• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've fell back into the anime hole and started aimlessly watching shows again but I could do with some guidance on what have been the stand out series the last two years. I'm currently Iron Blood Orphans, One Punch Man and season 1 of Haikyuu which is really fun and looks downright amazing at times. I started watching Yowamushi Pedal and Hunter X Hunter but I dropped the latter and the former is wearing on me a little at the moment.

I can't say I dislike Gon or Onoda but at this moment in time the type of characters that they are drag both shows down for me to the point where I grow tired of watching. I'm only at episode 9 of Yowa Pedal but Onoda being an amateur and continuously exceeding everyone's expectations to the point of absurdity isn't really doing it for me. Is there any sports anime that you folks might recommend? I'm thinking about Ping Pong as the main character is already familiar to the sport. I don't so much mind underdog stories but the way it is presented is key I think.

I generally like action and sci-fi titles but my tastes are expanding as I age so anything is fair game. Movies would be cool as well.

Ping Pong is very good indeed, a good character study in addition to being an exciting sports show. Yuasa did a fantastic job with the adaptation, especially under the crazy schedule he had to keep.

Other than that, here is what I would recommend from the past two years, in no particular order:

Mushishi Zoku-Sho
Tale of Princess Kaguya
Pupipo
The Wind Rises
Japanese Animator Expo
Giovanni's Island
Silver Spoon
Shounen Hollywood
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Parol's Future Island
Girls und Panzer - Anzio OVA
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Tonari no Seki-kun
Ronja the Robber's Daughter
Shirobako
Space Dandy
Noragami
Nandaka Velconica
Youkai Watch
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Yama no Susume S2
Short Peace
Samurai Flamenco
Tamako Love Story
Tribe Cool Crew
When Marnie Was There
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Kagewani
Ushio and Tora
Shokugeki no Soma
Sore ga Seiyuu
Sound! Euphonium
Houkago no Pleiades
Working!!!
Non Non Biyori Repeat
One Punch Man
Perfect Insider
Osomatsu-san
Fushigi na Somera-chan
Gundam the Origin
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
Typhoon Noruda

What other shape does one propose for fighting robots? Tank shaped (kind of inefficient)? I would like to see fighting Moving Fortresses though.

Also fighting robots without swords and wings are no good, beam swords and wings is what makes them so cool.

I mean in shows about battling robots the ones that win are never the ones shaped like humans lol. Hard to compare it to something really when fiction has either space humanoid robots or like flighter planes in space.

Fucking Yamato just gave no fucks and had a battleship in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

I mean in shows about battling robots the ones that win are never the ones shaped like humans lol. Hard to compare it to something really when fiction has either space humanoid robots or like flighter planes in space.

HAHAHAHAHA

Tell that to every mobile armor in every Gundam show.

Sölf

You watching Heavy Objects? I mean, isn't that like a Mecha show without humanoid Mechas?

Also, the second OP of Code Geass sucks balls. God, so bad compared to the first.

Qurupeke

Code Geass 7

cNXdn4y.png

I ship them.

One of the big points of animation is to do things visually that live-action is not capable of, so I don't see the point of complaining that mecha designs wouldn't work in real life.

Recently I've fell back into the anime hole and started aimlessly watching shows again but I could do with some guidance on what have been the stand out series the last two years. I'm currently Iron Blood Orphans, One Punch Man and season 1 of Haikyuu which is really fun and looks downright amazing at times. I started watching Yowamushi Pedal and Hunter X Hunter but I dropped the latter and the former is wearing on me a little at the moment.

I can't say I dislike Gon or Onoda but at this moment in time the type of characters that they are drag both shows down for me to the point where I grow tired of watching. I'm only at episode 9 of Yowa Pedal but Onoda being an amateur and continuously exceeding everyone's expectations to the point of absurdity isn't really doing it for me. Is there any sports anime that you folks might recommend? I'm thinking about Ping Pong as the main character is already familiar to the sport. I don't so much mind underdog stories but the way it is presented is key I think.

I generally like action and sci-fi titles but my tastes are expanding as I age so anything is fair game. Movies would be cool as well.

Fafner Exodus is actually AOTS, but requires having seen the original series, prequel OVA, and movie.

Oh my. Another look at that Madoka link with Google translate actually does sound like it's gonna be another movie.

nononoo i mustn't get hyped nononono.

One of the big points of animation is to do things visually that live-action is not capable of, so I don't see the point of complaining that mecha designs wouldn't work in real life.

I agree. Although I feel like there are plenty of ways to get around physical constraints for Mecha in live action film. Not like you have to build a life size mech that moves on it's own to include one in a live action movie. Movies have plenty of techniques that can get around stuff like that

I hope this wasn't directed at me, I understand that science fiction (and fiction in general) is at liberty to do as they want and that our limited technological advancement in robotics shouldn't be used as an argument.

I'm just saying I find it silly and one of the aspects of anime I'll never really ever be able to entertain me fully because there's always that voice at the back of my mind at how silly it all is. I mean they give them faces and everything.

The argument could be made from people who grew up in Japan that people running around in spandex/their underwear fighting crime is just as funny. I'm just thinking about it as an engineer. Not mechanical engineer true, but it just seems inefficient.

Sölf;186877595 said:
You watching Heavy Objects? I mean, isn't that like a Mecha show without humanoid Mechas?

Also, the second OP of Code Geass sucks balls. God, so bad compared to the first.

I'm watching Heavy Object yeah, but more like a passing fancy. I appreciate at least their attempt to put logic and engineering behind it, outside of the silly anime writing. Have they made an argument as to why robots are used in warfare and to keep balance of power among nations and not nuclear weapons?

I hope this wasn't directed at me, I understand that science fiction (and fiction in general) is at liberty to do as they want and that our limited technological advancement in robotics shouldn't be used as an argument.

I'm just saying I find it silly and one of the aspects of anime I'll never really ever be able to entertain me fully because there's always that voice at the back of my mind at how silly it all is. I mean they give them faces and everything.

The argument could be made from people who grew up in Japan that people running around in spandex/their underwear fighting crime is just as funny. I'm just thinking about it as an engineer. Not mechanical engineer true, but it just seems inefficient.

I'm watching Heavy Object yeah, but more like a passing fancy. I appreciate at least their attempt to put logic and engineering behind it, outside of the silly anime writing. Have they made an argument as to why robots are used in warfare and to keep balance of power among nations and not nuclear weapons?

First episode had them explain that the first object pretty much tanked a shitload of nuclear weapons and still managed to destroy the world allied fleet without before it shut down completely

Found out about the whole Millenniumon story business since it involves Ryo (who appears in 02 and Tamers) and this shit is stupid.

Like Kingdom Hearts level of YOU NEED THIS AND THAT to understand the lore and shit. What the fuck were they thinking

Line_HTX

Is Code Geass like Cross Ange?

Haven't seen it yet.

No fucking way... You can't be serious, you haven't seen Code Geass?

I'd say that Cross Ange was like a throwback and shoutout to the awesome train ride that is Code Geass. It's been so long that I actually like Ange's type of pacing more than Valvrave.

Anko

Sweet heavenly Kajiura. Finally. Something not SAO and not TV drama.

Sounds promising too. And the show looks right up my alley. I have to ask, how did Tomohiko Itō do for Silver Spoon, because his SAO directing work does not inspire confidence?

That Kajiura went back to compose (film scoring!) for the Madoka concept movie makes me happy too. I hope we actually get to see it in some form some day. Would hate to miss on the music (and the concept movie itself, of course) written.

So much Kajiura news in a day.

Regarding the sequel for Madoka, they've made it clear from the start that they were interested in doing one. None of them were even the slightest bit subtle in indicating their intent. Still, glad to see that we are one step closer to it happening for real.

Hagi

Wow thanks for the responses guys.
Haikyuu!! and Ace of Diamond.

I'll take a look into Ace of Diamond, I've only ever experienced Baseball through anime.

Sölf;186874886 said:
Definitly watch Ping Pong. It's really good.As far as Action and Sci-fi goes:
- Parasyte
- Space Dandy
- Shingeki no Bahamut (the beginning is great, but the second half isn't as good; still a good show, imo)
- Psycho-Pass 2 (now, it's by far not as good as the first season, but also don't think it's as bad as people make it out; still, probably the weakest of the ones I mentioned)

As far as other good shows (Comedy and what not):
- Shokugeki no Soma (ecchi after the first 1-2 episodes gets toned down by a lot, so don't get discouraged)
- Shimoneta (insanity incoming)
- Overlord (more fantasy and slow paced, but damn did I love it)
- JoJo's Bizare Adventure - Part 3: Stardust Crusaders (definitly watch S1 first, which contains part 1 and 2; Part 3 is also stretched out over 2 seasons)

I've been meaning to go back and finish Psycho Pass because I really enjoyed what I watched of season 1. I have issues finishing things even when I really enjoy them. I love JoJo but haven't watched the part 3 anime yet. Thanks for the recs going to look into Overlord and Bahamut and try and go back to the shows I've seen but not finished in your list.

somehow i missed that you said you're already watching haikyuu

well that's it that's the best sports anime has to offer so you're only going downhill from there

That bodes for the rest of Haikyuu then!

Ping Pong is very good indeed, a good character study in addition to being an exciting sports show. Yuasa did a fantastic job with the adaptation, especially under the crazy schedule he had to keep.

Other than that, here is what I would recommend from the past two years, in no particular order:

Mushishi Zoku-Sho
Tale of Princess Kaguya
Pupipo
The Wind Rises
Japanese Animator Expo
Giovanni's Island
Silver Spoon
Shounen Hollywood
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Parol's Future Island
Girls und Panzer - Anzio OVA
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Tonari no Seki-kun
Ronja the Robber's Daughter
Shirobako
Space Dandy
Noragami
Nandaka Velconica
Youkai Watch
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Yama no Susume S2
Short Peace
Samurai Flamenco
Tamako Love Story
Tribe Cool Crew
When Marnie Was There
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Kagewani
Ushio and Tora
Shokugeki no Soma
Sore ga Seiyuu
Sound! Euphonium
Houkago no Pleiades
Working!!!
Non Non Biyori Repeat
One Punch Man
Perfect Insider
Osomatsu-san
Fushigi na Somera-chan
Gundam the Origin
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
Typhoon Noruda

Wow a lot of stuff to look into thanks a lot.

Fafner Exodus is actually AOTS, but requires having seen the original series, prequel OVA, and movie.

I've actually started Fafner a few times but never got really far. I'm a huge mecha fan but for some reason I could never get into that show. I remember watching it around the time SEED or Destiny was out though so I was really tired of seeing Hirai Hisashi character designs.

I'll post impression on whatever I pick up thanks to you kind folks. Going to start with Ping Pong and go from there.

I've never watched the show, but the name "to love ru darkness" makes my dead hurt.

What's a ru?

To-Love-Ru is supposed to be "Trouble" in really bad engrish.

Is Code Geass like Cross Ange?

Haven't seen it yet.

fuck u tusr

It seems Madoka Magica maybe have something new announcement.
How big will it be? well, we will see it tomorrow.

http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/73987

Probably going to be a happy ending movie for babies since most series dont have the balls to end like that

Hopefully it's a Madogatari animated thing

please no

Where else do they go with that? Rebellion ends on this kind of empty victory for Homura where she knows that eventually, someday down the line, no matter how long it takes, Madoka will realize whats up and then its over.

I assume the fourth movie will be like "Ok so heres how all that happens and you get a big team up with everyone for some catharsis you baby. Incubators win."

I am so totally into a blue balls fuck you ending but nobody ever goes through with it.

Wait, that was bait?

everything tusr says is bait

like saying Tsukihi is good

I must remain cautiously optimistic.

I mustn't let my hype get out of control like it did with Rebellion.

Simply reading the spoilers for Rebellion when it came out made me so mad I was practically in a daze for a while.

I will remain calm and composed, and see what this turns out to be.

Haha

Madoka probably isn't going to end with that movie.

The cash train is going to keep rolling

€hoo €hoo

Of course not, they could shoot for the ultra happy ending where they somehow also deal with the Incubators but then they would run out of material.

Or they could just introduce a new enemy and go on forever like a real mahou shoujo

Ascheroth

I've actually started Fafner a few times but never got really far. I'm a huge mecha fan but for some reason I could never get into that show. I remember watching it around the time SEED or Destiny was out though so I was really tired of seeing Hirai Hisashi character designs.

I'll post impression on whatever I pick up thanks to you kind folks. Going to start with Ping Pong and go from there.

As someone who was recently in the same boat as you with Fafner (I watched 6 or 7 episodes of the original a while back, then stopped watching for some months, then came back to it a few weeks ago and I'm currently at episode 13 of Exodus) I say it's absolutely worth it.

The original Fafner picks up A LOT after episode 11 (there was a writer change) and it just gets better and better and better during the second half of the TV series, the OVA, movie and Exodus.
Exodus is amazing. The visuals, the action, the characters, the music, the concepts, the story, everything.

And I haven't even started the currently airing second season yet, where people are saying it gets even better.

Cornbread78

"Your waifu is shit" fits nicely here.

In other news, I ate waaaay too much and I really don't want to work tonight, the office has been bad enough all week.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Hagi, finish Hunter x Hunter. FINISH IT. I don't know how far you are, but make it to the end of the Heaven's Arena arc. If you still don't like it by then, you're probably a bad person.

I'll probably never watch Hunter x Hunter. Too long, don't have enough time for it.

I'll just keep watching Fairy Tail.
I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

Hagi

As someone who was recently in the same boat as you with Fafner (I watched 6 or 7 episodes of the original a while back, then stopped watching for some months, then came back to it a few weeks ago and I'm currently at episode 13 of Exodus) I say it's absolutely worth it.

The original Fafner picks up A LOT after episode 11 (there was a writer change) and it just gets better and better and better during the second half of the TV series, the OVA, movie and Exodus.
Exodus is amazing. The visuals, the action, the characters, the music, the concepts, the story, everything.

And I haven't even started the currently airing second season yet, where people are saying it gets even better.

I think I'll give it another try. Luckily Funi have put it up on their Youtube account and it's not blocked in the UK. Who knows if I like and finish it I might go back and finish other mecha shows I inexplicably stopped like Escaflowne or RahXephon.

Hagi, finish Hunter x Hunter. FINISH IT. I don't know how far you are, but make it to the end of the Heaven's Arena arc. If you still don't like it by then, you're probably a bad person.

I got to just after Gon goes to Killuas house to get him and Leorio and Kurapika leave to do their own thing for 6 months. I just found the series kind of boring to be honest and Gon tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom