• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

But there is only one land boy.

1 too many. He's trying to steal the cutie from the water. She already has a man, well, nothing "official" of course, but still...

I'll watch the rest some day, but something was annoying me about it all between the sister and all the forshadowing going on so early, that it was bothering me....

Theonik

Angel Beats: That New OVA Thing
juvmrm.png
About as shit as expected. I feel like I wasted 30 minutes of my time.

Mendrox

I saw online that many people recommend Angel Beats! So I watched the first 4 episodes and I think it is shit and I liked Charlottes first 4 episodes.

So does it get any better? Or is it really about the MC remembering everything, letting everyone cope with their death and somehow be there a plot twist that there are no fucking angels (like that Tenshi "Angel" girl said herself)?

If yes I will drop it immediately.

I saw online that many people recommend Angel Beats! So I watched the first 4 episodes and I think it is shit and I liked Charlottes first 4 episodes.

So does it get any better? Or is it really about the MC remembering everything, letting everyone cope with their death and somehow be there a plot twist that there are no fucking angels (like that Tenshi "Angel" girl said herself)?

Angel Beats is bad and no one who recommends it can be trusted.

Serious

Macross: they eliminated the robots, and added even more idols!

SDF: Idol/Pop Star/Whatever
Plus: Virtual Idol
7: 4 member band (two singers)
Frontier: Two competing idols
Delta: 5 member idol group

I don't think it's much of a stretch from what we've already had. It's not as if they tossed the entire 0048 cast in there, 5 people is completely manageable and most likely the last three will be less important than Mikumo and Freyja.

Cornbread78

Angel Beats is bad and no one who recommends it can be trusted.

Oh well. Angel Beats is one of my favs....

The bolded is what the show is all about. There is a lot of stuff going on along the way, but ultimately, that is the point of the show. I found it really interesting, but it does suffer from some typical Maeda flaws (that he was supossed to fis in Charlotte, but fell in the same trap)

Theonik

Angel Beats is in fact shit. Don't worry also you seem to have a good idea sprinkled in with some awkward attempt to interleave comedy in that shitpile.

phaze

Gundam Build Fighters 5-25 END

It was alright.* I feel like saying that undersells a bit, a what is a very competently put together show but the first 10 episodes, before they get to the World Tournament proper, were a slog that I managed to muddle my way through only on the third attempt. Additionally, the repetitive use of the Build Knuckle as the clincher to all the fights in the latter stages of the tournament was just weak and made the endings to those fights not feel very earned. Story wise, this show maybe isn't anything to write home about but it had an enjoyable cast of characters, some pretty funny comedic bits and outside of those moments - where the characters were lyrically waxing about how great playing Gunpla battle is, it never really got unbearable, which is more than I can say for the other entries of this franchise that I've watched. And after being exceedingly predictable, the ending managed to surprise me so bonus points for that. The animation front is where I think the show shines at its brightest. Here, I got exactly what I hoped for aka a lot of well executed action scenes so I came out fully satisfied. Pretty decent show all things considered, maybe there is an inkling of hope for the Gundam series yet still.

Cornbread78

Will there be an OT2 or do we just go straight to Winter seeing as many shows are wrapping up now?

Ask Ducky, because I think we have to create and OT2 once we hit the 200 page mark...

Also, even with only 2 weeks left, that could easily be 15-30 pages worth...

Gundam Build Fighters 5-25 END

I got exactly what I hoped for aka a lot of well executed action scenes so I came out fully satisfied. Pretty decent show all things considered, maybe there is an inkling of hope for the Gundam series yet still.

We all thought the same thing.

Then Gundam Build Fighters TRY showed up.

Glad you enjoyed it though. GBF is one of the most earnest and happy mecha shows out there.

We all thought the same thing.

Then Gundam Build Fighters TRY showed up.

Glad you enjoyed it though. GBF is one of the most earnest and happy mecha shows out there.

Don't forget, when I start watching this one you have to give IBO a try! Since this season is finished this week for me, I'll have both From the New World and Build Fighters to watch here and there until the Winter season begins in January.

Don't forget, when I start watching this one you have to give IBO a try! Since this season is finished this week for me, I'll have both From the New World and Build Fighters to watch here and there until the Winter season begins in January.

Yep, I should be starting IBO either later this week or early next week.

Yep, I should be starting IBO either later this week or early next week.

Good stuff. I already got internet (unlimited bandwidth woot) installed at the new place and once I'm done my exams I just gotta move my stuff over there, which hopefully won't take more than a day. I can even give you an exact date, December 22nd is when I'll most likely get to watching this. I'm stoked, I keep reading good impressions/reviews on the show.

how does one enter the world of ghost in the shell?

I see like 30 movies on amazon, some are remakes, some are updated versions of the old movies or something, a ton are region locked to not america

Are the movies like a follow up or whatever of a series that's out there on VHS somewhere or are they kind of the jumping in point?

What do

Cornbread78

I think they mean if the next thread once we hit 200 is gonna be OT2 or just the winter thread instead.

Got ya, I think we're going to clear those 8 pages in a few days. We could just start a waifu war, how great SAO is or talk about Shirobakka or something to clear those pages.

Szadek

I see like 30 movies on amazon, some are remakes, some are updated versions of the old movies or something, a ton are region locked to not america

Are the movies like a follow up or whatever of a series that's out there on VHS somewhere or are they kind of the jumping in point?

What do
You should either start with the orginal movie from 1995 and it's sequel Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence or with the anime series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, followed by the movie Solid State Society.

There is also the Arise sub series, but it's not as good. Watch it last or just skip it.

tuffy

Angel Beats! just gets stupider and stupider as it goes along until the ending flies off the rails into a big flaming pile of nonsense. I would've been better of just rewatching Haibane Renmei or something.

And Build Fighters Try's biggest faults are that its cast is too big and a lot of its fights look cheap a lot of the time (maybe the animators were busy with the G-Reco). Hopefully the OVA will be an improvement.

phaze

What do

I don't really have any experience with manga, so I'm going to skip that entirely. Basically as of now, in anime, there are pretty much three separate continuities of GitS:

- The Oshii movies aka Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Ghost in Shell: Innocence (2004)

-The TV series aka Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which has two seasons with ~24 episodes in both of them and a movie Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

- The newest entry, Ghost in the Shell: Arise which (and this is complicated,) started out as 5 separate 40 minute OVA's, that after a while got aired on TV (with a subtitle: Alternative Architecture) with an additional 40 minute arc and a weird shift in the airing order. (I think the last arc in the OVA's is the first one in AA) and that recently, got itself a movie Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie which continues and closes off some plot thread from Arise.

The Oshii movies, especially the first one seem to be the mostly highly rated.

Clov

The best way to get into GitS is definitely the Oshii films (the 1995 original and the follow-up, Innocence). The first film is easily the best of the series, and is one of my favorite anime films of all time. Innocence isn't as good, but is still absolutely worth the watch.

If you like those, make sure to watch Oshii's other works. Definitely one of the best anime directors of all time.

What do

Like others have stated either start by watching the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie or watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Both have similar premises but are two different continuities. Also check out the original manga later on if you're interested.

High School Star Musical Episode 11
tumblr_nzcw9tatZo1qbxqfpo1_540.png

Nayuki's confession was precious, loved it.

Good episode, third best song of the whole series
Otori and Hoshitani duet
, Haruto's song was nice too. He is such a good prince.

Noirulus

It's bad. How so many people love this anime will forever remain a mystery.

Also, the animation is downright terrible at times. I don't have the specific gifs/pictures saved but for a decently marketed anime some of the scenes are just unbelievably ugly.

Saudades

Just drop that shit and watch Haibane Renmei if you can. It's a way better version with somewhat a similar premise.

And Build Fighters Try's biggest faults are that its cast is too big and a lot of its fights look cheap a lot of the time (maybe the animators were busy with the G-Reco). Hopefully the OVA will be an improvement.
I think the biggest fault with Try for me is that it just doesn't know how to have fun like GBF did. There was a bright spot in that Niels' Lab arc when they finally have some fun (old characters returning helps too) but after that it's the same bs again.
And don't even get me started on the love triangle, oh my fucking god.

Russ T

Banned
It's amazing how much having a broken TV kills your desire to watch anime. ):

Yeah when I lived in Japan, it was crazy how often I saw it. Made me feel bad for 'em. ):

I always assumed it was because so many women wear high heels for everything. I saw women climbing Mt. Fuji in high heels... Though this article offers probably more accurate theories than my generated-on-the-moment-and-half-believed-to-this-day theory.

pbayne

What do

Everyone else has pretty much covered the watch order but just a warning avoid Ghost in the Shell 2.0. Looks garish compared to the original.

And even though the dub is superb, one of the best, the subs have the unaltered script to get the full experience.

Angel Beats gets better and better. Im surprised one could think the beginning was bad when it was probably the most tightest storytelling Ive seen. Every element of the story was introduced beautifully especially Otonashi and his meeting and accepting of the SSS and their ongoing dilemma with Angel, NPCs, and even their purpose in the afterlife.

I found the cast all awesome, Otonashi, Hinata, Noda, Naoi, Ooyama, Fujimaki, Matsushita the Fifth, Takeyama, and Yuri.

tuffy

I think the biggest fault with Try for me is that it just doesn't know how to have fun like GBF did. There was a bright spot in that Niels' Lab arc when they finally have some fun (old characters returning helps too) but after that it's the same bs again.
And don't even get me started on the love triangle, oh my fucking god.
I thought the Meijin/Yuuma impromptu Gunpla swap was a clever way to bring a character out of a funk and inject a little fun in the process. I didn't have any major problems with Try's cast on the whole, and it's hard to screw up a tournament fighting show too much. So I wouldn't rate it as a total disaster compared to the second seasons of some other Gundam shows, but it definitely felt like a step down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom