• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

My contact at the Honda dealer just told me something interesting.

Apparently Honda is being stingy as fuck with the Si that you can only test drive it once they've seen your credit and determined that your credit is good enough to buy it.

Basically even if you have money but your credit sucks, you can't even test drive that thing.

I've never heard of this before so I'm like wtf... I was gonna drop by there today but I still have other cars to look so I'll hold off on it.

Back then when you wanted to test drive a Nissan GT-R you actually had to buy it first.

I really wanted to test drive one.

Apparently Honda is being stingy as fuck with the Si that you can only test drive it once they've seen your credit and determined that your credit is good enough to buy it.

Basically even if you have money but your credit sucks, you can't even test drive that thing.

I've never heard of this before so I'm like wtf... I was gonna drop by there today but I still have other cars to look so I'll hold off on it.

The Si is the kind of car that attracts teenagers looking for test drives like crazy. I imagine they've got to have some sort of measure in place to cut down on that.

Back then when you wanted to test drive a Nissan GT-R you actually had to buy it first.

I really wanted to test drive one.

Lmao that's hilarious, who did Nissan think they are?

But don't you have one right now? Or am I confusing you with somebody else?

I just remember that somebody here has/had a GT-R and they had something to do with K-Pop. I'm the only other person here with a K-Pop avatar but I drive a Miata so... lol.

The Si is the kind of car that attracts teenagers looking for test drives like crazy. I imagine they've got to have some sort of measure in place to cut down on that.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the StanceBros... you might be right about this.

SliChillax

New F90 M5 partially revealed with the new NFS game
VXTI1HF.png

pm5UWTl.jpg

Lmao that's hilarious, who did Nissan think they are?

But don't you have one right now? Or am I confusing you with somebody else?

I just remember that somebody here has/had a GT-R and they had something to do with K-Pop. I'm the only other person here with a K-Pop avatar but I drive a Miata so... lol.

It's always been me. Im always mobile and I turn off avatar. Whats my avatar? Is it Nana or the pic of Yoona I took?

But yeah I wanted to test drive the GT-R..so I did.

...fuck that. I was planning on going this weekend to test one out. I have a 2014 Si so I'd have imagined it would have been pretty easy to convince them I was interested.

matmanx1

Hmm, that sounds heavy-handed and somewhat silly. I have flawless credit and no plan to buy a Civic Si but by their logic I could walk in to the dealership and go for a test drive whereas someone with less good credit who actually wants to buy one would be denied the same test drive.

Hmm, maybe I'll go for a test drive just for giggles. =)

I highly disagree considering tech gizmos as luxury but to each his own. And I've never seen anything uglier than a giant vertical screen in the middle of the dashboard, it's not even integrated in a beautiful way, it's just slapped in there. The Lucid Air, even though a concept, is what the Tesla should be in order to be considered a luxurious car. A bunch of cameras and giant screen don't make something luxurious.

I agree that the Lucid Air looks great, as do many cars coming out, but Tesla Model S has been out for years. It has a fantastic design, especially for its time.

As for the definition of Luxury car, I guess it depends on how you define it. I think people pay to have a Tesla Model S for the luxury of having all of the high tech features the car has over its competitors that do not have those features. Other people pay high prices for the luxury of having a quiet cabin with comfortable seats over technology.

Regardless, it's not a bad car. It's quite good, amazing even. Again, I considered it for its tech and the opposite was the Jaguar F Type, a completely different car. If I wanted tech, I would've went with Tesla, but if I wanted the sports car feel, I would've chosen Jaguar F Type. Someone above said the Tesla Model S is considered a "Premium" car and I'd agree with that if people are discussing whether it should be a luxury or premium car.

I agree that the Lucid Air looks great, as do many cars coming out, but Tesla Model S has been out for years. It has a fantastic design, especially for its time.

As for the definition of Luxury car, I guess it depends on how you define it. I think people pay to have a Tesla Model S for the luxury of having all of the high tech features the car has over its competitors that do not have those features. Other people pay high prices for the luxury of having a quiet cabin with comfortable seats over technology.

Regardless, it's not a bad car. It's quite good, amazing even. Again, I considered it for its tech and the opposite was the Jaguar F Type, a completely different car. If I wanted tech, I would've went with Tesla, but if I wanted the sports car feel, I would've chosen Jaguar F Type. Someone above said the Tesla Model S is considered a "Premium" car and I'd agree with that if people are discussing whether it should be a luxury or premium car.

All them labels confuse me...

When renting a car they have econ, compact, full, sadan...etc. I always choose econ cause im cheap like that..then they give me a focus..sweet!

Is chipotle consider a "fast food"? Is mcdonald gourmet burger really gourmet?

Is the sky blue?..oh crap it is..

When I was test driving a R35, they had run my credit before hand... But that's a more expensive car. I guess Honda is trying to thin out the people who are not as serious?

boltz

When I test drove a WRX last year, all I had to do was hand over my license and then I hopped into the car. I'm sure that part of it was that I had stopped by after work and didn't look like some random Joe looking to just hoon the car for shits and giggles.

I can imagine with the limited numbers of new Si's available at this point and the number people who want to try it out, I can understand the dealers wanting to minimize the mileage on them.

All them labels confuse me...

When renting a car they have econ, compact, full, sadan...etc. I always choose econ cause im cheap like that..then they give me a focus..sweet!

Is chipotle consider a "fast food"? Is mcdonald gourmet burger really gourmet?

Is the sky blue?..oh crap it is..

Good point. They confuse me too. I tend to click on an image with a certain car and they give me another car that isn't pictured. It's ok.

Chipotle is indeed fast food. I can walk in and out in a matter of minutes. And of course McDonald's gourmet burgers are gourmet. It's even in the marketing and marketing wouldn't lie, right?

As for the sky, it depends where and when you are. It could be polluted with a yellow-ish haze like in Beijing or it could be pitch black at night.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's what BMW is doing now, F22 is the 2 Series, F87 is the M2. F30 3 Series, F80 M3.

No, I know that. But they're using two different chassis designations (F and G) for the same car. If the new 5 is a G30. Why isn't the M5 a G90 or something along that line?

It's always been me. Im always mobile and I turn off avatar. Whats my avatar? Is it Nana or the pic of Yoona I took?

But yeah I wanted to test drive the GT-R..so I did.

Yup Yoona avatar.

I figured it was you though, the one I'm confusing you with is the poster in the Bay Area with a Ferrari and Lambo I think... idk it's tough to keep up on who's who by cars haha.

...fuck that. I was planning on going this weekend to test one out. I have a 2014 Si so I'd have imagined it would have been pretty easy to convince them I was interested.

Yeah it's probably easier if you already have one or show that you're a serious buyer. The reason why I'm not doing it now is coz I don't want my credit to be pulled yet since I'm not committing to buy until the end of the month.

Hmm, that sounds heavy-handed and somewhat silly. I have flawless credit and no plan to buy a Civic Si but by their logic I could walk in to the dealership and go for a test drive whereas someone with less good credit who actually wants to buy one would be denied the same test drive.

Hmm, maybe I'll go for a test drive just for giggles. =)

As mentioned above, I just don't want a hit on my credit since it's on the borderline of fair and good lol.

When I was test driving a R35, they had run my credit before hand... But that's a more expensive car. I guess Honda is trying to thin out the people who are not as serious?

That and to avoid the StanceBros too I think.

More probable is that there's just not enough stock right now so they're limiting it.

Chipotle is indeed fast food. I can walk in and out in a matter of minutes. And of course McDonald's gourmet burgers are gourmet. It's even in the marketing and marketing wouldn't lie, right?

Man I don't know about that. I had Chipotle for lunch and the line extended almost out the door. Thankfully I ordered online so I literally just walked in, picked it up and off I went lol.

And funny enough, McDonalds owns Chipotle so does that mean their food is garbage tier too?

Evo X

Think they would change their policy if I showed up in my car?

Lol

So, cargaf...

I have a 2013 Accord V6 with a 6MT. It's been a pretty great car, but it's a bit large, boat-ish and nose heavy for my driving taste. Prior to this, I had an 04 TSX that I absolutely loved to bits for its driving dynamics, styling and overall livability but wasn't a fan of the powerplant in (too anemic, not great gas mileage for the power.)

If I was looking for a smaller, more well balanced, driver oriented replacement that didn't attract the wrong kind of attention, what would you suggest? (You know, cops and ricer kids trying to drag race you at every opportunity.) Think total sleeper.

I have the S3 earmarked as a good choice, and the Golf R possibly as well. Anything else I should consider? The M240i catches my eye, but that's definitely one that'll stand out.

There's also the option of putting a better rear sway bar, upgraded brakes and a tighter suspension on the car I have now which might be a better option. Especially since the Accord is more or less paid off now.

What say you?

v1lla21

That and to avoid the StanceBros too I think.

More probable is that there's just not enough stock right now so they're limiting it.
Could be both tbh. When I test drove the WRX, Miata, and the golf R I just had to give them my license. My cousin got told that they'd have to run his credit when he was looking at the golf r but that was when they had just came out.

A part of me wishes I just paid the extra money for the Golf R. The GTI is the practical choice but damnit, I want AWD and the extra comforts of the R lol.

SliChillax

No, I know that. But they're using two different chassis designations (F and G) for the same car. If the new 5 is a G30. Why isn't the M5 a G90 or something along that line?

Maybe cause it's using the same V8 from the F10 but slightly revised? I have no idea though, they name stuff in a weird way, doesn't make logical sense.

Man I don't know about that. I had Chipotle for lunch and the line extended almost out the door. Thankfully I ordered online so I literally just walked in, picked it up and off I went lol.

And funny enough, McDonalds owns Chipotle so does that mean their food is garbage tier too?

You're right, the last few times I went to Chipotle for lunch, it's always been long due to the line... I didn't order online either. I guess that's what happens when there's too many people around here...

Lol

I don't know, it actually might work against you...

boltz

So, cargaf...

I have a 2013 Accord V6 with a 6MT. It's been a pretty great car, but it's a bit large, boat-ish and nose heavy for my driving taste. Prior to this, I had an 04 TSX that I absolutely loved to bits for its driving dynamics, styling and overall livability but wasn't a fan of the powerplant in (too anemic, not great gas mileage for the power.)

If I was looking for a smaller, more well balanced, driver oriented replacement that didn't attract the wrong kind of attention, what would you suggest? (You know, cops and ricer kids trying to drag race you at every opportunity.) Think total sleeper.

I have the S3 earmarked as a good choice, and the Golf R possibly as well. Anything else I should consider? The M240i catches my eye, but that's definitely one that'll stand out.

There's also the option of putting a better rear sway bar, upgraded brakes and a tighter suspension on the car I have now which might be a better option. Especially since the Accord is more or less paid off now.

What say you?

Since the V6 Accord is no slouch, I don't think the S3 and Golf R are worth new car payments over your nearly-paid-off Accord. Per C&D, their 5-60 times are within a couple of tenths of each other, so you're not getting much more straight line performance (not to mention losing the manual in the S3).

Do some light modding, save on the car payments, and enjoy your car for little longer, then see what's out there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Since the V6 Accord is no slouch, I don't think the S3 and Golf R are worth new car payments over your nearly-paid-off Accord. Per C&D, their 5-60 times are within a couple of tenths of each other, so you're not getting much more straight line performance (not to mention losing the manual in the S3).

Do some light modding, save on the car payments, and enjoy your car for little longer, then see what's out there.

This advice is altogether too even handed and rational.

GET A PANTERA BRO

cHMTB3n.jpg

DBK588K.jpg

StO1lLc.jpg

Makes sense.

Long story short, I think I can fix 75-80% of the issues I have with the car with a stiffer rear sway bar, HIDs and some brake pads. Any more than that, and you start pushing it price wise though - that's already something like 5K. Add suspension and you're upwards of 10K cost that won't affect the value of a car worth just under 20K one bit.

Or, you know, I put together 10K and have 25-30K in down payment towards an upgrade. But it's going to have to be a pretty significant one for me to consider it, and the budget would probably top out around 60K (can afford way more than that but, you know, retirement savings = life.)

So, cargaf...

What say you?

You could always do some light suspension mods on the accord and see if it changes how you feel. I did that on my volvo and it makes a difference.

Yup Yoona avatar.

I am from the bay area too!! But no ferrari :(

Mcdonald top tier! $2.50 for 2 mcdouble is unreal!...I add mac sauce too if I feel like splurging.

Lol

I went to a dealership with a crappy car and no one gave me service. Then I went back with a fancy car..right away the sales dude was like. "Hello, can I help you?

then I went "I was in here yesterday, you wouldn't wait on me.
You people work on commission, right?

Then dude went "Yeah"

So then I told him "Big mistake. Big. Huge!"

Lol

Hahaha.

I'd actually love to see someone do that. Show up to a Toyota dealer with a Porsche or something expensive and trade it in for a FRZ or worse, a Corolla lol.

Could be both tbh. When I test drove the WRX, Miata, and the golf R I just had to give them my license. My cousin got told that they'd have to run his credit when he was looking at the golf r but that was when they had just came out.

Yeah I've been to their dealership numerous times and they've only asked for a license when test driving, never a credit check hence why I thought it was weird. I'm guessing it really is because it's new.

You're right, the last few times I went to Chipotle for lunch, it's always been long due to the line... I didn't order online either. I guess that's what happens when there's too many people around here...

Online ordering is a necessity for me these days... I never order in-store or drive thru since my office is nearby a mall, high school and a crapton of offices and headquarters. Just off the top of my head, Pizza Hut, Dr Pepper, JCPenney, FedEx and Toyota's new HQ are like a 10 minute drive from where I am. Lunch here is absolute bananas especially since Toyota keeps adding 250 new employees a week to their new HQ.

This advice is altogether too even handed and rational.

GET A PANTERA BRO

cHMTB3n.jpg

DBK588K.jpg

StO1lLc.jpg

I third this motion!

I am from the bay area too!! But no ferrari :(

Mcdonald top tier! $2.50 for 2 mcdouble is unreal!...I add mac sauce too if I feel like splurging.

Damn we have a lot of people in the Bay Area right?

I can't hate on McDonalds tbh. They've been there for me for the times when I couldn't afford Whataburger or Chick-Fil-A.

Guys, I need advice regarding the price of a car. So lately I've been wanting to get my hands on a Mustang, but the price of the new models is out of my range. Today I was able to spot one at one of my local dealers. A 2009 Mustang with less than 13, 000 miles (seems really low considering where I live (PA, US)) at $13k. The car is in a spotless condition, and comes with a lot of features ( incl. leather seats wich are must for me.) The CARFAX report is spotless as well.

My questions are: would I be overpaying for this car? Any disadvantages of buying a car that "old"? What type of question should I be asking to the dealer? How much should I put down? ( I was thinking $4k to have lower monthly payments). Thanks is advance!!

v1lla21

Ive been asking for a bay area meet up since last year...someone set one up.

Meet at a Mcdonald parking lot.
Lol I'd be down for some McChickens.

I made a questionnaire to see if we can get something started.

For those of you in the Bay Area who'd like to partake in a car meet, quote me to get the link to the questionnaire and we can go from there.

Havoc2049

I picked up a Toyota 86 - 860 Special Edition in nova bomb orange with matching stitching this past Memorial Day. It already came with a TRD exhaust. I'll be getting some tint on the windows and a TRD cold air intake soon..

WP_20170529_14_27_07_Rich_zps3iy8c5fp.jpg

WP_20170529_14_41_34_Rich_zpscnykpaew.jpg

WP_20170531_16_58_28_Rich_zpssxej3ueg.jpg

Took it on some fun back country roads in So Cal.
WP_20170529_16_01_54_Rich%202_zpsohmc0fig.jpg

Futaba

I picked up a Toyota 86 - 860 Special Edition in nova bomb orange with matching stitching this past Memorial Day. It already came with a TRD exhaust. I'll be getting some tint on the windows and a TRD cold air intake soon..

Good man! looks nice, but not very taken by the back wing sadly :(

Futaba

Ya, it's a like it or hate it kind of deal. lol

Same way for just about any optional part really!

I was bored so I've been planning out my drift build today, picking up a second 86 with no engine or interior as a base for the project. (thank you people that blow their engines!!!)

q3xUWZ0.png

Still a toss between an LS3 and one of the other motors I have lay around for whats going into it, along with a redesigned subframe and most of the front support redone too.
Regardless of which route I take it'll have to be a rear mount radiator so I plan on cutting out the floor pans for what would normally be the rear seat and running custom channels up and to the rad. should be fun!

Shopping list so far:
Work Emotion CR Kiwami, White, 10.5J 22 all round
Tomei Xpreme UEL header
D2 R-Spec coilovers
Wisefab angle kit
Velox rear LCA
Godspeed billet CNC hydraulic brake
Runduce 6 pot calipers on 356mm disks front, reusing oem front calipers for hydro ebrake on rear

Fabrication list:
Secondary caliper mount for rear
Rollcage
Rear subframe
Front frame
Air channeling (Rad)
Air channeling (Front brake)
Sub channeling (Rad intake to rear dual caliper)

SliChillax

I went to a dealership with a crappy car and no one gave me service. Then I went back with a fancy car..right away the sales dude was like. "Hello, can I help you?

then I went "I was in here yesterday, you wouldn't wait on me.
You people work on commission, right?

Then dude went "Yeah"

So then I told him "Big mistake. Big. Huge!"

Haha I went to a Chevy dealership with my M235i to test drive a Camaro and they treated me like a god. Don't know if it was because they were awesome salesmen or because they really wanted me to switch from a german car to a Camaro.

Laws00

I believe it.

Went to the Subaru dealership and I drove a Impreza 2016 or 17 impreza when I was looking to buy my first car.

I drove the impreza thought it was okay.

They didn't have any BRZ and they had one WRX but they wouldn't let me drive it because they said that I guess they didn't want people to beat on it and put mileage on it because those cars are very particular about how you handle them

Maybe it was because it was my first time looking for a car and my inexperience too that led me to believe I wasn't "worthy" of test driving the car.

I know i'm VERY interested in driving a Miata and possibly owning one as a future car so I have that buying power with me now as that is the only Mazda i'm interested in.

Funny enough my dealership keeps calling me saying I was interested in a car but I don't recall putting my name or phone number out there for something.....must have been that sweepstakes i entered and said i was interested in looking at si and type r and now they won't stop calling every 2 to 3 days.

Bandit1

Congrats! Looks very nice with the special edition touches I think.

Same way for just about any optional part really!

I was bored so I've been planning out my drift build today, picking up a second 86 with no engine or interior as a base for the project. (thank you people that blow their engines!!!)

q3xUWZ0.png

Still a toss between an LS3 and one of the other motors I have lay around for whats going into it, along with a redesigned subframe and most of the front support redone too.
Regardless of which route I take it'll have to be a rear mount radiator so I plan on cutting out the floor pans for what would normally be the rear seat and running custom channels up and to the rad. should be fun!

Shopping list so far:
Work Emotion CR Kiwami, White, 10.5J 22 all round
Tomei Xpreme UEL header
D2 R-Spec coilovers
Wisefab angle kit
Velox rear LCA
Godspeed billet CNC hydraulic brake
Runduce 6 pot calipers on 356mm disks front, reusing oem front calipers for hydro ebrake on rear

Fabrication list:
Secondary caliper mount for rear
Rollcage
Rear subframe
Front frame
Air channeling (Rad)
Air channeling (Front brake)
Sub channeling (Rad intake to rear dual caliper)

Wow, sounds like an awesome project Futaba, I'd love to see some pics as you progress.

Futaba

Wow, sounds like an awesome project Futaba, I'd love to see some pics as you progress.
Thanks bro!
Will actually be starting a youtube channel in the very near future, in part to cover the various builds I have going on and in part because I'm currently in the process of getting a new business going, so I'm sure you'll be able to follow along pretty closely soon enough

SliChillax

Thanks bro!
Will actually be starting a youtube channel in the very near future, in part to cover the various builds I have going on and in part because I'm currently in the process of getting a new business going, so I'm sure you'll be able to follow along pretty closely soon enough

I would gladly subscribe

KRaZyAmmo

Thanks bro!
I'd also subscribe

Top Bottom