• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So took a break from Anime for 2 weeks, now I'm back and better than ever!

So today I started my rewatch of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which I'm only at episode 3 yet.
The real good stuff hasn't started yet but I can't get enough of good ol' Jonathan Joestar.

I also watched two episodes of Chihayafuru.

It's beautiful.
I had never heard about Karuta and it seems like a pretty cool thing, a bit different but still seems like it will have a similar build up as any other sport shonen.
I will have to watch more to see if it'll stick, enjoying it so far.

pbayne

God talking about Geass R2 is dredging up the hate I have for it. Im just gonna rant here on the absolute stupidest part of the show.

The Empereor. Holy shit what were they thinking. Why does he turn into Gendou Ikari?

Seriously after all the build up to Lelouch's revenge all the empereor had to be was the big, bad guy sitting in the throne room for Lelouch to overcome. But nope, they had to fit him into some shitty Eva Instrumentality rip-off bullshit. Its the most out of place thing I've seen in any show. And his mother being in on it to, fuck right off.

I dunno how people can defend R2.

God talking about Geass R2 is dredging up the hate I have for it. Im just gonna rant here on the absolute stupidest part of the show.

The Empereor. Holy shit what were they thinking. Why does he turn into Gendou Ikari?

Seriously after all the build up to Lelouch's revenge all the empereor had to be was the big, bad guy sitting in the throne room for Lelouch to overcome. But nope, they had to fit him into some shitty Eva Instrumentality rip-off bullshit. Its the most out of place thing I've seen in any show. And his mother being in on it to, fuck right off.

People generally don't think R2 was well written. Geass is all about the spectacle and the 2nd half of R2 delivers that in spades.

You're not alone friend.
The whole bollocks with the Emperor isn't even the worst part of R2 IMO.

Hagi

Personally I don't really think it needs defending because it's numerous faults add up to why it's so enjoyable.

This season.
Shomin Sample - Probably my favorite show for some goddamn reason.

Trash tier
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The ED song is fantastic though.)
The Perfect Insider
Taimadou Gakuen 35
Comet Lucifer

jett

D-Member
Watching Yu Yu Hakusho cuz it got a few mentions when I mentioned I was watching HxH.

I watched a couple of eps in my youth but remembered very little of it. I'm 17 eps in. It's nice so far, charmingly quaint. I keep watching cuz it's mostly entertaining in a nostalgic kind of way, I'm just no all that invested in what that is going on here. I just don't have this need of GOTTA KEEP WATCHING! like with HxH. Kuwabara is my favorite.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

It is a trainwreck show. But hey, watching a train goes off it's rail and did suzaku spin is kinda fun.

You're not alone friend.
The whole bollocks with the Emperor isn't even the worst part of R2 IMO.

Code Geass is like seeing people build a really tall but unstable-looking building and watching the construction crew realize that it's not gonna work and proceed to demolish it.

And be honest folks, if you saw a demolition crew at work on a massive skyscraper, would you really not stay and watch the fun?

That's the beauty of Geass, both R1 and R2.

Squishy3

Okay I started Symphogear GX finally.

Symphogear GX 01

RIP Kilimanjaro. I honestly expected a lot more out of this based on people's impressions.

Symphogear GX 02

Does CR seriously not have subs for the Symphogear songs this season? ;/ The what I'm assuming are Homunculi are cool.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Trash tier
The Perfect Insider
Normally I would probably not care that someone would call this show "trash", but when it's attached to a post that highlights Shomin Sample as the series of the season I feel slightly more obligated to defend Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider. At the very least it fills a void in the season (and maybe longer) for content that takes an introspective look at its characters, and those characters are developing and moving forward as the show looks back. There's going to be dumb plot twists and the production corner cutting is sort of extreme at times but it's offering something fairly unique in the space.

Quieter than usual due to crazy amounts of work to do on the last weeks of this semester. Spent the whole week developing an app, and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel... anyway:

The Perfect Insider 08

Could just be me but this episode... Looked really good? Like the general art and direction or the shots seemed to be a pretty big focus of this week's episode. Like when sensei began piecing the info together? The episode had all this crazy imagery that I can't really explain. Seems like he knows part of what happened, but we got cut off.

JCG

Code Geass is like seeing people build a really tall but unstable-looking building and watching the construction crew realize that it's not gonna work and proceed to demolish it.
That's the beauty of Geass, both R1 and R2.

Which is where I profoundly disagree. I think the beauty of Code Geass is actually the opposite of that. Why? Because Goro Taniguchi, may heaven bless him, is not a blind man. In fact, he's extremely self-aware. In a better world, more people would try to dig up his opinions and intentions for this show. Whether you agree with his methods or not, he was always very open about what they were doing with Code Geass.

Even back in the early days, the construction crew started out with a very crazy design in their heads. That's not a mistake nor a flaw in the plans. They knew that crazy twists and turns would be entertaining for the audience as well as something that would throw our expectations from one side of the room to the other. The entire meta aspect to the viewing experience isn't something the creators were unaware of.

In other words, they didn't really "demolish" anything all of a sudden. They were not using traditional construction methods in the first place. R2 has issues, but they were always aware of the end goal. And, as it can be proven, they reached it. The infamous "change of plans for R2" narrative is rather overstated, in that the staff changed the connecting tissue (admittedly for the worse) but not their main objectives nor their priorities as entertainers. The writing isn't perfect, no, although it is also true that some of the complaints about R2 have more to do with audience expectations than actual problems with the material itself (and often ignores the staff was playing along the whole time).

Simply put, Code Geass was all about a rogue trickster vs. his "heroic" friend/rival vs. the World. It's not about Lelouch having his revenge and calling it a day. That was never, ever going to be the plan for the story. Not only did the staff realize the public would find it too predictable (see Gun X Sword, Taniguchi's immediately prior work, if you just want a straightforward revenge arc), they were already emphasizing the "bad/evil" nature of Lelouch rather than the real or imagined "justice" of his cause. In short, think of the tail end of R2 like a variation of Char's Counterattack. That clarifies a lot, in my opinion, and ties what actually matters together.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Watching Yu Yu Hakusho cuz it got a few mentions when I mentioned I was watching HxH.

I watched a couple of eps in my youth but remembered very little of it. I'm 17 eps in. It's nice so far, charmingly quaint. I keep watching cuz it's mostly entertaining in a nostalgic kind of way, I'm just no all that invested in what that is going on here. I just don't have this need of GOTTA KEEP WATCHING! like with HxH. Kuwabara is my favorite.
it gets better as it goes on. the first arc is pretty rough.

Normally I would probably not care that someone would call this show "trash", but when it's attached to a post that highlights Shomin Sample as the series of the season I feel slightly more obligated to defend Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider. At the very least it fills a void in the season (and maybe longer) for content that takes an introspective look at its characters, and those characters are developing and moving forward as the show looks back. There's going to be dumb plot twists and the production corner cutting is sort of extreme at times but it's offering something fairly unique in the space.

Well, Owarimonogatari does all that perfectly well.

Moaradin

Are you watching the dub? Because you should.

JCG

Despite the obvious faults, I'll defend Code Geass because it's good enough to be a ridiculous train ride, just like Cross Ange.

Whereas I'd say the staff were so aware of crazy things being entertaining that many "obvious" faults become either relative or outright irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunately, I don't like Cross Ange and not because I have a problem with crazy trains. In fact, I happen to enjoy them myself. But I prefer wild train rides that are interesting and which let me leave the station in one piece after all the insanity of the journey. Code Geass, one way or another, actually does that. The rails are absurdly twisted and so on, but the train doesn't kill its passengers. Ergo, there's no "wreck" as such.

Cross Ange...doesn't give me what I want to see. It's fun, by all indications, but rather hollow. Besides, it is also kind of disgusting around the edges in a way that's a little too much for my taste.

Hagi

Sölf;186923144 said:
The whole soundtrack is amazing. I really didn't expect that at the beginning.

Yup they knocked it right out of the gate from the start. I'm surprised that Wenge speaks through a translator. As weird as it sounds I guess I wasn't expecting the chinese character to actually be speaking chinese.

Sölf

Yup they knocked it right out of the gate from the start. I'm surprised that Wenge speaks through a translator. As weird as it sounds I guess I wasn't expecting the chinese character to actually be speaking chinese.

Yeah, that's another thing. Foreign characters actually speaking in their native tongue. And it actually sounded good. But then again, no idea if that was gracious chinese for a native speaker or not... xD

Hagi

Sölf;186923846 said:
Yeah, that's another thing. Foreign characters actually speaking in their native tongue. And it actually sounded good. But then again, no idea if that was gracious chinese for a native speaker or not... xD

Yeah it could have been the Chinese equivalent to Engrish for all I know but It's a nice bit of detail that makes his interactions with Peco and Smile in episode 1 interesting.

Sölf;186923846 said:

The voice actor for Wenge is a native Chinese speaker working in Japan. I don't speak Chinese, but people I know who do say that his speech is completely authentic.

Yu Yu hits its stride with the eventual tournament arc (a first) if only for the batshit crazy animation and art direction.

Cornbread78

A lot of new faces up in here this week. Welcome newbies, kick your feet up, relax and post up. Oh and watch Clannad and Sword Art Online.

wonzo

Banned
perfect insider 8

really hope noitamina pushes to cover the rest of the novels + short stories as this has turned out to be far more engrossing than i expected. at the very least get some weeb publisher to translate the books!

Hagi

A lot of new faces up in here this week. Welcome newbies, kick your feet up, relax and post up. Oh and watch Clannad and Sword Art Online.

I've already seen most of the latter and didn't really care for it. I even thought I'd give the novels a try but nope same result. I feel like it squandered it's interesting premise pretty quickly. Is season 2 any better? I might give Log Horizon a try sometime I've heard fairly good things about that.

I've heard of Clannad before but only when people say Keyshit. I'll admit I have no idea if that's a good or bad nickname for the show.

jett

D-Member
it gets better as it goes on. the first arc is pretty rough.

Yeah I'm hoping it gets better.

Are you watching the dub? Because you should.

I've heard people praise the dub, but I'm just watching it subbed.

Is this it? I think I'll pass. :p

Yu Yu hits its stride with the eventual tournament arc (a first) if only for the batshit crazy animation and art direction.

I actually have some vague memories of a tournament, wonder if I'll recognize anything.

JCG

I'm probably slightly crazy to think too many people will appreciate some of these observations, since most of their minds are already made up, but even so...

Lelouch=By R2 I had no idea what his overall goal was anymore.

On the most basic level, Lelouch wanted to make the world a better place and thought that using "evil/bad" means was an entirely acceptable way to produce a "good/right" end.This is true in S1 and also remains true in R2. His underlying goal never changes. What does change, however, is the exact way he justifies it all both to himself and to other people. And the fact he isn't emotionless makes his mood swings rather extreme.
Lelouch was definitely using Nunnally as his excuse for a very long time and didn't get over that obsession until a ton of crazy events pushed him over the edge, but at the end of the road he still wanted to have a positive effect and leave a mark on the world.

Expecting socio-political realism out of Code Geass is missing the whole point, but it works like this:.
Lelouch's actions are simply giving people a common starting point, but they are not meant to produce a permanent peace. Even the epilogue itself basically acknowledges there are remaining problems and there will be new conflicts (why do you think there is a new hero still around?), yet the status quo has been improved .That's all.

Well, I feel like providing an answer even though it may not be what you want to read. So let me ask you a question: how seriously do you think the staff were taking -and thought you, the viewer, should take- an episode of R2 that also includes
Rocketmoto flying across the room
right after the big climatic scene? The answer is....not very much so. I mean, you also have an earlier scene where
Lelouch's mom is drawing something on Suzaku's sleeping face with a crayon. For no reason other than to mess around with him.

Do you see where I am going with this? The staff were doing an
Evangelion
pastiche with a twist and some self-mockery along the way, in the same manner they had already done with Gundam SEED. This is where I should point out that Gun X Sword had less total plot twists but also included a ton of pastiche contents (which is why I say GXS is the anime equivalent of Kill Bill in more than one sense), plus a directly comparable "rip-off" towards the end. The difference is that in Code Geass
the story actually kept going rather than concluding with the Eva-style nonsense
, which is what happened when that familiar idea came up during the last arc of GXS (this is also where I should point out that episode 3 of GXS has another Eva reference in the enemy's design, which isn't any more subtle than the Mexican GaoGaiGar fighting it).

Technically the messy script of R2 does include some previous build-up for that, if anyone cares (and the Emperor was busy with mystical BS since day one of S1), but I did consider it a pretty dumb idea on a visceral level. That said, if you ask me, the best part of what they did is how you can more or less transparently interpret the last episodes of R2 as a sort of
contest of supervillains between the Emperor, Schneizel and Lelouch all with their crazy plans to alter the state of the world.
Lelouch himself spells out the differences between them later on, so I appreciate it more in retrospect than during the first viewing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well, Owarimonogatari does all that perfectly well.
I don't feel like turning on my computer to find a good reaction image for this.

Monogatari characters don't feel like real people to me. Their existence and past is truncated outside of the supernatural. The series is less concerned about building the characters and instead chooses to focus on unraveling the odd situation around them.

Perfect Insider is weighing and evaluating character perspectives and how that influences their entire outlook on life/existence.

After a couple of weeks I am able to watch anime once again.

Witch Hunter Robin 25

I see the writers of Gundam SEED and Witch Hunter Robin switched notes at some point.
Using Genetic manipulation to make the MC the most powerful character in the series.
Both series did come out in 2002 after all.

Perfect Insider is probably a good show and all but I was mainly interested for the Inio Asano character designs and when I realized that the show wasn't an Inio Asano story I pretty quickly lost interest. Maybe that's my fault for not looking info up on it.

So took a break from Anime for 2 weeks, now I'm back and better than ever!

So today I started my rewatch of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which I'm only at episode 3 yet.
The real good stuff hasn't started yet but I can't get enough of good ol' Jonathan Joestar.

I also watched two episodes of Chihayafuru.

It's beautiful.
I had never heard about Karuta and it seems like a pretty cool thing, a bit different but still seems like it will have a similar build up as any other sport shonen.
I will have to watch more to see if it'll stick, enjoying it so far.

Enjoy Chihayafuru, one of my favorites. Its biggest fault is that there's not more of it. Also Arata, fuck that guy.

Witch Hunter Robin 26 + Final thoughts

Adom and Robin are an allegory for Adam and Eve that will begin the creation of new race of witches. The show doesn't outright say that but that's the implication.

Having re-watched the series, I'll admit Witch Hunter Robin wasn't as good as I thought it was back when I was younger. That said it's still a decent, underrated series, and it was nice to get a little bit of a nostalgia trip.

JulianImp

I like The Perfect Insider quite a bit. I feel like I'm the only one lol.

Some of us have said a couple times that we were at least mildly interested in it, but feel free to think that isn't the case.

I'm gonna wait on watching The Perfect Insider.

Seems like a show that could completely bungle the ending, and ruin the entire experience.

As with most shows I'm somewhat interested in, I'd rather watch it week by week alongside the rest of the world than waiting until it's over and other people tell me whether it was supposed to be good or not. I haven't watched the latest episode, but it hasn't become bad to the point of being unwatchable up to ep7.

Yesterday's random anime dinnertime produced Wizard Barristers, which was decent in ep1 (except for the mascot rastafari frog groping the MC), but then ep2 had the cast solve the crime in the dumbest way possible: capture the criminal gang that had one of their members killed and have them testify that the killer wasn't related to them at all, since common sense dictates that the mobsters, hating the killer's guts, would probably say he was one of their comrades in order to get him the death sentence. Instead, they saved his life by declaring he wasn't an accomplice, and therefore could get off the hook from having killed someone by alleging self-defense.

ibyea

Banned
Perfect Insider: 8
After the really annoying love competition conversation between Nishinosono and the other woman, we find out Red Magic was taken down because of a trojan. Someone apparently forgot to install Malwarebytes. :p Seriously though, for such a perfect system that sure is a gaping hole in the security. Also, this show sure drip feeds information to the audience. All I got out of that is that the one Nishinosono saw in the VR thing wasn't Magata. And I thought that I would get something moving forward after that weird inspiration flash with silly unnecessary imageries.
Overall not much happened

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
nanana's buried treasure sucked
Dat Tensai though...

Okada gundam 8
Now that is what i call harem.
Mika and orga determination to become even better to support each other was great. I can't wait to see one of them break and decide to betray the other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom