• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no denying, however, that fanservice always brings a good anime down.

I do think we have to careful to not dismiss any and all potentially sexually alluring content as fanservice trash. For instance, Hyouka 7 is set at a hot springs, and features some brief scenes of the characters in the springs, but they are appropriate and effectively used.

At any rate, swimsuits have nothing to do with the problems with 11.5

The core of it is Oreki righting himself after being knocked out of his comfort zone by the previous arc.

He already did that at the end of episode 11 though. 11.5 is superfluous.

Qurupeke

ONE PUNCH MAN 3

How amazing! I have a soft spot for House of Evolution, as it was the reason I loved OPM, but the adaption was really top notch. Everything was impressive. The battle with Asura Kabuto and the Saitama's revelation were just too good. Everything seemed so serious but it was nothing for Saitama. The best thing about Genos is that he makes every opponent look powerful and then they get one punched. I love it.

On another note, I really want to see the truth about Saitama. I mean, it's obvious there's a bigger reason for his power(and his baldness).

Young Black Jack 3

I wish this show would drop all of the dramatic try hard artsy shit and just focus on the more grounded drama and medical procedures/terminology.

Also the use of side characters to represent obstacles to his ideals and represent everything scummy about humanity is getting out of hand.

Where is this guy finding every single worst person in the world that does a 180 in character just to be all "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaka you can't ask for money upupupupupup you must save him upupupupupupupu".

Hopefully they'll all eventually stop being surprised at how good he is at doctor stuff. Save me The Knick I need good medical drama.

Young Black Jack 3

I wish this show would drop all of the dramatic try hard artsy shit and just focus on the more grounded drama and medical procedures/terminology.

Also the use of side characters to represent obstacles to his ideals and represent everything scummy about humanity is getting out of hand.

Where is this guy finding every single worst person in the world that does a 180 in character just to be all "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaka you can't ask for money upupupupupup you must save him upupupupupupupu".

Hopefully they'll all eventually stop being surprised at how good he is at doctor stuff. Save me The Knick I need good medical drama.
Why do you want them to strip out all the most entertaining parts? Next you're going to tell me that the OP isn't amazing.

Russ T

Banned
I do think we have to careful to not dismiss any and all potentially sexually alluring content as fanservice trash. For instance, Hyouka 7 is set at a hot springs, and features some brief scenes of the characters in the springs, but they are appropriate and effectively used.

At any rate, swimsuits have nothing to do with the problems with 11.5

I tolerate fanservice in a lot of things.

But it is a problem, and I will not ignore it just because the rest of the show happens to be good. I think it's far more important to criticize it when it's present in something good than it is to criticize it in something bad. There is space for both enjoying and criticizing the same thing, and I do it all the time!

And looking at these screenshots, I'm definitely reminded of the fact that 11.5 is very heavy on the fanservice.

There was a scene in the latest episode of Haikyuu!! that took place in the girl's changing room, and it stood out at me because there were literally no camera angles that focused on boobs or butt, or even just legs. Like, how rare is that? The most we saw were the shoulders and top of the bra strap of the manager as she changed shirts. And it worked for me because it felt like a natural place to have a conversation (well, I'm assuming girls have conversations whiel changing in the locker room), but it wasn't pandering.

Hyouka 11.5 panders, and it is a problem. It may not be the worst offense, but it's still there. I can't speak to the hot springs episode, as I don't remember it at all. U:

Now, I remember this basic conversation happening quite recently in this thread, so if no one's interested in responding, I'm willing to just let it go. It wasn't really my intent for an offhand comment to turn into this!

Why do you want them to strip out all the most entertaining parts? Next you're going to tell me that the OP isn't amazing.

The OP is hilarious but usually they're meant to be like symbolism to what the show will entail, with the way the show is going I wouldn't be surprised if they actually have a scene where a flower field is shot by a helicopter.

One Punch Man 3
The comedic timing on these jokes doesn't always translate that well to animation. That supermarket sale joke stretched on forever and lost any impact because of it.

Ascheroth

One Punch Man - 03

Still hilarious. Still amazing animation.
The way they handled the reveal of the 'secret' behind his strength was too much for me.
Watching this show is just a blast.

Black Jack is the worst medical themed show i watched. All the good tv shows over the years in this genre have spoiled me.

Black Jack isn't a series that focuses mainly on medical procedures, that's not what it's all about. It mainly focuses on the medical drama and the moral dilemmas that Hazama faces. Some people are mistaken but Black Jack was never about being a series that's a realistic depiction of the medical field. So in that aspect it isn't really the worst medical themed show because that's not what it's set out to do. So don't blame the series for something it's not trying to be.

It seems to me like a lot of people haven't seen the original Black Jack series.

Rainy Cocoa Season 2 Episode 3
CRnxd7NXAAA1BSg.png

I wonder who writes these profiles as they are the best part for Q & A time. He also voiced Naruko Io in Magical Boys and is a great guy. I laughed at the rolling rolling part.

Black Jack isn't a series that focuses mainly on medical procedures, that's not what it's all about. It mainly focuses on the medical drama and the moral dilemmas that Hazama faces. Some people are mistaken but Black Jack was never about being a series that's a realistic depiction of the medical field. So in that aspect it isn't really the worst medical themed show because that's not what it's set out to do. So don't blame the series for something it's not trying to be.

It seems to me like a lot of people haven't seen the original Black Jack series.

Indeed. Osamu Tezuka was a doctor before he became a manga artist, and he was fully aware of that when he wrote the series.

There's an episode of the 2004 TV series where Black Jack cures a patient with tuberculosis with an operation, but tuberculosis is a disease that cannot be cured that way in real life. This was stated as a disclaimer at the beginning where the audience is told to remember that this is a work of fiction.

Phatmac

Yup this show continues to be amazing. Saitama's jokey lines are great like the modern art one and him missing the shopping sale. The famous how he became a hero scene was delivered perfectly bravo Madhouse. Great action that continues to hold up as well. So good.

Exalted

Black Jack isn't a series that focuses mainly on medical procedures, that's not what it's all about. It mainly focuses on the medical drama and the moral dilemmas that Hazama faces.

To be fair most medical shows are more about the drama and moral dilemmas than medical procedures alone . Maybe it's a little unfair to compare TV shows like House, Grey's Anatomy , ER, Scrubs and M*A*S*H to an anime show. Since it seems that the bigest problem i had with Black Jack was that it was too anime like, if that makes sense.

To be fair most medical shows are more about the drama and moral dilemmas than medical procedures alone . Maybe it's a little unfair to compare TV shows like House, Grey's Anatomy , ER, Scrubs and M*A*S*H to an anime show. Since it seems that the bigest problem i had with Black Jack was that it was too anime like, if that makes sense.
It makes sense, but I think the wackiness is its appeal. If I wanted something like those western shows I'd just watch them instead of a poor imitation.

Iron Blooded Orphans 03

Damn Mika and Orga are NOT fucking around.

I am starting to get invested in this, there is a lot to like. I am glad that Kudelia seems to know her role and isn't going to be annoying and naive the whole time. It's really typical of Gundam to have a bunch of stupid ass drama so I hope that can be avoided.

Indeed. Osamu Tezuka was a doctor before he became a manga artist, and he was fully aware of that when he wrote the series.

There's an episode of the 2004 TV series where Black Jack cures a patient with tuberculosis with an operation, but tuberculosis is a disease that cannot be cured that way in real life. This was stated as a disclaimer at the beginning where the audience is told to remember that this is a work of fiction.

well work of fiction doesn't mean you can solve it with the power of believing in yourself.

You do know shows like House and Grey's Anatomy are complete nonsense as well and aren't realistic depiction of the medical field. Especially considering the latter mainly focuses on sex.

Not enough people here have watched Dezaki's Black Jack OVAs.

This as well.

It does mean that though. In fiction the author writes all the rules of the universe.

True. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing 'fiction' by itself and somebody write whatever they want in a modern setting since even in fictions that are set in modern worlds they tend to simply take liberties with historical facts or locations not with the science behind medical procedures.

edit: though there are works that attribute bigger engineering/technological advancements to earlier cultures and civilzations. Like Uncharted.

Dragon Ball Super 15

I expected them to be shooting a movie about Hercule beating Beerus but this was good too. Hercule punching Goku and him way overacting the force of the punch was great.

Next episode looks great too, Whis focused episode where Vegeta learns how to cook? Amazing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I watched Psycho Pass.

Colour me surprised.

I watched One Punch Man.

It really hit the mark.

I watched Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid.

I will make sure to be kept abreast with it.

I'm the one who complained about fan service so much recently - yet Hyouka 11.5 is one great episode. Well, plot ain't the best but the character relationships and awkwardness is a real treat. So is the introduction of Oreki's sister.

While you do still see the characters in swimsuits the framing is completely innocent. There's no creepy shots and while you got some PoV from Oreki looking at Chitanda (maybe Mayaka, too, can't recall just now) those too feel appropriately in-character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom