• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You're actually watching Aria? And here I thought you were just trolling with the OP.

The old list was for fun since at that point we had no idea what would be good, and hey, at least I couldn't be accused to providing false hope.

The current list is based on what this community as a whole said is worth watching and the jury said AA is AAA entertainment.

But I will say that I did give every new show on the original list bar Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama a chance so I at least put my money where my mouth is.

You know, BGBW.

Sometimes I click on the thread title, instead of the last page link, by mistake.

And when that happens, I see your opening post.

And I just stare at it.

I stare at it, and wonder why.
Why I put effort into it when I could have just chucked some Google Image Search results in a list, copied MAL synopsises and called it a day? Because I'm worth it.

Tuck

Ping Pong - 3
Still unimpressed. It's kind of... boring? Doesn't help that theres no interesting characters, except for maybe Kong. Not a fan of the screen splitting either. And the art style remains hard on the eyes.

I keep hoping they're gonna get to the point with the hero thing, cause thats literally the only interesting thing going on at the moment.

Ping Pong - 3
Still unimpressed. It's kind of... boring? Doesn't help that theres no interesting characters, except for maybe Kong. Not a fan of the screen splitting either. And the art style remains hard on the eyes.

I keep hoping their gonna get to the point with the hero thing, cause thats literally the only interesting thing going on at the moment.

You're free to keep watching, but I think it's fair to say that you just don't "get it."

Which is fine, but you don't seemed to be hooked on what are the best aspects of the show.

Jaxec

Ping Pong - 3

I keep hoping their gonna get to the point with the hero thing, cause thats literally the only interesting thing going on at the moment.

O9cMpaB.gif

Jaxec

Some more images came out for JoJo Part 4.

Upon closer inspection I'm actually really loving the designs, especially Jotaro. I don't know but now I'm starting to see a mix of the Part 1, 2, and 3 anime somehow.

Not 100% sure if thats allowed to be posted, but I like the character designs. I wonder if they will even bother with the massive art shift that happens early on

Cornbread78

Accel World ep.4-6
Really diggin' the show so far. The action sequences were pretty good and the characters are interesting. Our MC has an interesting underdog story as well, being the lil' piggy he is. I gotta admit, Taku did just piss me off right at the end of the episode, what a dink.

Accel World ep.4-6
Really diggin' the show so far. The action sequences were pretty good and the characters are interesting. Our MC has an interesting underdog story as well, being the lil' piggy he is. I gotta admit, Taku did just piss me off right at the end of the episode, what a dink.

STOP. Taku is one of the best characters in it (well my favorite after Haru, he should have been the lead, but Kawahara's handles the writing well (trumps SAO)).

That reminds me I need to open my v5 of the LN.

Haikyuu S2 07

All caught up. Show is great, what more is there to say. Makes me regret not watching other sports shows like Yowamushi Pedal.

I'm glad it looks like Tsukishima is going to start attempting to keep up with everyone else instead of riding along passively. I guess him and Hinata will be the ancient sports idea of hard work vs talent. Ping Pong did that masterfully, guess we'll see where this goes.

Line_HTX

I don't remember what happened in Aria the Scarlet Ammo S1. Something about clearing her name and teaming up with this blonde or something?

And of course Teh Rie.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Haikyuu is a sports anime. I'm not sure why it wouldn't focus on the sport. Although I guess no one has tried K-On with cute boys yet... Haikyuu is solid though. The relationship between Kageyama and Hinata is one of the best in any sports anime - it's so strong I'd argue that alone makes it strong enough to be a contender for one of the best sports anime. The animation is amazing with an absurd amount of detail put into the hands in particular as the most important aspect of volleyball is the usage of the hands, and the flow of each episode manages to build an even greater amount of anticipation with each game, leading to the climax games at the end of each season. It pretty obviously travels along an interest curve (standard fare for just about every anime in general, but more obvious in sports anime and Haikyuu in particular) , but that's not a bad thing at all.
The problem I have with Haikyuu is that the characters have no depth beyond their abilities on the court, to the point where they are almost solely defined by their playstyle. It's simplistic, and the series is stretched thin with practices and minute details that never really seem to build to anything. In spite of its long episode run it's hard to really feel like much is being done with the characters, and their depicted life off the court almost always directly loops back into the rudimentary take on competitive/sports culture. These kinds of glacially paced low stakes shows that seem absent of a single genuine or fleshed out character feel relatively void of creativity or emotion, and come to lack a human element that instills a sense of artistic worth. This isn't to say these shows are completely removed from being fun or enjoyable, but the amount of unrestrained praise lavished on such blatantly simplistic commercial products instills a certain dismissiveness inside me towards the anime community.

The problem I have with Haikyuu is that the characters have no depth beyond their abilities on the court, to the point where they are almost solely defined by their playstyle. It's simplistic, and the series is stretched thin with practices and minute details that never really seem to build to anything. In spite of its long episode run it's hard to really feel like much is being done with the characters, and their depicted life off the court almost always directly loops back into the rudimentary take on competitive/sports culture. These kinds of glacially paced low stakes shows that seem absent of a single genuine or fleshed out character feel relatively void of creativity or emotion, and come to lack a human element that instills a sense of artistic worth. This isn't to say these shows are completely removed from being fun or enjoyable, but the amount of unrestrained praise lavished on such blatantly simplistic commercial products instills a certain dismissiveness inside me towards the anime community.

Why does every show need huge stakes or tons of drama?

dimb

Why does every show need huge stakes or tons of drama?
If I thought this my favorite shows for the season wouldn't be OPM, Fushigi na Somera-chan, and Hacka Doll. Fun, wit, and creativity are all kind of ideas that go hand in hand for me, and it's not a test that Haikyuu passes when the show is largely defined by droll practice sessions inside empty gyms.

Jarmel

Banned

I like how you twist something that you could have simply said isn't for you into a condescending post about the anime community.

It's a show that is well produced, well directed and storyboarded, the characters are all likable, and many scenes have genuine emotion behind them. Yes there isn't a lot of character drama but the show doesn't need it. I'm invested in seeing the team and individuals inside that team improve and hopefully win. Thank god it's not bogged down in character drama shit, and if it does dip into that as with Tsukki, it's more in relation to the team. The characters all have different philosophies and goals and watching them clash despite of all of that and try to become a singular unit is fascinating. The second season in particular is topnotch precisely because of that reason.

It's a sports anime that revolves around the actual sport. The horror.

Jaxec

I like how you twist something that you could have simply said isn't for you into a condescending post about the anime community.

It's a show that is well produced, well directed and storyboarded, the characters are all likable, and many scenes have genuine emotion behind them. Yes there isn't a lot of character drama but the show doesn't need it. I'm invested in seeing the team and individuals inside that team improve and hopefully win. Thank god it's not bogged down in character drama shit, and if it does dip into that as with Tsukki, it's more in relation to the team. The characters all have different philosophies and goals and watching them clash despite of all of that and try to become a singular unit is fascinating. The second season in particular is topnotch precisely because of that reason.

wW1dH66.gif

Well said

fertygo

Fantastic post, always wanted to say that first line everytime similar discussion fall down here..

Tuck

Kuroko no Basket - 1
I'll probably continue watching Ping-Pong, but maybe only an episode a night. Figured I would start on this cause I've heard good things. And apparently its complete?

I liked it! And to be clear, I do not like watching or playing basketball. In part because I'm terrible at basketball and have many bad memories of having to play it and sucking hard. But this was fun. Kuroko is different than I expected. I heard there are shonen-esque super powers. So... that'll be neat.

dimb

It has very little to do with the show being "for me". I've watched most of it and attempted to engage with the material. I don't really have some abhorrent reaction to the show. The reason I would target the community on something like this is that it's the sort of show that's had a banner raised around it without the show really accomplishing anything other than being inoffensive and watchable.

It's not really a lack of character drama that I'm citing, it's the lack of character that the show itself that permeates to a level where the cast lack personalities outside of their on court abilities. That combined with the immense aversion to off court activities leaves the show feeling like it lacks even the most basic sense of humanity. There's no real message. The entertainment value itself isn't very high. It's not even a particularly valuable piece in regards to the sport it happens to be portraying. The abstract concepts of shonen shows are applied to a more realistic setting to create something that feels more approachable to a wider audience, which sort of lends itself to the heavily commercial vibe the series gives off to me. Even as this interpretation of shonen ideas into a sports setting I find it to just be hyper simplistic and largely uninteresting.

It shares certain similarities to projects like Shokugeki no Soma, but Soma's understanding of its topic, more eccentric cast, and more bizarre scenarios lend themselves to a work that feels like it has more substance to its commercial side. I don't really know that I would say that Haikyuu's cast have different philosophies and goals by any stretch. The goal on court to improve and win is pretty universal, and about as basic as it gets. That's not wrong or anything, but I find the show's approach to that place to be laboriously slow and lacking much variety for how much content they chew through. For me Haikyuu is just this milquetoast thing that shot up to being a top 15 rated show on MAL and all I can do is sort of shrug. This has been a pretty bland year for anime and the community rallying around stuff this plain is just indicative of how little people in the space like to be creatively pushed or challenged.

Cornbread78

Hyouka ep.7-9
So who said this was the greatest SoL series ever? So far, it has been more of "solve the daily mystery" for the foursome. I mean, the show is very upbeat and pleasant but is pretty anticlimactic at the same time. The art is great and coloring nice but it lacks an emotional edge to it like yo got in the first couple episides when looking for her uncle. It not bad by any stretch, but it's fairly mundane thus far. I hope it gets more interesting.

This has been a pretty bland year for anime and the community rallying around stuff this plain is just indicative of how little people in the space like to be creatively pushed or challenged.

Aside from the fact that you completely ignore the relationships being built in and off the court, the comedy, outstanding visual narration, and overall high production standard of the show, you ALSO call the character boring when they are some of the most fleshed out and eccentric characters in any anime this year. Haikyuu has earned it's place, but at this point I understand a bit more of your viewpoint and don't feel like arguing too much when there is a much bigger issue at stake here.

Calling this a bland year for anime is ridiculous. Not even to the point where someone could be like, "Everyone has their opinion so leave it be", but to the point where it's almost an outright lie. We've had fantastic shows in almost every category from Oregari and OreMonogatari, to Baby Steps and Shokugeki, and ranging from popular releases that everyone knew were going to excel like Owarimonogatari, Utawaremuno, Noragami Aragato to sleepers like School-Live and Shimoneta. On top of that, we've had Death Parade, OreMonogatari, Non Non Biyori, and, most importantly, One Punch Man. Bland year, you say? What is your definition of a good year? Is their a Pitchfork equivalent in the anime community that I don't know about?

Cornbread78

im going to disown you kiritobread

I said it wasn't bad, I'm just looking for the God-tier stuff people hype it up as. Maybe it's excellent writing because the anime itself takes on the same traits as the MC where it's not going to exert too much energy in any 1 direction, lol. It's getting an "8" so far with my scoring, so there's that too, but there's a lot more to watch still, obviously.

Every show is a yuri harem if you believe enough.

Lol, fair enough.

Narag

Hyouka ep.7-9
So who said this was the greatest SoL series ever? So far, it has been more of "solve the daily mystery" for the foursome. I mean, the show is very upbeat and pleasant but is pretty anticlimactic at the same time. The art is great and coloring nice but it lacks an emotional edge to it like yo got in the first couple episides when looking for her uncle. It not bad by any stretch, but it's fairly mundane thus far. I hope it gets more interesting.

Not enough feels.

I think Haikyuu is great as is. As someone who is hardly into sports series I enjoy it a lot and the lack of a human element beyond the drive to win doesn't bother me in the least. Having the character traits show through how they play the sport seems like the smart and easy thing to do.

Aside from the fact that you completely ignore the relationships being built in and off the court, the comedy, outstanding visual narration, and overall high production standard of the show, you ALSO call the character boring when they are some of the most fleshed out and eccentric characters in any anime this year. Haikyuu has earned it's place, but at this point I understand a bit more of your viewpoint and don't feel like arguing too much when there is a much bigger issue at stake here.

Calling this a bland year for anime is ridiculous. Not even to the point where someone could be like, "Everyone has their opinion so leave it be", but to the point where it's almost an outright lie. We've had fantastic shows in almost every category from Oregari and OreMonogatari, to Baby Steps and Shokugeki, and ranging from popular releases that everyone knew were going to excel like Owarimonogatari, Utawaremuno, Noragami Aragato to sleepers like School-Live and Shimoneta. On top of that, we've had Death Parade, OreMonogatari, Non Non Biyori, and, most importantly, One Punch Man. Bland year, you say? What is your definition of a good year? Is their a Pitchfork equivalent in the anime community that I don't know about?

This year isn't weak, but last year was easily better. There have been few 9s, some 8s and a lot of 7s but no 10 for me this year. Like, I would trade one Ping Pong for half of those and I would hardly call Noragami, School Live, Death Parade, Ore Monogatari, Shimoneta or Utawaremuno centerpiece shows to show how good the year was even if I enjoyed some of them.

dimb

Calling this a bland year for anime is ridiculous. Not even to the point where someone could be like, "Everyone has their opinion so leave it be", but to the point where it's almost an outright lie.
For me this year is kind of lacking titles that are of a high enough caliber to really define it, outside of maybe OPM. Generally speaking the highs have not been very high, and titles that seem thoughtful or substantial appear to be largely absent. I don't really have positive feelings about a number of the titles you listed, but the abundance of overly familiar sequels and adaptations of material I find lacking compared to their original format puts a heavy damper on the year.

Pretty rotten year for movies/shorts/OVAs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom