• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Also, lets face it, the first 5 minutes of Symphogear GX episode 1 are the best five minutes of the entire franchise. Literally worth watching even if you haven't seen any other episode in the franchise. It's all you need.

That was the high mark of the franchise. Got me so pumped for the rest of the season. It having such a better song than pretty much all the individual songs didn't help matters either.

just lol

I suppose that ass was suffering as it was shoved into the camera?

Just think about you and your friends join the same MMO at the same time, shortly later, while your friends and their group already become top-tier players and your group still in ~level 10 and trying to beat some weak monsters(and maybe can't even beat them.)
The author went 180 with most trapped/transfer to MMO-type shows.
I remember even MC's childhood friend died in volume 3.

wonzo

Banned
prison school 5-12 end

prisonschool7.jpg

utterly pitch perfect adaptation of a masterful work. anime of the… year!

Just think about you and your friends join the same MMO at the same time, shortly later, while your friends and their group already become top-tier players and your group still in ~level 10 and trying to beat some weak monsters(and maybe can't even beat them.)
The author went 180 with most trapped/transfer to MMO-type shows.
I remember even MC's childhood friend died in volume 3.

Yeh, butt...

unless this is purposely used in the trailer just to subvert expectations later down the line, I can't imagine this kind of shot to do an, apparently, more serious story telling any favors. It's actually the best way to ensure I won't take it serious.

And before someone tells me that this skimpy outfit is simply nature of that MMORPGs character design, while that may well be, this type of shot and framing surely is not necessary.

Yeh, butt...

unless this is purposely used in the trailer just to subvert expectations later down the line, I can't imagine this kind of shot to do an, apparently, more serious story telling any favors. It's actually the best way to ensure I won't take it serious.

And before someone tells me that this skimpy outfit is simply nature of that MMORPGs character design, while that may well be, this type of shot and framing surely is not necessary.
Come on, if it's fanservice show you won't only got one kinda fanservice right.
Guess i need to do LN defender this time lol: I remember the LN translate to english already(2 or 3 volumes), you maybe can try it, yeah it have comedy part but it's more to serious type.

Jintor

Did you not watch GATE? Log Horizon? Only Team Tohya is kids.

Loved LH. Haven't seen Gate yet.

Hope LH delves more into the real world stuff but seems unlikely to get another season until, like, what, another year or three. Surprised (but grateful) it got a second tbh.

Although it'd be nice if they got some decent animation too. Oh well. Can't complain I guess.

sonicmj1

"Oh that's some really nice background art, could be one hell of a beautiful... ... ... show with generic SAO plot and fanservice levels. Sigh."

I'm in no questions asked because of Ryosuke Nakamura, whose adaptation of "Run Melos" in Aoi Bungaku is one of my favorite anime works ever. His adaptation of Mouryou no Hako is also a dense, intelligent show, rich with symbolism and rewarding for attentive viewers. Aiura was ok too. He may or may not be working with strong material here, but he has already shown that he knows how to use the visual aspect of anime to bring something new to an adapted work, so I have a lot of faith in him.

I don't know how much fanservice is going to be in the show, but judging by how the battle scene was portrayed, it doesn't exactly look like a stuck-in-game power fantasy. Just going by the characters' body language, they seem very inexperienced.

Jintor

Hyouka 2

Bach - Cello Suite 1, Prelude | Faure - Sicilienne for Flute and Harp, Op 78 in G minor

So this dynamic is really, really reminding me of Kyon/Haruhi (unwilling 'normal guy' dragged around by female into stuff) except the production values are a lot higher and less bombastic than Haruhi (though it feels like the directing is kind of similar, but it's been a while since I saw Haruhi) apart from a few imagine spots here and there. I like the new girl immediately.

It's pretty cool that an episode set mostly in one location (library) which didn't involve any clues really kept me... let's not say enthralled, but at least not bored, for almost 10-12 minutes. I guess I just really like the character dynamics (and trying to see if I can listen to the Japanese and understand it or not). It's a really relaxing show.

I'm also invested in the mystery of 'what is that classical piece i recognise' except i'm cheating by using musical search engines

I'm in no questions asked because of Ryosuke Nakamura, whose adaptation of "Run Melos" in Aoi Bungaku is one of my favorite anime works ever. His adaptation of Mouryou no Hako is also a dense, intelligent show, rich with symbolism and rewarding for attentive viewers. Aiura was ok too. He may or may not be working with strong material here, but he has already shown that he knows how to use the visual aspect of anime to bring something new to an adapted work, so I have a lot of faith in him.

I don't know how much fanservice is going to be in the show, but judging by how the battle scene was portrayed, it doesn't exactly look like a stuck-in-game power fantasy. Just going by the characters' body language, they seem very inexperienced.

I mean for all I know this will be a well written, well produced show.

However, this is the kind of impression I get when I see the studio's decision to throw some low fanservice shots into the god darn trailer. Immediately tore down the great impressions the visuals alone build up to that point.

Jex

That was the high mark of the franchise. Got me so pumped for the rest of the season. It having such a better song than pretty much all the individual songs didn't help matters either.

just lol

Heck, it might as well be the high mark for what some might crudely call 'anime-ass anime' in this modern period of truly junky anime first ushered in by Code Geass and Sunrise diseases.

Really, I feel Code Geass, and the reaction to it's utter insanity, is what's lead up to this Valvrave/Cross Ange/Symphogear era of really specific trash.

Kyo Ani's 'Myriad Colors Phantom World' will start from January 2016
5620A867501960000C

http://phantom-world.com/

You had me at Kyo. I'll watch this.

Oh I didn't know that you actually started watching this! Looks like you are enjoying yourself. I REALLY feel like I need to rewatch this show. It's been 2 years. I don't normally go back and watch things twice, but I wouldn't mind doing it for this show.

Oh yeah, Hai to Gensou no Grimmgal TV anime announced
Coming winter 2016

Director and script: Ryosuke Nakamura(Moryo no Hako)
Character design: Mieko Hosoi
Studio: A-1 pictures

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpEaUKQVE00

Just watched the trailer for this too. Backgrounds look good. Setting reminds me of Southern Europe? Animation wise it looks great too. Seems to already have fan service in it. Hopefully that doesn't become the whole focus of the show.

Jex

Coming winter 2016

PV
Sold on the director alone. I feel, er, weary about the actual content of the story but I have faith in his talent. Kind of. I mean, this is a Light Novel we're talking about here.

Still, not exactly what I'd like to see him work on considering how thoughtful and considered his material for adults is. When he worked at Madhouse, with a consistent team of staff, he was able to pull of truly extraordinary work like Run, Melos! and Mōryō no Hako. Of course, no one is going to give him that kind of material because that's not going to sell anything. Only Madhouse were crazy enough to fund such mature, dense works. When you see those shows you can feel the talent of an extremely intellectual creator whose working in a medium that has almost no interest in such material.

Coming winter 2016

PV

Oh, Nakamura is writing? That actually makes me more skeptical than the source material. Ryosuke Nakamura is a very good director but a very bad writer.

Sold on the director alone. I feel, er, weary about the actual content of the story but I have faith in his talent.

Still, not exactly what I'd like to see him on considering how thoughtful and considered his material for adults is. Of course, no one is going to give him that kind of material because that's not going to sell anything.

It's not as if this is likely to sell much, except maybe cause some bump for sales of the light novel. With projects such as Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu getting made (with his partner Mieko Hosoi, no less!), it's not as if he necessarily had no other options.

Also, lets face it, the first 5 minutes of Symphogear GX episode 1 are the best five minutes of the entire franchise. Literally worth watching even if you haven't seen any other episode in the franchise. It's all you need.

Fuck yes!

I've watched that scene like a million times. PUNCH THE FUCKING MOUNTAIN!

I know S3 is stupid as fuck but I still love Symphogear so much, even if S4 needs to have more Hibiki punching shit and less silly drama.

Russ T

Banned
But the protagonist of GATE is 14 year old LN protagonist trapped in a mans body.

So... everyone posting in this thread! (Gender notwithstanding.)

---

The Perfect Insider 02

Yes, this is good, more good, yes.

---

Seems like One Punch Man, Haikyu!!, Osomatsu-san, and The Perfect Insider are the real hits for this season. Oh, and Owarimonogatari, probably, but I've decided I'm just gonna wait until it's done to watch that one. I've got a few other shows I'm enjoying (Noragami, Beautiful Bones), but none that seem top-tier for me. I'll also keep watching Concrete Revolutio for the spectacle, but it's painfully obvious at this point that the storytelling is quite weak. ):

Frustrated at the lack of Lupin III streaming availability (and the continued lack of Dragon Ball Super). \:

fertygo

Heck, it might as well be the high mark for what some might crudely call 'anime-ass anime' in this modern period of truly junky anime first ushered in by Code Geass and Sunrise diseases.

Really, I feel Code Geass, and the reaction to it's utter insanity, is what's lead up to this Valvrave/Cross Ange/Symphogear era of really specific trash.

Chuuni sub-genre is exist far long Code Geass sir.. its what behind Lelouch gesture like his quote and posing.

I'd say my hits this season so far, although I am watching a ton of stuff, is OPM, The Perfect Insider, Sakurako-san, Owarimonogatari and Gundam. I mean there are other great shows like Noragami and Utawarerumono, but I'd say the first few I mentioned are the ones that have caught my attention the most these past few weeks.

Sold on the director alone. I feel, er, weary about the actual content of the story but I have faith in his talent. Kind of. I mean, this is a Light Novel we're talking about here.

Still, not exactly what I'd like to see him work on considering how thoughtful and considered his material for adults is. When he worked at Madhouse, with a consistent team of staff, he was able to pull of truly extraordinary work like Run, Melos! and Mōryō no Hako. Of course, no one is going to give him that kind of material because that's not going to sell anything. Only Madhouse were crazy enough to fund such mature, dense works. When you see those shows you can feel the talent of an extremely intellectual creator whose working in a medium that has almost no interest in such material.

Hmm maybe I should give that a go. Every now and then I discover brilliant anime like Aoi Hana and Koi Kaze that are superbly written and well directed, but probably never sold well.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry 01-02

The other show Shouta's post made me interested in. The fight was interesting enough to keep me interested. Oh and god damn episode 02 went Testament levels of lewd with her cleaning his back with her huge knockers. Tsunderes aren't supposed to be that perverted! So far not as good as Asterisk was but not so terrible that I won't continue with it.

Coming winter 2016

PV

Despite this being a LN, I checked out the synopsis and honestly, it seems kind of interesting.

I mean it's obviously nothing revolutionary, but at least it's not LN ecchi harem 3621 or something. This feels like it has potential at least.

Yeh, butt...

It was only there for a second. A show having tiny bits of fanservice here and there doesn't automatically make it a bad show. If the characters, writing, and everything else is ok, then a little bit of fanservice here and there is all right.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ushio and Tora Episode 16:

Ushio shows up how to be a hero but at a very great cost and we get the youkai version of The Fantastic Voyage.

Grzi

Ushio and Tora Episode 16:

Ushio shows up how to be a hero but at a very great cost and we get the youkai version of The Fantastic Voyage.

Since taking a break from anime this Summer I kind of put all of the Summer shows on hold. Ushio and Tora seemed very promising (only saw the first episode), did it deliver on the hot blooded shounen sakuga action I was expecting from it? Is it worth catching up on?

It was only there for a second. A show having tiny bits of fanservice here and there doesn't automatically make it a bad show. If the characters, writing, and everything else is ok, then a little bit of fanservice here and there is all right.

See, it's not 'alright'. Fanservice, by my definition, is distracting and disrespectful not just to the audience but even the property itself.

I still love Shokugeki no Soma even though that had a bunch of fanservice, too (note that most of the foodgasms aren't considered fanservice by me, but e.g. random boob bouncing shots are). It would've been even better without though.

I'm not saying this show is shit because of this one short moment I've seen in a trailer. My expectations however have been lowered substantially, because if that's what you choose to put in a trailer...yikes. I'd be even less interested if I were told the director himself is responsible for this (part of the) trailer. But that may have been the studio's decision and not his personal one.

Since taking a break from anime this Summer I kind of put all of the Summer shows on hold. Ushio and Tora seemed very promising (only saw the first episode), did it deliver on the hot blooded shounen sakuga action I was expecting from it? Is it worth catching up on?

I don't know if sakuga except for a few scenes but the art style and intense colors/designs are very appealing to the eye. The show looks decent but I've never thought it was top tier animation.

The early episodes are very monster of the week as you get to know the setting and characters, and in the episodes now there IS a main plot but as they basically move that along there are still monsters each episode that they fight as a side thing.

You watch the show for the banter of Ushio and Tora though, they carry the show with their charm and personality.

Dead

well not really...yet

Code Geass was the blossoming of the seed. The seed was planted by My Hime.

Russ T

Banned
See, it's not 'alright'. Fanservice, by my definition, is distracting and disrespectful not just to the audience but even the property itself.

I still love Shokugeki no Soma even though that had a bunch of fanservice, too (not that most of the foodgasms aren't considered fanservice by me, but e.g. random boob bouncing shots are). It would've been even better without though.

I'm not saying this show is shit because of this one short moment I've seen in a trailer. My expectations however have been lowered substantially, because if that's what you choose to put in a trailer...yikes. I'd be even less interested if I were told the director himself is responsible for this (part of the) trailer. But that may have been the studio's decision and not his personal one.

FWIW, I was similarly immediately put off.

It was like, "ooh, this is looking really nice, yeah, yeah, I dig it, shove it in my fa--" *big ol butt in my face*

thanks anime

yer a real pal

Considering this industry, I can't blame them.

Yes and no. By catering to these fanservice needy groups you're doing your own part in actually forming the industry that way.

Granted, one could argue that it has become sort of a necessity at this point but I don't quite want to believe that.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes and no. By catering to these fanservice needy groups you're doing your own part in actually forming the industry that way.

Granted, one could argue that it has become sort of a necessity at this point but I don't quite want to believe that.

Sex sells. That's true of almost every industry and it's certainly true for the anime/manga one. Even more 'mature' shows aren't immune to that rule. I wouldn't say it's a necessity for your work to be lewd but it seemingly doesn't hurt either.

Honestly though some generic ass shot isn't exactly a sin.

DiGiKerot

Code Geass was the blossoming of the seed. The seed was planted by My Hime.

Nah, Symphogear, at least, is a very clear continuation of what was going on with Nanoha, particularly through A's and StrikerS - that is, it's a magical girl show which plays in the field of super robots shows, coopting a lot of the miltaty SF tropes you see in things like GaoGaiGar (or many of the other Brave shows) or the SRW games and what-not. A lot of the way it handles itself is very much inspired by the structure and pacing of A's.

Ascheroth

Heavy Object - 03

Looks like the first arc is over and I have to say it was a fun ride. Qwenthur and Havia make a good team. I found it refreshing how the show acknowledged the impractical design of the enemy mech and even made Qwenthurs initial plan use it against them.
I was kinda surprised at the last few minutes because it felt like a conclusive ending right here and there, but no, the last seconds turned it around and sent them to another battlefield.

Well Valvrave and Cross Ange yes but Symphogear is about singing and magical girl mech suits so that's kind of away from the Geass brand of crazy. It does have a bunch of ridiculous twists though even Doctor Ver can't match up to the stuff that happens in Geass

Shows put lots of fanservice in when they have no faith in the strength of their own ideas.

Explain Prison School then!

Does anime have japanese outspoken critics hoping to change the insane amount of fan service?

I know it's a niche audience but it has garnered enough attention globally that just like with video game critics and developers attempting to not have every woman in a battle bikini, it'd be nice if somebody out there was trying to take anime out of this rut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom