• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

I really should take some new pics but here are a couple from when I got it last year.

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

That's...so nice... Great looking car. How often do you get to drive it? Where is this? It looks so empty...unlike California.

J-Rzez

I'm probably buying an RS1 in Frozen White on Saturday. You should work for Ford because you sold me.

I can just give opinions and answer questions. The car should sell you. You may hate it, you may just think its OK, or you may fall in love with it like I did. Get some time to see if you can live with the ride, turning radius, space, seats, and blind spots.

If you buy it, be prepared to get revved at by every VW, Audi, and Subaru owner. Hated on AWD Army and Hatch Society. I mean, there's a lot of cool people still, but there are some legit haters out there. I guess it was their time to shine with the Evo gone, but another challenger appeared to fill the void.

hwalker84

Getting the whole front of my Hellcat clear wrapped, A-pillars, rear view mirrors, and behind the tires. Then ceramic coated and windows tinted. Can't wait to get her back.

Damn. How'd you get that r34 registered? How much did it cost you to import it?
To import here (Australia) > Pay an importer to do paperwork (usually about $1100 aud) and help you find a car > find car and buy it > ship it > get compliance done > pay a lot of tax > get registration.
There's a similar M-spec for sale for 7.7m yen http://page23.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o178365686 with 25k kms. That's 70k usd car cost (92k aud). On the road here after tax would be about 125k-130k aud. This car was already imported, it's been in Aus since 2004 which is more desirable than cars that have been in Japan the whole time because the roads are a lot better here and a lot less issues with rust.

jamsy

That's...so nice... Great looking car. How often do you get to drive it? Where is this? It looks so empty...unlike California.

I'm actually in SF, haha.

I don't really drive it much, honestly. I take public transportation to work because driving doesn't make sense (would take longer with the traffic, plus cost like $30-40 in parking every day). So pretty much a weekend car, and even then, I don't even drive much on weekends =/

GHG

Getting the whole front of my Hellcat clear wrapped, A-pillars, rear view mirrors, and behind the tires. Then ceramic coated and windows tinted. Can't wait to get her back.

Do you mind me asking how much that cost you and which clear-bra brand you chose?

I've only got the ceramic coating on my charger for now but want to get extra protection on the front from stone chips and get the windows tinted since it's really starting to get heated up now. The only quotes I got before were for the whole car to get Xpel but the prices were far beyond what I want to pay.

I'm kinda excited for this new segment kf mid size sport suvs that the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio started and now Mercedes followed up with the GLC63s. I actually kinda like it except for the grille
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-glc63-might-actually-be-the-best-mercedes-amg-now-1794016511
etsxfyiqffcge5st0vbj.jpg

This looks awesome but wtf at there being a GLC coupe AND a GLE coupe... I mean, what's the point? It's like what the x4 is to the x6, utterly pointless.

Mercedes and BMW are really going for that self sabotage at the moment.

SliChillax

This looks awesome but wtf at there being a GLC coupe AND a GLE coupe... I mean, what's the point? It's like what the x4 is to the x6, utterly pointless.

Mercedes and BMW are really going for that self sabotage at the moment.
The X4 and X6 sell a lot, same for the GLC Coupe and GLE Coupe. It's not sabotage if they turn a huge profit.

GHG

The X4 and X6 sell a lot, same for the GLC Coupe and GLE Coupe. It's not sabotage if they turn a huge profit.

Oh I know the x6 sells, I used to own one :) . I see a lot of x6's here in Dubai but rarely see any x4's. I'm also starting to see a few GLE coupes on the road but I'm yet to see the GLC coupe.

But then this is the country where the mantra is "bigger=better" so it may not be the same elsewhere and the opposite may be true in certain countries.

I have nothing against the shape or the functionality of the cars (if you buy one of these you don't give a fuck about going off road so suck it Clarkson), it's just the fact that you have 2 models occupying exactly the same space, only one is slightly smaller but somehow a lot less practical than the other. The back seats of the x4 are a joke.

SliChillax

Oh I know the x6 sells, I used to own one :) . I see a lot of x6's here in Dubai but rarely see any x4's. I'm also starting to see a few GLE coupes on the road but I'm yet to see the GLC coupe.

But then this is the country where the mantra is "bigger=better" so it may not be the same elsewhere and the opposite may be true in certain countries.

I have nothing against the shape or the functionality of the cars (if you buy one of these you don't give a fuck about going off road so suck it Clarkson), it's just the fact that you have 2 models occupying exactly the same space, only one is slightly smaller but somehow a lot less practical than the other. The back seats of the x4 are a joke.
I hate thr X4 and GLC Coupe, but here in Italy and Albania, the two places I visit often, they're everywhere. Same for the their bigger brothers.

If I'm not mistaken, getting a manual option rather than automatic in a car is more experience in the Netherlands due to the fact that the emissions are slightly higher. As a petrol head, I would go crazy there.

Yup, it's rough. Anything new and even the slightest bit sporty just isn't happening unless you're extremely well off. It's probably why you see a lot of people on motorcycles. Also fast and sort of affordable.

Pinewood

I think the GLC Coupe looks cool. Basically a sporty car with a higher clearance. I dont see why there is anything wrong with it or the X4 if you primarily drive alone and want to have a higher seating.

SliChillax

I think the GLC Coupe looks cool. Basically a sporty car with a higher clearance. I dont see why there is anything wrong with it or the X4 if you primarily drive alone and want to have a higher seating.

Because it's basically more expensive and less practical than the normal version. If you're going to buy a less practical suv at least you shouldn't pay more.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
For some reason, I really like looking at vans. I know it's not really that cool to own one, but I'm randomly looking up vans and sort of love the idea of owning this big vehicle that has sliding doors and can take some abuse from its riders.

Also, I saw this really old Honda on the road. It had a square-like rear end. I really liked it for some reason but I cant find it online anywhere. No idea when it was made, looks like 80s or 90s. Was it an accord?

So I have one last hang up on the V6. I hear Honda's next gen Accord is coming this year. This implies big changes.

It is also rumoured to drop the V6. Would the 9th gen V6 Honda cars then go up in price value?

Honda Prelude?
54e7fca61f88d018652a70f4ea3ee237.jpg

Hmmm. I think it was 4 door. I dont know how to explain it. It was the normalest car possible, but with a rectangular trunk as opposed to modern cars that are curved. It wasnt a spots car or anything

I'm actually in SF, haha.

I don't really drive it much, honestly. I take public transportation to work because driving doesn't make sense (would take longer with the traffic, plus cost like $30-40 in parking every day). So pretty much a weekend car, and even then, I don't even drive much on weekends =/

I know the feeling. I don't take my car out during hours where I can still see the sun in the Bay Area. It feels like there's heavy traffic everywhere and people just driving poorly, in general. But once 10PM hits, that's when I start taking the car out and stretch its legs. Weekends, that's what East Bay, Highway 1, Skyline, Monterey, and Napa Valley/Sonoma are for!

You should drive the car more often, it looks amazing and I bet it feels amazing when driving it, too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I have one last hang up on the V6. I hear Honda's next gen Accord is coming this year. This implies big changes.

It is also rumoured to drop the V6. Would the 9th gen V6 Honda cars then go up in price value?

Hmmm. I think it was 4 door. I dont know how to explain it. It was the normalest car possible, but with a rectangular trunk as opposed to modern cars that are curved. It wasnt a spots car or anything

1996_honda_accord_sedan_25th-anniversary_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

5512460003_large.jpg

90802041990219.jpg

honda-accord-1985-4.jpg

ZOONAMI

They will probably add a turbo 4 cylinder option that is roughly the equivalent of the V6.

Basically all cars are depreciating assets, but V6 will probably depreciate slower than a 2016 4 cylinder.

hwalker84

Do you mind me asking how much that cost you and which clear-bra brand you chose?

I've only got the ceramic coating on my charger for now but want to get extra protection on the front from stone chips and get the windows tinted since it's really starting to get heated up now. The only quotes I got before were for the whole car to get Xpel but the prices were far beyond what I want to pay.

Edit: Double post

hwalker84

$2300 for the entire package. Xpel, ceramic coating, and window tint.

If I didn't want to do the hood and fenders it was only going to be $1300.

SliChillax

Almost like when you buy a sports car and pay for form over function.

In a sports car, that form comes with handling benefits. You don't buy a sports car for practicality, you buy it for the sportiness and looks. That coupe sports car that is also available as a sedan will handle better as a coupe due do usually less weight. Meanwhile these coupe suv's are ugly (imo), have no improvements whatsoever and cost more.

ZOONAMI

In a sports car, that form comes with handling benefits. You don't buy a sports car for practicality, you buy it for the sportiness and looks. That coupe sports car that is also available as a sedan will handle better as a coupe due do usually less weight. Meanwhile these coupe suv's are ugly (imo), have no improvements whatsoever and cost more.

I went with a manual Tiguan instead of a GTI because it's more practical and cheaper. Did an apr tune and it's faster than a stock GTI. But yeah I admit it doesn't look as nice as a GTI. Awesome for camping though.

They will probably add a turbo 4 cylinder option that is roughly the equivalent of the V6.

Basically all cars are depreciating assets, but V6 will probably depreciate slower than a 2016 4 cylinder.

Bah. Ill just stick with the CVT. One day ill feel the thrill of a v6 but it seems like too much work to walk away from the dealership now

1996_honda_accord_sedan_25th-anniversary_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

5512460003_large.jpg

90802041990219.jpg

honda-accord-1985-4.jpg

Yes!! Closer to the 85 or 90. Is that an accord? I think the trunk was a little smaller but thats the shape

Isnt it nice? I like it a lot. Why dont they make cars like that anymore? Why is everything so curved?

Futaba

Honda Prelude?
54e7fca61f88d018652a70f4ea3ee237.jpg

I have a heavily biased and irrational dislike for preludes, and it has nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the massive trend in the mid 90s to early 2000s for certain types in the UK to buy and ruin these cars with mods you wouldn't even do in jest, stepping up to 3"+ exhausts for the tailpipe from oem size at the first joint just for looks, wings off of old subarus, bodykits that looked like they were made out of kellogs cornflake boxes, LED lighting more overused than 2015+ gaming pc components, and the tendency for the driver to be cruising with every single friend he has stuffed in the car at once, all trying to look hard and menacing.
In all fairness it wasn't the earlier ones, or even the newest ones, it seemed limited to the 4th gen only.

But that's just me lol

No Love

Banned
I have a heavily biased and irrational dislike for preludes, and it has nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the massive trend in the mid 90s to early 2000s for certain types in the UK to buy and ruin these cars with mods you wouldn't even do in jest, stepping up to 3"+ exhausts for the tailpipe from oem size at the first joint just for looks, wings off of old subarus, bodykits that looked like they were made out of kellogs cornflake boxes, LED lighting more overused than 2015+ gaming pc components, and the tendency for the driver to be cruising with every single friend he has stuffed in the car at once, all trying to look hard and menacing.
In all fairness it wasn't the earlier ones, or even the newest ones, it seemed limited to the 4th gen only.

But that's just me lol

3rd gen Prelude is still a really awesome looking car in my book. 4th gen was... meh

Just test drove a GTI. Wow! I liked it way more than I thought I would.

Nice interior, very quiet cabin, surprisingly nimble handling and plenty of power (compared to what I'm used to). The clutch was slipping on the demo car, so it was a bit weird at low rpm, I think.

Anyway, damn. I'm impressed. Nice cargo space too.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know they're jags and porsches, but I still feel like a ~$20K price difference is pretty damn significant for any car under six figures.

I'll definitely watch this when I work out tonight.

Can't say I'm surprised they were so impressed by the F-Pace; but I am a bit surprised they were so underwhelmed by the Macan.

J-Rzez

Went to put my summer tires back on and I found a nail in one. Its in the tread grooves, and when I removed it had one of the smallest leaks I've ever seen. Usually I never patch, but I'm considering this because it was a small nail like you would put into the back plate of furniture, or a picture frame. Its still leaking air hours later. Only notice it with soapy water. Damn..

Anyways, almost forgot its near that time for me to make my yearly trip to the NYIAS. Hope there's cool stuff there besides the Dodge Demon.

KrisB

Yes!! Closer to the 85 or 90. Is that an accord? I think the trunk was a little smaller but thats the shape

Isnt it nice? I like it a lot. Why dont they make cars like that anymore? Why is everything so curved?

The '91 was my very first car and they were great The engine was near indestructible.

Someone left very noticeable scratches on my rear bumper overnight. 2nd time this has happened in the last 6 months and no note even this time.

YsFaEJz.png

friday

Aerodynamic efficiency is a big part of modern car design. You're right though, a lot of Japanese and European cars from the 90's look much better than the current ones. I still think 80's bmw is the pinnacle of sedan design. Modern BMW is like the Toyota of luxury cars to me.

Yo does auto GAF care about the new Volvo XC60 that was shown today?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/refreshing-revolting-2018-volvo-xc60/

V90 is way more than I can afford but maybe a V60 would be nice...

The XC60 is nice but it's too small. What Volvo does very, very well is build safe cars that are just nice places to be. They're not exciting or all that much fun, but they're refined and stately.

I've driven the new XC90 and S90 and the S90 is the better one in terms of luxury. It's simply outstanding; nothing is overly fancy but everything feels "just right". I could drive that car for days on end and only want more.

Top Bottom