• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

This hasn't been a disastrous year for anime, but it hasn't been a super memorable one, either. Aside from 2014 holdovers, there have only been a few series that really stood out to me (Yuri Kuma and Euphonium).

Those are pretty much my main two takeaways from this year too. And well, the last half of Genuis Klim Nick's show of course! Shirobako was fun (second half much stronger than the first), and Koufuku Graffiti, which SHAFT did a really lovely job on.

Owari is great this year too, so far.

I was largely uninterested in anything that aired in summer, to the point where i'm pretty sure I skipped most of the shows from that season.
Staff for Gundam Thunderbolt - http://gundam-tb.net/staff_cast/index.html. If other sites and my google translate isn't wrong, directed and written by Matsuo Kuo of Valvrave fame.

A huge, shit-eating grin just appeared on my face. (his other credits are good too!)

phaze

This year has been pretty dire. Even OPM isn't doing a whole lot outside of being an animation showcase. Pinning my hopes on current arc of Owari ...

Kyousogiga: 5-6
And so ends the bittersweet stories of the three siblings and things are finally put into motion. The ending of episode 6 left me quiet confused as to what happened,
I don't understand how Koto was transfered to a place where she meets their mother.

Magic ! + Science from the Shrine-glasses guy. And Koto's hammer. Something like that.

I have duties to fulfill.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01

Hello. I am that guy who has never seen Utena and knows almost nothing about it other then Utena turns into a car. The only thing I have seen by Ikuhara is Yuri Kuma Arashi earlier this year and I liked it a lot other then the very awkward start. Or did he do some work on Diebuster and Soul Eater? I think he might have. Anyway YKA is probably the only thing I have to base my thoughts on since I'm not too into Mahou Shoujo and never saw his Sailor Moon stuff.

I don't really have a lot to say just going off the first episode. It had about what I expected - flowers, stairs, lots of black and red, and a lot of wacky terminology that means absolutely nothing to me right now. I am well aware of the shows reputation so my expectations are really high. It's just the first episode in a 39 episodes series so no strong feelings one way or another so far.

Thanks to first 5 episodes of Utena I finally learned where the hell that "chu chu" thing came from.

To be fair, while I agree 2014 was a better year, there was a lot of disappointments and just plain crap that year too.

Blade and Soul
Captain Earth
Brynhildr
Soul Eater Not
Aldnoah Fucking Zero
Tokyo ESP
Recently, My Sister is Unusual
Pupa
Rail Wars
Magical Warfare

The highs of 2014 were....well higher, but 2015 has been more consistent.

There's always loads of trash that can be listed in each year ( Pupa was a masterpiece though), Root A, Chaos Dragon, Soul of Gold and countless other shows I didn't even deign to remember.

Noragami 07

I feel like somewhere along the way, I missed some major infodump on the "Noras" and masks and their ilk. I don't recall that being fully explained in S1. Alright episode, one of the stronger comedic outings of the series.

zulux21

Koufuku Graffiti will probably end up my anime of the year.

my top 5 are
shokugeki no soma
dungeon
ore monogatari
one punch man

number 5 is actually really hard.... I guess death parade? not really sure so it really would just be out of my top 4 for my anime of the year. I suppose I should finish overlord before the year is up as that one had potential.

Sword Art Online 1-14

xo1XdWi.jpg

So I guess I’ll just put down my thoughts about this first major arc. Seems like everything has already been resolved so I wonder what I’m going to see next as there’s still a bunch of episodes left. Kinda makes me anxious as it looks like we’re going to be outside of the gaming world.

Anyhow, the first arc of Sword Art Online has everything I wanted out of a show about a boy trapped in a video game, not that I care much about the genre, I still have to watch Log Horizon after all before I can call myself a "connioisseur of the trapped in a MMO genre but at the end of the day SAO delivered on my expectations and even succeed it on some places.

I guess the “expectations” part may be the most important reason why I enjoyed this first half of the show. Every show, at least in my opinion, requires a different mind-set that’s probably based on what you want to get out of the show. If I’d watch Non Non Biyori for example I just want to relax and want to see some children playing around in the field and if I watch something like Perfect Blue I’m going to take it a lot more seriously and want to see some solid writing.

Like I said, SAO is about a boy who’s trapped in a MMO, a stupid concept to the core and as such, I’m just going to sit back and laugh at all the dumb stuff. For the rest this is probably what I’d want from a show like this:

- Some cool exploration of the MMO world.
- Monsters getting destroyed
- The main character acting like a hero/nice guy

This first half delivered on all of these, using the classic villain of the week format to explore a new concept of the game every episode, they even went the extra mile with neat little things like the part where Kirito hit the wall and a tooltip popped up. The concept of “sleep PK’ing” is also both hilarious and rather surprisingly clever at the same time, while it’s silly it’s still some cool world-building that shows that someone bothered thinking about this MMO world (for better or worse). I can always appreciate that.

I guess some people could think that the writing is bad since it features a lot of “give a bullshit reason to get Kirito from point A to B” a nice example would be the Minotaur fight where the soldiers are hell bent of charging themselves into their demise. At the end of the day it’s really not something that bothers me, I just laugh at how dumb it is and then get hyped when Kirito goes on to play the hero. The ends justify the means I guess.

I should mention that the whole army thing gets cleared up later on when apparently the soldiers are sent there as a political moves. It kinda leads me to think that the writer is aware of how ridiculous most of his little plots are but just rolls with it and gives a passable reason as to why it happens (remember when Kirito had to turn his TP crystals in for a trust exercise).

Some of the previous episodes also are nicely woven into the later episodes. Even if half of them are flashbacks to Kirito seeing his buddies die in the anti-crystal room. It works well enough to establish that Kirito actually wants fuck up the bad guys this time around. Basic motivations like this are all I’m looking for as anything more would get in the way of the juicy parts of the show. The reappearing characters are also awesome whenever they turn up. The Blacksmith and Klein with the boys are all good additions to the cast.

In short, these episodes of SAO were (dumb) fun, I was either laughing at some of the stupid stuff or genuinely excited by cool fights, the characters were also endearing with some sweet moments here and there.

My opinion of SAO basically boils down these words of wisdom:

It's OK, if I looked at/watched everything with a jaded and cynical view I would come to the same conclusions.]

-----------

I wonder how they’ll fuck it up in these last episodes because I’m pretty sure they’re going to fuck it up in these last episodes. There's only one way to find out I guess.

JulianImp

Sword Art Online 1-14

I wonder how they’ll fuck it up in these last episodes because I’m pretty sure they’re going to fuck it up in these last episodes.

The next arc introduces several elements that soured me on the series considerably, like
Asuna becoming a helpless captive princess to a bad guy that wants to own her, and also the whole thing about Suguha falling for her own brother without knowing it...

Trashy fun is okay, but upping the stakes by going that particular way wasn't really necessary IMO. The second season also starts okay-ish but
it eventually decides to go and play the same old "bad guy goes yandere for girl" card... Seriously, having bad guys that behave like mad sadistic rapists is something I wish the show could've avoided.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SAO is a flawed premise from the get go. We are meant to believe a non handheld/smartphone system like the NerveGear could even sell ten units in Japan let alone the millions they claim in the show.

Defuser

SAO is a flawed premise from the get go. We are meant to believe a non handheld/smartphone system like the NerveGear could even sell ten units in Japan let alone the millions they claim in the show.

A Nerve gear would still outsell Xbox One in Japan.

Line_HTX

Namco's Harada will bring us all of these in the year 2025. Summer Lesson was already the beginning. Now there's Tekken VR and it'll progress to the inevitable, lolol.

Line_HTX

During high school, I was told F/SN was great. So I watched the DEEN Fate route. It was underwhelming and garbage.

UBW, while it obviously looks better, isn't much better overall.

I swear F/SN is getting milked for all its decent, below average worth.

Hm, looks like trash. Hopefully it won't spread Studio DEEN too thin to give Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu a proper treatment.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is largely already done being produced, going from outsourcing studio Wanpack's site. In fact, the TV series is reusing material from the released manga bundled OADs which you can go watch right now.

JulianImp

Sure, Deen is famous for giving things a proper treatment.

Umineko when they (the audience) cry. Never forget.

Higurashi was also meh at times, but I ended up getting used to it after a while. Wasn't Log Horizon handled by Deen as well (at least S2, I think)? There's just something in their works I can't bring myself to like, even though I just can't pinpoint exactly what it is.

Cornbread78

Sword Art Online 1-14
In short, these episodes of SAO were (dumb) fun, I was either laughing at some of the stupid stuff or genuinely excited by cool fights, the characters were also endearing with some sweet moments here and there.

My opinion of SAO basically boils down these words of wisdom:
-----------

I wonder how they’ll fuck it up in these last episodes because I’m pretty sure they’re going to fuck it up in these last episodes. There's only one way to find out I guess.

That is by far the best part of the show. Sinon doesn't come up until S2 and she is great, but yeah, S1 has some questionable stuff, but I still really liked it.

Umineko when they (the audience) cry. Never forget.

Higurashi was also meh at times, but I ended up getting used to it after a while. Wasn't Log Horizon handled by Deen as well (at least S2, I think)? There's just something in their works I can't bring myself to like, even though I just can't pinpoint exactly what it is.

Mamoru Hatakeyama is one of the top directors working in anime today, so dismissing his work as "lol DEEN" is rather unfairly prejudiced.

Like they'll ever be subtitled.

The OADs won't get English subtitles, but that doesn't mean you can't watch then right now, as I did. Anyway, since the TV series will repackage the material and will probably be subbed by Crunchyroll, English speakers won't ultimately be missing out on anything.

jbug617

Banned
Right Stuf Holiday Sales
Kill Me Baby Bluray for $24.49
Is This Order A Rabbit Bluray for $26.99
Vampire Hunter D OVA Bluray for $13.49
Inu X Boku Secret Service Bluray for $24.49
Children Who Chase Lost Voices for $13.99
Sunday Without God Bluray for $24.49
The Severing Crime Edge Bluray for $20.99
Hozuki's Coolheadedness Bluray for $23.99
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna Bluray for $24.49
Fate/Stay Night Collection 1 Bluray for $9.99
Fate/Stay Night Collection 2 Bluray for $14.00
Humanity Has Declined Bluray for $20.99
ef ~ A Tale of Melodies Bluray for $14.00

ef ~ A Tale of Memories Bluray for $14.00
The World God Only Knows Bluray for $24.49
The World God Only Knows S2 Bluray for $24.49
The World God Only Knows S3 Bluray for $27.99
The World God Only Knows OVA Bluray for $15.99
Hamatora S1 Bluray for $31.49
Penguin Drum Collection 1 Bluray for $24.49

Penguin Drum Collection 2 Bluray for $24.49
Haikyuu Collection 1 Bluray for $26.99
Haikyuu Collection 2 Bluray for $26.99
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Bluray for $8.00Watamote Bluray for $24.49
Kids on the Slope Bluray for $24.49
MM! Bluray for $24.49
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Bluray for $29.99
Samurai Girls Bluray for $24.49
AKB0048 Bluray for $20.99
Sakura Wars DVD for $10.49
Fantasista Dolls Bluray for $20.99 (DVD for $17.49)
Kokoro Connect Bluray for $24.49 (DVD $20.99)
Kokoro Connect OVA Bluray for $13.99 (DVD $10.49)
La Storia della Arcana Famiglia Bluray for $24.49 (DVD $20.99)
Mardock Scramble: First Compression Bluray for $8.00 (DVD $6.00)
Mardock Scramble: Second Combustion Bluray for $8.00(DVD $6.00)
Mardock Scramble: Third Exhaust Bluray for $8.00 (DVD $6.00)
Redline Bluray for $7.99 (DVD $5.99)
Say I Love You Bluray for $24.49 (DVD $20.99)
Gargantia on the Verdurous Plane Bluray/DVD for $43.99 (DVD $19.99)
Coppelion Bluray/DVD for $34.99
Brynhildr in the Darkness Bluray for $34.99 (DVD $20.99)
Blood Lad Bluray/DVD for $34.99
Special A DVD for $15.00
There is more so here is the page for all the deals (DVD and Manga also). They only take taxes for certain states and free shipping for over $50.
http://www.rightstufanime.com/holiday-sale/Everything-On-Sale

11/19 Sales Highlights (There is more on sale in the link):
Hiiro no Kakera: The Tamayori Princess Saga Season 1 Bluray for $11.97 (DVD $10.26)
Hiiro no Kakera: The Tamayori Princess Saga Season 2 Bluray for $11.97 (DVD $10.26)
K Limited Edition Bluray for $34.99
Space Dandy Season 1 Limited Edition Bluray/DVD for $34.99
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Collection 1 Bluray for $27.99 (DVD $23.99)
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Collection 2 Bluray for $27.99 (DVD $23.99)
Un-Go Bluray for $24.49 (DVD $20.99)
Servant X Service DVD for $39.98

The Links go to the Bluray versions but I decided to add the DVD price also just in case some people would rather buy those versions.

Jex

As for 2015, I'll have to agree that it's kind of been a mediocre year, which isn't the same as saying that it hasn't had good shows, I just don't think many of them will go down in the history books as 'definitive' shows that 'need' to be watched ten years from now.

Staff for Gundam Thunderbolt - http://gundam-tb.net/staff_cast/index.html. If other sites and my google translate isn't wrong, directed and written by Matsuo Kuo of Valvrave fame.

Kou Matsuo is a good director with a meticulous work ethic and a long history with the Gundam franchise. Valvrave is actually an aberration in terms of tone from most of his body of work, and it's a series he did not write, unlike Kurenai or Natsuyuki Rendevous. His defining feature as a director is his use of pre-animation dialogue recording, unique in the anime industry as far as I'm aware, which tends to give his shows a more naturalistic depiction of character interaction. (Also his love of musicals, which shows up in Red Garden, Kurenai, and Valvrave.) I look forward to seeing his work on Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt looks like a very promising project in general. Hirotoshi Takaya is doing an excellent job with the animation character designs.

Look at that shading! Otaking would be proud. Seriously, it's really attractive stuff.

I'm particularly excited for the presence of Naruyoshi Kikuchi as composer. The music he did for the Fujiko Mine series was awesome, probably the best thing about that project, so I'm really looking forward to what he comes up for this.

Kou Matsuo is a good director with a meticulous work ethic and a long history with the Gundam franchise. Valvrave is actually an aberration in terms of tone from most of his body of work, and it's a series he did not write, unlike Kurenai or Natsuyuki Rendevous.
Oh god, please don't tell me he was responsible for Kurenai's abhorrent anime original ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom