• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Right, thanks. Is it recommended to watch release order ala Star Wars or is chronological better?

Cheers, I've heard good - and hopefully not sarcastic - things about the series.

No sarcasm at all. Just be aware that it is crazy, full of fanservice and very dialog/text heavy, but sooo worth it if you stick to it and watch through everything.

Enjoy the ride.

What? The worldbuilding is one of the best aspects of the show. They spend a lot of time going over stuff like trapar and other components.

My only complaint is that they took sooo long to explain everything that is going on. You watch the first almost 15-20 episodes and follow along, but there are still a bunch of holes in what is going on until you really start to get to the heart of the story from about episode 25-38. I still have the last 11 episodes to go, but I finally have a grip of what the deal is. It's a good ride watching the cast grow emotionally right in front of you. I mean Renton is still a little whiny until after the
Charles and Rei
arc, but after that you can really see his growth alongside Eureka. She is going through that same growth as she learns what emotions actually are. It's good stuff and I can't wait to finish; it's just been a really busy week...

After rewatching some of the 2004 anime version of Black Jack it made me appreciate the series even more than I aready do. The way the series doesn't mainly revolve around surgeries but around the moral dilemmas Black Jack faces makes the series such a treat to watch. Some of the stories in the series really pull at your heartstrings. That story revolving around Kong and his little sister really touched me.

Now I really want a updated version of the original Black Jack manga by Osamu Tezuka animated. The 2004 version while good has aged a bit, so having a newly animated version would be great. A man can dream can't he huh.

Fafner: Exodus S2 02

kcLoPgr.jpg

I can only feel some mixture of rage and despair at the moment. I probably should have saved this for after watching all of the other new episodes today because I'm just sitting here seething in my anger. I can't even be happy that
Misao
might return.

After rewatching some of the 2004 anime version of Black Jack it made me appreciate the series even more than I aready do. The way the series doesn't mainly revolve around surgeries but around the moral dilemmas Black Jack faces makes the series such a treat to watch. Some of the stories in the series really pull at your heartstrings. That story revolving around Kong and his little sister really touched me.

Now I really want a updated version of the original Black Jack manga by Osamu Tezuka animated. The 2004 version while good has aged a bit, so having a newly animated version would be great. A man can dream can't he huh.

One of my favourite episodes has got to be the one about the hospital hijacking.

It's got like, everything I love about the show condensed into one episode. Black Jack being a badass, the way he thinks ahead, the
sorrow and remorse you can feel from the leader of the hijackers when he realizes he was wrong about doctors and his regret that he didn't meet Black Jack sooner,
oh man that show was so good.

Futurecard Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 27
CQ649oOWwAA6rJr.png

As a Noboru fan this was a great episode. Instead of doing like usual, he used a fantastic deck that is perfect for his new style. I hope for an eventually Noboru v Gao duel.
and these Final Phases at 6 life now, I cant see how he can avoid that

Fafner Exodus Second Season Episode 15

Screw you human army and that smiling laughing festum. This continues to be one of the post apocalyptic worlds where no one ought to be wanting to live in. I kind of can see why the people would seek ways out of life than try to continue on their "exodus" of sorts. I also dont think that this will conclude the Fafner story though. They still have festum to deal with and then the human army still.

That was actually a really good fight up there in the sky though. Kind of wished it lasted longer especially the part when the festum wrapped itself up in the cloud. The Human Army attack did give some cool moments with them having to fight the Festum but then to also have to dodge human fire as well.

sonicmj1

Kekkai Sensen 12

I see why this episode was double-length. I have no idea how they planned on ending this in a single episode.

This episode basically reflects the strengths and weaknesses of the show as a whole. The pacing lurches between over the top events without much rhyme or reason, particularly in the second quarter of the episode with Hellsalem's Lot in chaos. The direction has its moments of invention, but (particularly here) the geometry of everything gets completely muddled. A lot of characters are around to lend a hand much in the way that Cloud's old party does in Advent Children, but most of them really don't need to be there. And even with the episode's lengthy production cycle, they clearly finished it quite a while ago, because it looks rough at times.

6PjaUXQ.jpg
WWHhc3c.jpg

Lookin' kinda awesome there, guys.

This finale only really comes together in its final confrontation, when all the cast bloat falls away and it centers on Leo, Black, and White. On the nose though it may be, this feels like a time where Leo really comes into his own, finding a reason to move forward and overcome the insecurities he struggled with at the start of the show. White and Black's ultimate fate feels fitting, and worth the time spent on them.

jYUp24R.jpg

Leo's reaction here caught me off guard, and actually made me tear up a bit. It felt very genuine.

I kind of wish the show weren't such a mess in general, and this episode makes those flaws all the clearer. That said, I really appreciate the mood they were going for with Kekkai Sensen. At its best, it had a great sense of comic unpredictability, everything larger than life, everyone part of this crazy party always on the verge of spiraling out of control. Weirdly, the show's episodic format didn't always allow it to have that kind of fun.

Well, so much for missed potential.

Watching people's reactions to Fafner is always interesting, because Fafner is one of those rare shows that will just kill off likable nice characters in brutal ways.

And the people in the show don't play it up for drama either. People seem to accept death pretty easy in the Fafner world.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 146
Basically, Kotatsu-neko buys a kotatsu(named Kotaru) made from wood from the last tree from the South Pole, and this particular kotatsu doesn't like the heat, it mocks everyone and goes around freezing all kotatsu. An angry mob goes after Kotaru and the only way to stop him is with a female kotatsu(Kotatsu no Omatsu), when Omatsu arrives the two of them form a rainbow and fly off into the sky...then to infinity and beyond!
But the best part was Ataru calling Mendou over, Ataru screams "MENDOU NO BAKAYAROU", making Shuutaro come instantly(0.1 seconds if Jariten is to be believed) to attack him.
I expected more from Kotatsu-neko, next episode going to focus on one of my favorites, Ryuunosuke's father, umi ga suki.

One of my favourite episodes has got to be the one about the hospital hijacking.

It's got like, everything I love about the show condensed into one episode. Black Jack being a badass, the way he thinks ahead, the
sorrow and remorse you can feel from the leader of the hijackers when he realizes he was wrong about doctors and his regret that he didn't meet Black Jack sooner,
oh man that show was so good.

Definitely a great series.

Catching up on Hyouka after I abandoned it when it was airing.

Hyouka 12

I liked the first OP and ED better but the second ED is pretty nice too.

The Kanya Fest has begun. The dance sequence was awesome and man all that fan service with Chitanda. Cheerleader outfit is definitely the best one.

My God I love KyoAni so damn much.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 147

Damn, when did Ryuunosuke's father transformed into Ataru? Asking any girl to become his new wife, I like it more when he goes around creating waves and yelling umi ga suki, than when he's doing his bait and switch.
It was funny, when Sakura-sensei asked if Ryuu-chan had ever been in love, and when she asnwer she knows what love is, Lum and Shinobu(They looked like they were really looking down on Ryuunosuke) clap because she knows that, and she says who was her first love and all her other loves,
all girls
I guess I learned a little more about Ryuunosuke's mother...

Any good romance anime this season?

I guess I'll be the only one to expand on the jokes:

We have plenty of the typical light novel crap that we see each season. Two of them are about magical school about fighting where MC is damn good. Having read a few chapters of the manga of one of those two there's at least a decent amount of shit LN-type romance in one of them so if that's what you like then no worries there is.

As to romance that isn't low hanging fruit there isn't much.

The good news is that from what we've seen so far of many of the big fish this season is that they seem to have romance as a B-plot for the show.

Heavy Object
Concrete Revolutio
Perfect Insider
the one that isn't Gurren Lagann

All seem that they'll at least have some romance in them. So if that's fine with you then hey it isn't all bad.

Romance is probably the last thing I watch anime for to be frank.

Not to say there are no genuinely good romances in anime, but boy are they few and far between to me.

I mean, there's Eureka Seven, and Spice and Wolf. Chobits is pretty good.

And that's the list I can think of, off the top of my head right now.

Romance is probably the last thing I watch anime for to be frank.

Not to say there are no genuinely good romances in anime, but boy are they few and far between to me.

I mean, there's Eureka Seven, and Spice and Wolf. Chobits is pretty good.

And that's the list I can think of, off the top of my head right now.

They are few and far in between but if you aren't looking then that's largely why.

They are few and far in between but if you aren't looking then that's largely why.

It's true that I don't really look.

But that's mainly because love in anime typically revolves around people who are teenagers.

Have you look at a teenager lately? I think the only thing they're capable of loving is their phones.

It's true that I don't really look.

But that's mainly because love in anime typically revolves around people who are teenagers.

Have you look at a teenager lately? I think the only thing they're capable of loving is their phones.

I'm not gonna disagree that I'm tired of high school love stories but I'll take my cheesy romance where I can get it.

And as to teenagers yes I have. They also love to netflix and chill

Young Black Jack 2
I must say, I wasn't expecting this to turn into
Face/Off,
but boy was it funny.

The show is really good at getting people to take theirs shirts off.

Feltrol

Banned
Hahahahahaha. You're funny.

Not a goddamn thing so far; sucks..

Would you settle for 3 shitty light novel adaptations?

Disappointing...

The good news is that from what we've seen so far of many of the big fish this season is that they seem to have romance as a B-plot for the show.

All seem that they'll at least have some romance in them. So if that's fine with you then hey it isn't all bad.

Better than nothing. Hoping next season we get something a lot better.

Young Black Jack 02

Well, Black Jack's shirt was off for over half the episode, along with four other dudes so that was an improvement. The twist while nonsensical (nobody was watching this surgery? Really?) was semi cool. However, even worse then episode one, they skip the entire surgery. Sigh.

Still thoroughly mediocre.

Phatmac

I don't need to watch the second season of Psycho Pass to watch the movie right? I've heard the second season is pointless and I like the end of the first season to not ruin it.

I don't need to watch the second season of Psycho Pass to watch the movie right? I've heard the second season is pointless and I like the end of the first season to not ruin it.

You don't. There is one character from s2 who has minor scenes in the movie and she is by far the worst character in the series.

Narag

Kagewani 2
Great stuff. If the director did something live action horror, I'd probably watch it based on the trust he's built between this and Yamishibai. I do wonder if this little nod was meant as intentional foreshadowing for the cryptid origins.

Lupin III Part 2 - 6
First miss, I'd say. The first ep was close but had that let over first season charm to it. This one didn't really work well in the runtime a tv ep typically has so things just sort of happened.

Mushishi 15
Absolutely love these low key stories where it's nebulous as to whether the Mushi disrupt the natural order of things or are simply just a part of it.

A Trojan cake.

I like it.

What I especially find hilarious about this whole thing is that the bakers said the militia would be delivering the pedestal they hid in, and yet nobody thought to maybe look inside it (or at least give it an inspection) just in case.

Because the majority of the Earth militia in this show is so gung ho that they think zerg rushing giant robots ten times their size with nothing but machine guns will somehow lead to victory.

Young Black Jack 2

img

Hazama has a Stand.

Yep Young Black Jack anime is definitely following the footsteps of the 2004 TV version of Black Jack. Rather than revolving mainly on the surgery it's mostly focusing on the moral dilemmas Hazama faces. Unlike the OVA series which was more gritty, YBJ probably won't follow that route.

I can see people either hating this or liking this direction. I personally enjoy the 2004 TV version on how it wasn't really focusing on the surgery but rather Hazama facing challenges, medical drama, and moral dilemmas.

Anyway I didn't expect that twist at the end. However, compared to the other accomplishments Hazama has done in the original Black Jack it was pretty tame. I enjoyed how Hazama faced a moral dilemma which would of ended his career as a Doctor and how he could of been a murderer. Good episode.

Garo: Crimson Moon Episode 1

As some of you probably know, I'm a big fan of the first season of Garo. I thought it was freaking amazing. The first season grabbed me in its big beefy arms, and lifted me into a passionate lewd embrace. (Funimation should put that on the back of box when they release it.)

And while I have some reservations of this new season, it's still pretty solid. It does however feel more than a bit safer than the original series. The original series opening episode probably raised some eyebrows with how casually it mixed violence and sex. This one however sets itself in a much more predictable time and setting, and tones down the violence more than a bit.

It does however continue the first seasons trend of having some awesome looking female characters that are powerful yet still have an air of sexuality about them.

download.png

The quality of her character design is somewhat missing in the others however. I might get used to it, but there's no escaping the feeling that the main character's hair looks like it has a crab in it. It's wrong to judge the quality of animation of a series off one episode. (That's what idiots are doing with DB Super.) It does however feels like the second season of Garo might not reach the highs of last season based on the more reserved use of animation in this episode.

Still, looking forward to episode 2. Glad Garo is back.

Cornbread78

Disappointing...

Better than nothing. Hoping next season we get something a lot better.

Shirayuki-hime will be back in Jan., so that's already a huge improvement. I hope there'ssomething coming in the winter as well, or if one of these fall shows somehow surprises us with some flashes sonewhere because of what Woofy says below...

I'm not gonna disagree that I'm tired of high school love stories but I'll take my cheesy romance where I can get it.

Yup, they just don't make Spice and Wolf, Nodame Cantabile and Clannad anymore, so we just take what we can get and run with it.

Diabolik Lovers
If you're into that.

Goodness, he said romance, not woman abysmal fetish shit..

Quasar

Guess we need someone new to come and animate some josei again. Noitamina seems to have given up on that. Not that I could instantly name a josei book they should do.

Heavy Object 2

We're still...seriously calling our giant city destroying mecha Baby Magnum?

Really?

I feel like Heavy Object has some potential. Bad music aside, this episode was reasonably improved from episode 1. That said, it's kinda hard to care about the people dying when we don't really have a good grasp on who they are. Who really are these people? Who are they fighting?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Heavy object 1-2
It's ok. Not the most offensive LN adaptation for this season... at least when compared to Lance&masque, Chivalry knight, Asterisk war, and Shomin sample. At least this one is not in school setting.
Can't believe that blue blood chasing a deer with a rifle in his hand.
student dude need to shut up about boobs.

Qurupeke

Noragami Aragoto 2

So, Nora is behind this too. And Yukine just can't have a friend. Pretty nice episode overall. It's kind of weird that Bisamon is so depressed and sick this season, compared to her self in S1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom