• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Haha at some people just now realizing ferrari tactics.

They lie like crazy on curb weights also. They will give out weight on a dry car (no fluids) and still make up a number below that.

It's sad because their cars are absolutely amazing!

In Georgia, at least, they aren't allowed to tell you where to fix the car. However,they can suggest one, and aren't obligated to pay more for repairs at a different place than they would at the one they suggested. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Yes, like having preferred providers for your medical insurance.

Was watching an interview with the Porsche Motorsport guy and thought it was pretty cool that GT4 in German sounds like GT Fear. :D

Haha.

Here's a history lesson for those not in the know:

The owner of a tractor company in the 1960's bought a Ferrari 250GT and when the clutch broke, he found out that his tractors use the same clutch as the 250GT. So he went to Enzo Ferrari and asked for a better replacement. Enzo kindly told him to fuck off because he was just a tractor maker. Little did Enzo know that telling him to fuck off was probably the worst decisions he'll ever make in his life. Who's that tractor maker you ask? His name was Ferruccio Lamborghini.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Haha.

The owner of a tractor company in the 1960's bought a Ferrari 250GT and when the clutch broke, he found out that his tractors use the same clutch as the 250GT. So he went to Enzo Ferrari and asked for a better replacement. Enzo kindly told him to fuck off because he was just a tractor maker. Little did Enzo know that telling him to fuck off was probably the worst decisions he'll ever make in his life. Who's that tractor maker you ask? His name was Ferruccio Lamborghini.

Most people know that one. ;)

The automotive world is filled with stories better than that. For example, why the Ford GT40 was created in the first place. And the incredibly complex family history of Volkswagen and Porsche.

A lot of car companies were formed by someone with a grudge against someone else. Many failed, a few, such as Lamborghini survived. Albeit, Lambo barely made it through the 90s.

AlphaSnake

Also the history of the Land Rover/Range Rover goes back to the creator of the car who despised its existence and having to create it.

Taborcarn

I've been reading a book called "The life of the automobile : the complete history of the motor car" lately, and the beginning is full of stories like this.

Like how Henry Ford left the Henry Ford Company which ultimately failed, and the pieces were bought up and formed into Cadillac. Afterwards, Henry Ford tried again and created the Ford Motor Company.

Haha.

Come on now, this is like entry level knowledge :p

I love these stories though. I love the fact that Pagani then sprouted out from Lamborghini. It's like a beautiful passing of the crazy-ass-hypercar batton.

I've been reading a book called "The life of the automobile : the complete history of the motor car" lately, and the beginning is full of stories like this.

Like how Henry Ford left the Henry Ford Company which ultimately failed, and the pieces were bought up and formed into Cadillac. Afterwards, Henry Ford tried again and created the Ford Motor Company.

I just recently found out that the "Standard of the World" slogan is super-old. It's disappointing that they don't put it to good use anymore, when it's such a badass slogan.

I really want to be proud of Cadillac. They're getting better but they still have a ways to go.

ascii42

The guy who turned the Henry Ford Company into Cadillac later left to found Lincoln. When Lincoln had financial troubles, Henry Ford low-balled the offer to purchase Lincoln as revenge.

I just recently found out that the "Standard of the World" slogan is super-old. It's disappointing that they don't put it to good use anymore, when it's such a badass slogan.

I really want to be proud of Cadillac. They're getting better but they still have a ways to go.

Well, sometimes it's misused. Like in the ATS Superbowl Commercial from 2013. "Built to take on the BMW 3-series" and "the new standard of the world" don't really work together well.

AlphaSnake

Everyone in the auto industry has fucked over and sexed someone else at one point or another. Maserati would've likely ceased to exist without Alejandro De Tomaso's involvement in the company, arguably attributed to his Pantera becoming so legendary and so quickly. His ownership and President/CEO role in Maserati helped save the company during the oil crisis, which were the worst years for automobile companies. Known fact: Panteras were sold exclusively in Ford dealerships and were largely powered by Ford internals. It was arguably a Ford in every way but the name.

And then Chrysler tainted Maseratis to near death, until Fiat stepped in and purchased the brand. Later moving it over into the hands of Ferrari.

And speaking of Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler had an enormous partnership and huge ownership in Mitsubishi. After they severed ties, Mitsubishi has since been a nobody in the United States.

HOLY.

FUCKING.

SHIT.

http://www.scion.com/buildyourscion...612&model=iQ&transmission=Automatic&year=2015

jbcZmKC3ad5954.png

Smokey

Shot in the dark: anyone here buy a new Honda or Acura between 10/19/12 and now?

Shout out to Cyan for coming through. I just bought my wife a 2014 Accord for Xmas . I gave him my info and he submitted the claim a settlement that had been reached for a case. It was for $500.

Today the check came in.

Based Cyan thank you bro!

LOL WAT.

Although to be fair, the better question is why are you speccing out a iQ?

Also I know that Lamborghini's history is Car History 101, but most people were actually surprised about Ferrari's clauses and inner circle BS so I figured they wouldn't know either.

Besides, the real point of that story is that Ferrari's elitism has long been a company trait since Enzo founded it. But it's only until recently where it started to really rear it's ugly head.

Some intern in Maranello is probably reading this and probably just put me on a blacklist for talking shit about Ferrari. And to be honest, go on coz I don't really give a shit lol. I'd rather take a Porsche anyway since they seem to cater to the enthusiast crowd, not the prestige and elitism bullshit Ferrari likes to perpetuate lol.

cajunator

Banned
Wow I had no idea Ferrari did any of this. Now what I'm wondering is, what about video games like Forza and Gran Turismo? When their car was asked to be tested, did they bring a fake, faster car as well?

Ferrari used to refuse to allow their cars to be in games with police. I had to hack NFS 3 and 4 to play with the Ferraris in hot pursuit mode. They suck as a company.

FStop7

Banned
Most people know that one. ;)

The automotive world is filled with stories better than that. For example, why the Ford GT40 was created in the first place. And the incredibly complex family history of Volkswagen and Porsche.

A lot of car companies were formed by someone with a grudge against someone else. Many failed, a few, such as Lamborghini survived. Albeit, Lambo barely made it through the 90s.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844254763/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0547336055/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Evo X

Some intern in Maranello is probably reading this and probably just put me on a blacklist for talking shit about Ferrari. And to be honest, go on coz I don't really give a shit lol. I'd rather take a Porsche anyway since they seem to cater to the enthusiast crowd, not the prestige and elitism bullshit Ferrari likes to perpetuate lol.

itVP82XYY8tSO.gif

Mohonky

LOL WAT.

Although to be fair, the better question is why are you speccing out a iQ?

Also I know that Lamborghini's history is Car History 101, but most people were actually surprised about Ferrari's clauses and inner circle BS so I figured they wouldn't know either.

Besides, the real point of that story is that Ferrari's elitism has long been a company trait since Enzo founded it. But it's only until recently where it started to really rear it's ugly head.

Ferrari will always be like that and that's kind of their point. They sell their cars as a prestige product so owners feel like their some sort of privilidged member of an elite club; the image of being a Ferrari owner is as important as the car itself, hence limited production numbers and the fact that on upper end models they tell you whether you are allowed to buy one, whether you have the money or not. I dont think they have ever marketed otherwise. They also have a few cars you 'buy' but aren't even allowed to use as you want. You can only use them when and where Ferrari say you can and they are kept at Ferrari.

Porsche are typically German. Its a product made from good engineering to serve a purpose; motorsport. They price accordingly and expect to sell higher volumes of vehicles. They are still an exotic brand but thats because of the price of the engineering and the finish, but they make plenty of cars that are not wildly beyond the aspirations of your middle class if you are happy to get in their lower end vehicles which are still excellent and refined vehicles themselves.

TylerD

Shout out to Cyan for coming through. I just bought my wife a 2014 Accord for Xmas . I gave him my info and he submitted the claim a settlement that had been reached for a case. It was for $500.

Today the check came in.

Based Cyan thank you bro!

Wait, can you expand on this? I bought an Si last May..

On the continued subject of dealings between different automakers, another very interesting story is Porsche's failed takeover of VW.

I saw this BBC produced report on CNBC several years ago that goes over how Porsche went about gaining a very large share of VW in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MycyLJ3y9M8

edit: This is a much more condensed version of what happened and some of the aftermath.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0911_porsche_and_volkswagen_what_happened/

It was the wildest thing to watch. Porsche went from being the largest automotive company in the world to a subsidiary of VW in the blink of an eye. Fortunately it hasn't changed their mission statement in any meaningful way, if the boners for the GT4 are to be relied upon.

jey_16

Banned
How come McLaren didn't want to do the test at the top gear track? The car was designed around the tests they did there. Seems pathetic

didn't porsche send out a trio of 918s for their ring record with ex F1/Lemans drivers driving the cars?

secondly, everyone likes to mock ferrari and to a lesser extent mclaren, but why is everyone so convinced that porsche is so innocent in the lap scam game?

The lap time BS from P, M and F is kind of getting on my nerves. I don't get the point--just make the most outrageous, technologically impressive or engaging car you can and forget the numbers.

I think Porsche has the right idea (of course I do) with the 918. The exhaust comes out the top and you can take the roof off. McLaren and Ferrari are on tip toes with their numbers so that neither is slower than the other while Porsche is going "Hey, you can take the top off on nice days!"

didn't porsche send out a trio of 918s for their ring record with ex F1/Lemans drivers driving the cars?

secondly, everyone likes to mock ferrari and to a lesser extent mclaren, but why is everyone so convinced that porsche is so innocent in the lap scam game?

Because their products speak for themselves, and if that's not enough, there's actual objective evidence of their feats:

Porsche 918 Ring Lap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEv_uFBnzwI

McLaren P1: Bullshit Ring Lap Video with pretty cinematography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFQG51yFMc

Ferrari LaFerrari Ring Lap:

Evidence?

Just like Nissan and its GTR times?

Videos mean nothing when you tune the car to non-production spec which is what Nissan was accused of.

Evidence?

Just like Nissan and its GTR times?

Videos mean nothing when you tune the car to non-production spec which is what Nissan was accused of.

The point is, they gave us the closest thing to the truth out of the three in that instance. The second point is, that the TG guys said that Porsche agreed to have a customer bring their car, unaltered, McLaren was on board until Ferrari bitched like the babies they are.

There is also more history of Ferrari being shitbirds about this than the other two.

jey_16

Banned
The point is, they gave us the closest thing to the truth out of the three in that instance. The second point is, that the TG guys said that Porsche agreed to have a customer bring their car, unaltered, McLaren was on board until Ferrari bitched like the babies they are.

There is also more history of Ferrari being shitbirds about this than the other two.

Didn't McLaren refuse to have it at the top gear track because they were worried about the 4WD on the 918?

Evo X

Taken from the R8 thread in OT.

3200 lbs curb weight, 110 lbs lighter than predecessor. Two V10 models available at launch with an e-Tron version available upon customer request.

E-Tron version

92 kW/h battery (bigger than Tesla Model S ...) , dual electro motors with a total power of 460 hp and 920 Nm and a range of 450 km. Acceleration is 0-100 km/h in 3.9 and a top speed of 210 (limited?) or 250 km/h.

Regular V10 version

540 hp, 540 Nm, speed sensitive integrated rear wing, 0-100 km/h in 3.5 s, vmax 323 km/h

V10 Plus version

610 HP, 510 Nm, fixed rear wing, 0-100 km/h in 3.2 s, vmax 330 km/h

Interior

Press Release: https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/...itteilungen/2015/02/26/audi_presents_the.html

Evo X

Livestream Porsche Press Conference 3 March 2015 05:30 EST

Double world premiere at the Geneva International Motor Show 2015

Porsche shows two new high-performance cars for the first time

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG is celebrating the world premiere of two extreme sports cars at this year’s Geneva International Motor Show. The new Cayman GT4 is the first high-performance sports car belonging to the GT family that is based on the mid-engine coupes. Clocking a lap time of seven minutes and 40 seconds on the North Loop of the Nürburgring, the new entry-level model makes a great debut.

The second new model is another exceptional Porsche that sets new standards on the racetrack. The world premiere will take place during the Porsche press conference at the Palexpo Arena in Geneva at 11:30 (CET) on March 3, 2015. A live webcast will be available in German and English on: http://porsche.gomexlive.com/. This vehicle confirms the sports car manufacturer’s commitment to high performance sports cars that manage to make a very special link between everyday driving and motorsports.

These two premieres continue Porsche’s tradition of presenting motorsport highlights at the spring car show on the shores of Lake Geneva. The 911 GT3, 918 Spyder and 919 Hybrid all celebrated their debuts in Geneva in recent years. With the new Cayman GT4, Porsche impressively maximised the driving dynamics of the mid-engine sports car and positions it as the new benchmark in its segment. This high-performance sports car clearly stands out from the other Cayman models: the 3.8-litre engine, which is derived from the 911 Carrera S, produces 385 hp (283 kW). The completely new front end with lowered front spoiler and additional air outlet in front of the bonnet as well as the rear wing make it the only Cayman with downforce at both axles. The chassis, which features a 30 mm lower body position and an extra-large brake system, is set up for motorsports with components from the 911 GT3.

Who else is gonna be up bright and early to watch this? :D

AlphaSnake

Taken from the R8 thread in OT.

3200 lbs curb weight, 110 lbs lighter than predecessor. Two V10 models available at launch with an e-Tron version available upon customer request.

E-Tron version

92 kW/h battery (bigger than Tesla Model S ...) , dual electro motors with a total power of 460 hp and 920 Nm and a range of 450 km. Acceleration is 0-100 km/h in 3.9 and a top speed of 210 (limited?) or 250 km/h.

Regular V10 version

540 hp, 540 Nm, speed sensitive integrated rear wing, 0-100 km/h in 3.5 s, vmax 323 km/h

V10 Plus version

610 HP, 510 Nm, fixed rear wing, 0-100 km/h in 3.2 s, vmax 330 km/h

Interior

Press Release: https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/...itteilungen/2015/02/26/audi_presents_the.html

The interior looks leagues better than the outdated old car. But I hate how the infotainment screens are being integrated into the clusters. They need to be in the center stack, because I don't think drivers should be distracted by them, especially if you have a passenger who is better off tinkering with the audio and navigation. But with all of that in front of the driver, the passenger can't assist.

Evo X

Can't wait to see the GT3 RS. That thing is going to skyrocket to #1 dream car, I think.

Yeah, I'm sure it's gonna be insane. North of 500HP N/A from a 4L flat 6 with a super wide body and rubber.

Also, this is just wishful thinking, but I hope it convinces some people to switch their orders to one instead of a GT4 so I have a better chance of getting allocation.

North America is only getting 600 cars this year, 125 of which have already been reserved by 918 owners due to a VIP program.

Damn rich motherfuckers, you already have the million dollar flagship car! Why do you need a hopped up Cayman? Leave that for us mortals.

Allocation should be announced in a week. Not sure what car I would get if I can't get my hands on one. Nothing else appeals to me around the $100K mark, and I don't have the money to step up to a 488 or anything crazy. Will probably settle for a CPO Cayman GTS or 911S.

The interior looks leagues better than the outdated old car. But I hate how the infotainment screens are being integrated into the clusters. They need to be in the center stack, because I don't think drivers should be distracted by them, especially if you have a passenger who is better off tinkering with the audio and navigation. But with all of that in front of the driver, the passenger can't assist.

Meh, fuck the passenger. It's much easier for the driver to quickly glance down for info, music, or nav when driving rather than taking their eyes off the road to look at a centrally mounted screen. Not as distracting as you think. At least I haven't had any trouble with them.

The new Porsches have a pretty good compromise. There is a large center screen, but also a small one on the right side of the cluster for the driver.

Guess Audi thought that would be redundant.

kagete

I'd like to hear some different opinions about the 2015 Murano

Right now we're in love with the Mocha brown leather interior and just "cool" with the exterior. We're not considering the Rav4 because it's ugly, the CRV because I have 3 officemates that just bought CRVs the last few months, and the Rogue because I already have a 4cylinder/CVT combo vehicle and at least want something more refined than that.

We're a young couple, no kids, but two pets coming on the way, and strictly buy only Japanese brands, and generally plan to keep our vehicles for at least 10 years. Is the Murano our only real option staying around or under 40k (out the door with taxes and everything) that still has a great interior, decent engine and reliability?

We only buy cars new, because of some bad experience with 2nd hand, but don't know what else we should cross-shop. Our "safe" alternative is to just buy a V6 Camry or Accord and call it a day, but we like the high seating position of a crossover.

02.jpg

00.jpg

Is the Murano our only real option staying around or under 40k (out the door with taxes and everything) that still has a great interior, decent engine and reliability?

Around $32k you can get a fully loaded Mazda CX-5. It has excellent fuel economy and great driving characteristics but it won't be as upscale as the Murano or RDX. Also, it's a 4cyl. so not as much power.

Around $38k, you can get a fully loaded Acura RDX. More power than the CX-5 and slightly better interior, but I didn't think it was worth the $6000 difference. Fuel economy is also not that great being a V6.

The Murano is very small in person, actually. If you have pets, take a look at the CX-5. RDX is a nicer vehicle, but pricey for what you get compared to the CX-5.

2016 CX-5:

2016 RDX:

Top Bottom