• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

kagete

Around $32k you can get a fully loaded Mazda CX-5. It has excellent fuel economy and great driving characteristics but it won't be as upscale as the Murano or RDX. Also, it's a 4cyl. so not as much power.

Around $38k, you can get a fully loaded Acura RDX. More power than the CX-5 and slightly better interior, but I didn't think it was worth the $6000 difference. Fuel economy is also not that great being a V6.

The Murano is very small in person, actually. If you have pets, take a look at the CX-5. RDX is a nicer vehicle, but pricey for what you get compared to the CX-5.

2016 CX-5:

2016 RDX:

Thank you for the reply/advice. 2016 CX5s are in some dealers now apparently but extremely hard to find as they don't seem to be officially rolled out yet so the Mazda dealer I talked to denied they were on the lot despite his own inventory showing otherwise. They are really discounting the 2015s though.

2016 RDX's aren't out yet as far as I can see on dealer sites, and it does look interesting. However, we need the 2nd car/suv within the next few weeks, 2 months at the absolute latest. I'm not sure we can wait for the 2016... In the meantime that might mean better discounts for 2015 RDXs... I think i'll start comparing at least the 2015 in detail now. Thanks again!

Thank you for the reply/advice. 2016 CX5s are in some dealers now apparently but extremely hard to find as they don't seem to be officially rolled out yet so the Mazda dealer I talked to denied they were on the lot despite his own inventory showing otherwise. They are really discounting the 2015s though.

2016 RDX's aren't out yet as far as I can see on dealer sites, and it does look interesting. However, we need the 2nd car/suv within the next few weeks, 2 months at the absolute latest. I'm not sure we can wait for the 2016... In the meantime that might mean better discounts for 2015 RDXs... I think i'll start comparing at least the 2015 in detail now. Thanks again!

Yeah, if you need it in a hurry, you won't be able to get the 2016 RDX or CX-5 is my bet (new Murano may be hard to find as well; my local Nissan dealer only had 1 last time I was there for service a month back) but you can get a good deal on the 2015's.

The only downside is that both the CX-5 and RDX got some really nice upgrades for 2016. If you can live with that, I think they are good options to consider. CX-5 is very capacious in the rear (that's where I put my husky when we take him out) and while it was lacking in power, I fell in love with the handling and dynamics of the vehicle.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd like to hear some different opinions about the 2015 Murano

Right now we're in love with the Mocha brown leather interior and just "cool" with the exterior. We're not considering the Rav4 because it's ugly, the CRV because I have 3 officemates that just bought CRVs the last few months, and the Rogue because I already have a 4cylinder/CVT combo vehicle and at least want something more refined than that.

We're a young couple, no kids, but two pets coming on the way, and strictly buy only Japanese brands, and generally plan to keep our vehicles for at least 10 years. Is the Murano our only real option staying around or under 40k (out the door with taxes and everything) that still has a great interior, decent engine and reliability?

We only buy cars new, because of some bad experience with 2nd hand, but don't know what else we should cross-shop. Our "safe" alternative is to just buy a V6 Camry or Accord and call it a day, but we like the high seating position of a crossover.
I was in this exact same predicament.

Think about a CPO EX35/37

There's enough space with the back seats down to grab two bales of hay. My border collie and a 90 lb lab that ends up living with us 1/4 of the year fit in there just fine.

Picked mine up for damn cheap with only 30k miles on it. Extended warranty to last through the loan period as well.

And dat interior:

2014-02-03.jpg

It's more like a hatchback, but plenty of space for what you're talking about. Four adults fit in there very comfortably.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

There's enough space with the back seats down to grab two bales of hay. My border collie and a 90 lb lab that ends up living with us 1/4 of the year fit in there just fine.

Picked mine up for damn cheap with only 30k miles on it. Extended warranty to last through the loan period as well.

And dat interior:

2014-02-03.jpg

Agreed. Get an Infiniti EX35/EX37/QX50 or a pre-owned 2nd gen FX35/FX37 if you need something larger. The interiors are really bright spots on these cars. Superbly built, high quality materials all throughout, and no rattles. Plus extremely reliable.

Taken from the R8 thread in OT.

E-Tron version

92 kW/h battery (bigger than Tesla Model S ...) , dual electro motors with a total power of 460 hp and 920 Nm and a range of 450 km. Acceleration is 0-100 km/h in 3.9 and a top speed of 210 (limited?) or 250 km/h.

So they still call it e-tron. Since we just had funny sounding car names with the 'GT fear', you know why our french friends will smile when they hear of the 'etron' ;-)

kagete

And dat interior:

It's more like a hatchback, but plenty of space for what you're talking about. Four adults fit in there very comfortably.

Uh but isn't this due for a refresh while the newly refreshed Murano already has a nicer interior? And as far as reliability isn't it the same VQ 3.5 engine as well? I can actually buy a new QX50 for cheaper than a new Murano due to the discounts on it.

Showed the wife and she said she dislikes the curves and prefers edgy design.

mkenyon

Banned
The interior honestly feels better than a lot of cars in the $60k range. Just go sit in one.

I feel like I'm being pampered whenever I get in.
Uh but isn't this due for a refresh while the newly refreshed Murano already has a nicer interior? And as far as reliability isn't it the same VQ 3.5 engine as well? I can actually buy a new QX50 for cheaper than a new Murano due to the discounts on it.

Showed the wife and she said she dislikes the curves and prefers edgy design.
Definitely not a nicer interior.

Agreed. Get an Infiniti EX35/EX37/QX50 or a pre-owned 2nd gen FX35/FX37 if you need something larger. The interiors are really bright spots on these cars. Superbly built, high quality materials all throughout, and no rattles. Plus extremely reliable.

I have an FX35 and a CX-5 and I can't agree with "something larger". The space in the trunk is extremely small because of the aggressive angle of the rear glass and the full-sized spare.

The CX-5 is -- believe it or not -- more roomy in almost every respect. Space is much more usable.

EX is the smallest of of the bunch; feels like a stretched G. If you need space, these would be bad choices, IMO. RDX and CX-5 both have more usable space.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, but how much "space" does one really need with a family of 2 with 2 dogs?

I've used mine to go buy bales of hay during snow when we don't want to be driving the longbed.

kagete

I'm 5'6 and my wife is 5 5. One small dog, cat stays at home.

Since we keep cars forever, we're worried about the reliability of all the available tech on the new Murano. It seems nice now but we're more worried about all that tech lasting till 2025 when we still expect to be driving the same vehicle.

We're looking at the Lexus NX200 as well... this weekend will be fun for test drives and we will definitely try to get into all these different cars. Already got pre-approved for 2.39% for 60 with my bank so I'm ready to go with my own financing unless a dealer can beat that.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask but is getting the moonroof worth it? I understand you lose 1-2 inches of physical headroom but psychologically gain a lot more. I'm more concerned about the long term reliability of one and the fact that warranties never cover glass.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask but is getting the moonroof worth it? I understand you lose 1-2 inches of physical headroom but psychologically gain a lot more. I'm more concerned about the long term reliability of one and the fact that warranties never cover glass.

Purely personal preference. I absolutely love having a sun or moon roof, but some people think they're awful and never use them. I usually open mine up before the windows, even, and use them in cold weather with the heat on.

AlphaSnake

I have an FX35 and a CX-5 and I can't agree with "something larger". The space in the trunk is extremely small because of the aggressive angle of the rear glass and the full-sized spare.

The CX-5 is -- believe it or not -- more roomy in almost every respect. Space is much more usable.

EX is the smallest of of the bunch; feels like a stretched G. If you need space, these would be bad choices, IMO. RDX and CX-5 both have more usable space.

The hatch space of the FX is definitely a little hindered, but I was more referring to the rear passenger comfort of the FX over the EX. The EX is very limited with rear legroom for anyone over 5'8, moreso if the driver is tall and needs more room up front.

And yes, the EX is literally an Infiniti G-wagon. It's called the Skyline Crossover in Japan.

American enthusiasts pine and pine for wagons. We get them. And nobody buys them. And people wonder why we don't get more.

mkenyon

Banned
FWIW, we go out to dinner regularly with another couple. I'm 6', and while my wife is only 5'1", they are 5'11" and 6'2ish. Plenty of room all around.

Though, I'm used to Subarus.

AlphaSnake

Jalopnik's R8 old vs. new slider makes it pretty clear how dumbed down the new car looks. I think the old car looked miles better.

fwoibles

There is also more history of Ferrari being shitbirds about this than the other two.

The Italians are told that Ferrari is the best in the world and they don't want that ruined by facts, won't let anything touch their supposed crowning achievements and try to further their elite image, even internally. I mean, everybody is so proud to go to work in their Ferrari-issued overalls so when shifts change you seem them running around like a mob of red dwarfs. They are incredibly strict on handling the cars, no deviations from a given route - whereas Lamborghini lets their mechanics drive to lunch or to get some parts in the test cars. Some mechanics told me that with Audi giving the company direction and focusing efforts everything has become more relaxed.
As rumors have it after cashing out Ferrari by selling stocks for payment from Fiat to Chrysler the brand will be sold to VW so they might get straightened out.

On a different note, haven't gone hnnnnng so hard after seeing the S-class Coupe on the road until this A9 Shooting Brake:
2c0h554.bildn0qx5.jpg

As a big fan of the A6 Avant (Estate) this looks jawdroppingly beautiful.

What a stupid thing to say, especially since the new one is available with the same exact 610HP motor as the Huracan.

That's like saying the 911 is just a hopped up Volkswagen Beetle.

Why are you doubling down on this?

It's a personal thing, but I don't like the sharing of platforms for very high end vehicles. Knowing that the R8 shares many of the Huracan's underpinnings but puts it together in a less raucous, less exotic package, leaves me feeling disappointed. Not that it matters because I'm in no way their target demo, but the R8 will never be special to me.

And no, it's not at all like saying the 911 is just a hopped up VW. We're talking about cars on very similar platforms using the same engines.

It's a personal thing, but I don't like the sharing of platforms for very high end vehicles. Knowing that the R8 shares many of the Huracan's underpinnings but puts it together in a less raucous, less exotic package, leaves me feeling disappointed. Not that it matters because I'm in no way their target demo, but the R8 will never be special to me.

And no, it's not at all like saying the 911 is just a hopped up VW. We're talking about cars on very similar platforms using the same engines.

That's a fair point. I guess it doesn't bother me as much in this particular example because the two styling aesthetics are fairly different to the point where the R8 is the livable, DD version its respective Italian sibling.

That's a fair point. I guess it doesn't bother me as much in this particular example because the two styling aesthetics are fairly different to the point where the R8 is the livable, DD version its respective Italian sibling.

True enough, they're very similar underneath but the R8 is much friendlier. Just the idea, though, that it's so similar to the Lambo robs it of some of what makes a high end car special--in my eyes at least.

FStop7

Banned
I think I am going to replace my M6 at the end of this year. I had planned on doing so a while back, but job and finances changed a bit so I held onto it for a few more years.

It's still really early, but I'm putting together my requirements.

I originally wanted to lean heavily toward practicality, but I've come to realize I can use Uber or Lyft for situations when I need more space. Also, I no longer have a commute to work - I walk. So that opens up a lot of options.

So far, here is what I've come up with:

MUST have

Rear wheel drive
Manual transmission

NICE to have

Naturally aspirated engine
Service included
If a 4 seater, folding rear seats
HID headlights
Satellite radio
Relatively lightweight
European

MAYBE to have
Convertible

Candidates so far:

F-Type
997.2 S 6-speed (used)
991S 7-speed (used)
997.1 GT3 (used)
M235i
Corvette
Elise/Exige

In any case I'd prefer used, but the ones marked "used" would be definite.

I really like the F-Type a lot. But the versions that offer stick seem to be the least sporty...

Anybody have recommendations for winter/snow tires?

This is the view out of my garage:

I'm not gonna buy them now, but come next winter I'm probably grab a set of steelies and put them snow tires on there. Well that, or I buy a set of Enkei RPF1's switch my current summer tires on there and put the snows on the rims I have right now lol.

FStop7

Banned
Actually, it seems I misread Jaguar's site. There _is_ an F-Type S Manual trans. That changes things... a lot.

That car has the best sounding 6 cyl engine I have heard in years. It really does sound like a throwback to a GT class racer from the 60s.

Evo X

It's a personal thing, but I don't like the sharing of platforms for very high end vehicles. Knowing that the R8 shares many of the Huracan's underpinnings but puts it together in a less raucous, less exotic package, leaves me feeling disappointed.

That's fine if you feel that way, but you know there are some people that actually prefer to have a less raucous, less exotic car because they drive it daily, don't want the constant attention or scream about their wealth to the world.

I have a doctor friend who bought an R8 V10 for that very reason, even though he could very easily afford a Lambo or Ferrari. Since even that was getting too much attention, he recently traded it for the new 911 Turbo S.

That thing cost nearly $200K, but people see it as just another Porsche, and he is perfectly happy with flying under the radar, relatively speaking compared to the Skittle colored Italian exotics driving around where he lives.

Anybody have recommendations for winter/snow tires?

This is the view out of my garage:

I'm not gonna buy them now, but come next winter I'm probably grab a set of steelies and put them snow tires on there. Well that, or I buy a set of Enkei RPF1's switch my current summer tires on there and put the snows on the rims I have right now lol.

Winter tires for which car?

If for the miata I would get a winter performance tire like a Michelin PA4 or Blizzak LM series tire. I bought the PA4 for my new car which finally arrived in NY today. I've had these tires for like 4 months already just sitting unused. Will let you know how they perform next week hopefully.

If you're going for a winter snow/ice tire, i'd go Nokian RG2 or Blizzak WS series tire. But the Nokian would be my first choice as Blizzaks have a shorter life.

This photo is amazing because it simultaneously displays the Miata's best and worst traits.

Funny thing is, almost every Miata owner I've ever met are dudes past in their 30's with wives, midlife crises, or just flat out love the cars.

I've never ever met a gay Miata owner in the last 3 years. Hell even gay dudes I know hate the car because they're stereotyped by it.

On the other hand, I've met a ton of lesbian Subaru owners. From your stereotypical eco-friendly lesbians, to your bad girls WRX/STi club.

Winter tires for which car?

If for the miata I would get a winter performance tire like a Michelin PA4 or Blizzak LM series tire. I bought the PA4 for my new car which finally arrived in NY today. I've had these tires for like 4 months already just sitting unused. Will let you know how they perform next week hopefully.

If you're going for a winter snow/ice tire, i'd go Nokian RG2 or Blizzak WS series tire. But the Nokian would be my first choice as Blizzaks have a shorter life.

Yep, definitely for the Miata.

Tire life for me doesn't matter as I'll be switching them out frequently due to Texas weather. Like for example, this entire week the temperature has been under 40F most of the time, but this coming Wednesday it's gonna go up to 70F, so the winter tires will be useless then.

What I'm planning to do with them is basically put them on when there's precipitation and the temperatures will drop to less than 40F. But the moment the temperatures go above 50F, I'll take the winter tires out and put the summers on. If it's dry and 20F, and I have my summers on, I'll just keep them on. On the other hand, if I have the winters on at the same condition, then of course they're going to stay.

I agree this sounds fairly inconvenient and could potentially be solved by getting a set of all seasons since weather like this rarely happens in Texas. But that's where you're wrong lol. DFW shut down for an entire week in 2013 due to cobblestone ice and for the 2014 winter season, all that winter crap came this week starting with ice on Monday and then snow today. We've actually had a pretty warm winter until all this crap happened this week... so I'm fairly convinced that winter weather is probably gonna happen again next winter, so better be safe than sorry I guess.

Anyway, where do y'all get Nokian tires? I've actually never seen Nokian tires being sold here in Texas I believe.

i'd suggest getting them online as you likely won't find them locally.

may be hard to find online this time of year anyway as winter is almost over.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think the 2015 Murano is very distinctive in a good way on the exterior and the interior is really nice as well. Saw a loaded white one the other day with dark tint. Just recently watched this detailed review from Alex on Autos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiN_yDQnOA

If I was in your position, it would be on my short list.

It the single most improved aesthetic in any SUV ever. By far. Went from dumpy piece of shit to futuristic luxoSUV.

Rengoku

I think I am going to replace my M6 at the end of this year. I had planned on doing so a while back, but job and finances changed a bit so I held onto it for a few more years.

It's still really early, but I'm putting together my requirements.

I originally wanted to lean heavily toward practicality, but I've come to realize I can use Uber or Lyft for situations when I need more space. Also, I no longer have a commute to work - I walk. So that opens up a lot of options.

So far, here is what I've come up with:

MUST have

Rear wheel drive
Manual transmission

NICE to have

Naturally aspirated engine
Service included
If a 4 seater, folding rear seats
HID headlights
Satellite radio
Relatively lightweight
European

MAYBE to have
Convertible

Candidates so far:

F-Type
997.2 S 6-speed (used)
991S 7-speed (used)
997.1 GT3 (used)
M235i
Corvette
Elise/Exige

In any case I'd prefer used, but the ones marked "used" would be definite.

I really like the F-Type a lot. But the versions that offer stick seem to be the least sporty...

GT3, one hell of a car, and out of everything else on the list, it's the one that will hold it's value for the longest. Also, it's the last GT3 to come with manual, so it'll be even more desirable. It's really meant for the track, so you'll have to deal with a harsh ride on the roads, but since you're not using it to commute, it should be fine.

GT3, one hell of a car, and out of everything else on the list, it's the one that will hold it's value for the longest. Also, it's the last GT3 to come with manual, so it'll be even more desirable. It's really meant for the track, so you'll have to deal with a harsh ride on the roads, but since you're not using it to commute, it should be fine.

This is an excellent point. GT3s are special now and will be special for decades to come. Even if they were to dip some in value now it will be much less than other cars and will increase in value later on. I think they're even holding value better than the turbos, at least after the first few years of depreciation.

Plus, 20 years from now you can have a 911 GT3 with a Mezger engine and hydraulic steering, and won't you be the coolest kid on the block then!

Fuck. Now I need to buy a GT3. Time to quit my frequent relocation job and settle somewhere with a nice big garage to start my collection.

Evo X

If you want a daily driver that's fun, yet still relatively comfortable with niceties and tech, then 991S for sure.

If it's just gonna be a weekend toy, then GT3 for sure. The values went up these past few years, but are starting to come back down due the impending release of the GT4. I suggest you wait a bit, and you could score yourself a better deal on a nice one.

Evo X

Rumors say a new Boxster Spyder will be revealed April 1st. No word on whether it will use the 3.4L 330HP motor from the GTS or 385HP motor from the GT4.

What has been confirmed is that it will be the lightest Porsche production car available. Should be fun as hell to drive.

Here's some spy pics from a tester in South Africa. Apologies for the potato quality.

Likely to be my next daily driver!

Mazda killing it these days!

Looks great. Kodo is a great design language. I'm actually disappointed they didn't really follow through on it for the new Miata. A proper Kodo grille would've have looked much better than the weird squinting thing the production model ended up having. I have no doubt in my mind that they're going to refresh the headlights/grille similar to this render in a few years:

I got new coilovers, headers, six speed manual, and all around new polyurethane bushings for my car, in what order should it get put in?

Top Bottom