• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

matmanx1

Motor Trend Head 2 Head: Jaguar F-Pace S vs. Porsche Macan GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54p_IaGUJqQ

Everyone run for cover.

MT's Head 2 Head videos continue to be entertaining and well produced. Once I get serious about possibly shopping for a Macan GTS in a few years I will definitely have to test drive the F- Pace. There's too many good things being said about it to not give it a serious look.

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion that the F-Pace is better looking though. There's a few F-Paces around here and quite a few Macan's and I prefer the proportions of the Macan. That's just my preference though and beauty is totally in the eye of the beholder.

Still, you have to be impressed with what Jaguar has done with the F-Pace especially when you consider the size of their company and their resources versus the Volkswagen group. I have nothing but respect for their effort and execution.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
MT's Head 2 Head videos continue to be entertaining and well produced. Once I get serious about possibly shopping for a Macan GTS in a few years I will definitely have to test drive the F- Pace. There's too many good things being said about it to not give it a serious look.

I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion that the F-Pace is better looking though. There's a few F-Paces around here and quite a few Macan's and I prefer the proportions of the Macan. That's just my preference though and beauty is totally in the eye of the beholder.

Still, you have to be impressed with what Jaguar has done with the F-Pace especially when you consider the size of their company and their resources versus the Volkswagen group. I have nothing but respect for their effort and execution.

I think the wheels make a MASSIVE difference in the looks of the F-Pace. I played with their configurator, and the upgraded wheels were an absolute must to improve the looks. I'm sure most the vehicles driving around town or base model/vanilla.

kharma45

The XC60 is nice but it's too small. What Volvo does very, very well is build safe cars that are just nice places to be. They're not exciting or all that much fun, but they're refined and stately.

I've driven the new XC90 and S90 and the S90 is the better one in terms of luxury. It's simply outstanding; nothing is overly fancy but everything feels "just right". I could drive that car for days on end and only want more.

How was the touchscreen? Not keen on the idea that almost everything is done through it. Just strikes me as distracting and dangerous.

ameratsu

Just test drove a GTI. Wow! I liked it way more than I thought I would.

Nice interior, very quiet cabin, surprisingly nimble handling and plenty of power (compared to what I'm used to). The clutch was slipping on the demo car, so it was a bit weird at low rpm, I think.

Anyway, damn. I'm impressed. Nice cargo space too.

Yeah, I was damn impressed too. Drove one a couple weeks ago. Absolutely love the clark cloth seats.

Now to see if I can find a nice used 5door PP manual with cloth..

The XC60 is nice but it's too small. What Volvo does very, very well is build safe cars that are just nice places to be. They're not exciting or all that much fun, but they're refined and stately.

I've driven the new XC90 and S90 and the S90 is the better one in terms of luxury. It's simply outstanding; nothing is overly fancy but everything feels "just right". I could drive that car for days on end and only want more.

Yeah, thats the one thing I noticed when I was in the V60, is that it is a bit small. Though I guess they don't want it too close to the S90 in size.

I only sat in the S90, didn't get to drive it, but I agree that it was just a nice place to be.
Though I'd say pretty much all volvo's are nice places to be, which is why I've owned like 5 of them.

matmanx1

Disappointed at the new Si numbers. Worse thing it that its gonna be sold over the mid 20's range.

I'm not so worried about the numbers with the Si. It's never been a car that was about outright numbers and is similar in that regard to the MX-5. As long as it drives like an Si (and there's cause for worry there with the move to turbocharging) and continues to be cheap'ish, reliable performance then Honda will have another win.

How was the touchscreen? Not keen on the idea that almost everything is done through it. Just strikes me as distracting and dangerous.

This was a few months ago (last fall I think?) so I don't really recall, but it felt easy to navigate. For instance, I knew the thing had the concert hall sound setting and I was able to turn it off as soon as I used it. Still, it's a touchscreen and I don't like touchscreens in general, but it wasn't too bad. I didn't get to use it for a long drive, but radio and AC controls were simple to access from the top menu.

That sound system was so damn good though. Outside noise just disappears when you turn it on.

So I've gone a bit crazy over the off season, and ordered a ton of stuff for my Chaser. It's all starting to arrive, and I need to get cracking. I love projects but HATE when a simple part can slow progress down to a crawl.

Oh and my lips arrived for my rims, so they are now being taken apart, and rebuilt to my new specs. Can't wait to see the finished product!

So do most of you folks own fancy/sporty cars? Like the 2 door cars or the ones focused on engines over back seat space, trunk space, etc?

Are most of you single or have a family and buy family vehicles?

Family man, and drive a 2012 Subaru Impreza STI for the daily duties (four door, so it's a family car right?!) and a 1997 Toyota JZX100 Chaser for the project "fun" weekend tinker, and sink too much money into car.

IMG_4101_zpsfegtvyf3.jpg

IMG_7471_zpskxselzp4.jpg

So I've gone a bit crazy over the off season, and ordered a ton of stuff for my Chaser. It's all starting to arrive, and I need to get cracking. I love projects but HATE when a simple part can slow progress down to a crawl.

Oh and my lips arrived for my rims, so they are now being taken apart, and rebuilt to my new specs. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Family man, and drive a 2012 Subaru Impreza STI for the daily duties (four door, so it's a family car right?!) and a 1997 Toyota JZX100 Chaser for the project "fun" weekend tinker, and sink too much money into car.

IMG_4101_zpsfegtvyf3.jpg

IMG_7471_zpskxselzp4.jpg

Ontario? Maybe Ill see u on the road :p

Nice cars

ascii42

Bah. Ill just stick with the CVT. One day ill feel the thrill of a v6 but it seems like too much work to walk away from the dealership now

Yes!! Closer to the 85 or 90. Is that an accord? I think the trunk was a little smaller but thats the shape

Isnt it nice? I like it a lot. Why dont they make cars like that anymore? Why is everything so curved?

Aerodynamics, and general styling trends.

Malvolio

Yeah, I was damn impressed too. Drove one a couple weeks ago. Absolutely love the clark cloth seats.

Best cloth seats I've ever owned. I honestly wouldn't take the leather ones if they installed them for free. Heated for winter, breathable in summer, best of both worlds. Secret stash compartment under the driver's seat is sweet too.

v1lla21

The limited slip makes the car so much better. Which I had the funds to buy one for my mk6

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I spoke to the Z06 guy down the street.

"I like your Z06, man"

"Oh, um thank you"

"Is it a 7-speed auto or a 7-speed manual?"

His response?

"I don't know what that means..."

So I asked "is it automatic or stick shift?"

"It's automatic".

"Have a nice day"

Kid's English was a bit shit. He's a few years younger than me, and turns out they're a Venezuelan family (both bought houses next door to each other). So basically, his mother bought one house, and her sister bought the house next door.

I also suspect that it may not be his car. Thinking it could be his dad's or something.

Disappointed at the new Si numbers. Worse thing it that its gonna be sold over the mid 20's range.

I'm a little disappointed but supposedly this thing is gonna weigh around 2800lbs and considering a non-Si Civic is around 2700 right now. If that ends up to be true then I don't think there's something to worry about.

More importantly, this thing is a turbo and I'm pretty sure the folks at Hondata, Cobb, Mountune, and all the other turbo shops out there are foaming at the mouth as we speak. Hondata already has a mod that adds around 10-25hp on the standard turbo 1.5 Civic so there's actually tons to be excited about.

I'm looking forward to see it hit the lots next month though. While I am certain that I'll be picking up an ND Miata in a few months, I'm also willing to try out the WRX, Si, FoST, and GTI before I fully commit.

I'm a little disappointed but supposedly this thing is gonna weigh around 2800lbs and considering a non-Si Civic is around 2700 right now. If that ends up to be true then I don't think there's something to worry about.

More importantly, this thing is a turbo and I'm pretty sure the folks at Hondata, Cobb, Mountune, and all the other turbo shops out there are foaming at the mouth as we speak. Hondata already has a mod that adds around 10-25hp on the standard turbo 1.5 Civic so there's actually tons to be excited about.

I'm looking forward to see it hit the lots next month though. While I am certain that I'll be picking up an ND Miata in a few months, I'm also willing to try out the WRX, Si, FoST, and GTI before I fully commit.

While 2800lbs isn't terrible, the civic is not really the small sporty car it once was. On the plus side, being turbo from the factory is a big plus when it comes to modding.

Honda should make a fit si.

Pinewood

Went to one of these self-wash car washes yesterday where you put coins in and get to wash you car for a certain amount of time. Didnt presoak or anything.

The result? Me realizing how dirty my car is after the surface dirt is off.

Pinewood

As a follow up to the washing bit, any good short guides for washing a car?

Haven't really looked into it since it was cold outside but spring is almost here so...

Is the N54 engine in 335 BMW so full of problems as they say? Does anybody here have any experience on that?

Yes.
High pressure fuel pump was supposedly fixed with the last recall but I have still seen some that fail. Need to walnut blast the intake every 40k miles to prevent the carbon buildup on the valves. Turbos need to be rebuilt every 60k miles. It's also prone to heat soak on the track. I have watched plenty of friends be lured in by cheap power with buying a JB4, only to sell the car six months later because they are constantly working on it.

It also has the same weak points as the N52. Cracking Valve Covers, electric water pumps, etc.

You guys will be super mad if I buy the Miata RF with an automatic, won't you?

Can you even buy an RF with an automatic? I know you can with the regular ND.

So do most of you folks own fancy/sporty cars? Like the 2 door cars or the ones focused on engines over back seat space, trunk space, etc?

Are most of you single or have a family and buy family vehicles?

Married but have no kids. I daily drive an 01 NB Miata. Wife drives an 04 325 Wagon. Ive got an 08 M3, 98 M3, and a 77MGB as Weekend cars. Also have a 95 Nissan Hardbody that I use in bad weather and do to truck stuff with. I am thinking about downsizing how many cars I have but I have a hard time letting go.

Cowie

Like I get that they can't ignore that element if they're really doing a comparison, but the amount of focus they put on how the cars look in those H2H always seem silly to me. Which car looks better is basically the only comparison I can safely make from my computer chair, I kinda don't give a shit about other people's opinions on that.

matmanx1

You guys will be super mad if I buy the Miata RF with an automatic, won't you?

Eh, it's your money and your life. Do what's best for you. Mazda's automatic is actually good but it's still going to be a step down in fun factor and engagement versus the sublime 6 speed manual.

Is the N54 engine in 335 BMW so full of problems as they say? Does anybody here have any experience on that?

It won't blow up on you but it will leak oil from multiple places, sometimes as soon as 30k miles. Older models had turbo issues, wastegate issues and high pressure fuel pump failures but hopefully they've got those issues sorted out by now.

Futaba

So after much consideration, I spent most of the day stripping all of the engine mods off of the 86 aside from the UEL, injectors and stage 2 tune, both supercharger and turbo setups are getting sold, they were awesome additions but I knew that I'd be pulling them off soon regardless to pass Shaken testing, instead I have plans to engine swap it and use the profits from the FI setups sales and engine/trans sale to fund all the fabrication work and for a ground up built block, It means paying an additional set of taxes for modified vehicles but at least testing isn't as stringent.

So new trans is on it's way, already got most of the stock block for the engine that'll eventually be going in, though by the time I'm done with it, most of the parts will be replaced with up-rated/upgraded components, then a custom harness for the haltech and a bunch of time in the metal shop.. should be fun!

Was struggling to hit 400 safely with the current setup, I figure once I'm done I'll be shooting clean past 1100.

Somehow the wife is as hyped for it as I am, haha

Was initially surprised at the new Sis numbers, but it has more torque than the previous gen. Plus I've been hearing that the EXL 1.5 turbos are actually making more than Honda is advertising when being dynod. In sure tuners are going to have a blast with Hondata flashpros.

I think the handling will be better with the active dampers and that's going to make the car, but we'll see.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yesterday was the first time I took a claybar to the Hellcat. Used some left-over Meguir's gold soap I had laying around and a microfiber towel afterwards... nothing fancy; but I'm pretty happy for two hours of work and no wax.

... wheels look like ass, though. I'll have to find something better than the Mothers spray bottle and microfiber rag I was using.

I'll probably just take it to this detail spot here in KC in a month or so for its first wax. Place has 4.5 stars with like 500 reviews - Vipers, Lambos, Porshe, etc - so I'm fine spending $300 there to avoid screwing up its first application... I've never had a black vehicle before.

Hesemonni

Banned
Yes.
High pressure fuel pump was supposedly fixed with the last recall but I have still seen some that fail. Need to walnut blast the intake every 40k miles to prevent the carbon buildup on the valves. Turbos need to be rebuilt every 60k miles. It's also prone to heat soak on the track. I have watched plenty of friends be lured in by cheap power with buying a JB4, only to sell the car six months later because they are constantly working on it.

It also has the same weak points as the N52. Cracking Valve Covers, electric water pumps, etc.
Thanks for the heads up :p

Skel1ingt0n

What do you guys think a used M2 will cost in 3 years?

I'm not certain about it's depreciation; but I'm very hopeful we don't get another 1M on our hands. People can sell those things today with 50K mi, and for more than the original MSRP.

I think the M2 will follow a slightly less aggressive depreciation than any modern M3 after the first two years.

Finally finished Stage One of Norma Jean!

Mods:
H&R Springs
Bilstein shocks/struts
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Corksport Bypass Valve
Cobb Intake
Corksport turbo inlet pipe
StreetUnit Top Mounted Intercooler
Corksport full turbo back exhaust
Damon Rear Motor Mount
Stratified Stage 3 Tune

And I want to say that the Corksport exhaust sounds fuckin amazing. I think this might be the best sounding 4 cylinder I have ever heard. Its deep and rumbles, reminds me of a better STi exhaust.

v1lla21

I'm not certain about it's depreciation; but I'm very hopeful we don't get another 1M on our hands. People can sell those things today with 50K mi, and for more than the original MSRP.

I think the M2 will follow a slightly less aggressive depreciation than any modern M3 after the first two years.
Cool a bit more than I figured but should be easily affordable by then.
And I want to say that the Corksport exhaust sounds fuckin amazing. I think this might be the best sounding 4 cylinder I have ever heard. Its deep and rumbles, reminds me of a better STi exhaust.
Nice list of mods! Yeah the corksport exhaust is really nice, my buddy got it on his Mazda.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Finally finished Stage One of Norma Jean!

Mods:
H&R Springs
Bilstein shocks/struts
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Corksport Bypass Valve
Cobb Intake
Corksport turbo inlet pipe
StreetUnit Top Mounted Intercooler
Corksport full turbo back exhaust
Damon Rear Motor Mount
Stratified Stage 3 Tune

I saw a Speed6 like this yesterday in Orlando, same color. I love seeing them around, because they were such cool cars. Very expensive to keep running, but cool.

hwalker84

Yesterday was the first time I took a claybar to the Hellcat. Used some left-over Meguir's gold soap I had laying around and a microfiber towel afterwards... nothing fancy; but I'm pretty happy for two hours of work and no wax.

... wheels look like ass, though. I'll have to find something better than the Mothers spray bottle and microfiber rag I was using.

I'll probably just take it to this detail spot here in KC in a month or so for its first wax. Place has 4.5 stars with like 500 reviews - Vipers, Lambos, Porshe, etc - so I'm fine spending $300 there to avoid screwing up its first application... I've never had a black vehicle before.

You steal my car bro???
https://youtu.be/npeEGdGEgAc

SliChillax

I'm not certain about it's depreciation; but I'm very hopeful we don't get another 1M on our hands.

It won't happen, the M2 isn't as limited as the 1M.

I test drove a Camaro SS today with the automatic and magnetic ride. My M235i felt like a piece of shit after, everything about the Camaro was superior even most of the interior quality. I was shocked how good the car handled and how amazing the magnetic shocks are. It's also the same price as my M235i it's ridiculous. The V8 was magical, steering feel was amazing and sharp, exhaust sound godly, everything about the car was perfect to me. I also love how it looks, it's a HotWheels car and I love it, it's pure theater. I felt like a rockstar driving that thing here in Italy, everybody loves it. I will definitely sell my M235i in the summer and get a Camaro, it was that good. I also drove the Mustang GT, felt wobbly slow heavy and cheaper inside, I don't understand why people buy it over the Camaro? For the looks only? I mean visually I prefer the Camaro but that's subjective. Very very impressed by the Camaro, can't stop thinking about it. Here in europe having a car that good and visually striking for 55,000 euros is incredible.

Lizardus

I test drove a Camaro SS today with the automatic and magnetic ride. My M235i felt like a piece of shit after, everything about the Camaro was superior even most of the interior quality. I was shocked how good the car handled and how amazing the magnetic shocks are. It's also the same price as my M235i it's ridiculous. The V8 was magical, steering feel was amazing and sharp, exhaust sound godly, everything about the car was perfect to me. I also love how it looks, it's a HotWheels car and I love it, it's pure theater. I felt like a rockstar driving that thing here in Italy, everybody loves it. I will definitely sell my M235i in the summer and get a Camaro, it was that good. I also drove the Mustang GT, felt wobbly slow heavy and cheaper inside, I don't understand why people buy it over the Camaro? For the looks only? I mean visually I prefer the Camaro but that's subjective. Very very impressed by the Camaro, can't stop thinking about it. Here in europe having a car that good and visually striking for 55,000 euros is incredible.

Most importantly, how was the visibility through the slit windows in the Camaro?

So after much consideration, I spent most of the day stripping all of the engine mods off of the 86 aside from the UEL, injectors and stage 2 tune, both supercharger and turbo setups are getting sold, they were awesome additions but I knew that I'd be pulling them off soon regardless to pass Shaken testing, instead I have plans to engine swap it and use the profits from the FI setups sales and engine/trans sale to fund all the fabrication work and for a ground up built block, It means paying an additional set of taxes for modified vehicles but at least testing isn't as stringent.

So new trans is on it's way, already got most of the stock block for the engine that'll eventually be going in, though by the time I'm done with it, most of the parts will be replaced with up-rated/upgraded components, then a custom harness for the haltech and a bunch of time in the metal shop.. should be fun!

Was struggling to hit 400 safely with the current setup, I figure once I'm done I'll be shooting clean past 1100.

Somehow the wife is as hyped for it as I am, haha

Would it not pass inspection with a turbo? What difference does it make if its an engine swap? Is inspection hard to pass for modified cars in Japan?
Kinda makes me glad I live in a place that doesn't have an inspection, though we emissions testing which can be shitty.

SliChillax

Most importantly, how was the visibility through the slit windows in the Camaro?

The european version has bigger side mirrors and tbh I had no problems with visibility. I think the whole thing is overblown or people have no idea how to position themselves in the driver seat and adjusts the mirrors. I basically drove it in traffic and it was my first time driving it and had no issues. There's also blind spot assist to help you even more. It's not an issue, I'm glad they kept the lower roof line and the cool looking thin side windows, the car looks badass.

ascii42

Not sure about prices over there, but in America, the Camaro is a decent amount more expensive. Mustang GT starts at $34,095 to the Camaro SS's $37,900. Not an enormous amount, but enough that you can add on a decent set of options to the Mustang. I'd still go with the Camaro, though. I had the same feelings as you did when I drove both.

Around me it seems like new Mustang sales are 3 to 1 to new Camaro sales.

I see a ton of EcoBoost and GT Mustangs but only see RS Camaro's here or there. Rare to see a SS Camaro.

Top Bottom