• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Shirobako - 1
Figured I should try and watch some more of the bigger shows that aired this week before I put my vote in.

I'll give it a few episodes. I kind of wish everyone wasn't so disgustingly cute, but an anime about making anime might maybe be good? First episode didn't leave me with a strong impression but I'll give it one or two more, at least.

It's crazy that KyoAni went to so much trouble - they must have spent ages getting visual reference material, learning about how brass/wind instruments and bands as a whole work, and getting the appropriate music for each situation made, including the lower quality performances to reflect lower quality performers. (I assume they worked with actual students? I wonder if the Japanese BDs have useful behind-the-scenes material.)

They worked with Senzoku Gakuen College of Music AFAIK.

duckroll

In a way, I think it's actually closer to the less known (and older than Watchmen) original Squadron Supreme mini-series, even if it's just coincidence and the writer likely has never heard about that series. In that mini-series, we got Marvel's take on DC's various characters and their attempt at improving their world, after a crisis that led to people looking at super humans with suspicion, only to lead to unintended consequences and a division breaking between them.

The characters in Concrete Revolutio, although having twists, are generally still fairly close to the source material being homaged, with many different origins and powers, while Watchmen attempted to homogenize everything and ground the setting, by making it so no one had real powers aside from Dr.Manhattan, who was the singular miracle (well, aside from the random people with psychic powers). Concrete Revolutio isn't trying to ground and portray the characters themselves as realistic, even if they inhabit a gray world. I think the anime-ish designs actually play well into that aspect too.

On the other hand, the Watchmen comparison does work with the actual core storytelling, the non-linear narrative, and also the alternate history aspect, which add an extra dimension to the series' events. After the first couple of episodes those elements have integrated well into the storytelling too and added to the show, even before the pay off with the main story.

I will be very, very surprised if Aikawa has -not- heard of Squadron Supreme. Watchmen is not the only cited inspiration for the show, and he is a very well read fellow. My point wasn't so much about how similar the show is to Watchmen's specifics but rather the thematic elements and structure which he talked about before. After the show was formally announced, he went on to expand on the influences for the project - citing stuff like Marvels, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Wildcards, Dark Knight Returns, etc. The point he was always trying to make was that the west has had a history of experimenting with such stories where their superhero pop culture legacy is injected into a more realistic world setting to explore the consequences. What he wanted to do was to bring that concept into a Japanese setting, using Japan's superhero cultural legacy.

I think the end result we've seen really shows how passionate he was about this project on a personal level.

No there's a new one where he goes back in time to change the future. I can't think of it's name, but it's LN based.

Are you thinking of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi? That TV show will start airing soon, but it's based on a manga, not an LN, and while it involves the director and composer of the Sword Art Online anime, neither the original nor the anime writer of SAO is involved.

Cornbread78

.... That is not by the SAO writer.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31043/Boku_dake_ga_Inai_Machi

Edit: Here's a PV btw to answer your original question. There are more though.

Looks fun!

Are you thinking of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi? That TV show will start airing soon, but it's based on a manga, not an LN, and while it involves the director and composer of the Sword Art Online anime, neither the original nor the anime writer of SAO is involved.

Lol, I knew it had something to do with SAO staff, lol.

Thank you.

It seems A-1 SAO staff goes to Boku Dake while Shigatsu staff goes to Grimgar in winter 2016.

Btw from the report of Grimgar first 2 episodes early screening at few days ago, Grimgar episode 2 seems already gonna done by one animator, wonder how will it looks.

Jex

So, now that the first half of Concrete Revolutio has ended and the faithful have all watched it, let's talk about the Watchmen comparison when Aikawa first talked about the project under the title "Chojin Genso" (translated by FUNi as Superhuman Phantasmagoria).

He said that he was working on an interesting project about alternate history and the role of superheroes in a contemporary setting, similar to Watchmen, but with Japanese heroes instead. This resulted in some people expected a more adult sort of show with classier designs, and some backlash when the show looked super duper "anime" when it was unveiled.

Now that we've gotten a whole season though, what's the verdict? I think he nailed it and delivered what he promised. The ensemble cast, the morally grey world contrasted with characters who were determined to hold on to black and white concepts of good and evil, the celebration and commentary on history and society via alternate history, tons of pulp and retro scifi concepts, the non-linear narrative. He pretty much wrote what he said he was writing. What say you?
I mean that is all technically correct. I don't think I'd argue against anything you've said. However, the problem with the show is that it's all very surface level. Themes are brought to light, sometimes multiple times over the series, but we never really get the time to explore them in an interesting way. Instead, the series just goes for sheer volume of content. It's like a comic book crossover of dozens of individual shows into one - which inevitably means you can't spend that much time on any one particular thing. This is especially true if you have a chronologically fractures narrative based around revealing crazier and crazier twists.

Compare and contrast with say, Gatchaman Crowds: Insight. Insight, despite featuring a somewhat messy and unfcoused story, nevertheless focused quite clearly on one concept - namely the danger of group think. While it wasn't as tight as it should have been it was nevertheless fairly successful in exploring this one concept relatively well.

It seems A-1 SAO staff goes to Boku Dake while Shigatsu staff goes to Grimgar in winter 2016.

Btw from the report of Grimgar first 2 episodes early screening at few days ago, Grimgar episode 2 seems already gonna done by one animator, wonder how will it looks.

Grimgar isn't really Shigatsu staff, but the same bunch of people Ryosuke Nakamura brings around to all his projects, from his Madhouse days to Nerawareta Gakuen at Sunrise to Aiura at Liden and now Grimgar at A-1.

BluWacky

Yurikuma Arashi 5-12 (end)

This is my least favourite of Ikuni's shows, although it contains so many brief flashes of excellence that it's hard to qualify.

Where Penguindrum buckled under the weight of its own plotting, it's almost the reverse here. Many things which are presented as "twists" in this show were immediately guessable from the first episode; while the lack of convolution is a good thing given the tightness of the show's run (I can't believe there was a recap episode!), it's undeniable that the show could do with a bit of breathing space - heaven forbid, a Nanami episode, or some wandering around looking at pants...

From episode 4 onwards the show really is on the right rails; I still have no idea what the stuff with all the honey and the licking was for in the first three episodes, as the show never references it again in any of the Court sequences. While the allegory the show is going for is obvious and never really developed thematically beyond its earliest portrayals at the start of the show, it does have the required payoff in the final episode so I can't be too churlish.

I think my favourite episode of the run is 8, "Bride-in-a-box". It's the most Utena-esque of them all visually - Shingo Kaneko employs his bag of Ikuni tricks in the episode - and the "box" theme lends itself well to my favourite kind of heavy handed thematic writing, as well as essentially developing a character in their entirety in one 22 minute slot.

I haven't watched anything else this year except shorts, so it's hard for me to say if it would end up being my favourite series this year. I don't think so; it's left me a little dissatisfied. I undoubtedly had high expectations and for a variety of reasons I don't feel the show met them, and I can't decide whether or not it's good enough in its own right to outweigh that.

I already knew you hated Nichijou, but you hate Hyouka too? I'm biased towards Euphonium's subject matter, but as of now I'd still say Hyouka is the superior show. Though once you're dealing with series at this high a level, it's small nuances that make the difference.

I said 2nd, Hyouka was the first. I voted Hyouka anime of the year. As much as I like Euphonium, I'd agree that Hyouka is the better show.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Counting the votes so far I see Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid is leading the pack. Sometimes GAF surprises me but I'll be honest I'm not that surprised in this instance.

Jarmel

Banned

Defuser

Who knows, maybe that show where some small harpy girl lays an egg gets up there.

Hey now Monster Musume has been on New York Times best sellers for years! It's cool along with Naruto, DragonBall, Bleach, Attack Titan,One Punch Man because I find it cool not like those trash shows called anime!

Jex

Yurikuma Arashi 5-12 (end)

This is my least favourite of Ikuni's shows, although it contains so many brief flashes of excellence that it's hard to qualify.

Where Penguindrum buckled under the weight of its own plotting, it's almost the reverse here. Many things which are presented as "twists" in this show were immediately guessable from the first episode; while the lack of convolution is a good thing given the tightness of the show's run (I can't believe there was a recap episode!), it's undeniable that the show could do with a bit of breathing space - heaven forbid, a Nanami episode, or some wandering around looking at pants...

From episode 4 onwards the show really is on the right rails; I still have no idea what the stuff with all the honey and the licking was for in the first three episodes, as the show never references it again in any of the Court sequences. While the allegory the show is going for is obvious and never really developed thematically beyond its earliest portrayals at the start of the show, it does have the required payoff in the final episode so I can't be too churlish.

I think my favourite episode of the run is 8, "Bride-in-a-box". It's the most Utena-esque of them all visually - Shingo Kaneko employs his bag of Ikuni tricks in the episode - and the "box" theme lends itself well to my favourite kind of heavy handed thematic writing, as well as essentially developing a character in their entirety in one 22 minute slot.

I haven't watched anything else this year except shorts, so it's hard for me to say if it would end up being my favourite series this year. I don't think so; it's left me a little dissatisfied. I undoubtedly had high expectations and for a variety of reasons I don't feel the show met them, and I can't decide whether or not it's good enough in its own right to outweigh that.
It feels almost cliche to reiterate that Yurikuma Arashi should have had twice as many episodes to fully explore its central themes and develop its characters and plot in a more understandable manner. As a viewer I couldn't help feeling like I was missing half the show.

Crocodile

Over my dead body.

Watch Prison School, its a good show (tm)

Well, we'll see if OPM has staying power. If you look at Parasyte, the number of people voting for it has dropped significantly. For me, I liked OPM before so the anime is just the cherry on top.

Attack on Titan S2 should be interesting though

You mean for a OPM season 2 (that won't show up for at least 18 months)? I mean Parasyte stretched over two years and it kind of got worse as the show went on. It's not surprising fewer people would vote for it in 2015 than 2014.

I don't think OPM deserves AotY. Not by a long shot. Seeing all the, "I just watched OPM" feels like salt in the wound. Not that I'm taking it too seriously, but if OPM wins it'll be enough to irritate me for a second.

OPM just doesn't mean anything. It's a fun show with amazing visuals, which is fine, but when you compare it to Shirobako, Oregairu, or any of the other big contenders for AotY it just seems out of place.

You don't get to decide for others what metrics they get to use to vote for their favorite shows. People look for different things in different shows. I would say GAF AOTY isn't the Oscars but even then the Oscars are kind of a joke given the make up of the voting board, how few shits they give about any sort of animation, etc. All these lists/awards are biased in some way or the other.

For people that aren't taking it seriously because it totally doesn't matter and you don't care about it at all you sure are spending a lot of time complaining about it and trying to limit people from voting in it.

That delicious irony <3

Why? It's the kind of show that would appeal to people who watch 1-2 shows a year so of course people will one and done vote it. It just so happens that the show is actually good this time and will probably win anyway.

Yeah, people should really be grateful that "that one show per year" which appeals to non/lapsed fans has as many positive attributes as OPM has relative to AoT or KLK

Drifters PV

http://youtu.be/d4DcCVIPJJ0

Yeah I'm gonna watch this.

This looks like a whole lot of nothing. Meh

Shirobako - 1
Figured I should try and watch some more of the bigger shows that aired this week before I put my vote in.

I'll give it a few episodes. I kind of wish everyone wasn't so disgustingly cute, but an anime about making anime might maybe be good? First episode didn't leave me with a strong impression but I'll give it one or two more, at least.

The show gets better as it goes on. Stick with it.

I'm having trouble deciding what to watch next so I'll just see what Narag put me down for the backlog list next year. I think he's surprised I actually finished all of Gintama so I half expect him to put me down for something even more ridiculous

Defuser

I'm having trouble deciding what to watch next so I'll just see what Narag put me down for the backlog list next year. I think he's surprised I actually finished all of Gintama so I half expect him to put me down for something even more ridiculous

Well what genre do you feel like watching?

Crocodile

What? The soundtrack and animation looks fantastic.

The soundtrack itself is too good plus the Staff is looking great.

The music was good I'll give you that but that PV told me nothing about what was going on. why things were going on nor really gave me a hook to really care. Also the animation didn't really strike me as particularly noteworthy. fine but nothing remarkable. Looks like the same sort of nonsense that Hellsing Ultimate devolved into and while I'll totally give it a shot if I hear good impressions, the trailer failed to hype me for the show.

TUSR

Banned
Is Chitanda the best KyoAni girl to date?

QVmyc28.gif

phaze

Monster Musume was surprisingly edible given the contents of the source material. Whoever did the adaptation, (Yatterman staff ?) did a good job.

Boruto the Movie

I feel that the "watch it on sakugabooru" joke was never as apt as it is here. Beyond the first 2 minutes and the end game fights, you're subjected to an hour of Kishi's wallowing of how he has sacrificed his life for his work at the price of his family and what a terrible brat and an idiot his son is to not be able to understand that. I wonder how that movie was received in the family ... The poorly cooked up family drama at the display here was thoroughly underwhelming, Boruto's arc was transparent and predictable and his inclusion in the final fight just laughable, if you were to take seriously the power levels. Of course, of course ! everything is yet again resolved by a rasengan to the villain's face. So like in ... like in every Naruto movie ever...

The one good thing about the story might be the explanation for the purpose of (manga spoilers )
Kaguya's army and the demise of goddamn aliens that Kishi inserted into his story in the last fucking moment precisely to rake in cash from this travesty of a movie.
Which means that maybe this harebrained part of the story is done for good.

Still better than the Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom