• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the curse of improv comedy I'd imagine. The early to mid start of Rick and Morty is strong but the last ones weren't at the caliber of the early episodes. The first season had some weak episodes as well like the Jurassic park one.

WOW

You had a problem with pirates of the pancreas? It's that what you want to say? HUH?!

I'm sure if this is the right place to ask buuuuut...

with the recent announcement (like super recent) of Hunter x Hunter getting a BR release...what are the chances of it being region free etc? I have no idea what the precedent is with Viz Media on that front.

Andrew J.

Testament Burst 01

toolewdabandonthread.gif

Heavy Object 02

Even if there's no treaty governing the specific situation of what happens when an Object is destroyed, firing on troops who are tendering a surrender is still a goddamned war crime. Not to mention the enemy could have used the base's maintenance infrastructure for itself.

I would say the second season of Rick and Morty was weaker than the first.

Mainly because the second season gradually focused less on the dark sci-fi elements that I loved in the first.

Case in point, the best episode of season 2 was A Rickle in Time.

I would say the second season of Rick and Morty was weaker than the first.

Mainly because the second season gradually focused less on the dark sci-fi elements that I loved in the first.

Case in point, the best episode of season 2 was A Rickle in Time.

See I'm of the opposite mind. I feel season 2 has been stronger as a whole. Season 1 had some great stand-out episodes like the one with the eye patch morty but season 2 has gotten pretty fucking dark

It's a similar situation as with Bojack Horseman. Many might feel S2 was weaker because it had less frequent intense 'shit got real' episodes. But the comedy was stronger and the few episodes dealing with depressing reality were fucking amazing.

Seraph of the End S2 - 01

Yuu's maturing in certain aspects, after the ending events of the last season, seems to still be in effect, which is an improvement. I hope he doesn't fall back into what he used to be.
Feels good to have smug Shinoa back, I missed her antics. While it may not be the most friendly ways of dealing with things, I do find entertainment in how the Hiragi family operates.
Backgrounds are still going strong, even though most of the episode took place inside dull rooms.

Background Image Dump

QWewflp.jpg
YWewoJP.jpg

Hyouka 13

I really loved the animation in the end scene where Mayaka was looking for the book. Watching everyday things such as shuffling through a dozen books at once, looking at the top shelf then kneeling to see the bottom one, etc. animated well is such a joy.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight 2

Kind of dumb episode at times,
Onii-sama kissing his imouto was a bit, wow, and the ending scene in the bath with Ikki and the other girl was kind of silly a bit too much, but at least we had Ikki upper body and bath scene so I was pleased

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also powerpuff girls.

Actually I don't think it's the first time they gave PPG a shoutout. Someone at SHAFT really likes PPG.

Yeah it happened in Nekomonogatari (Shiro).

Qurupeke

Owarimonogatari 2

Sodachi seems pretty crazy. She likes mathematics after all, so expected. Senjougahara's punch was really satisfying though. I really like it when she starts going back to her old self. Anyway, not really fond of how the show is going right now. It's like we don't have a ton of mysteries already and we need more... At least this Sodachi story seems to be a good opportunity to see more of Ougi and her interactions with Araragi.

Splatoon x Monty Hall show

That's a hell of a reference crossover, Shaft

Haha, I'm happy that I'm not the only one that noticed that. Seems so random.

jbug617

Banned
I'm sure if this is the right place to ask buuuuut...

with the recent announcement (like super recent) of Hunter x Hunter getting a BR release...what are the chances of it being region free etc? I have no idea what the precedent is with Viz Media on that front.

Just checked the Sailor Moon bluray and it only has Region A on the box.

-Horizon-

lol Ougi dropping that hint that
it feels like she was only born recently

Oikura is interesting though,
what kind of past does she have with Araragi in that house
?

Defuser

Seraph of the End S2 Episode 1
Oh hey, the return of a trash show by WIT. At least troll Shinoa is the only redeeeming thing.

Also that Okitegami teasing in Monogatari is reaching critical mass - that one commercial was even credited as being storyboarded by Shinbo.

If it doesn't end in an anime adaptation by Shaft at some point then I'm more than disappointed in all people involved.

See I'm of the opposite mind. I feel season 2 has been stronger as a whole. Season 1 had some great stand-out episodes like the one with the eye patch morty but season 2 has gotten pretty fucking dark

It's a similar situation as with Bojack Horseman. Many might feel S2 was weaker because it had less frequent intense 'shit got real' episodes. But the comedy was stronger and the few episodes dealing with depressing reality were fucking amazing.

I did watch all of season one in marathon, and when you marathon things, I think you tend to notice issues less. The episode that dealt with depression were great.

Now, I haven't really checked out any trash this season so far....

The Asterisk War 1

Okay, woah, that is a straight up lightsaber noise. Can you just put those in your show? Does George Lucas need to know about this?

The show does have some nice production values so far though....Save for the terrible looking background people. Jesus.

Yeah, okay. I might keep up with this.

blurr

Owarimonogatari 02

Sodachi was interesting, I like her voice over as well. Oh my god that entire classroom scene will go down in history.

Very good episode.

Owarimonogatari 2
Well this was about a hundred times more interesting than the first episode. The pacing was less turgid, the conflict more engaging, and the visual storytelling better.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 2:

Yes, yes, I rather liked how this episode played out and this could be the hidden gem of the season.

Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1

Fucking Shinbo man, I could recognize him from a mile away. It's all here: two scenes of twisted necks, the camera at rotated angles, the fast switch between close ups usually in a weird position and more general shots for conversations, extreme wide angle shots, slow travelling camera, camera situated between two objects on the front focusing on a scene in the background, etc.

The story is nothing to write home about, so I think they amped up the gimmick department in the direction to give a creepy and mysterious feeling and compensate the lacking plot, in addition there is too a confusing narrative (though it has two exposition scenes to clue in the viewer).

Visually, it has aged a bit, I think it's one of those first digitally done animes, that don't look as good as current works nor as good as the classical anime with traditional cels and cameras.

John Blade

I will keep this impression short as they isn't much for me to say. Blue Seed is an okay show. It isn't the worst show I have watch in animated category but it isn't the greatest I have watch as of now. It's kinda in the middle. It have enough stuff to make the show entertainment to watch but they're quite a bit of things in the show that drag on a bit too long which make it harder to keep on watching the show. I won't be surprise if people stop watching along the way because of this issue.

The story line have a deep Japanese legends which is kind of interesting. I won't go into it too much as it will spoiled quite a bit of what will happened in the show but here is the main idea. They is two force is happened in the show. On one side you're following the main female character, Momiji, and the government agency, TAC, who main purpose to protect Japan from danger of this aliens force call Aragami. On the other side, the forces from Aragami are trying to destroy Japan for their crime with mother nature and trying to recreate a new Japan where only them self will be the victor while the human race will fall and turn into plant life. In the middle you have Kusanagi who is in charge to safe Momiji life while at the same time fight against the Aragami force even though he is the same breed as Aragami (basically, an alien siding to the human side).

They're more things happened in the show which is also important like Momiji have actually a twin sister name Kaede who both of them are actually a descendant of woman who need to sacrifice to safe the life of Japan. Unfortunately, Kaede die in the 1st few minutes in the 1st episode but she will become an important person if you keep watching the show.

Like I say, the story is not bad and actually interesting but it got stumbled a bit at the beginning when they first use monster of the week style episode. You notice this in the 1st half of the show which is a hit or miss depend on the audience. They is some plot development during the 1st half but this change quite a bit in the later half where the plot of the story start to move and you start to understanding of what is happening in the show. I guess you need to stick with the show quite a bit to get to the juicer part.

As for character development, most of the development is coming down to Momiji and Kusanagi. For Momiji, she act as someone who don't settle as a damsel in distress but as someone who want to be out there fighting and doing her part to help her friends in the TAC and Kusanagi. For Kusanagi, he is an interesting character as he have feeling toward both Momiji and Kaede. Even with the feeling with Kaede, he eventually stick his love with Momiji once he realize how special she was to him.
For the rest of the side characters in the show, they have the basic character development and some of them have a backstory which help fresh out a bit. Even with this, they're not too interesting to look into.

For the animation wise, it look a bit dated like it have this late 80s look then when it was release. This get a bit better as the show process and eventually look okay at the end. Not really a downer for me to tell the truth.

The music of the show is okay and work well in the show. It didn't catch my attention too much to tell the truth and this is weird for me as the composer is Kenji Kawaii which is someone I like to listen to his music. Might not be his best score when I listen to.

Overall, Blue Seed is a okay anime to look into mostly because of the interesting supernatural elements and story line. The shortcomings from the show is something you need to bear with for the 1st half but once you get through, it will get better and interesting.

Ascheroth

Chivalry - 02

Count me back in camp Asterisk.
This episode was dumb most of the time and especially the first half was just painful to watch. The bath scene at the end was also a bit much. I like that Stella isn't a generic tsundere, but this was just overly lewd.

Asterisk also happens to have the better opening and ending songs.

Phatmac

That was a great episode that better paced the story when compared to last episode. Sodachi seems interesting as she has a valid reason for hating Araragi as it seems he's forgotten most of his early childhood. I'm guessing he forgot something important about Sodachi that is the reason for her hatred of the happy go lucky attitude Araragi displays. I lost my shit when best crab showed up like a boss and knocked her out for harming her boyfriend. The op was amazing visually. It reminded me of a Bond style opening. Anyone notice the splatoon reference?

jman2050

Owari 2

Despite everything that's happened, Senjougahara is still the best there ever was.

The mention of the Monty Hall problem seems pretty arbitrary right now, but we'll see what happens given this whole math motif.

phaze

Sure am interested in those impressions. As far as I can tell, your thoughts align with mine somewhat closely when I was that point.

Since your experience with Eureka 7 reminded me of my own gruelling journey through Monster, I sure hope our thoughts will diverge quickly. lol

But having gone through the next few episodes, it doesn't seem very likely...

Noragami Aragato 02

Good episode and a refreshingly lively and quick set up of what I assume will be the main plot thread in this season. My blood run cold when it seemed like I was in for another dose of Yukine angst but it seems my fears were unfounded. But yeah, it does seem like they're completely ignoring their filler arc. As it is, the fear of Hiyori losing her memories feels like a retread of what the protagonists already went through. A few words acknowledging the whole Rabo affair would have made the show a bit more coherent.

Kagewani 02
Was alright, much better than the premiere.

Owarimonogatari 2

Loved it! Okiura was intense, the atmosphere in the classroom scene was downright chilling, accompanied by the great visuals. I felt that recent outings of the Monogatari franchise have gotten a bit messy and random in the visual department but this episode was great.
The second half was also good, the Ougi/Araragi interactions are growing on me.

Also, as someone who is currently working on his mathematics Phd I feel personally invested in the story ;)

Owarimonogatari 02

Nobody shit talks and puts their hands on Senjougahara's man and gets away with it. Amusing how in that scene Ararararararagi knew just to shut the fuck up and observe.

Also, gotta say. Why the fuck would you go to an abandoned anything with Ougi is beyond me. I me look at this girl!

jman2050

I lost my shit when Senjougahara straight cold cocked her. Araragi telling Ougi things he shouldn't without knowing it further makes me think she can manipulate memory.

The fact that she's literally "reminding" him of stuff that supposedlydefinitely happened that he's forgotten about and he just accepts it so readily is causing too many alarms in my head to count

Phatmac

only real reason I'm watching this is because of Kuon and how cute she is. Everything else was okay but man Kuon is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom