• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Does anime have japanese outspoken critics hoping to change the insane amount of fan service?

I know it's a niche audience but it has garnered enough attention globally that just like with video game critics and developers attempting to not have every woman in a battle bikini, it'd be nice if somebody out there was trying to take anime out of this rut.

Miyazaki lol

Noragami S2 Episode 3
download.png

Yeah, this guy looks trustworthy right here.

Awwww, they're sweet on each other.

Wow, that is a lot of fanservice right there.

Fuck off Nora. No one likes you.

Good episode, though this season seems to suffer from a bit of a problem. If people just stopped and talked in Noragami, a lot of issues could be averted. In some regards that can be acceptable, since a lot of these characters are very vulnerable right now, but it was especially pronounced in this ep.

pbayne

Does anime have japanese outspoken critics hoping to change the insane amount of fan service?

I know it's a niche audience but it has garnered enough attention globally that just like with video game critics and developers attempting to not have every woman in a battle bikini, it'd be nice if somebody out there was trying to take anime out of this rut.

Anno's hate for otaku is pretty well known and shown in End of Eva.

Cornbread78

Cross Game ep.21-29
A lot of baseball in here, but the series takes me back to my childhood and I'm really enjoying it. Probably too much at this point, but it is REALLY good.. That constant reminder though still really hurts and his growth struggle is subtle but consistant.

trejo

Kyo Ani's 'Myriad Colors Phantom World' will start from January 2016
5620A867501960000C

http://phantom-world.com/

The story of the original novel takes place in the near future, in a world born of human imagination. What humans would call ghosts or monsters appear, and they come to be called "phantoms." The main character, Haruhiko Ichijō, is a first year at Hosea Academy along with his upperclassman Mai Kawakami, who fights phantoms with the ability "Spirit of Five Elements," Izumi Reina, who has the ability "Phantom Eater," and Koito Minase, who fights phantoms in solitude. They experience the ups and downs of high school life before a certain incident leads them to the truth of this world.

Lol, The synopsis alone makes Beyond the Boundary sound better in comparison. Sasuga Kyoanus.

pbayne

Noragami S2 Episode 3
download.png

Yeah, this guy looks trustworthy right here.

Awwww, they're sweet on each other.

Wow, that is a lot of fanservice right there.

Fuck off Nora. No one likes you.

Good episode, though this season seems to suffer from a bit of a problem. If people just stopped and talked in Noragami, a lot of issues could be averted. In some regards that can be acceptable, since a lot of these characters are very vulnerable right now, but it was especially pronounced in this ep.

Nail on the head.

I was pulling my hair out in season one since all Yukine's problems could have been avoided if Yato ever bothered to explain anything to him.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yamakan (lol)
=================================

Subete ga F ni naru 2

So, Moe is ojousama character with her own butler at service. Such lust for her teacher
Oh man, the comparison between Moe and Magata, the glitch in the system, the eerie looking Magata. Maybe... Magata actually already death and is actually an A.I? I enjoy it so far.

Nail on the head.

I was pulling my hair out in season one since all Yukine's problems could have been avoided if Yato ever bothered to explain anything to him.

Yeah, it is something that can definitely turn people away from Noragami. And I don't blame them. Weirdly enough I'm not terribly bothered by it in Noragami, but it's turned me off a lot of other shows. (Looking at you, Game of Thrones.)

phaze

Kagewani 03

RIP
Eren.

Blood-C 09-10

That classroom massacre ... I didn't think they would go that far lol. Even named characters with quite a bit of screen time bought the farm.

Jarmel

Banned
Hackadoll-3
xkjGEBh.jpg

Wolf girls truly are the deadliest of all of God's creatures.
Still really enjoying this. It's light, fun, and has a ton of energy. The short run time also prevents the show from overstaying its welcome.

Qurupeke

Noragami Aragoto 3

That doctor is creepy AND annoying, I like him. I guess he's a Nora too, that's why he works with OG Nora. A nice twist, as it was disappointing that Kazuma showed up. And that gothic girl is so stupid. Also, was I too naive to think that it would be Hiyori vs pink haired goth? :(

Oh, also Yukine is still crying this season.

I went on Daisuki to watch the latest Idolm@ster episode but before I could click on it an other, newly added shot caught my eye. After the masterpiece that is Milpom I couldn't resist on clicking on this and after watching it I was pleasantly suprised, the show in question is ANIGE ☆ ELEVEN! but the subs calls it Anigame Eleven so I don't know what to believe.

Anyway, it was some talkshow about anime and games (what a suprise!), it started of odd with the host talking to this weird creature.

Then it got even weirder, a guest suddenly appeared out of nowhere and everyone started to eat cake.

They talked a bit but that was rather boring. What I did like were some of the random segments, we got to see some random games and people really excited for that new JoJo game.

Then there was a top 11 of shows with the most twitter followers or something, some part of me enjoyed seeing Osumatsu-san and One Punch Man getting destroyed by shows like Diabolik Lovers and K:Return of Kings. While the list was overall pretty bad, in the end Japan didn't betray us.

Then they resumed talking with the guest, it was about how her VA work of the main girl in Comet Lucifer, it was kinda neat.

I don't know why I bothered to post this...

Chuuni sub-genre is exist far long Code Geass sir.. its what behind Lelouch gesture like his quote and posing.

"Chuuni" sub-genre I think is more realated to the typical fantasy schlock/garbage. Like, generic high fantasy with elves and orcs and heroes, or vampires or demons or magical societies, with mystical powers and swords that speak, and save the world, and plenty of grandiose for the protagonist so the reader can self-insert.

Code Geass and their descendants are what I would call "cheap high thrills" series. Stories that search to give the consumers lots of twists and surprises and a high intensity story in general, that leaves you without breath, be in the form of action, drama or love, more usually a mix. Which doesn't sound that bad, but most of them don't have the writing chops to do it well.

Sex sells. That's true of almost every industry and it's certainly true for the anime/manga one. Even more 'mature' shows aren't immune to that rule. I wouldn't say it's a necessity for your work to be lewd but it seemingly doesn't hurt either.

Honestly though some generic ass shot isn't exactly a sin.

While the inclusion of sexualized shots of female characters is done with the aim of appealing to a certain audience, the situation isn't as simple as "Fanservice makes anime sell." If you look at the sales charts, there is not really that much correlation between the level of sexual content in a show and how financially successful it is.

I think some people have a slight misunderstanding of what the Japanese otaku market is looking for when they decide to financially invest in anime. From my observation of that scene and acquaintance with people in it, the primary motivation is how appealing they find the characters. If a series has characters which cause people to fawn over them, then those people will want to invest in the discs, the merchandise, the source material, etc. While sexualized visuals can contribute to that desire, I think the primary factor is the personality traits of the character. While that can have a sexual fetish component to it, in that people will have desires for certain character types, it's not exclusively related to what is commonly referred to as "fanservice".

phaze

Noragami Aragato 03

Another good episode. Kinda surprised at how much I'm enjoying this season given that I didn't find the first season all that alluring. I suppose it comes down to having already established characters and following a main plotline from the get go.

Jarmel

Banned
While the inclusion of sexualized shots of female characters is done with the aim of appealing to a certain audience, the situation isn't as simple as "Fanservice makes anime sell." If you look at the sales charts, there is not really that much correlation between the level of sexual content in a show and how financially successful it is.

I think some people have a slight misunderstanding of what the Japanese otaku market is looking for when they decide to financially invest in anime. From my observation of that scene and acquaintance with people in it, the primary motivation is how appealing they find the characters. If a series has characters which cause people to fawn over them, then those people will want to invest in the discs, the merchandise, the source material, etc. While sexualized visuals can contribute to that desire, I think the primary factor is the personality traits of the character. While that can have a sexual fetish component to it, in that people will have desires for certain character types, it's not exclusively related to what is commonly referred to as "fanservice".

Eh I sorta disagree. Well I suppose it first off depends on what you define as sexual content but there are quite a few number of shows that have 'fanservice' or whatever and sell by the boatloads. Both fujoshi and otaku can sexualize damn near anything and ship even platonic friendships so there is that angle. However fanservice isn't really viewed as a detriment. Of course there are bad shows with fanservice that don't sell but it's not some inherent negative. You can't just pump out tits and expect a work to break 10k but doing boob shots isn't going to notably subtract from your BD sales either. It especially might help when you need to pump out that merchandise.

Dakimura exist for a reason.

Eh I sorta disagree. Well I suppose it first off depends on what you define as sexual content but there are quite a few number of shows that have 'fanservice' or whatever and sell by the boatloads. Both fujoshi and otaku can sexualize damn near anything and ship even platonic friendships so there is that angle. However fanservice isn't really viewed as a detriment. Of course there are bad shows with fanservice that don't sell but it's not some inherent negative. You can't just pump out tits and expect a work to break 10k but doing boob shots isn't going to notably subtract from your BD sales either. It especially might help when you need to pump out that merchandise.

I certainly wasn't saying that it will negatively impact a show's financial success in the otaku market, but I don't think it is an inherent positive either.

JulianImp

Hyouka 1 & 2

Interesting show so far, even though nothing particularily noteworthy is happening yet (mostly character introductions so far). For some reason, Chitanda thinking that the MC might be able to X makes me think her reason for approaching the guy might be similar to what happened in Welcome to the NHK.

I also appreciate the classical music used for the show's soundtrack, and I guess it might've been really helpful for lowering costs from the production side of things as opposed to having original BGM.

Subete ga F ni naru (Perfect Insider) 2
The show's still defining the characters, but it looks like things will get pretty interesting with what happened in the last couple minutes. I agree with the theory that Magata might be dead, her conciousness (possibly) uploaded into a computer system or something.

Man, Magata's little sister sure is bold! Nishinosono beats around the bush but is kind of bold as well in her own way, and her lies are childish and innocent enough that most other people easily see through them. Still, I wonder what's going to happen with the rest of the people in the camping trip, since none of them loked like they'd be all that relevant for the plot.

Ascheroth

Ushio to Tora - 16

Really good episode. Reminded me a bit of The Lovers in Stardust Crusaders.
Action was nice, soundtrack was on point and the scene at the end sent chills down my spine. The Bast Spear is brutal. I really want to know how this will turn out.

Hyouka 1 & 2

I also appreciate the classical music used for the show's soundtrack, and I guess it might've been really helpful for lowering costs from the production side of things as opposed to having original BGM.

The classical pieces used in the Hyouka soundtrack were arranged by the show's composer, Kouhei Tanaka (some in multiple versions), and there are only around 4 preexisting pieces used in the show as compared to the many pieces of original music Tanaka created for it and recorded with orchestral instruments. The reason Bach and Faure are quoted is for artistic reasons, not financial. Hyouka is not a cheap show.

JulianImp

The classical pieces used in the Hyouka soundtrack were arranged by the show's composer, Kouhei Tanaka (some in multiple versions), and there are only around 4 preexisting pieces used in the show as compared to the many pieces of original music Tanaka created for it and recorded with orchestral instruments. The reason Bach and Faure are quoted is for artistic reasons, not financial. Hyouka is not a cheap show.

Interesting. Whenever I hear public domain music I default to thinking it was used for the lower production costs. Then again, I haven't seen anything but the first two episodes yet, so I can't quite comment on the show's themes and how classical music helps them.

Explain Prison School then!

If nudity, titillation etc. has a point in show itself, as clearly the case with Prison School, I wouldn't call it fanservice. It's part of the 'narrative' and themes after all. Similar goes for most ecchi shows where titillating the audience is what the shows are primarily about.

javac

As a person who is adverse to any type of change, it goes without saying that I don't like the MAL redesign. I guess you can have more than 5 faves now...yay?

As someone that likes well designed websites - eh, did they even change much? Still looks butt-ugly and the search function is as ass as ever.

as ass as... heh

javac

The profile page has been changed quite a bit. Looks really ugly, plus for some reason all of the thumbnails are really aliased.

JulianImp

I agree that fanservice allows a show to sell more merchandise, but I don't necesarily see it as a good thing since it further widens the gap between otakus that gobble fanservice up and non-otakus who are actually put off by it. Fanservice that works organically as part of the shows' themes or intentions is forgiveable, but randomly adding fanservice shots into works that could work perfectly without them is sad and makes me wish the wouldn't have done that (exhibit A: Gakkou Gurashi).

What I find funny is that the ecchi shows often censor stuff on their TV broadcast versions and then offer uncensored versions on their DVD/BD releases. I remember watching some TLR Darkness and seeing several scenes where random black/white bars were obstructing nearly half the screen, for crying out loud.

Garo - The Crimson Moon - 02

I'm not really feeling this episode either. I think the comedic bits worked well, with the soundtrack being abruptly cut off repeatedly. Seimei is still the only character I feel I actually somewhat like.

It's disappointing to see that the fight at the end is yet again quick and boring.
I noticed more QUALITY than I thought I was capable of. Face expressions looking off, size perspectives changing, and I even noticed the audio sync was off at one point.
I do find it funny how voice actors from the earlier show also works on this. Mendoza and Garm (sounds like her at least?) for example.
Some of the background work looks nice, those full of color in particular, while others can feel dull and lifeless.

JulianImp

That's Magata in the past. Intercut with the present day are diary entries from Magata's uncle about her childhood.

Oh, that makes sense. I definitely thought it was her at first, but then went back and forth as I was debating her age and finally got led astray by the whole little sister conversation.

Still, that means she's even more of a broken human being than what I had initally thought.

Kagewani 03

Protip for life - fuck the Ocean.

All this protagonist can do is show up late and accomplish nothing.

Ushio and Tora 16

Oh, a berserk form. Wow, I've never seen a shonen series with one of those. This episode did remind me of Lovers from Stardust Crusaders.

Seems like people are kind of down on Garo? Guess I will hold off on that.

Ascheroth

K - Return of Kings - 02

I continue to be impressed how consistently good this show looks visually and how good the soundtrack is. Can't say I cared too much about what was happening this episode, but I always have to chuckle everytime something sparkles, so I guess I'm still entertained all the time, lol.
They should just hurry up and bring Shiro back, though. He's a much needed counter balance to all the seriousness.

Interesting. Whenever I hear public domain music I default to thinking it was used for the lower production costs. Then again, I haven't seen anything but the first two episodes yet, so I can't quite comment on the show's themes and how classical music helps them.

I mean, the performances of these pieces are specifically made for the show, so it's not like they come free. Plenty of movies will use classical music that helps to create atmosphere or set mood. One of the most iconic examples that leaps to mind is Tarkovsky's Solaris, which prominently features Bach's organ chorale prelude "Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ."

What I find funny is that the ecchi shows often censor stuff on their TV broadcast versions and then offer uncensored versions on their DVD/BD releases. I remember watching some TLR Darkness and seeing several scenes where random black/white bars were obstructing nearly half the screen, for crying out loud.

TV channels have certain standards for the level of violent and sexual content they allow to be broadcast, so if there are shows which go over the limits they have to be censored for airing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Since taking a break from anime this Summer I kind of put all of the Summer shows on hold. Ushio and Tora seemed very promising (only saw the first episode), did it deliver on the hot blooded shounen sakuga action I was expecting from it? Is it worth catching up on?

Yes, very yes, I still think this is the Shonen series of the year and that is up against some stiff competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom