• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

I think SAO is melodramatic junk food even at its very best. I will say, though, in a world where so much anime features endlessly drawn-out romantic drama with characters so noncommittal they can't even voice their feelings, I appreciate Kirito and Asuna getting together and moving in with each other in relatively short order.

That's pretty much one of the few positives I can give SAO. No beating around the bush this time around.

Shame I can't really enjoy the overall product.

Oh, we're talking about SAO?

I'll be in the the Toonami thread.

*leaves, reappears a moment later*

They're talking about SAO too.

Just think happy thoughts. Like booty, for instance.

Kirito and Asuna's relationship never felt genuine at all. You can probably blame the rampant timeskipping everywhere for that.

Yeah it is.

I just watched the arc where they get a child and it worked well enough (for me) to redeem it a bit though, there's a bunch of times spent on their relationship in that arc.

I guess I prefer it when a show skips over "falling in love part" and gives more screentime to the bits where they're actually together then the other way around.

JulianImp

Kirito and Asuna's relationship never felt genuine at all. You can probably blame the rampant timeskipping everywhere for that.

Why show any form of bonding or attachment when you can skip that shit and say it happened anyway

But there's always Ep16.5! <_<

Just think happy thoughts. Like booty, for instance.

If anything, SAO S2 taught us that you can get an epiphany if you look at booty for long enough.

Qurupeke

Why show any form of bonding or attachment when you can skip that shit and say it happened anyway

Yeah. I felt like we were missing episodes. And then Yui appeared. :(

Asuna is the best part of SAO, in any case.

pbayne

I'd like to write an article about the generic school harem anime and compare and contrast what makes one work and what makes others fail.

How well they are marketed+how much skin do they show=rate of success

Its not as if level of writing or characters is a big factor

Noirulus

Man, watching Anime is such a better experience compared to reading Manga.

I blazed through Shokugeki no Soma's anime yesterday and I enjoyed it so much. The combination of the music, voice acting, and generally watching the characters come to life really lets you feel like you're a part of their world.

In contrast, now that I'm aching for more Soma, I'm trying to read the manga and it is a dull affair. Where's the hype music? The crowd chanting? Nakiri's embarrassed voice? :(

When done right, Anime > Manga 100% of the time.

Exactly! Sure, Asuna gives a legitimate reason as to why she loves Kirito in the first half of the show but Kirito never really shows those emotions back in the same way!

Like, during the ALO arc where
Asuna is captured, how many times do we see Kirito worried, scared, or depressed about it? The majority of the time, he's just his generic bland self!

Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon Episode 7 – Traitor

Felt like we skipped something in the middle of the episode (did they go underground?)

Anyway fun episode, thought kind of pointless moments {nekkid in the cell} for example.

I wanted to know what happened to the elf.

JulianImp

Exactly! Sure, Asuna gives a legitimate reason as to why she loves Kirito in the first half of the show but Kirito never really shows those emotions back in the same way!

Like, during the ALO arc where
Asuna is captured, how many times do we see Kirito worried, scared, or depressed about it? The majority of the time, he's just his generic bland self!

But spectators would've died if they had to see their power fantasy stand-in showing human weakness and emotion for too long.

...And now I just remembered how Yui basically hacked through the final dungeon to get Kirito to Asuna's room faster. The coolest thing in that part is that everybody sacrificing themselves to help Kirito make it to the top of the tower was supposed to be dramatic, only people would never die in ALO so that point was moot. Then we got the rapist slugs and the rapist game master back-to-back.

Seriously, screw the ALO arc (or at least what we got in the anime adaptation).

How well they are marketed+how much skin do they show=rate of success

Its not as if level of writing or characters is a big factor

How well they are marketed applies to any anime, and I don't disagree that it's probably the most important aspect of any shows success - especially in a genre not really carrying much weight in terms of storytelling. If just showing skin was a factor, things like OHSHC, The World God Only Knows, and Clannad wouldn't be able to compete in the same sphere as Highschool DxD and Shinmai Maou. Obviously, sex appeal is a key factor for the genre, but it'd be interesting to break down exactly what elements separate different series and how that correlates with critical success vs commercial.

pbayne

How well they are marketed applies to any anime, and I don't disagree that it's probably the most important aspect of any shows success - especially in a genre not really carrying much weight in terms of storytelling. If just showing skin was a factor, things like OHSHC, The World God Only Knows, and Clannad wouldn't be able to compete in the same sphere as Highschool DxD and Shinmai Maou. Obviously, sex appeal is a key factor for the genre, but it'd be interesting to break down exactly what elements separate different series and how that correlates with critical success vs commercial.

Wow no way Ouran deserves to put in generic harem bracket. I was kinda referring to the types of harem shows made now, in this god forsaken light novel landscape.

It probably does truly come down marketing, timing and a bit of luck. I mean is SAO and Index significantly better than Black bullet or any of the other less popular light novel harem shows(I don't watch many of them so I honestly don't know, they all look the same to me).

There is definitely a formula to writing this stuff though and I discovered it after reading the first four index books. which are essentially the exact same story re-packaged four times.

Touma meets girl-Touma meet bad guy-Bad guy hurt girl-Touma hurt bad guy-girl falls for Touma-Repeat.

JulianImp

Perhaps you'd do well to compile a list of harem shows and tag them with their most prominent features. Also, looking back to see which shows might've popularized certain characters, plot points or themes would probably be the right thing to do if you want to better understand where the genre came from and where it's headed to.

For example, Nisekoi was popular enough to get a second season despite not being focused on fanservice at all, and then there're shows like School Days that turn the genre on its head for the shock value, and some you could label as proto-harems, such as Ranma 1/2.

One thing I've seen is that most shows try their best to either have the MC as the single young male among the show's cast (Grisaia, Monogatari, ) or have a friend of his that is highly likely to be the comic relief character and either doesn't get paired up with anyone or is slowly prodded into getting together with the lone female character that might not actually have a crush on the MC (like Koseki in Nisekoi, I guess).

Wow no way Ouran deserves to put in generic harem bracket. I was kinda referring to the types of harem shows made now, in this god forsaken light novel landscape.

It probably does truly come down marketing, timing and a bit of luck. I mean is SAO and Index significantly better than Black bullet or any of the other less popular light novel harem shows(I don't watch many of them so I honestly don't know, they all look the same to me).

There is definitely a formula to writing this stuff though and I discovered it after reading the first four index books. which are essentially the exact same story re-packaged four times.

Touma meets girl-Touma meet bad guy-Bad guy hurt girl-Touma hurt bad guy-girl falls for Touma-Repeat.

I didn't necessarily mean generic in terms of being bad, just the "harem of some sort in high school" is the setting for probably 2/5ths of all anime made in the last decade.

What is everyone's opinion on Black Rock Shooter? I've been interested in it for a while (Finished Mekakkucity Actors, and Black Rock is similarly inspired by songs) but I also have Death Parade and Negima on my watch list.

jgminto

Who needs relationship development? They have a digimon to take care of and prove they have some sort of relationship.

What is everyone's opinion on Black Rock Shooter? I've been interested in it for a while (Finished Mekakkucity Actors, and Black Rock is similarly inspired by songs) but I also have Death Parade and Negima on my watch list.

The OVA is ok, but the TV series is infamous for being absolutely terrible in an entertaining way.

Phatmac

I blazed through Shokugeki no Soma's anime yesterday and I enjoyed it so much. The combination of the music, voice acting, and generally watching the characters come to life really lets you feel like you're a part of their world.

In contrast, now that I'm aching for more Soma, I'm trying to read the manga and it is a dull affair. Where's the hype music? The crowd chanting? Nakiri's embarrassed voice? :(

Same for me. Do you feel the same way when reading comics or books? I don't feel the same way with books yet feel something is missing when I read manga.

I disagree, especially since anime adaptions are almost never "done right" for a number of practical reasons. And even good adaptions like Soma have flaws. Like how the Soma anime constantly played up jiggling and shit like that

Patison

I'm thinking about getting into Gintama and I was wondering, what kind of humour and jokes does it have? Is it more like Soma and Nozaki-kun (which I adore) or is it as crazy as Nichijou? The latter I found sometimes funny and it's perfect material for short YouTube clips but if it goes for 20+ minutes I get kinda tired :lol

Some people compare it to Family Guy, don't know how accurate it is and I hope I didn't offend anyone right now :lol

Watching episode one lovely muuco because of OP. I wish the dogs butthole wasn't drawn in.

Also what is this newgrounds 3D 15fps animation?

I'm thinking about getting into Gintama and I was wondering, what kind of humour and jokes does it have? Is it more like Soma and Nozaki-kun (which I adore) or is it as crazy as Nichijou? The latter I found sometimes funny and it's perfect material for short YouTube clips but if it goes for 20+ minutes I get kinda tired :lol

Some people compare it to Family Guy, don't know how accurate it is and I hope I didn't offend anyone right now :lol

I'd compare it more to south park than anything. It ranges from pop culture jokes to crude humor to satire and more. I haven't watched Nichijou so I can't say how it compares to that.

Also, if you don't like the japanese manzai type setup the series might grate on you

And don't bother with episodes 1 or 2, it's an awful filler special before the anime team learned how to make amazing filler for the series

I completely agree with that statement.

It's not particularly surprising either as an anime just adds many more layers.

There's little that's taken away when you go the other direction. In a manga panel you can have several speech and thought bubbles at once whereas you don't want to muddle the voice acting too much in anime and you'd rather do those bits in succession. Then there's self-pacing which I guess could be one of the bigger aspects. However, I actually think well done pacing that's forced onto you can make for a better experience so I wouldn't count this really. Another somewhat common complaint is that high quality artwork often isn't as detailed in animation form. But that's not an actual limitation of animation but rather depends on the production value.

So yeh, if done well, all the additional elements in an anime will make for a much better experience.

I disagree, especially since anime adaptions are almost never "done right" for a number of practical reasons. And even good adaptions like Soma have flaws. Like how the Soma anime constantly played up jiggling and shit like that

But he says "when done right", so how's that a proper counterargument.

Don't think I agree. It's rare that an anime adaptation has the ability to match the manga, surpassing it entirely is something even rarer. Voice acting and stuff like that can add a LOT, though. No denying it.

Not really similar to Family Guy at all aside from references here and there. It's more skit based. It's kind of on the Nichijou side, but funnier and less well animated.

There's always that interesting comparison between the manga and anime, and which people enjoyed more.

Regardless of which is better though, anime is more important to me, because I rarely read manga or light novels.

As such when people tell me one version is better than the other, I kinda just take their word for it.

Russ T

Banned

Prove it!

---

I'm inclined to prefer anime over manga, myself, because I love the medium of animation. I adore it. I wish I had the talent and/or skill for it. But sometimes the anime just ends while the manga continues and you know it's never going to get another season and you just get sad. ):

I completely agree with that statement.

It's not particularly surprising either as an anime just adds many more layers.

There's little that's taken away when you go the other direction. In a manga panel you can have several speech and thought bubbles at once whereas you don't want to muddle the voice acting too much in anime and you'd rather do those bits in succession. Then there's self-pacing which I guess could be one of the bigger aspects. However, I actually think well done pacing that's forced onto you can make for a better experience so I wouldn't count this really. Another somewhat common complaint is that high quality artwork often isn't as detailed in animation form. But that's not an actual limitation of animation but rather depends on the production value.

So yeh, if done well, all the additional elements in an anime will make for a much better experience.

But he says "when done right", so how's that a proper counterargument.

I mean sure, but that's a pretty worthless statement since being done right is the exception, not the rule. It's like saying 100% of the time that Anime adaptations are better than manga, the anime adaptation is better than the manga

Patison

I'd compare it more to south park than anything. It ranges from pop culture jokes to crude humor to satire and more. I haven't watched Nichijou so I can't say how it compares to that.

Also, if you don't like the japanese manzai type setup the series might grate on you

And don't bother with episodes 1 or 2, it's an awful filler special before the anime team learned how to make amazing filler for the series
Not really similar to Family Guy at all aside from references here and there. It's more skit based. It's kind of on the Nichijou side, but funnier and less well animated.

Thank you! I'll start watching Gintama as soon as I finish Soma. I'm halfway through and it's really amazing, so much fun!

pbayne

Nana 18-23

Some of the couples this show throws up are really unexpected? Hachi and Nobu would be such a cute couple
Fuck Takumi
But no love for my man Yasu? Seriously the dude is cool as fuck, he's the nicest guy in the world, he's a drummer and he's a lawyer. What woman wouldn't fall for that combination?

Szadek

Nisemonogatari - Ep 1
Not a bad start at all. The characters are just are strange and entertaining as befroe and it still looks amazing.
Since this one is pretty short,I should be able to finish it in no time.

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 4
It still has similar problems as the other movies, but we learned quite a bit about the main villain in this episode.
The action was also good,but can get way too confussing at times.

I mean sure, but that's a pretty worthless statement since being done right is the exception, not the rule. It's like saying 100% of the time that Anime adaptations are better than manga, the anime adaptation is better than the manga

I mean if you consider it a worthless statement, whatever. It's just your argument was entirely pointless as you turned around the single condition when done well.

Get in here, everyone is fighting over SAO. Just another lovely evening on NeoGAF.

Just to fuel the good fun, just read over on MAL Japan's Weekly LN rankings. I usually don't care about this stuff, but guess who's first:

*1.&#12288;139,798&#12288;140,043&#12288;Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.18
*2.&#12288;*68,684&#12288;*68,684&#12288;Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Vol.14
*3.&#12288;*42,067&#12288;*42,067&#12288;Strike the Blood Vol.14
*4.&#12288;*17,817&#12288;*17,817&#12288;Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon: Girls Talk Vol.2 "Matsuri to Yume"
*5.&#12288;*11,275&#12288;*55,692&#12288;Naruto: Sasuke Shinden - Raikou-hen
*6.&#12288;*11,188&#12288;*11,807&#12288;Ensemble Stars! Seishun no Kyousoukyoku
*7.&#12288;*11,090&#12288;*11,709&#12288;Ensemble Stars! Kakumeiji no Gaika
*8.&#12288;**8,875&#12288;**8,875&#12288;Madoushi wa Heibon wo Nozomu Vol.11
*9.&#12288;**7,306&#12288;173,136&#12288;Okitegami Kyouko no Bibouroku
10.&#12288;**6,325&#12288;*33,020&#12288;Owari no Seraph: Ichinose Guren, 16-sai no Hametsu Vol.6

I patiently await for a Season 2 announcement.

Sakurako-san 07

A high school festival uh. And of course the kid would abandon his duties in his class in order to follow Sakurako around lol. Today was boring. Meh I didn't even finish the episode. This is part 1 of 2 I guess, and I wasn't interested in the mystery at all. Dropped.

Haikyuu S2 02-04

4DfIsly.jpg
IjAu0Mk.jpg

Yachi is a great addition to the cast, I love her already. She plays off of Hinata amazingly.

Hey this show is still great. It hasn't lost a beat in Season 2 and it may have even gained a few. It's a great and easy watch and it puts a smile on my face.

Also, I loved the animation in episode 4.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hidan no Aria AA goes from strength to strength. Most shows can't even cope with one stalkeresque character and yet AA pushes it to two!

jbug617

Banned
RS is fast with shipping for the holiday sale. Ordered Oreimo S2 this morning and they just emailed me that it has shipped. I was expecting it would take a couple of days.

You know, BGBW.

Sometimes I click on the thread title, instead of the last page link, by mistake.

And when that happens, I see your opening post.

And I just stare at it.

I stare at it, and wonder why.

Line_HTX

You know, BGBW.

Sometimes I click on the thread title, instead of the last page link, by mistake.

And when that happens, I see your opening post.

And I just stare at it.

I stare at it, and wonder why.

What's the matter, you don't like GAF-chan telling you what's airing and always abide by the ToS?

;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom