• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

ascii42

Getting an incredibly worrying warning when I turn off a Jetta.

Says something like "12v battery almost drained, please turn off infotainment" and then "turning off infotainment, battery almost drained"

What's this about? Why is the car drawing battery and why is the battery low? Car was bought used last week

I'd guess the battery is dying. They usually last around 5 years. Pretty much any auto parts store will do free battery tests. If not that, probably the alternator is the problem.

I'd guess the battery is dying. They usually last around 5 years. Pretty much any auto parts store will do free battery tests. If not that, probably the alternator is the problem.

Just got this vehicle last week and its 2016 model with 15K KM. So that's really upsetting.

Is it okay to leave the dashcam connected though? Im getting the message regardless, and there is no reason the dash cam would draw power when the car is off...

Im confused as to why the message appears after I turn the car off, when presumably, everything should be shut off. It seems its running on some kind of back up that has no juice.

I know nothing of cars/batteries so I'm kind of concerned. I guess Ill take it in somewhere.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Chrysler Capital's payment system is absolute shit.

I'm very fortunate to have the finances and payment options - and time - that it doesn't matter; but this is borderline unethical business.

Issues I've had so far:

1. Was told multiple times when buying the car you can pay via credit card. Awesome, free points! I even said "are you certain?" ... that is not an option anywhere. Apparently it stopped earlier this year. Not a big deal for me, but I'm sure it is for some. I just wanted a stronger chance of getting Southwest Companion again.

2. My account has been aribitraily "locked" three times now. You are unable to make a payment without calling. Business hours are ONLY Mon-Fri, regular hours.

3. The other day, when I reset it, I wrote down my UN and PW AND copied it into Word. Today? "Password incorrect."

4. Every payment form except auto-withdrawal from a checking account incurs a fee of a couple dollars.

5. I tried to set up auto payment and be done with it. It failed. Literally the first automatic payment I've ever had fail in the 13 years I've had my checking account.

... I'll call them (again) tomorrow and make my payment and try setting up auto payments (again), but not a good look at all, IMO.

v1lla21

Just got this vehicle last week and its 2016 model with 15K KM. So that's really upsetting.

Is it okay to leave the dashcam connected though? Im getting the message regardless, and there is no reason the dash cam would draw power when the car is off...

Im confused as to why the message appears after I turn the car off, when presumably, everything should be shut off. It seems its running on some kind of back up that has no juice.

I know nothing of cars/batteries so I'm kind of concerned. I guess Ill take it in somewhere.

Do you know how long the car has been sitting on the lot? Probably has to do with it. My car battery died the second week I had the car so I took it to the dealership and got a new battery for free. YMMV on that though.

Lizardus

Getting an incredibly worrying warning when I turn off a Jetta.

Says something like "12v battery almost drained, please turn off infotainment" and then "turning off infotainment, battery almost drained"

What's this about? Why is the car drawing battery and why is the battery low? Car was bought used last week

Did you ask them when the battery was changed last? Its a good practice to replace the battery when you buy a used car.

Is it under warranty?

SummitAve

Banned
Battery should have a date on it. For a mysteriously dead battery I would start with things like phone chargers or dash cams. Unplug everything go take it out for a drive and see if you're still getting the warning the next morning. A multimeter would help narrow things down.

boltz

The 12 V outlets provide no juice with the ignition off, so the cameras shouldn't be an issue. I've never had an issue with mine.

It's mind blowing that we live in an age where we have SUVs that are approaching supercars levels of performance.

The "quality" of Jeep is going to make maintaining that car pretty expensive lol.

Then again, the other SUV that does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds is the Tesla Model X and that car isn't exactly a paragon of reliability either.

When all is said and done, if you're looking specifically for supercar-class 0-60 and don't care about anything else it's still hard to beat the Model X's little brother, the Model S P100D which gives you 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.

ElyrionX

So I've decided to go ahead and get the C200 Coupe. I wish I could have gone with the C300 (or hell, the C43) instead but cars are super expensive here (Singapore) and I am trying to stick within my budget. I started off with the GTI as my top choice but the GTI is priced at a huge premium relative to the TSI here and the wife was not onboard with spending so much on a VW where you're paying so much more just for performance. There were also concerns on the reliability of the gearbox of the GTI. I also looked at the equivalent A5 and while my road test of it was nice enough, the design of that car is kind of dated and I hear about reliability issues with the gearbox on that too. Finally, I briefly considered the BMW 2-series as well but didn't like the fact that the cost of ownership is probably higher than the Mercedes.

City driving is all that the C200 will ever see so I'd imagine the power will be more than sufficient especially since the vast majority of cars here have no more than 120-150 bhp. The C-Class Coupe looks absolutely fantastic as well with a great cabin and that eventually tilted the decision in its favour.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I'm very fortunate to have the finances and payment options - and time - that it doesn't matter; but this is borderline unethical business.

Issues I've had so far:

1. Was told multiple times when buying the car you can pay via credit card. Awesome, free points! I even said "are you certain?" ... that is not an option anywhere. Apparently it stopped earlier this year. Not a big deal for me, but I'm sure it is for some. I just wanted a stronger chance of getting Southwest Companion again.

2. My account has been aribitraily "locked" three times now. You are unable to make a payment without calling. Business hours are ONLY Mon-Fri, regular hours.

3. The other day, when I reset it, I wrote down my UN and PW AND copied it into Word. Today? "Password incorrect."

4. Every payment form except auto-withdrawal from a checking account incurs a fee of a couple dollars.

5. I tried to set up auto payment and be done with it. It failed. Literally the first automatic payment I've ever had fail in the 13 years I've had my checking account.

... I'll call them (again) tomorrow and make my payment and try setting up auto payments (again), but not a good look at all, IMO.

Why not pay your auto bills through your bank? I pay all my bills with Chase and there's no charge.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Why not pay your auto bills through your bank? I pay all my bills with Chase and there's no charge.

I wrote a really long explanation of why... but then after two paragraphs realized I could probably fix the issue with a phone call tomorrow. So you know what, I think I'll try going down that route again.

EDIT: Also, is anyone believing the 1,023 HP rumor for the Demon?

I always thought the long-rumored 757 sounded really low for as much as they're hyping it. But if they can offer a 1,000HP car for under six-figures, that would be pretty amazing.

hwalker84

The "quality" of Jeep is going to make maintaining that car pretty expensive lol.

Then again, the other SUV that does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds is the Tesla Model X and that car isn't exactly a paragon of reliability either.

When all is said and done, if you're looking specifically for supercar-class 0-60 and don't care about anything else it's still hard to beat the Model X's little brother, the Model S P100D which gives you 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.

I have a 06 Grand Cherokee and that thing has probably cost me $2000 in maintenance for the entire time i've owned it and 140,000 miles.

hwalker84

I wrote a really long explanation of why... but then after two paragraphs realized I could probably fix the issue with a phone call tomorrow. So you know what, I think I'll try going down that route again.

I always thought the long-rumored 757 sounded really low for as much as they're hyping it. But if they can offer a 1,000HP car for under six-figures, that would be pretty amazing.

I've seen rumors all over the map. 909hp, 1000+, etc. We'll finally find out this weekend.

Amazing for who? What is the point of that fucking car? Am I the only one who thinks it's a ridiculous turd? There are a million ways to make a faster car for less money, so why does it even exist?

Edit: Maybe it's just me, but I see the advertising for that car and all I see is Chrysler jumping up and down waving their arms and screaming "See? See?! We're still relevant!"

J-Rzez

It's that time! 75 degrees, dry, and sunny, no rain in sight for days. Time to head out to the garage and clean up the RS from it's coating of winter garbage on it's paint. And, to get a fresh coat of polish on it for the inevitable tar spatter from road fixing over the next couple months.

So that great trip out to the forests in Asheville I took in my old 911 with its freshly rebuilt motor? Well it's back in the shop because it's leaking enough oil from the heads to start a smoke-show at stop lights. I thought it might have just been from the valve covers, but after adding about 2 lb-ft of torque to them a few times to their upper limit I've settled it coming from the head/cam-housing interface (and/or the rocker arm shafts within, which are actually exposed).

Guess how happy I am. -_-

Dropped it off Wednesday night and I haven't even heard back from them yet either, which probably means they realized they need to drop the engine and pull the heads and really, really don't want to do it for free. :/

ZOONAMI

Amazing for who? What is the point of that fucking car? Am I the only one who thinks it's a ridiculous turd? There are a million ways to make a faster car for less money, so why does it even exist?

Edit: Maybe it's just me, but I see the advertising for that car and all I see is Chrysler jumping up and down waving their arms and screaming "See? See?! We're still relevant!"

It's pretty much only for people who go to the drag strip regularly I guess. Seems sort of silly to have a challenger with only one seat. Yeah I agree if they went with a different platform entirely you could keep the seats, throw that 707 in there, and it would probably be just as fast as this monstrosity. I guess that's kind of what the AR lineup is for.

Why not just stick that 707 in a Giulia?

Edit: it looks like that is in fact the plan, http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/750-hp-alfa-romeo-based-challegers-future-dodge-muscle-cars

It's pretty much only for people who go to the drag strip regularly I guess. Seems sort of silly to have a challenger with only one seat. Yeah I agree if they went with a different platform entirely you could keep the seats, throw that 707 in there, and it would probably be just as fast as this monstrosity. I guess that's kind of what the AR lineup is for.

Why not just stick that 707 in a Giulia?

Edit: it looks like that is in fact the plan, http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/750-hp-alfa-romeo-based-challegers-future-dodge-muscle-cars

To these people I say: Get a freaking drag car. Why ruin a daily driver if all you're going to do is drag race? And it's not like you're really drag racing, you're just going to the strip to go fast, so everyone is going to know you're just some rich poser.

Edit: I feel the same way about supercars that are designed only for track use. Is an AM Vulcan cool? Yeah. Could you spend way less and get a way faster car? Yeah for sure (buy an old formula car). It's pure show-boating.

ZOONAMI

To these people I say: Get a freaking drag car. Why ruin a daily driver if all you're going to do is drag race? And it's not like you're really drag racing, you're just going to the strip to go fast, so everyone is going to know you're just some rich poser.

Edit: I feel the same way about supercars that are designed only for track use. Is an AM Vulcan cool? Yeah. Could you spend way less and get a way faster car? Yeah for sure (buy an old formula car). It's pure show-boating.

Yeah it's just a sort of a marketing gimmick to say look at this ridiculous car that no one will buy!

I'm intrigued honestly though by upcoming Chryslers built on the Giulia platform. Much lighter and better looking than the ancient charger/300c/challenger platform they keep rolling out. $25k or so for a V6 rwd Giulia looking 300C seems nice. Should be able to get and and a 500hp 8 in there for under $40k. Then I could maybe pick one up used for $15k or so in a few years.

ZOONAMI

Well yeah you literally could get an SRT6 crossfire for like 10k, do a few mods, and probably beat this hellcat at the strip for under $15k total.

See 3:04 for a Crossfire beating top gear in a viper.

https://youtu.be/b_c1H60zlW0

Skel1ingt0n

You know, I read a review for the Hellcat a couple years back that said something along the lines of "if you buy this car, most other car guys are going to make fun and tell you how stupid of a purchase it is or why some other car makes more sense, as if you don't have any idea what the car is other than the HP number on the spec sheet... .... but oh no no, anyone buying a Hellcat knows exactly what they're buying."

I think it'll be the same case with the Demon. I have not a clue how much it'll cost, but let's pretend it's, say, $95K. There will be a large portion who know they could build something faster or more "their own," but they don't want to - they kind of like the jaw-dropping that coems with the Demon. And of course, you have lots of old men who will garage it or never use it to 1/10th of its potential; but is that really ANY different than 90% of the retired men buying a Corvette, or young silicon-valley middle managers buying M3s and 911s?

Anyway, it's a stupid car, sure. And yeah, this isn't gonna keep carrying FCA very long. But in the short term, they're unique. And I like unique.

SliChillax

It looks badass and has 1000hp (assuming the rumors are true) from the factory with warranty. What's not to like? Not every car needs to be a track ballerina.

Ash_69

Drove the Camaro SS to see what the fuss is all about. Didn't impress me at all. Couldn't test drive a M4, but preferred the C43 AMG compared to the BMW 340. Still nothing special overall. Starting to think I may have to go with Porsche to get what I really want in a car. Will try the M3/4 within the next 2-3 weeks though.

Care to give your thoughts about c43 as a daily driver? How comfy and insulated is the cabin? The performance and sound are pretty self evident.

Edit- congrats ElyrionX. It's a beautiful car. Did you test drive any of the diesel variants such as the 250d?

It looks badass and has 1000hp (assuming the rumors are true) from the factory with warranty. What's not to like? Not every car needs to be a track ballerina.

Because 1000hp for anyone with under six figures in a street car really is getting to the point of alarm bells. This isn't a car that should be sold in a country that doesn't have graded driver's licenses. 16 years old? First day with your license? Here's a Demon try not to die have fun!

Edit: But this is becoming a larger issue in general. Not to be a stuffy old man but jesus how do carmakers get away with putting cars out there with 500, 600 or more horsepower?

Anion

Drove the Camaro SS to see what the fuss is all about. Didn't impress me at all. Couldn't test drive a M4, but preferred the C43 AMG compared to the BMW 340. Still nothing special overall. Starting to think I may have to go with Porsche to get what I really want in a car. Will try the M3/4 within the next 2-3 weeks though.
Have you tried the C63? Technically the C43 is actually a c400/450 rebranded as an AMG. It doesn't have the handmade engine, unless they changed that this year

SliChillax

Because 1000hp for anyone with under six figures in a street car really is getting to the point of alarm bells. This isn't a car that should be sold in a country that doesn't have graded driver's licenses. 16 years old? First day with your license? Here's a Demon try not to die have fun!

Edit: But this is becoming a larger issue in general. Not to be a stuffy old man but jesus how do carmakers get away with putting cars out there with 500, 600 or more horsepower?

How can a 16 year old afford insurance for a 1000hp beast? But I do agree about that fact.

Pterion

Have you tried the C63? Technically the C43 is actually a c400/450 rebranded as an AMG. It doesn't have the handmade engine, unless they changed that this year
They had no C63 available for a test drive. I would be interested in giving it a try, that's for sure. I already like the looks of the C43 sedan, but the C63 looks way better to me.

I am no journalist nor professional driver, but the C43 felt more planted to me than the 340i. Felt like it was hugging the road through the turns, more so than the bimmer. Whether it is true or not based on lateral g-forces is not really important to me. The cabin was quieter with less road noise at highway speeds. The interior was nicer than the 340i, but the upgraded sound system isn't as good as BMW's. The gear selector on the steering column isn't bad at all, and the exhaust/engine noise is nicer to me. That panoramic sunroof was also pretty nice. I've got to say that I was unable to find a great sitting position in the Merc and the seats are not as comfortable, at least on my short drive.

Regarding the Camaro SS, I know this is sacrilegious to some here but it just didn't feel fast. I know, crazy talk, but I know it was fast but it didn't feel that fast to me despite the speedometer climbing steadily. Weird... Reminded of the Infiniti G37 coupe. Read so many great reviews about this car, but both times I drove it I was so underwhelmed. Competition to the 335i? Don't make me laugh, they felt so different.

Also the interior is not my style at all and I couldn't care less for the engine noise. It felt so unrefined. I was disappointed. I might try the mustang GT and see how that compares. I also would like try a GT350. It mesmerized me last time I saw one on the streets a few weeks ago.

SliChillax

Regarding the Camaro SS, I know this is sacrilegious to some here but it just didn't feel fast. I know, crazy talk, but I know it was fast but it didn't feel that fast to me despite the speedometer climbing steadily. Weird... Reminded of the Infiniti G37 coupe. Read so many great reviews about this car, but both times I drove it I was so underwhelmed. Competition to the 335i? Don't make me laugh, they felt so different.

Coming from an M235i, the Camaro felt more refined. It felt like a solid piece of metal because the chassis was so rigid and it rode so much smoother than the Bimmer. My BMW is also tuned, it's close to 400hp and the Camaro felt just as fast if not faster. Are you sure you were driving the V8 lol? Maybe you prefer the earlier shove of torque that turbo engines deliver. Or maybe you were driving the manual, the automatic has much shorter gears which makes the car accelerate harder and the sensation of torque and speed is amplified. As I said, I have driven also the M4 and the Camaro felt much better. It's not the best thing ever of course, but for the price it's hard to beat. As for the C45 vs 340i, I agree. The 3 series needs a desperate refresh especially in the interior. Although the 3 series is the only one in its segment to offer a full leather interior which to some (me included) is amazing and makes the car feel much more expensive than it is while the C-class will always have it's plastics in plain view.

golem

Alot of auto loan companies are pretty terrible companies. My friend was looking at Jeeps a while back and I remember coming across their Yelp, looks like things havent been getting better haha

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chrysler-capital-dallas

Pterion

Coming from an M235i, the Camaro felt more refined. It felt like a solid piece of metal because the chassis was so rigid and it rode so much smoother than the Bimmer. My BMW is also tuned, it's close to 400hp and the Camaro felt just as fast if not faster. Are you sure you were driving the V8 lol? Maybe you prefer the earlier shove of torque that turbo engines deliver. Or maybe you were driving the manual, the automatic has much shorter gears which makes the car accelerate harder and the sensation of torque and speed is amplified. As I said, I have driven also the M4 and the Camaro felt much better. It's not the best thing ever of course, but for the price it's hard to beat. As for the C45 vs 340i, I agree. The 3 series needs a desperate refresh especially in the interior. Although the 3 series is the only one in its segment to offer a full leather interior which to some (me included) is amazing and makes the car feel much more expensive than it is while the C-class will always have it's plastics in plain view.
Camaro SS fiftieth edition or something along those lines. Pretty sure it was a V8 automatic. Again, not trying to rain on anybody's parade but I just didn't get what was so amazing about it. I am looking forward to the M4 test to see how it compares.

matmanx1

So that great trip out to the forests in Asheville I took in my old 911 with its freshly rebuilt motor? Well it's back in the shop because it's leaking enough oil from the heads to start a smoke-show at stop lights. I thought it might have just been from the valve covers, but after adding about 2 lb-ft of torque to them a few times to their upper limit I've settled it coming from the head/cam-housing interface (and/or the rocker arm shafts within, which are actually exposed).

Guess how happy I am. -_-

Dropped it off Wednesday night and I haven't even heard back from them yet either, which probably means they realized they need to drop the engine and pull the heads and really, really don't want to do it for free. :/

Urgh, I hate crap like that. And it's even worse when you've not had the car for a while and have had to shell out major money and spend a lot of time waiting to get it back. Hang in there and let's hope they fix it up properly this time.

Was waiting for my wife to come out from her parents house and took this photo. I thought it looked pretty, so I figured I'd share it.

NBmEfgq.jpg

Had a rough day at work...but this picture cheered me up. Something about it just screams class. Love the curves on it.

Also, I need to go home and play Persona 5.

ElyrionX

Edit- congrats ElyrionX. It's a beautiful car. Did you test drive any of the diesel variants such as the 250d?

Thanks! The diesels are not brought in here so, no. Besides, I didn't hear good things about the Merc diesel engine in reviews.

I am switching from a 100bhp Honda Jazz so it's going to be a huge upgrade in all aspects so I am pretty excited.

There are still things called speed limits and most people obey them. At least when they think cops are around.

Not a lot of people are out there like it's The Fast and the Furious street racing at 2 am. I don't think cars with ridiculous horsepower ratings are going to suddenly get your average guy out there drag racing and drifting on the streets at night.

Pinewood

There are still things called speed limits and most people obey them. At least when they think cops are around.

Not a lot of people are out there like it's The Fast and the Furious street racing at 2 am. I don't think cars with ridiculous horsepower ratings are going to suddenly get your average guy out there drag racing and drifting on the streets at night.

You would think that
I would probably end up leaving skidmarks at every stoplight until I need to get new tires

Anyways I heard my turbos blow off valve today on my commute, made me giggle like I little girl.

Futaba

I used to own a car that I built myself that pulled numbers of 1400+ hp, and I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, just because a car has the power available doesn't automatically mean the person driving it is going to be doing 160 in a 40 zone, nor does it mean that it's inherently harder to drive.

I'd actually say in many ways a car with a lot of horsepower is actually safer for a new driver than an underpowered box most people start with, because they can merge on highways and overtake faster without slowing/stopping traffic or taking a lifetime to overtake the vehicle in front.

Let's be real here, the kind of kid that wraps a car around a lamp post in his first few months of driving is likely the kind of kid that would do so if it was a sports car or his moms mpv.
Is it more common with faster cars? Yes, it is indeed, but that would be true if the car was 300hp or 1300

Pinewood

I used to own a car that I built myself that pulled numbers of 1400+ hp, and I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, just because a car has the power available doesn't automatically mean the person driving it is going to be doing 160 in a 40 zone, nor does it mean that it's inherently harder to drive.

I'd actually say in many ways a car with a lot of horsepower is actually safer for a new driver than an underpowered box most people start with, because they can merge on highways and overtake faster without slowing/stopping traffic or taking a lifetime to overtake the vehicle in front.

Let's be real here, the kind of kid that wraps a car around a lamp post in his first few months of driving is likely the kind of kid that would do so if it was a sports car or his moms mpv.
Is it more common with faster cars? Yes, it is indeed, but that would be true if the car was 300hp or 1300

Ive seen Tokyo Drift enough times to know that the Japanese police is unable to catch a car that fast.

Urgh, I hate crap like that. And it's even worse when you've not had the car for a while and have had to shell out major money and spend a lot of time waiting to get it back. Hang in there and let's hope they fix it up properly this time.

Yeah, they're replacing the valve cover gaskets, which are probably still leaking but...I have a feeling the real leak is between the head and the cam tower. Hopefully not but we'll see. Also, I crapped up my install of the front crank seal, so I'll have to do that one again myself. =X

Then what's the point of big horsepower numbers in a car that you drive daily? Personally I'd rather have 300hp than 500hp. I can still pass and merge just fine with 300, and the extra 200hp is wasted on the roads. Maybe on the track, but chances are you can't use that full 500hp around a course to its potential anyway and you'd be better off learning with 150hp.

I'm not saying that someone is automatically going to drive out of control, it's just that the potential for dangerous driving is that much higher when you've got nuts high horsepower figures, and it's very odd that we don't regulate that in any way at all.

Pinewood

I'm not saying that someone is automatically going to drive out of control, it's just that the potential for dangerous driving is that much higher when you've got nuts high horsepower figures, and it's very odd that we don't regulate that in any way at all.

The US doesnt. Some EU countries have waaaaaaaay high taxes for powerful cars.

Thankfully not where I am. God bless.

Futaba

Most countries have taxes/insurance prices that increase dramatically based on the type/performance of the vehicle, here in Japan, the cost increases based on the vehicle class, engine CC, etc, in the UK the chances of a 16 year old being able to legally drive a 1000hp car is low because the insurance for young people is insane.

You'd have to be pretty rich and stupid to buy a 1000hp car as a 16 year old, and buy it outright (because no establishment would willingly loan the money to a 16 year old for such a vehicle), and drive it like an idiot.

One could also argue that money shouldn't be the limiting factor. Outright ability should. But that would require maybe an additional license to prove and I guess that there are a lot of hypercar manufacturers that will gladly sell their, for instance, Veyrons for someone to run off the road and into a large body of water.

It's a complicated matter though, one that largely sorts itself out I guess. Consider for instance the enthusiasts that love their thoroughbreds and have neither the ability nor the inclination to drive them irresponsibly. Would they need such a license? They probably wouldn't, but who makes that call?

I would also argue, for that matter, that a sixteen year old who's high on something and texting in his or her gigantic SUV is at least equally dangerous as the guy wiping out his Mustang when leaving a cars & coffee.

Most countries have taxes/insurance prices that increase dramatically based on the type/performance of the vehicle, here in Japan, the cost increases based on the vehicle class, engine CC, etc, in the UK the chances of a 16 year old being able to legally drive a 1000hp car is low because the insurance for young people is insane.

You'd have to be pretty rich and stupid to buy a 1000hp car as a 16 year old, and buy it outright (because no establishment would willingly loan the money to a 16 year old for such a vehicle), and drive it like an idiot.

rA1btP9.jpg

One could also argue that money shouldn't be the limiting factor. Outright ability should. But that would require maybe an additional license to prove and I guess that there are a lot of hypercar manufacturers that will gladly sell their, for instance, Veyrons for someone to run off the road and into a large body of water.

It's a complicated matter though, one that largely sorts itself out I guess. Consider for instance the enthusiasts that love their thoroughbreds and have neither the ability nor the inclination to drive them irresponsibly. Would they need such a license? They probably wouldn't, but who makes that call?

I would also argue, for that matter, that a sixteen year old who's high on something and texting in his or her gigantic SUV is at least equally dangerous as the guy wiping out his Mustang when leaving a cars & coffee.

I think at this point we're just talking about the terrible state of licensing in America. Unfortunately having a license is practically necessary for survival for anyone living outside a big city so the requirements can't be overly strict, but we teach the wrong things and law enforcement focuses on the wrong behavior.

I'd love to see a revamp of the system, with tiered licensing and proper enforcement, but... welp. There are other problems to worry about first.

I think at this point we're just talking about the terrible state of licensing in America. Unfortunately having a license is practically necessary for survival for anyone living outside a big city so the requirements can't be overly strict, but we teach the wrong things and law enforcement focuses on the wrong behavior.

I'd love to see a revamp of the system, with tiered licensing and proper enforcement, but... welp. There are other problems to worry about first.

Yep, I suppose that's one of the benefits of living in The Netherlands, the requirements are rather strict for getting a license.

Top Bottom