• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

For me this year is kind of lacking titles that are of a high enough caliber to really define it, outside of maybe OPM. Generally speaking the highs have not been very high, and titles that seem thoughtful or substantial appear to be largely absent. I don't really have positive feelings about a number of the titles you listed, but the abundance of overly familiar sequels and adaptations of material I find lacking compared to their original format puts a heavy damper on the year.

Pretty rotten year for movies/shorts/OVAs too.

Have to admit aside from Shirobako theres less no brainer/standouts. Though I can pretty easily fill out a ten titles I really quite enjoyed list.

For movies I have no idea. I think all I've seen is Tamayura. And its just more enjoyable Tamayura packaged in 3 episode blocks.

I also felt this year particularly suffering from too many titles based on things I've already read. Though thats probably more on me and my reading habit.

Jarmel

Banned
Well FMP being done by Bones thing was false or at least unconfirmed.

This has been such an utter buzzkill that I might just read Sigma so I can just move on and be done with the franchise.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket - 1
I'll probably continue watching Ping-Pong, but maybe only an episode a night. Figured I would start on this cause I've heard good things. And apparently its complete?

I liked it! And to be clear, I do not like watching or playing basketball. In part because I'm terrible at basketball and have many bad memories of having to play it and sucking hard. But this was fun. Kuroko is different than I expected. I heard there are shonen-esque super powers. So... that'll be neat.

yeah Kuroko is complete.

Narag

Calling this a bland year for anime is ridiculous. Not even to the point where someone could be like, "Everyone has their opinion so leave it be", but to the point where it's almost an outright lie. We've had fantastic shows in almost every category from Oregari and OreMonogatari, to Baby Steps and Shokugeki, and ranging from popular releases that everyone knew were going to excel like Owarimonogatari, Utawaremuno, Noragami Aragato to sleepers like School-Live and Shimoneta. On top of that, we've had Death Parade, OreMonogatari, Non Non Biyori, and, most importantly, One Punch Man. Bland year, you say? What is your definition of a good year? Is their a Pitchfork equivalent in the anime community that I don't know about?

I don't know, I do think it's been pretty blah myself this year.No real polished gems like Ping Pong, Hyouka, or Yamato 2199 this year (although I haven't gotten to Euphonium or caught back up with OPM yet). Feels like most of the average to good shows suffered from missteps along the way preventing them from being better received. Death Parade's inconsistency and Yurikuma's bewildering start really got the year started on the wrong foot.

Well FMP being done by Bones thing was false or at least unconfirmed.

This has been such an utter buzzkill that I might just read Sigma so I can just move on and be done with the franchise.

You know in your heart it's Gonzo.

So I've been out of the loop since university is taking my life right now. What's this (Supposedly) false rumor about Bones animating Full Metal Panic?

This hasn't been a disastrous year for anime, but it hasn't been a super memorable one, either. Aside from 2014 holdovers, there have only been a few series that really stood out to me (Yuri Kuma and Euphonium).

I'd agree that the highs haven't been as high as some recent years. There's been no Flowers of Evil or From the New World type of show this year that is just elevating the medium beyond what it normally is.

Line_HTX

I wouldn't call this year disasterous by any means. There's been a handful that I think a lot of people enjoyed, even if it wasn't like last year with Space Dandy.

Granted, there's still plenty that I need to watch, but I doubt it's blah like Narag says.

Probably. Would explain why they're avoiding announcing anything.

KyoAni won't do it because it's in the best interest of everybody if they put all of their staff onto Euphonium S2.

;D

Crocodile

When is the first Digimon 03 movie supposed to drop again? Pretty soon right? Though I guess we won't be able to see it for a while anyway? Is there any word of a stream or broadcast for it?

Also, Death Parade is always eternally undersold :(

I'll always remember this year for being the year that killed Digimon.

But aside from that, I guess it was fairly unremarkable. Especially the back half of the year. Winter and Spring were good.

fertygo

Having an weak year isn't an excuse to pathetic idea slamming other that enjoying legitimate well made show tho that's just concern trolling

When is the first Digimon 03 movie supposed to drop again? Pretty soon right? Though I guess we won't be able to see it for a while anyway? Is there any word of a stream or broadcast for it?

The first entry releases on November 21, and the BD comes out a month later on December 18. Since this is basically an OVA series, disc releases won't take as long as regular feature films do.

I'll always remember this year for being the year that killed Digimon.

Sure thing.

To be fair, while I agree 2014 was a better year, there was a lot of disappointments and just plain crap that year too.

Blade and Soul
Captain Earth
Brynhildr
Soul Eater Not
Aldnoah Fucking Zero
Tokyo ESP
Recently, My Sister is Unusual
Pupa
Rail Wars
Magical Warfare

The highs of 2014 were....well higher, but 2015 has been more consistent.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
To be fair, while I agree 2014 was a better year, there was a lot of disappointments and just plain crap that year too.

Blade and Soul
Captain Earth
Brynhildr
Soul Eater Not
Aldnoah Fucking Zero
Tokyo ESP

The highs of 2014 were....well higher, but 2015 has been more consistent.

I have heard this other places, the problem with having just a solid year is it leaves little in the way of lasting impressions. Also, there is junk produced every year.

Line_HTX

Having an weak year isn't an excuse to pathetic idea slamming other that enjoying legitimate well made show tho that's just concern trolling

This. While summer may have been a little out of control, I'd say this Autumn gives us a little breather. I kind of like this because this gives me time to catch up on stuff from seasons past this year.

Narag

Kancolle 6
KsFhXG2l.png
Thank god Kongou and Nagato were in this one.

Kancolle 7
Turns out these little pilots with like zero screentime are better than most of the regular shipgirls.

Kancolle 8
kill me

Kancolle 9
The whole upgrade=puberty thing was hilariously dumb and the rebuilding of the Naval district was a little anticlimactic. That said, looking forward to Fubuki's upgrade!

I have duties to fulfill.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01

Hello. I am that guy who has never seen Utena and knows almost nothing about it other then Utena turns into a car. The only thing I have seen by Ikuhara is Yuri Kuma Arashi earlier this year and I liked it a lot other then the very awkward start. Or did he do some work on Diebuster and Soul Eater? I think he might have. Anyway YKA is probably the only thing I have to base my thoughts on since I'm not too into Mahou Shoujo and never saw his Sailor Moon stuff.

I don't really have a lot to say just going off the first episode. It had about what I expected - flowers, stairs, lots of black and red, and a lot of wacky terminology that means absolutely nothing to me right now. I am well aware of the shows reputation so my expectations are really high. It's just the first episode in a 39 episodes series so no strong feelings one way or another so far.

Space Adventure Cobra 01

No shit this really is Total Recall, but I'm fairly certain this was way before Total Recall so they must share a premise somewhere, I'm going to guess some Asimov or Philip K Dick novel. The similarities are way too on point.

I didn't expect Cobra to be kind of a dork and have that voice but I guess it works given how the first episode progressed. This show has a lot of that 80s style that people love and an easy hook with the action movie like setup. Is this Dezaki? Because it kind of reminds me of Ashita no Joe.

This feels like the kind of show I could watch an episode of here and there when cleaning or doing other stuff as a kind of side dish to Utena. Hardsubs suck though.

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra 01

No shit this really is Total Recall, but I'm fairly certain this was way before Total Recall so they must share a premise somewhere, I'm going to guess some Asimov or Philip K Dick novel. The similarities are way too on point.

I didn't expect Cobra to be kind of a dork and have that voice but I guess it works given how the first episode progressed. This show has a lot of that 80s style that people love and an easy hook with the action movie like setup. Is this Dezaki? Because it kind of reminds me of Ashita no Joe.

This feels like the kind of show I could watch an episode of here and there when cleaning or doing other stuff as a kind of side dish to Utena. Hardsubs suck though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale

Speaking of Utena, is the Blu-ray set still coming to the U.S.? Right Stuff announced it back in July.

Quick edit: Silly me. Sometime in 2016.

Syrinx

Kancolle 6

Thank god Kongou and Nagato were in this one.

Kancolle 7

Turns out these little pilots with like zero screentime are better than most of the regular shipgirls.

Kancolle 8

kill me

Kancolle 9

The whole upgrade=puberty thing was hilariously dumb and the rebuilding of the Naval district was a little anticlimactic. That said, looking forward to Fubuki's upgrade!
What is firehawk doing to you Narag?

You can tell me.

ibyea

Banned
Kyousogiga: 5-6
And so ends the bittersweet stories of the three siblings and things are finally put into motion. The ending of episode 6 left me quiet confused as to what happened,
I don't understand how Koto was transfered to a place where she meets their mother.

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 7
WHY, DAMN IT!? WHY!?
First Catherine was killed and now Jane, even Duk was taken out. Why are all these fun characters dying off so quickly!? Damn you, Crystal Boy!!!

Itoshi no Muco 7

Great episode. Everything continues to trigger me. From Muco's dilemma of the switch from dry to wet food, and then back to dry. Everything is spot on. I mean it was clear that the creator is a dog owner but man you never really see this level of detail of the comedic mindset of a dog and the owner who gets stressed out by the dog at points.

10/10 would watch again

pbayne

Haikyuu S2 07

All caught up. Show is great, what more is there to say. Makes me regret not watching other sports shows like Yowamushi Pedal.

I'm glad it looks like Tsukishima is going to start attempting to keep up with everyone else instead of riding along passively. I guess him and Hinata will be the ancient sports idea of hard work vs talent. Ping Pong did that masterfully, guess we'll see where this goes.

If you like Haikyuu watch Kuroko. Its amazing how similar in structure both shows have been to this point.

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 8
Now that's some good retribution. Cobra is amazing when he's (comparatively) serious, he deceived the enemy so many times this episode.
The showdown with Crystal Boy was a bit underwhelming. I enjoyed the way Cobra continued to break his way through Crystal Boy's exterior as the fight went on but Crystal Boy himself didn't seem to pose that much of a threat to Cobra. His Crescent Moon arm doesn't hold a candle to the Psycho Gun.

Mature

This year has been fairly underwhelming, but I've still managed to find a few things to latch onto every season.

Gotta get back to Ushio and Tora at some point.

Generate

Banned
I don't know, I do think it's been pretty blah myself this year.No real polished gems like Ping Pong, Hyouka, or Yamato 2199 this year (although I haven't gotten to Euphonium or caught back up with OPM yet). Feels like most of the average to good shows suffered from missteps along the way preventing them from being better received. Death Parade's inconsistency and Yurikuma's bewildering start really got the year started on the wrong foot.

You know in your heart it's Gonzo.

Gonzo would be totally fine with me.

RS is fast with shipping for the holiday sale. Ordered Oreimo S2 this morning and they just emailed me that it has shipped. I was expecting it would take a couple of days.

Let me know if the OVAs are self-contained on the last disc.

You know, BGBW.

Sometimes I click on the thread title, instead of the last page link, by mistake.

And when that happens, I see your opening post.

And I just stare at it.

I stare at it, and wonder why.

Why not?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't remember what happened in Aria the Scarlet Ammo S1. Something about clearing her name and teaming up with this blonde or something?

Well I never watched it, so however good or bad it was (though according to MAL scores it's v.bad) has no bearing on my opinions of AA. AA is not S2 but a side story. So I have no idea if the original was serious or comedic but AA is extremely light hearted and they've just decided to push the yuri envelope to the hell of it now to comedic levels which is basically where the fun in watching it comes from.

This year has been fairly underwhelming, but I've still managed to find a few things to latch onto every season.

This is pretty much how I feel. It's been a week year overall, but there's still been plenty to watch.

Line_HTX

Well I never watched it, so however good or bad it was (though according to MAL scores it's v.bad) has no bearing on my opinions of AA. AA is not S2 but a side story. So I have no idea if the original was serious or comedic but AA is extremely light hearted and they've just decided to push the yuri envelope to the hell of it now to comedic levels which is basically where the fun in watching it comes from.

Damn, it's a side story? Ehh... I guess I'll watch it anyways for the yuri envelope, lol

jgminto

I think the year has featured a lot of enjoyable, safe shows. There weren't any shows that stood out as pinnacles of the medium but there was always a handful of shows that entertained from week to week. Except for Winter maybe, that was a season of disappointment.

Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!(This Light Novel is Amazing!) 2016 ranking:

1.Yahari
2.SAO
3.Alderamin

Yahari again? SAO still no.2? well at least Alderamin able in top 3, wonder can anime(air at 2016) push it even higher.

No.4 and 5 are 2 new LNs, since i don't think there are any translations so i just post the LN official site link(i heard no.5 is pretty good btw)
4. http://eirunlastcode.com/
5. http://sneakerbunko.jp/series/shumatsu/

phaze

Mawaru Penguindrum - 15

Damn strong episode. It's kind of insidious how seamless this show transitions into rather morbid stuff. Plenty times I've been thinking to myself "wait, this actually went pretty serious and dark just now".

Though, not particularly this episode. This one was almost all throughout rather heavy stuff, even though it had a very heartfelt sequence playing at the end and ED.

But yeh it's always interesting for me when a show manages manages to juggle different tones so well. KareKano being another example.

Concerning this episode, I'm just really liking how more and more layers of the characters are revealed and the plot feels quite well thought through at this point. Biggest surprise yet, Yuri is involved in some Yuri stuff! She got one heck of a backstory. I'm not entirely sure what the father did with her as all that sculpting might just be symbolic and there's certainly some pedo vibes coming off from he guy, too. Either way, it's apparent she went through hell with that insane piece of shit :/

I'm quite curious about Tabuki. So far he's just been represented as this goodhearted guy on a surface level. I'm sure there's more backstory waiting for him, especially when his scarred finger bits were made apparent lately. Wonder what that's all about.

I'm ashamed that even after Yuri Kuma, I still failed to see that coming...

Mawaru Penguindrum - 20

Beautiful!

You're going through it at quite a pace, can't blame you though !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom