on tracking the z06. However it may be a while since its behind my Ducati and R6 for track time

I live in Austin Texas but I do plan on tracking the z06. However it may be a while since its behind my Ducati and R6 for track time

Nice! I raced bikes locally (R1 & R6) for a couple of years but then eventually sold them off to make sure my body would make it to the later years :)

Enjoy the car, the Duc and the R6. Good problems to have.

thespot84

What kind of Ferrari are you looking to buy?

the one with android auto

REAL POST:

so in short I've been driving a 2000 Lexus es300 for 10 years, 155k miles. I have no car payment and until recently it's been running fine. There's something wrong with my VVT/OCV, causing misfires. I often run out of power and vacuum (even effecting the breaks) and it might be putting gas through the catalytic converter (which is running at low efficiency according to my odb app). This might cost $1,000-$3000 to fix, depending on my catalytic converter.

If the car were running I could sell it for $3k-5k. If I trade it in not running I have no clue what I'll get.

So I'm entertaining the idea of something new(er), but my problem is that I've become very used to a 6cyl engine. My car as 212 HP, and I know newer small and mid size sedans have fancy 4cyls that push out even more power, so my first question is, do I need to bother with the extra cash ($7k or so) to get a 6cyl engine? Will i notice a difference? Will everything out there be more awesome just because it's that much newer?

That's not near specific enough for anyone to give you worthwhile advice without starting at Vehicles 101. What you should do if you're considering a purchase is go to a dealer and test drive some new and used cars, see what you like, what works for you, etc., then come back here and say "I liked these cars, which do you all have experience with?"

Personally, if the rest of your car is in decent condition, fix it. And if you have to replace the catalytic converter, go with an aftermarket one instead of the OEM. OEM units tend to be insanely overpriced.

Edit: Looks like OCV issues are pretty common with Lexuses and are cheap to fix. $100 in parts plus a few hours of your time. Yours could be something completely different though, so take that with a grain of salt.

So after mulling about it all day yesterday I decided to not even look at that RX-8. I've looked at my financials, it's reliability, cost to maintain, and all that, and while it was certainly doable it came down to 3 things.

One, is that 6+ month of missing information in the Carfax. I know Carfax isn't 100% and if this was a regular car, I wouldn't be worried about it, but it being a rotary, the advice I've gotten from a few RX-8 owners is that it's crucial to know what happened during that gap. If it was running, then great. If not, that's a bright red flag right there and either way I'd still need to know what happened.

Two, it's too expensive. $17K for a 68k mileage RX-8 is highway robbery apparently. In fact it's $5K more than it's worth... KBB, Edmunds, and Cars.com estimates the car to be $12K for a very pristine 68k mile RX-8. I've talked to the same owners and they agree it's too expensive, and their general opinion was that they'd price it at $10K due to the market value plus that 6-month gap.

3rd, the answer is always Miata. Took her out for a spirited drive, and basically realized what I'd be missing if I traded her in. That raunchy exhaust, slick-shifter, and superb cornering abilities. Sure, I can get them in the RX-8 as well but I'd have to start over to get those awesome abilities.

So what I'm doing instead, I'm just gonna make my Miata go faster lol. For the moment, I'm planning an intake/header/midpipe/ECUTek tune upgrade, but a couple of companies are in the race for a low cost FI solution, so I'll be checking that out as well.

fwoibles

'ello. For those interested pictures of the front and back from a postcard Ferrari gave out when presenting the new 488 GTB in Maranello/Fiorano last week to buyers.

img_20150223_142850_hutunz.jpg

img_20150223_142925_h2fu3u.jpg

Taborcarn

Does it seem weird to anyone else that even though the 2016 Mazda 6's are already starting to show up on dealer lots, there is no mention of it at all on the main Mazda USA site?

I wanted to build one up in the configurator to see the standard feature changes and only the 2015 is an option. There aren't even any stock photos of the 2016, even though dealership sites are showing a couple in their inventories.

Makki

Old people dont like change, Cadillac has to cater to their customer base. Surprised Cadillacs, Buicks and Lincolns dont come with an 8 track player standard.

ascii42

Uhhh...is that the new CT6?

Because that is downright lazy. Truly terrible.

I guess they like the "same sausage different lengths mantra". I mean, it looks fine, but from their concepts we know they can do something more interesting. Hopefully they go more interesting with a CT7 or CT8 or whatever.

ascii42

do they even really sell that well to warrant that level of catering? (Buick and Lincoln)

Buick sells a lot more than Lincoln. More than Cadillac, actually.
According to this list, Buick sold 228,963 in the US last year, compared to 170,750 Cadillacs and 94,474 Lincolns. Buick sold over 900,000 cars in China last year though, so that's who they really cater to.

Uhhh...is that the new CT6?

Because that is downright lazy. Truly terrible.

Can't make out much detail here, but I wouldn't expect to see a big difference in styling between the new CTS and the CT6. I mean Cadillac just went through a decent facelift with the ATS and CTS, why modify the design language again so soon?

It doesn't really excite me, but neither does the A8 or the BMW 7, so whatever. Now that I say it, I think it's more striking than the A8 or the 7.

Buick sells a lot more than Lincoln. More than Cadillac, actually.
According to this list, Buick sold 228,963 in the US last year, compared to 170,750 Cadillacs and 94,474 Lincolns. Buick sold over 900,000 cars in China last year though, so that's who they really cater to.

where the hell are these cars going?

and china? wat
dont they ride mostly motorcycles there?

ascii42

where the hell are these cars going?

and china? wat
dont they ride mostly motorcycles there?

I think a good number of people in China who own cars have someone else drive them. So it makes sense that big Buicks would be popular. It's also why long-wheelbase versions of the 3-series, C Class, and ATS exist there.

Futureman

basically I need advice on "Minor body work on a leased car."

so I am leasing a Dodge Dart. I'm about 9 months into a 24 month lease.

Some time in the last few weeks someone side-swiped my car when it was parked. This is above the back wheel on the driver's side.

dart.JPG

It's pretty much barely noticeable but my dad checked it out and thought it would be around $1,500 to fix. I'm taking it to the dealer's body shop later this week for an estimate.

I'm guessing the sentiment will be "DON'T TAKE IT TO THE DEALER" but I'm thinking, "Does that matter so much?" I'm guessing it will be $1,000+ anywhere so I'm going to want to use my insurance and will have to pay my $500 deductible regardless.

also... if I do intend to buy the car after the lease is up, what if I don't get this fixed? It's a minor enough scrap to me that I would rather save the $500 and my insurance not go up, but maybe I should just get it fixed and not have to worry.

Be sure to check with your insurance first. Since they are paying, they may have specific body shops other than the dealer. Even if you will keep it, get it fixed. I think I see rust forming already and you don't want that to spread.

Futureman

yea there's def some rust starting to form. I don't think my insurance has any restrictions on the body shop, but I'll probably take it to one more place to get a quote so I can at least have two.

yea there's def some rust starting to form. I don't think my insurance has any restrictions on the body shop, but I'll probably take it to one more place to get a quote so I can at least have two.

since its a lease, why not wait till lease expiration in case something similar happens?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Be sure to check with your insurance first. Since they are paying, they may have specific body shops other than the dealer. Even if you will keep it, get it fixed. I think I see rust forming already and you don't want that to spread.

Insurance has no right to tell you where to fix the car.

ascii42

Insurance has no right to tell you where to fix the car.
In Georgia, at least, they aren't allowed to tell you where to fix the car. However,they can suggest one, and aren't obligated to pay more for repairs at a different place than they would at the one they suggested. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Just watched the latest episode of Top Gear. If what Jezza said is true, I've lost all respect for McLaren and what little I had left for Ferrari. Fuck both of them. Pussies afraid the 918 is going to embarass them both.

Niks

Just watched the latest episode of Top Gear. If what Jezza said is true, I've lost all respect for McLaren and what little I had left for Ferrari. Fuck both of them. Pussies afraid the 918 is going to embarass them both.

jalopnik said:
After we ran this story, a source at McLaren reached out to us to say that they had a P1 ready to go for testing, but it was Top Gear who pulled the plug on them. "The internet have been calling us a lot of things that should probably be reserved for Ferrari's testing policy," our source said. We're trying to find out more...

Mohonky

I like the clause Ferrari put in, if a buyer gives you a car, we will black list them from ever buying a Ferrari again.

I knew long ago there would never be a head to head with those cars though.

Wow I had no idea Ferrari did any of this. Now what I'm wondering is, what about video games like Forza and Gran Turismo? When their car was asked to be tested, did they bring a fake, faster car as well?

Top Bottom