• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyx

Kokoro Connect 1-13 + OVAs

Really enjoyed this one. The drama was a bit forced given the circumstances the characters were in but the way they were written and developed were excellent. The couple I was rooting for also got together (albeit I was wondering how
Taichi came to love Inaba
) so that's a plus. I recommend watching this one if you like good character development, a bit of romance and some drama in your anime.

Really enjoyed this one. The drama was a bit forced given the circumstances the characters were in but the way they were written and developed were excellent. The couple I was rooting for also got together (albeit I was wondering how
) so that's a plus. I recommend watching this one if you like good character development, a bit of romance and some drama in your anime.

I wish they had animated the rest of the series.

ibyea

Banned

I thought it was the best treatment of body switching I had seen in any story so far.

MikeHattsu delivers! Just amazing that you took the time and effort to bring these here... I'm really grateful. :'-)

Yep, you are right. That is the 'studio 3' building, this little illustrative map shows more or less how the buildings are laid out and this one explains the internal team structures that those actually house inside (sorry, both only available with a French translation).

The reason for the activity on Studio Ghibli outside of the actual administrative building? Well, some staff must continue for production support of different projects related to their IPs and all that (there are also Katsuya Kondō plus Mr. Momose & his Studio Kajino at the helm of CMs and derivatives still), but I'd really like to think something else is brewing lately that is much bigger in scope than all that...

Ah, cool.

Looked like the Studio 2 building was open when I was there too btw. The entrance door blinds were pulled back. And all 3 parking spots in front of the main building was filled with cars.

I don't really post at all in here anymore, but I just wanted to drop and say that I watched the three seasons of Symphogear in a week.

It was fucking amazing, how did I not know about the glory that Symphogear is and Season 4 fucking when?

Hibiki is my waifu, I want her to punch me.

John Blade

Kurau Phantom Memory has a killer first episode, very compelling. Then it just meanders about and becomes steadily less and less interesting. It has been a while since I've seen it, but I'm not sure that it's worth watching as a whole.

Instead, I will do what I always do whenever this or (more frequently) FMA Brotherhood comes on, and recommend Code;Breaker, because it is the best Yasuhiro Irie directed show.

Well...I look into it and see if it match my taste. Look like Kurau Phantom Memory is out of my radar for good.

I don't really post at all in here anymore, but I just wanted to drop and say that I watched the three seasons of Symphogear in a week.

It was fucking amazing, how did I not know about the glory that Symphogear is and Season 4 fucking when?

Hibiki is my waifu, I want her to punch me.

Symphogear is dope
It sells really good, there should probably be a S4
Chris was best

Monogatari Second Season 10

I liked that arc a lot, pretty poignant. But it also increased my desire to see the spring break shit.

I don't know how Kiss-shot something under something orion something something ever remembered her own name

I just wish the show focused less on all those crappy characters and would just give me Hibiki punching shit + MikuxHibiki scenes.

Forever.

Chris is REALLY nice but all her fights are boring as hell.

GX was bad at retreading old drama and character arcs and Hibiki losing her determination to fist but the good news is s4 should rock after that

Cornbread78

Hatsukoi Limited ep.1-3
Well, throwing away the trashy otaku panty shots, this has been pretty fun to watch do far. Lots of comedy, (even with the tropes) and we always need childhood friends and a tsundere chick to keep things lively right? Lol. Anyhow, the story is just kicking in, but it's been pretty fun/funny so far.

NeonZ

True, the first episodes were amazing but then Hibiki was just taken off the splotlight for stupid daddy drama.

Nah, GX's problems basically start from the 2nd episode. They introduce a weird pacifist plotline in a season where they were mostly fighting dolls. Eventually she gets over it, but then we get the daddy drama right afterwards.

The worst part is that exactly due to her mostly facing non-human opponents, they could still reuse the same angst next season if they have to fight against human girls again.

Nah, GX's problems basically start from the 2nd episode. They introduce a weird pacifist plotline in a season where they were mostly fighting dolls. Eventually she gets over it, but then we get the daddy drama right afterwards.

The worst part is that exactly due to her mostly facing non-human opponents, they could still reuse the same angst next season if they have to fight against human girls again.

I thought the father stuff was fine but yeah the pacifism shit sucked

when does hibiki just turn into kanade

But Kanade isn't dead!

Yeah, the pacifism crap was terrible.

Articalys

My glorious plan to stop watching things weekly and start marathoning things after the season ended has been mostly a failure for the last six months, thanks to less free time than I thought (and general misuse of time anyway) -- hell, I still haven't gotten around to finishing Kinmoza S2 -- so I've already got a good dozen or so shows backlogged.

Nonetheless, I'll probably find an hour each week to keep up with One-Punch Man and Gochiusa S2. As far as things to add to that growing backlog, not a whole lot else stands out; of course I'll pick back up Haikyuu and Noragami as soon as I rewatch the first seasons, and for new stuff I'm considering Comet Lucifer and Sakurakou-san, and outside of that... eh.

Russ T

Banned
I started Your Lie in April last night and am now on episode seven.

Once you get over the "these kids are way too fucking mature for their age" aspect so typical in anime, this is really really goddamn good wow.

Feels like it's gon' get saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I didn't like all the jobbing in Symphogear GX. I was also initially optimistic about the new villains, but the more I saw the more I disliked in regards to the fact that they built up Carol's plan to be a big thing that by the time it was resolved I wasn't really feeling it. They also brought back
Dr. Ver
for a bit, which confirmed my feelings on the season seeming like it was losing focus and was just adding stuff for end of episode cliff hangers.

Seriously though, the jobbing became really rote. If they do decide to do a season 4 I really hope that they don't retread character growth arcs in the way that they did here since they made it obvious that they were going to play things out in the same way for each character, and to resolve things in the same way for each character.

Mailbox

Once you get over the "these kids are way too fucking mature for their age" aspect so typical in anime, this is really really goddamn good wow.

I kept forgetting they were middle schoolers. Kept going "wait... they aren't highschoolers?!"

I didn't like all the jobbing in Symphogear GX. I was also initially optimistic about the new villains, but the more I saw the more I disliked in regards to the fact that they built up Carol's plan to be a big thing that by the time it was resolved I wasn't really feeling it. They also brought back
Dr. Ver
for a bit, which confirmed my feelings on the season seeming like it was losing focus and was just adding stuff for end of episode cliff hangers.

Seriously though, the jobbing became really rote. If they do decide to do a season 4 I really hope that they don't retread character growth arcs in the way that they did here since they made it obvious that they were going to play things out in the same way for each character, and to resolve things in the same way for each character.

Carol's song makes her entire character worth it

duckroll

I have a question for any that have seen Sword of the Stranger.
I was talking with my friend about this movie a couple weeks ago. He said that the ronin, nanashi, bleeds out and dies at the end of the movie while riding on horseback with the kid. I disagreed with him and said that nanashi was just resting.
I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on whether he lives or dies?

This is an interesting question and one which the director himself has also been asked. He says that it was intentionally meant to be an open ending, as it could go either way, but that during the production of the film, his personal feeling was that perhaps he bleeds out and dies because that's how tragic samurai movies usually end, but after completing the movie and watching it back himself, it felt more optimistic than he thought, and that he now thinks Nanashi probably survived. These are just his personal feelings, and he made it clear that it was really up to the viewer because it wasn't scripted to have a specific outcome beyond what was shown.

For me, I would say that there is no question in my mind that he survives, because while he did suffer many injuries, he was in fact protected from the fatal blow by the jade piece. He probably won't be walking for a while though. :p

Russ T

Banned
I kept forgetting they were middle schoolers. Kept going "wait... they aren't highschoolers?!"

Yeah, I keep doing the same. They're 14, and like right on the cusp of high school in Japan, and yeah, no kid would be waxing poetic the way this kid does.

Mailbox

3rd arc in FMP is damn good.
It also made me realize that i have things on hold from like half a year ago....

I should watch those :p

blurr

I sort of thought that was necessary,
the whole supernatural aspect was a push to get the drama going.
but as you mentioned, everything else about it is amazing. Very good character development and fun moments.

Cornbread78

It really is an amazing series and yeah, a swift kick in the feels is gonna happen at a few points. The music (both original and classical) and artistic visualization of everything is simply amazing and touching at times as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
Was it based on a LN or some manga? I may read the source material since the adaptation hooked me. I don't think there will be a sequel or something given the way the anime ended.

I don't think there's going to be a sequel due to the mishap with part of the staff and a certain voice actor.

Although I didn't keep following the story on that way after, so I don't know if things got cleared up or not or some misinformation

Edit: Not that I know how this impact the decision for another season if it even did at all

JulianImp

Was it based on a LN or some manga? I may read the source material since the adaptation hooked me. I don't think there will be a sequel or something given the way the anime ended.

Yeah, Kokoro Connect is a series of LNs. I'm currently reading through Nise Random, but they're only available in Japanese AFAIK. The anime covers half of the LNs: Hito, Kizu, Kako and Michi Random (with Michi being the OVA episodes), and then there's Clip Time (short stories), Nise, Yume and Asu Random and also Step Time and Precious Memories (more short stories).

I got all the LNs and two drama CDs while I was in Japan since I really liked the anime, and finally began reading Nise (skipping Clip Time for now) as well as my current level of Japanese allows me. So far this arc, has introduced two new characters who join the club, Chihiro Uwa and Shino Enjouji, and Heartseed's scheme is really interesting since it involves
giving a particular person the ability to mask as somebody else around the original cast just so to make things more interesting for Heartseed. This includes pretending to be Iori and telling Taiichi that she still loves him, asking Aoki as Yui to not talk to her at all even if she wanted and finally pretending to be Taiichi to almost break up with Inaba, and later even take her to a small room and have her undress for him.
I've reached up to that last part, and I'd say I'm really looking forward to learning what happens later and how they deal with Heartseed's latest prank.

Kokoro Connect was indeed pretty good. Still waiting on a sequel here that is never going to come.

Another amazing show. And when the feels do come, don't fight them. Just let it happen. Some of us have been there.

Russ T

Banned
It really is an amazing series and yeah, a swift kick in the feels is gonna happen at a few points. The music (both original and classical) and artistic visualization of everything is simply amazing and touching at times as well.

Another amazing show. And when the feels do come, don't fight them. Just let it happen. Some of us have been there.

lol i'm a huge crybaby i think i even teared up multiple times throughout kuroko's basketball during those, uh, "touching" moments or flashbacks

so HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Umibozu

This is an interesting question and one which the director himself has also been asked. He says that it was intentionally meant to be an open ending, as it could go either way, but that during the production of the film, his personal feeling was that perhaps he bleeds out and dies because that's how tragic samurai movies usually end, but after completing the movie and watching it back himself, it felt more optimistic than he thought, and that he now thinks Nanashi probably survived. These are just his personal feelings, and he made it clear that it was really up to the viewer because it wasn't scripted to have a specific outcome beyond what was shown.

For me, I would say that there is no question in my mind that he survives, because while he did suffer many injuries, he was in fact protected from the fatal blow by the jade piece. He probably won't be walking for a while though. :p
This was my line of thinking as well.
The open ending might have contributed to my friend and my differing opinions. I also wonder if the fact that I watched it dubbed while he watched it subbed lead to different tones for the ending which also contributed to the differing viewpoints.
Thanks for the answer

Since The Perfect Insider has been brought up, may as well post the screenshots from its OP that have been released:

CP_LOrRWwAA1bEt.jpg

CP_LOrOWUAAqyhN.jpg

CP_LOrLWEAAaAIW.jpg

CP_LOrMW8AALoMa.jpg

Looks to have a neat style.

zulux21

just want to mention here that on amazon the collectors edition of no game no life is on sale for $53 shipped via rightstuf's amazon account. It's new but the corner has a ding, but it's a great price for it.

I'd link it but I saw this over on CAG and their links auto add references, and I am pretty sure those references aren't allowed on this site.

Symphogear 7
Pretty hype start with that fight and Chris just firing off her guns. Then, the Hibiki Miku drama is kind of stupid in that they won't talk it out. That scene with Chris finding those kids' dad was cute though.

Dead

well not really...yet
RIP Manglobe.

Surprised it took this long. A studio started up by former Sunrise guys looking to make alternative style shows that apparently nobody wanted either in Japan or in the US, and then settled for making a bunch of moe shit in order to try to make some body, but that wasn't enough.

Zephyx

I don't think there's going to be a sequel due to the mishap with part of the staff and a certain voice actor.

Although I didn't keep following the story on that way after, so I don't know if things got cleared up or not or some misinformation

Edit: Not that I know how this impact the decision for another season if it even did at all

I think they would still go for another season if they wanted one even if they had staff issues or something. Maybe it didn't warrant enough sales or they were happy how the adaptation ended.

Yeah, Kokoro Connect is a series of LNs. I'm currently reading through Nise Random, but they're only available in Japanese AFAIK. The anime covers half of the LNs: Hito, Kizu, Kako and Michi Random (with Michi being the OVA episodes), and then there's Clip Time (short stories), Nise, Yume and Asu Random and also Step Time and Precious Memories (more short stories).

I got all the LNs and two drama CDs while I was in Japan since I really liked the anime, and finally began reading Nise (skipping Clip Time for now) as well as my current level of Japanese allows me. So far this arc, has introduced two new characters who join the club, Chihiro Uwa and Shino Enjouji, and Heartseed's scheme is really interesting since it involves
giving a particular person the ability to mask as somebody else around the original cast just so to make things more interesting for Heartseed. This includes pretending to be Iori and telling Taiichi that she still loves him, asking Aoki as Yui to not talk to her at all even if she wanted and finally pretending to be Taiichi to almost break up with Inaba, and later even take her to a small room and have her undress for him.
I've reached up to that last part, and I'd say I'm really looking forward to learning what happens later and how they deal with Heartseed's latest prank.

Wow, I wish I could read Japanese. I have a friend there who can buy stuff for me but my Japanese literacy is close to being non-existent. Maybe there's a good summary of the LN volumes online that I can read. I read the wiki for some info but I'm not satisfied. I want to know how it ends :(

Also,
that undress part was just unnecessary. Poor Inaba. :(

Kokoro Connect was indeed pretty good. Still waiting on a sequel here that is never going to come.

Same here. I'm hoping for one but it's highly likely there won't be any. I probably need another anime to divert my attention to.

pbayne

3rd arc in FMP is damn good.
It also made me realize that i have things on hold from like half a year ago....

I should watch those :p

Looks at post. Looks at avatar. Nods head in approval.

FMP has one of my favorite rivalries of all time.

Manglobe was a studio that didn't seem like it wanted to make shows that catered to Japanese fans, or at least mixed Eastern and Western themes and settings into one.

Their first real work was Samurai Champloo, a show that combined samurai and rap for crying out loud.
tumblr_miiduwTU7b1rikjd2o1_500.gif

(Mugen was the cooler of the two Samurai. I don't care what anyone says.)

And while we can debate the quality of their shows, I think I'll generally miss their work. That said, them going out business? Well that's just business.

Hope their workers can land on their feet.

Russ T

Banned
Out of Manglobe's hsitory, I've only seen:

Samurai Champloo
Michiko to Hatchin
Samurai Flamenco

I loved all three of those quite a bit. Anything I'm missing? I hear House of Five Leaves a lot.

javac

I'll pour one out for them and watch House of Five Leaves soon, its been in my backlog for a while. Not seen any of their other shows, but this looks like one that I'd enjoy unlike the others, or maybe not who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom