• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Hey car-gaf, that S2000 thread reads clearly like those who don't know anything about the car except that it's a convertible. Anyway, here's my 2002 S2000. This is the most recent shot I have of it. I hope to wash it sometime this week.
cA4bwXi.png

Damn, Han's got an S2000 too. What a guy.

Alpha:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238589343&postcount=154

I wish someone would find that thread again. It's funny for some reasons I'll talk about later.

Oh shit I just realized what that post was all about hahaha.

Fucking LOL.

Speaking of which, Doug DeMuro said I should buy a 996 911, should I trust him or nah?

Stealth edit - Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216155&highlight=tesla

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Damn, Han's got an S2000 too. What a guy.

Alpha:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238589343&postcount=154

I wish someone would find that thread again. It's funny for some reasons I'll talk about later.

This forum is so confusing that it's impossible to wrap your head around.

Btw, my post in the S2000 thread about GHG's BMW X6 was referring to the fact that GAFers would go absolutely apeshit if they saw a thread about a big, garrish SUV, with a V8 engine. The general populous of this forum hates larger SUVs and they hate big engines.

A thread about both of those things would have been a gold mine.

boltz

I'd take reviews on sports or sporty cars from CR with a grain of salt.

For sure, they're just one data point I like to look at. The rest of the internet has come out with their first drives of the Si and it seems pretty solid if nothing exhilarating. Now I'm curious how much modding it can handle.

I finally got sick of gas station air pumps with broken and vague pressure guages and short hoses and bought an automatic pump (12v) after I got a terrifying tps warning at the top of a mountain pass

Anyone else used one of these? Did I just waste $40?

I have a Husky one that I keep in my trunk that is nearly 10 years old and is still going strong. It's saved my butt a few times where I had a slow leak and allowed me to keep rolling until I could get the tire repaired.

So Subaru posted this on Twitter:

With the hashtag #STI(is that redundant? lol) and a date 6/8/17.

Admittedly the hashtag got me tits up until I delved into it and found that this probably just the BRZ tS that was released in Japan back 2013.

If you don't know what the tS, it's pretty much a whole lot of nothing, just some seats, better suspension and that big ass wing at the back... and yes no engine improvements.

Laaaaame.

I'm not holding out any hope that we'll see any power upgrades before the next gen 86/BRZ (if there is one). And if there really is no power upgrade, this thing does not deserve a STI badge.

Futaba

Saw a few posts mentioning an S2000 thread, went over to check it out.

Glad that convo here is generally educational and respectful

Hey car-gaf, that S2000 thread reads clearly like those who don't know anything about the car except that it's a convertible. Anyway, here's my 2002 S2000. This is the most recent shot I have of it. I hope to wash it sometime this week.
cA4bwXi.png

I like it a hell of a lot more than your parking :p though iv had enough cars with dinged doors to know why you did it

I'm not holding out any hope that we'll see any power upgrades before the next gen 86/BRZ (if there is one). And if there really is no power upgrade, this thing does not deserve a STI badge.

I'm really not but it absolutely would get me inside a Subaru dealer immediately.

I've been wanting to test drive a WRX but I'm in no rush to do it since I'm still waiting for the new Si to hit dealers.

I'm with him on the 996. It looks fantastic, especially that 4S (or a Turbo).

His point about the fried egg headlights is so on point. I mean let's be honest, most of us wouldn't be driving Miata's or S2000's if they looked ugly and didn't drive good. I don't see why the same idea can't apply to a Porsche.

I've been resisting the urge to check prices but I might have to now during lunch haha.

Futaba

I'm really not but it absolutely would get me inside a Subaru dealer immediately.

I waited till 2014 for a turbo/sc OEM equipped version, at which point it was obviously never going to happen.

I'd just buy a 2012-2014 and a SC kit at this point, would be cheaper than a 2016/2017 with change.

I've been resisting the urge to check prices but I might have to now during lunch haha.

Is this the start of the 996 price bump? It's been a fabulous performance bargain for a while now, and if people start admitting it's silly to ignore them because of a less than beautiful interior and funny headlights the prices could start climbing.

I'd grab a turbo, myself. Those cars are unbelievably good for the price point, and can really only go up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That has to be shopped

Some of my most unpleasant dealer experiences have been Honda dealers being completely immobile on sticker price and suggesting "but sir, it's a Honda" as if it were a Faberge fucking Egg. So the idea of a grossly inflated US MSRP doesn't even activate my Photoshop sensor.

And a Sport Touring with its standard equipment is almost $28k.

$35K for the Type R?

Idk man.

Lots of competition at that price, I wonder what Honda will say to justify the price.

I waited till 2014 for a turbo/sc OEM equipped version, at which point it was obviously never going to happen.

I'd just buy a 2012-2014 and a SC kit at this point, would be cheaper than a 2016/2017 with change.

True true but if I was gonna buy an aftermarket FI kit for the twins, I'd rather get one on my Miata instead. Then I'd be able to eat Porsche's for lunch lol.

Is this the start of the 996 price bump? It's been a fabulous performance bargain for a while now, and if people start admitting it's silly to ignore them because of a less than beautiful interior and funny headlights the prices could start climbing.

I'd grab a turbo, myself. Those cars are unbelievably good for the price point, and can really only go up.

God I hope not. DeMuro's cool but I don't think he's that influential haha.

I looked and locally the prices align with what he said, regular around 20k, C4S around 30k and turbo's at 40k.

I'd love to get even a regular 996 but maintenance is my worry with it. How reliable are the 996's, even with the IMS being fixed?

NH Apache

Banned
Considering some used BMWs with about 12k budget. Looks like that gets me about a 2013 3 series or 2009 5 series. What models should I be looking at? Any years to avoid?

Also considering Yukons or Yukon style vehicles. Baby is coming in October and I'm worried about safety rating and baby carrying ability. I'm selling my Jeep and I'm currently looking at Yukons and BMW sedans, both of which I've owned in the past and really liked. Looks like my budget gets me about 2008-2012 Yukon Denali.

AlphaSnake

No matter what anyone says, I would not buy a 996. The hideous factor will simply never conquer the performance. There are tons of ugly or drab fucking cars out there that are faster and cheaper than my XKR...but I wouldn't buy any of them, and neither would many other people.

997+ and nothing else.

Considering some used BMWs with about 12k budget. Looks like that gets me about a 2013 3 series or 2009 5 series. What models should I be looking at? Any years to avoid?

Also considering Yukons or Yukon style vehicles. Baby is coming in October and I'm worried about safety rating and baby carrying ability. I'm selling my Jeep and I'm currently looking at Yukons and BMW sedans, both of which I've owned in the past and really liked. Looks like my budget gets me about 2008-2012 Yukon Denali.

Don't get an E60 5 Series.
They are maintenance nightmares.

God I hope not. DeMuro's cool but I don't think he's that influential haha.

I looked and locally the prices align with what he said, regular around 20k, C4S around 30k and turbo's at 40k.

I'd love to get even a regular 996 but maintenance is my worry with it. How reliable are the 996's, even with the IMS being fixed?

This isn't the first talk I've heard about the 996. I've talked to many at cars and coffees who are looking at picking up nice 996's, especially turbos, and it comes up frequently on the internet now due to their sinking prices.

No matter what anyone says, I would not buy a 996. The hideous factor will simply never conquer the performance. There are tons of ugly or drab fucking cars out there that are faster and cheaper than my XKR...but I wouldn't buy any of them, and neither would many other people.

997+ and nothing else.

It'll never be the prettiest 911, but it's a good looking car from most angles and you can play with the headlights to tone down the odd shape.

Also, you're not the only type of enthusiast out there. =P

I have a 2012 335i and love it. Bought with about 35k miles, have around 60k on it now, haven't encountered any mechanical issues whatsoever.

Though at your budget, I'm guessing the car will probably have some more miles on it (...and, for that matter, will probably be a 320 or 328 that has a completely different 4-cylinder engine, as the 6-cylinder in mine is a carryover from the last few years of the E90 335). So I can't talk too specifically about any potential issues.

$35K for the Type R?

Idk man.

Lots of competition at that price, I wonder what Honda will say to justify the price.
black_red.png

Some of my most unpleasant dealer experiences have been Honda dealers being completely immobile on sticker price and suggesting "but sir, it's a Honda" as if it were a Faberge fucking Egg. So the idea of a grossly inflated US MSRP doesn't even activate my Photoshop sensor.
This is why the dealers were acting this way with you:

69758794.jpg

Shadoken

So Subaru posted this on Twitter:

With the hashtag #STI(is that redundant? lol) and a date 6/8/17.

Admittedly the hashtag got me tits up until I delved into it and found that this probably just the BRZ tS that was released in Japan back 2013.

If you don't know what the tS, it's pretty much a whole lot of nothing, just some seats, better suspension and that big ass wing at the back... and yes no engine improvements.

Laaaaame.

Considering the fact that BRZ/86 with some performance parts go up to $29-30k. Would anyone actually buy a High-HP version of this car? It would be priced at least $35k or much higher. And thats not counting the additional costs for parts that might not be able to handle the extra power well.

I am sure fans of the car would lineup day 1 , but after the initial burst. You would have people going $35k? for a Toyota? why not get a used Cayman.

I think they should focus on weight reduction for the next generation and maybe have a better torque curve.

SliChillax

This isn't the first talk I've heard about the 996. I've talked to many at cars and coffees who are looking at picking up nice 996's, especially turbos, and it comes up frequently on the internet now due to their sinking prices.

It'll never be the prettiest 911, but it's a good looking car from most angles and you can play with the headlights to tone down the odd shape.

That headlight mod looks horrible. My biggest issue with the 996 is the interior, it's absolutely disgusting.

AlphaSnake

Never said I was. But I've met Cayman and Boxster owners at meets who specifically avoided 996 Carreras and chose to knowingly 'downgrade' because they can't get past the looks of them. When Porsche owners are avoiding the car to begin with, it already says a lot.

But I do agree that there are ways to pretty the car up - headlight tint and such being great options. Plus, I think there's a really nice set of aftermarket LED taillights that look pretty good on 996s.

maxresdefault.jpg

Porsche_996TT_Led_Tail_Light_23_1024x1024.JPG

And then you'd need to drop some additional coin for the interior by getting rid of that stock center stack and replace it with a nice touch-screen unit. So yeah, the potential is there. But it's stuff that the everyday buyer isn't interested in doing or is aware exists. Thus, they usually just jump into the 997s or 987s.

^ Why replace the center stack? There's nothing wrong with it, and a touch screen would be so, so much worse.

That headlight mod looks horrible. My biggest issue with the 996 is the interior, it's absolutely disgusting.

The height of hyperbole. You sit in one and it's just okay. There's more plastic than you might want and the layout is very 90s, but it's good for the 90s and the seats are rather nice.

Seriously what's so horrible about this?
CmkjcuJ.jpg

AlphaSnake

^ Why replace the center stack? There's nothing wrong with it, and a touch screen would be so, so much worse.

The height of hyperbole. You sit in one and it's just okay. There's more plastic than you might want and the layout is very 90s, but it's good for the 90s and the seats are rather nice.

Seriously what's so horrible about this?
CmkjcuJ.jpg

Well, let's be honest...it's seriously dated. It's a product of its time. It's an interior from 1998 (released as a 1999), so it's nearly 20 years old. I've also always hated that 'brow' line/bulge in the center stack where the two center vents are. It drives me mad.

NH Apache

Banned
Don't get an E60 5 Series.
They are maintenance nightmares.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a 2012 335i and love it. Bought with about 35k miles, have around 60k on it now, haven't encountered any mechanical issues whatsoever.

Though at your budget, I'm guessing the car will probably have some more miles on it (...and, for that matter, will probably be a 320 or 328 that has a completely different 4-cylinder engine, as the 6-cylinder in mine is a carryover from the last few years of the E90 335). So I can't talk too specifically about any potential issues.

Yeah, I think e90 is the sweet spot.

One of the ones I'm looking at (little high): https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/6154821488.html

But post 2008 facelift e90 with a six cylinder I think is what I'll end up on.

AlphaSnake

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I think e90 is the sweet spot.

One of the ones I'm looking at (little high): https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/6154821488.html

But post 2008 facelift e90 with a six cylinder I think is what I'll end up on.

That's a diesel, just keep in mind. A little more demand for them now.

Idk if a 12K budget will get you a 2010+ 335i, though. Certainly not one with decent mileage and condition. If you do manage to find one, go for the N55. N54s are great motors (I had one, a 2008), make slightly better power and all...but so unreliable. So very unreliable.

Just be careful with used BMWs that are approaching 100K miles. We've had a few folks fall into that trap only to find themselves shelling out money every few months on random shit that wouldn't fail on 10 year old Kias.

I sold my 335i Coupe at 50K miles because it started acting up a little bit and the CPO didn't want to cover a failing water pump.

Well, let's be honest...it's seriously dated. It's a product of its time. It's an interior from 1998 (released as a 1999), so it's nearly 20 years old. I've also always hated that 'brow' line/bulge in the center stack where the two center vents are. It drives me mad.

Yeah it's dated, but give it ten years and it's vintage! At least they don't have the massive 90s airbag wheels.

NH Apache

Banned
That's a diesel, just keep in mind. A little more demand for them now.

Idk if a 12K budget will get you a 2010+ 335i, though. Certainly not one with decent mileage and condition. If you do manage to find one, go for the N55. N54s are great motors (I had one, a 2008), make slightly better power and all...but so unreliable. So very unreliable.

Just be careful with used BMWs that are approaching 100K miles. We've had a few folks fall into that trap only to find themselves shelling out money every few months on random shit that wouldn't fail on 10 year old Kias.

I sold my 335i Coupe at 50K miles because it started acting up a little bit and the CPO didn't want to cover a failing water pump.

Yup, thanks. I see the n55 is post 2009. Seeing a couple f30s in the price range as well. F30s generally considered ok?

I used to have an e36 back in the day, which I coveted. It was a 94 318i that had been lowered and 5th changed ratio to be effective at 35mph. Very fun car. Not too bad to work on.

It may be worth it to go the ~$100 to have a local mechanic give it a once-over so you can verify that everything's in good order and there's not a hundred things about to fail.

100k+ miles isn’t necessarily a bad thing if the car's been maintained well. I had bought a 2000 e46 328i that had about 125k miles on it, owned it for about 4 years (only put around 15k miles on it though) and outside of normal wear and tear (oil, tires... air filters that one time I ran into in a sandstorm), the only repairs it needed was like a $300 O2 sensor and $100 on seperate occasions for a motor for each of the front windows. When I sold it, I think the front bearings were going, which would have been another couple hundred but otherwise it still ran great.

NH Apache

Banned
It may be worth it to go the ~$100 to have a local mechanic give it a once-over so you can verify that everything's in good order and there's not a hundred things about to fail.

100k+ miles isn’t necessarily a bad thing if the car's been maintained well. I had bought a 2000 e46 328i that had about 125k miles on it, owned it for about 4 years (only put around 15k miles on it though) and outside of normal wear and tear (oil, tires... air filters that one time I ran into in a sandstorm), the only repairs it needed was like a $300 O2 sensor and $100 on seperate occasions for a motor for each of the front windows. When I sold it, I think the front bearings were going, which would have been another couple hundred but otherwise it still ran great.

Thanks, yeah. I've bought 4 cars on CL in the past ~2 years. The investment of a hundo for an hour or two of a mechanic is most definitely required.

I've a guy that specializes in BMWs here so he's a great resource to have. Paired with AAA unlimited tows, it works out pretty well. Most seem to be hovering in the over 100 range so I'll keep a few hundred in the budget for fluids, etc maintenance after purchase.

Just saw a 2010 528i at 125k asking 9k.

Yup, thanks. I see the n55 is post 2009. Seeing a couple f30s in the price range as well. F30s generally considered ok?

I used to have an e36 back in the day, which I coveted. It was a 94 318i that had been lowered and 5th changed ratio to be effective at 35mph. Very fun car. Not too bad to work on.

F30 4 cylinders have big problems with the timing chain tensioners and chains.
F30 6 cylinder is still an N55 if you get an early one. N55 doesn't have all of the problems of the N54 but still has its nagging issues. (Like carbon buildup on the intake valves, cracked valve covers). Water pump and thermostat are still electric so that's around a 1200 dollar repair at a shop, but about 600 if you can DIY.

TylerD

Someone mention 100K BMWs? This happened yesterday. I've put 38K on it in 4.5 years

lb8Ni16.jpg

Just waiting for it to explode any day now!

KLUUkB6.jpg

NH Apache, may I introduce you to the E46 ZHP (performance package)?

You could get a nice sedan for 12k ;)

TylerD

I've chewed through my newer rear tires at a good clip and going to need new fronts pretty soon. Going to get a whole new set and thinking about trying out the Conti ExtremeContact Sport over the Michelin PSS.

The 996 is not that ugly. Especially with reducing the effect of the fried egg lights. Like Doug, I think the rear 3/4 and the rear in general is very attractive. That's what most people would see anyway! Interior is definitely dated looking, even compared to E46 but from everything I've read they hold up well and the materials are good.

Hell of a car for the money.

NH Apache

Banned
Someone mention 100K BMWs? This happened yesterday. I've put 38K on it in 4.5 years

lb8Ni16.jpg

Just waiting for it to explode any day now!

KLUUkB6.jpg

NH Apache, may I introduce you to the E46 ZHP (performance package)?

You could get a nice sedan for 12k ;)

I've chewed through my newer rear tires at a good clip and going to need new fronts pretty soon. Going to get a whole new set and thinking about trying out the Conti ExtremeContact Sport over the Michelin PSS.

The 996 is not that ugly. Especially with reducing the effect of the fried egg lights. Like Doug, I think the rear 3/4 and the rear in general is very attractive. That's what most people would see anyway! Interior is definitely dated looking, even compared to E46 but from everything I've read they hold up well and the materials are good.

Hell of a car for the money.

E46 is nice, added to the list.

Oh my, what's this? And in the price range, roughly.

https://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/6115880246.html

Datass?

I'm sure it's fine for carrying newborns.

AlphaSnake

Evo, how are Macan's leasing right now? What's the wiggle on negotiation?

My mom has interest in one. A standard 4-cyl with heated seats, backup camera. MSRP is $50K. But of course, the fine folk at Porsche don't disclose invoice. How much wiggle room is there on these cars? If the average Porsche sells for a profit of $16K...I'd imagine there's at least the ability to get one for $5K below MSRP on a mass volume car like a Macan.

I see some NYC dealers offering 10K leases for $499 @ 50K MSRP. But that's with a total of $5000 down (taxes + down + fees/reg + 1st).

Edit: Holy shit, TrueCar is saying invoice is $5K under MSRP. I wonder how much room below invoice there is now. LOL. This is going to be a nut I want to crack...a new car buying conquest for me.

AlphaSnake

In case anyone is curious, tuners are extracting nearly 500HP out of the Infiniti Q60 RedSport 400, and 430HP from the standard 3.0Ts.

Dynos:
https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/nissan-tunes/products/q50-q60-vr30-ecutek-calibration-kit-tune

Based on that, it also seems like a stock car. Sooo...there's a shit load of potential to be had.

Edit: An owner of a standard 3.0T made 400WHP with the same tune + downpipes. :O

I'm impressed. If I reach struggle level or my XKR starts to seriously degrade, I'd definitely get a Red Sport 400 if an F-Type V6 6MT is unattainable pre-owned.

Crayon

In case anyone is curious, tuners are extracting nearly 500HP out of the Infiniti Q60 RedSport 400, and 430HP from the standard 3.0Ts.

Dynos:
https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/nissan-tunes/products/q50-q60-vr30-ecutek-calibration-kit-tune

Based on that, it also seems like a stock car. Sooo...there's a shit load of potential to be had.

Edit: An owner of a standard 3.0T made 400WHP with the same tune + downpipes. :O

I'm impressed. If I reach struggle level or my XKR starts to seriously degrade, I'd definitely get a Red Sport 400 if an F-Type V6 6MT is unattainable pre-owned.

I don't know much about direct injection. Is it easy enough to swap injectors or are they more bespoke than regular ones?

kagete

black_red.png

This is why the dealers were acting this way with you:

69758794.jpg

I LOLed. I've been a type R fanboy since 2001 when my dad was gifted an import by his boss for his 50th birthday. I never did get to drive that outside of our neighborhood and 2nd gear :(.

Dealers in Atlanta aren't budging on $9k over MSRP for it. The only family-owned Honda joint is doing +$4k. Despite my love for it and fantasy of getting a white one like my dad's I really dislike driving manuals so I just bought a hatchback instead. I really am tempted to put VTEC stickers on this thing. It's ironic, I swear!

Interesting.

Back when I worked at that dealership we got a 996 and it didn't sell immediately, then again it had a shit-ton of problems like the top not opening or closing and some other shit.

More interesting is that there really isn't a lot of 996's being sold even here in DFW. I think I counted 5 within a 100 mile radius and all they're all private sellers too.

Lmao I'd assume the person wearing this shirt is a closet neckbeard.

Considering the fact that BRZ/86 with some performance parts go up to $29-30k. Would anyone actually buy a High-HP version of this car? It would be priced at least $35k or much higher. And thats not counting the additional costs for parts that might not be able to handle the extra power well.

I am sure fans of the car would lineup day 1 , but after the initial burst. You would have people going $35k? for a Toyota? why not get a used Cayman.

I think they should focus on weight reduction for the next generation and maybe have a better torque curve.

You're absolutely right, you can probably count the number of people who would buy a FI FRZ with your one hand.

Jalopnik posted an article about how much it would potentially cost Scooby just to R&D a factory FI solution and yeah it'd probably bump the cost up to $35K or higher. Oh well.

"Check out these ring times"

It is faster than a Focus RS. I'm not really surprised at the price, I think that's where it should be.

I'm not surprised at the price either actually.

Now that I've had some time to think, I have a feeling Honda is gonna position the Type R as their halo car to get people in the dealerships. But there's tons of people buying Honda's even before the Type-R so I'm not so sure about this strategy.

As for the ring times, let's be honest, your local HondaStanceBro isn't gonna know anything about the ring lol.

matmanx1

Having been burned before I don't believe I would own an out of warranty BMW. Too many things go wrong that, because it is a BMW, are expensive to fix unless you can do it yourself (which takes time, space and knowledge). My 09 128i (which had the non turbo inline 6) had multiple oil leaks, a failed thermostat and a bum ABS sensor in the less than 20k miles that I put on it.

I'm back to Japanese cars and feeling much better about life at this point.

Top Bottom