• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

rokkerkory

Real life GT4 pics in Carmine Red.

HNNNGGGG.... I needs it!

620x413xPorsche,P20Cayman,P20GT4,P20spotted,P20in,P20the,P20wild,P20-,P2004.jpg,qm=1424880748.pagespeed.ic.ZIm-PkDJl4.jpg

620x413xPorsche,P20Cayman,P20GT4,P20spotted,P20in,P20the,P20wild,P20-,P2002.jpg,qm=1424880748.pagespeed.ic.hZVKTMTAs0.jpg

Porsche%20Cayman%20GT4%20spotted%20in%20the%20wild%20-%2005.jpg

Porsche%20Cayman%20GT4%20spotted%20in%20the%20wild%20-%2003.jpg

620x413xPorsche,P20Cayman,P20GT4,P20spotted,P20in,P20the,P20wild,P20-,P2006.jpg,qm=1424880750.pagespeed.ic.tPzbS_BaXx.jpg

Absolutely amazing

Patriots7

The Bentley EXP 10 Speed 6 is absolutely beautiful. Holy shit.

I have to give Infiniti props, the QX30 has a great interior design. Much better than its Mercedes counterparts.

FStop7

Banned
I checked out the F-Type very briefly. Nice... but 3,900 pounds? For a small 2 seater? That's... out of hand. That's slightly more than my M6 weighs.

I might actually extend my 911 possibilities to include the 997.1 C2S as well.

The 997.1 GT3 would be cool, but from what I've seen they're still selling for close to $100k and that is simply too much to spend on an 8 year old car with 26k+ miles when a newer, CPO 991S can be had for quite a bit less. The performance difference between the two is simply not that great, and yes I have driven both.

J-Rzez

Anybody have recommendations for winter/snow tires?

Blizzak WS-80's. They are the most severe weather/duty tire they make, and they are fantastic. I've used the WS series for over a decade between my Evo and WRX and they are the best I've used to date.

I don't recommend going with their "sporty" snow tires because honestly, if you get a lot of snow, it's cold out, you shouldn't be flying around because you never know what's around the corner (snow drifts/black ice). I've had LMs before and got rid of them for this reason, the WS's are that much better in snow/ice/slush.

Gritesh

Blizzak WS-80's. They are the most severe weather/duty tire they make, and they are fantastic. I've used the WS series for over a decade between my Evo and WRX and they are the best I've used to date.

I don't recommend going with their "sporty" snow tires because honestly, if you get a lot of snow, it's cold out, you shouldn't be flying around because you never know what's around the corner (snow drifts/black ice). I've had LMs before and got rid of them for this reason, the WS's are that much better in snow/ice/slush.

I can echo the ws-80s I have them on my sti and drive the Canadian Rockies and the prairies in the winter and they are pretty impressive.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I checked out the F-Type very briefly. Nice... but 3,900 pounds? For a small 2 seater? That's... out of hand. That's slightly more than my M6 weighs.

I might actually extend my 911 possibilities to include the 997.1 C2S as well.

The 997.1 GT3 would be cool, but from what I've seen they're still selling for close to $100k and that is simply too much to spend on an 8 year old car with 26k+ miles when a newer, CPO 991S can be had for quite a bit less. The performance difference between the two is simply not that great, and yes I have driven both.

Weight shouldn't be a detriment to someone who doesn't plan on tracking the car. The great thing about the F-Type is that the weight went to all the right areas: chassis reinforcement and sound deadening. The coupe is extremely rigid, but rides exceptionally well. It's an incredibly strong car front and back.

mkenyon

Banned

+1

WS-80s are what I've used on a number of vehicles.

I think it's kind of ugly, but at least Honda is going in the right direction again. I wonder if the engine will make it to the US in the next Si or even a Type R.

I agree on the look... It's looks too much like a boy racer. Also the back is too fncking high... it looks like they stuck the end of a BMW X6 to a try-hard looking econobox.

And nope. The Euro Honda division has been full of crazy ass maniacs that have the ability to build something without the head honchos in Japan caring.

In fact, the 7th generation(01-05) Civic Si's were a European creation... all of them were built in England and exported to NA. And at the same time, only the Europeans got a Type R that came from that same factory. It wasn't until 07-10 where the Japanese market got another Type R... but that was strictly a Japanese made and sold Type R. Euro got a strictly Euro made and sold Type R themselves.

As for this new one, it's strictly a Euro Honda creation. I'm not sure if Japan will even see it, but I'm sure as hell the American Honda division isn't gonna do shit about it. Have you seen the new Si's? Hell, have you seen the entire Honda/Acura lineup? It's an utter disgrace to their motorsports history and I'm sure Ayrton Senna has been rolling in his grave since 2011 after they unveiled that travesty the call the new NSX.

Sidenote: I'm an ex-Honda fanboy.

GHG

Its like Porsche are trying to wear me down car by car.

Their current lineup is fucking beautiful.

A Macan turbo as a daily drive and then a new gt3 rs as the weekend motor is the pinnacle.

Evo X

Wow, that Porsche press conference was like 5 minutes long. lol

Just showed off the new models, then mentioned that Porsche sales are up 29% Switzerland. wtf, who cares?

Only noteworthy mentions were the confirmation that the GT4 will be a limited run much like the 1973 Carrera 2.7 RS and that a "race ready" version will be unveiled later this year. No idea if that means GT4RS or just showing off the actual factory racecar for the GT4 racing series.

Man I really want a GTV or something like it now. After my brother's friend drove me around in his, it really makes me appreciate how much fun it is to drive a small car quickly. Most fun I had at 40 mph.

72_Alfa-2000-GTV_DV-11-GCP_01.jpg

Momentary

Banned
Just damn...

002-porsche-911-gt3-rs-1.jpg

People may as well not even try to get this car if this is their first time seeing it. The monster is probably already sold out.

The best looking Aston Martin ever in my opinion. Too bad this 800hp beast is for the track only. I'm sure there's some filthy rich person already asking for a street legal one-off to be made for him or herself.

01-aston-martin-vulcan-geneva-1.jpg

Too bad it was only beaten out by this beauty:

01-bentley-exp-speed-10-speed-6-geneva-1.jpg

Good to see Bently actually taking a step forward. I don't think their's anything at the show that even comes close to these 3 vehicles in terms of aesthetics.

mkenyon

Banned
Its like Porsche are trying to wear me down car by car.

Their current lineup is fucking beautiful.

A Macan turbo as a daily drive and then a new gt3 rs as the weekend motor is the pinnacle.
I have never been in more agreement with any statement ever made on the internet. Ever.

I agree on the look... It's looks too much like a boy racer. Also the back is too fncking high... it looks like they stuck the end of a BMW X6 to a try-hard looking econobox.

And nope. The Euro Honda division has been full of crazy ass maniacs that have the ability to build something without the head honchos in Japan caring.

In fact, the 7th generation(01-05) Civic Si's were a European creation... all of them were built in England and exported to NA. And at the same time, only the Europeans got a Type R that came from that same factory. It wasn't until 07-10 where the Japanese market got another Type R... but that was strictly a Japanese made and sold Type R. Euro got a strictly Euro made and sold Type R themselves.

As for this new one, it's strictly a Euro Honda creation. I'm not sure if Japan will even see it, but I'm sure as hell the American Honda division isn't gonna do shit about it. Have you seen the new Si's? Hell, have you seen the entire Honda/Acura lineup? It's an utter disgrace to their motorsports history and I'm sure Ayrton Senna has been rolling in his grave since 2011 after they unveiled that travesty the call the new NSX.

Sidenote: I'm an ex-Honda fanboy.

I have a 14 Si, so yes I know how neutered they are. The Acura/Honda lineup is shameful. The only remotely decent car is the Accord Coupe V6, but even that needs a LSD.

I read that the Type R has been spotted bear the Honda factory in NA though. I think they've been testing them here.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I've really had my eyes on an M4 Coupe. Lease rates on them are fantastic, they can be had in the mid $600s with $0 down.

If by the time my Jaguar lease is over and financially things keep improving for my wife and I, the M4 right now seems like the most likely car we'll end up with.

Also, unfortunately her body terminated the pregnancy at around 7 weeks. So we are no longer expecting a child, and have decided to wait a little bit until we try again.

So I've really had my eyes on an M4 Coupe. Lease rates on them are fantastic, they can be had in the mid $600s with $0 down.

If by the time my Jaguar lease is over and financially things keep improving for my wife and I, the M4 right now seems like the most likely car we'll end up with.

Also, unfortunately her body terminated the pregnancy at around 7 weeks. So we are no longer expecting a child, and have decided to wait a little bit until we try again.

i haven't seen anyone post a $0 down deals in the $600s anywhere on the new Ms.

where did you see this?

No Love

Banned

I'm really sorry to hear that, man. It'll happen again.

M4 is a fantastic car especially for that lease rate.

Sorry to hear that :(

~~~

As for Geneva, I have now looked at the EXP 10 Speed 6 from every possible angle, and it's...ugly. I don't know what people see in that thing. It's just oblong and wobbly and awful.

I've already jacked off enough about Porsche's offerings, company is on fire.

Koenigsegg's stuff is impressive, but at the same time they've been refining and rehashing the CCX for so long now that I just don't really...feel anything about their cars. (This comes from someone who is a set of keys away from being a Porsche fanboy). I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Regera ends up being capable of a sub-two-second 0-60 sprint, and...probably a single digit quarter mile.

That Pininfarina Ferrari thing, moop, ok.

Civic Type R, FWD, next.

Vulcan looks fantastic, Vantage GT3 is gorgeous.

Infiniti QX30 Concept looks nice. Props to Infiniti for trying to do futuristic without making everything look like shit a la Lexus.

Volkswagen Sport Coupe GTE Concept is interesting. I really like the way the DRLs meld into the grille. Rear lights look like a Stingray, lol. Not a fan of the spoiler, adds almost bangle-butt ugly.

Evora 400; all I can think of is that scatching deconstruction posted earlier about bodykits and keeping the lights on.

Lexus LF-SA Concept; Lexus, whatever drugs everyone at corporate is taking, stop taking them. The worst part is that their sales are up 31% YoY with this recent strategy of making the ugliest cars on the road.

FStop7

Banned
In my fantasy land this new GT3RS will crash the price of the 997.2 GT3RS, especially the 4.0

I know that's just a fantasy, though

negitoro7

Car wash gaf:

Anyone use one of these for washing their car at home? Thoughts?

Also, would it be ok to move from a sheepskin mitt to something like this?

Yup, I use a foam gun and this http://www.autogeek.net/gold-wash-wedge.html

Best wash purchases ever, great for quick washes when you're strapped for time and aren't able to pull out the two buckets + grit guards + micro fiber towels. I find myself washing my car WAY more often now since I've gotten those two things, but caution: you'll likely find that you'll mostly or only use the quicker way. I can't remember the last time I used the two bucket method, and consequently, my car isn't ever 10/10 clean. However, I'm okay with the tradeoff to get it 8/10 often as opposed to not washing it at all. I really need to devote a day to doing a full detail this Spring....

Car wash gaf:

Anyone use one of these for washing their car at home? Thoughts?

Also, would it be ok to move from a sheepskin mitt to something like this?
I have a foam sprayer which attaches to my Karcher pressure cleaner. It's good if you use a really foamy foaming agent. Spray it on, let it dwell for a couple of minutes (they say not too long) and then rinse off. Half of the job is done for you but there's still half of the work to go so you'll still need to handwash with a mitt.

I recommend foaming guns but can't speak of that particular brand as I haven't used it.

EDIT: This is the foam lance I have: http://youtu.be/BQvvyGoHDkc?t=2m3s

And here's a video of the same kind of gun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6vcAzVkJW0

I have no affiliation with that website, it's just where I've bought product from before and I knew they had a good video showing its use.

EDIT2: Here's a better video, hey hey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvvyGoHDkc

I have a 14 Si, so yes I know how neutered they are. The Acura/Honda lineup is shameful. The only remotely decent car is the Accord Coupe V6, but even that needs a LSD.

I read that the Type R has been spotted bear the Honda factory in NA though. I think they've been testing them here.

I agree about the Accord V6... it's fast for a midsize coupe. Too bad it's $30 grand for one. At that point you might as well buy a WRX, and not only is it gonna be faster, it's AWD too.

Anyway, don't they always test cars up here in NA? I know Mazda always tests out their cars here and their closest factory is south of the border.

That said I do kinda hope that Honda brings this to NA since another sole European creation is also coming to the US. Imagine the 2nd coming of the hot hatch era... Mazdaspeed3/6, Focus ST/RS, Civic Type R, Golf GTI, and the Cooper S... that'd be some fun daily drivers.

My friend just told me there is a 16 year old kid in SoCal that recently got a McLaren P1 for his birthday.

He also has a 650S as beater, which he got when he was 15, shortly after getting his permit.

How does this make you feel AutoGAF?

Meh...

Kid doesn't know the feeling of buying shit with your own money, working your ass off for it, the blood, sweat and cussing when you're working on it, and of course the feeling when you fix it right and driving it like a maniac whether it be on the track or somewhere illegal lol.

Besides, as fast as the P1 is with all it's nannies, the drivers skill dictates the kind of driving you can bring out of it. Let him go against the street racers of SoCal. If he can actually beat them by a country mile then I might feel jealous. But as it is, he's just a kid with no sense of car culture or the real world.

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe the kid is a hardcore auto enthusiast that has been doing legit Kart racing since he was a lad?

Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

Top Bottom