• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
The most recent manga chapters could probably answer that ;)

va6GOfV.gif

JulianImp

Never watched a Gundam series. Can I watch IBO?

I heard it isn't reliant on you knowing the series' lore, so I watched two episodes since yesterday night. It still doesn't look all that that good to me, but I'll probably give it some more time since I've sat through way worse stuff before that I should've dropped on retrospect.

Andrew J.

Yurikuma Arashi 5-12 (end)

This is my least favourite of Ikuni's shows, although it contains so many brief flashes of excellence that it's hard to qualify.

Where Penguindrum buckled under the weight of its own plotting, it's almost the reverse here. Many things which are presented as "twists" in this show were immediately guessable from the first episode; while the lack of convolution is a good thing given the tightness of the show's run (I can't believe there was a recap episode!), it's undeniable that the show could do with a bit of breathing space - heaven forbid, a Nanami episode, or some wandering around looking at pants...

From episode 4 onwards the show really is on the right rails; I still have no idea what the stuff with all the honey and the licking was for in the first three episodes, as the show never references it again in any of the Court sequences. While the allegory the show is going for is obvious and never really developed thematically beyond its earliest portrayals at the start of the show, it does have the required payoff in the final episode so I can't be too churlish.

I think my favourite episode of the run is 8, "Bride-in-a-box". It's the most Utena-esque of them all visually - Shingo Kaneko employs his bag of Ikuni tricks in the episode - and the "box" theme lends itself well to my favourite kind of heavy handed thematic writing, as well as essentially developing a character in their entirety in one 22 minute slot.

I haven't watched anything else this year except shorts, so it's hard for me to say if it would end up being my favourite series this year. I don't think so; it's left me a little dissatisfied. I undoubtedly had high expectations and for a variety of reasons I don't feel the show met them, and I can't decide whether or not it's good enough in its own right to outweigh that.

One advantage I feel this show has over Ikuhara's others is that it's immediately obvious that everyone and everything in it is a metaphor. Like, it's possible to get a good ways through Utena thinking it's just about some eccentric students before you hit a plot point that doesn't make sense until you realize that Anthy is Feminism, or what have you.

From the New World [END]

This show is just so relevant when we put it next to the current world we live in. Obviously not in such a radical way as in here, but we too have wars and conflict due to different beliefs.

The ending simply blew my mind. I am ashamed of thinking that the show was going to turn into some filthy yaoi/yuri fan-service fest at a certain point, how many shows that look great in the beginning turn into something completely different about halfway through? This one however kept getting better and better as each episode went on. You keep questioning what you see up until the very end, when all questions are answered. I'm gonna keep my thoughts about this show very vague, simply because I think this is something each person needs to watch on their own without being spoiled. The sense of awe and wonder that I felt when I saw something new and different is something that the shows we get normally can't achieve. Oh and indeed, Squealer did nothing wrong.

10/10.

From the New World [END]

This show is just so relevant when we put it next to the current world we live in. Obviously not in such a radical way as in here, but we too have wars and conflict due to different beliefs.

The ending simply blew my mind. I am ashamed of thinking that the show was going to turn into some filthy yaoi/yuri fan-service fest at a certain point, how many shows that look great in the beginning turn into something completely different about halfway through? This one however kept getting better and better as each episode went on. You keep questioning what you see up until the very end, when all questions are answered. I'm gonna keep my thoughts about this show very vague, simply because I think this is something each person needs to watch on their own without being spoiled. The sense of awe and wonder that I felt when I saw something new and different is something that the shows we get normally can't achieve. Oh and indeed, Squealer did nothing wrong.

10/10.
More people need to see this, it's fantastic.

Exalted

Just realized i confused Gundam AGE and Gundam build fighters as the same show, since both have child protagonist...

If i disliked AGE is there any chance i will like Build fighters? I also love the new Gundam IBO.

Edit: Just gave a quick look at build fighters, and they are not even piloting any mechs but playing with toys, don't know how i feel about that...

Gvitor

Bakemonogatari 06-15 (END)

Took me a while, but I watched the remaining episodes this past week and I loved it. Great series.

Aside from the aesthetics/direction, which is probably the best thing this has going for it (there's nothing that I've seen like it), I really liked the characters and the dialogue, more than the story itself. I feel like this is a series with very strong 1-on-1 conversations, and it tries to reinforce that by pretty much having 1-on-1 as the only type of conversation whatsoever.

Almost every time there's more than one character in the scene, this show goes out of its way to either remove characters quickly, or have the third wheel be silent. Some examples:

Sengoku quickly leaving when Hanekawa arrives
Shinobu being silent the whole series
Oshino straight ignoring (and pointing it out that he is ignoring) Hanekawa to speak with Araragi
Senjougahara's father being silent, even though she spoke to him, and suddenly speaking when she leaves the car
Senjougahara and Hanekawa
not being able to see Hachikuji
so on

It's a shame that we miss in many characters interactions with this decision (since pretty much every dialogue has Araragi on it), but at the same time it gives more focus to the main topic at hand, and since those 1-on-1 dialogues are so great, they are given more attention and in the end I approved it.

Senjougahara>
White Cat Hanekawa>Loose Hair/Pajamas Hanekawa
>Sengoku>Hachikuji>Hanekawa>Kanbaru

I have no idea why they had so many "red scene" and "animation=none" and such pop-ups.

On to Nisemonogatari.

I feel like this is a series with very strong 1-on-1 conversations, and it tries to reinforce that by pretty much having 1-on-1 as the only type of conversation whatsoever.

Almost every time there's more than one character in the scene, this show goes out of its way to either remove characters quickly, or have the third wheel be silent. Some examples:

Oshino straight ignoring (and pointing it out that he is ignoring) Hanekawa to speak with Araragi
Senjougahara's father being silent, even though she spoke to him, and suddenly speaking when she leaves the car
so on

It's a shame that we miss in many characters interactions with this decision (since pretty much every dialogue has Araragi on it), but at the same time it gives more focus to the main topic at hand, and since those 1-on-1 dialogues are so great, they are given more attention and in the end I approved it.
Almost everything that you mentioned, aside from Senjougahara's father being silent, ties directly into a plot point later or earlier in the series. Monogatari's biggest strength, and at times its biggest weakness, is the intermittent smattering of plot details that lead into entire arcs. Although you are right and the show focuses on dialogue between 2-3 characters at most.

I have no idea why they had so many "red scene" and "animation=none" and such pop-ups.

On to Nisemonogatari.

Monogatari's style is heavily influenced by the French New Wave movement in film and especially by Goddard's work. The "red scenes" are scene markers. If you were paying attention you might notice there are...

Red scenes, black scenes, blue and lilac scenes, white scenes, green, orange and... peach(or tan, I guess) scenes.

Red scenes typically align with a shift towards Araragi's passionate emotions - he talks about death, gets attacked, becomes angry, etc.

Black scenes are indicative of a simple perspective shift and often accompany the "shutter" scene (a majority of red scenes do as well, but almost all black scenes markers link). More of an indicator in cinematography shifts than emotional shifts like the red scene marker.

Red and black also correspond to the character colors of Araragi himself and we see that the scene markers are also character markers.

The rest of the colors - yellow, white, lilac, etc - typically mark other characters entering a scene, but have less overall consistency from season to season. The biggest ones being yellow - typically a Shinobu marker - and White - generally a Hanekawa marker. However, the non-Red and Black shift and other characters share some colors as well. Sometimes the side colors indicate the feeling of a scene rather than the actual characters - green representing energy and exuberance for example.

From the New World [END]

10/10.

I'm always glad to see people reaching the end of this series.

I'm really glad you stuck with it. It has one of the best conclusions out there, and it really is such an on point show that really makes you think, unlike a lot of other anime out there. It's definitely among my absolute favorites from the medium.

There are a couple people who like it, such as @Yuyucow, but most people who were watching it seem to have given up on it due to it being too slow.

Accurate. I stuck with it and with the last episode it seems to have left slow mode, but I can hardly recommend it to people. The original series is absolutely a must-watch in my opinion though.

Chindogg

So Nisekoi is starting to pay off? Looks like I'll have to start watching it now.

There's nothing wrong with the harem idea since every girl will be happy.

Just realized i confused Gundam AGE and Gundam build fighters as the same show, since both have child protagonist...

If i disliked AGE is there any chance i will like Build fighters? I also love the new Gundam IBO.

Edit: Just gave a quick look at build fighters, and they are not even piloting any mechs but playing with toys, don't know how i feel about that...

I would stick with Age instead of build fighters. The writing is on entire new echelon vs build fighters. Even the soundtrack in Age is surperior. Without any war or serious storyline it is hard to see reasons to like Build Fighters more than Age.

Reknoc

Build Fighters is the best Gundam

Exalted

Are any masochists here even still watching that? I near forgot it existed.

I'm watching it , and i like it. The show is a bit slower than the previous version, and the first 12 episodes were mostly SOL with some action, but looks like the next episode the big battles start.
Also the show was on pause and will continue this weekend, so people didn't talk about it.

Exalted

Build Fighters is the best Gundam

But is it even a Gundam show without all the political stuff , drama ,wars and moral guidances. ( not that these things were handled great in previous Gundam shows)

I would stick with Age instead of build fighters. The writing is on entire new echelon vs build fighters. Even the soundtrack in Age is surperior. Without any war or serious storyline it is hard to see reasons to like Build Fighters more than Age.

Oh , i see.

Edti: dam, wanted to edit, not to double post..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For anime of the year can one vote for that Japanese show where guys have to sing karaoke while being wanked off?

Reknoc

But is it even a Gundam show without all the political stuff , drama ,wars and moral guidances. ( not that these things were handled great in previous Gundam shows)

Oh , i see.

Edti: dam, wanted to edit, not to double post..

I mean, it has all that I guess, also one of the main characters is Ramba Ral, Setsuna could only dream of being as Gundam as this show.

For anime of the year can one vote for that Japanese show where guys have to sing karaoke while being wanked off?

Is that like, some Japanese remake of Swordfish?

Grexeno

Oh , i see.
Gundam Build Fighters is better for not having that stuff and being able to deliver awesome Gundam action with an enjoyable story not bogged down in melodrama.

Also DO NOT listen to DTL.

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 3

Man I felt terrible for Miyamori, so much stuff to do. Glad it worked out.

Edit: Does anyone have any real life documentaries of the life of people working in studios while producing a currently airing anime? Would be fascinating.

Oh , i see.

It has Gundam on the name and it has cool robot battles. The fact that it doesn't have the drama, wars, and the other stuff is part of why Build Fighters is good.

And DON'T LISTEN TO DTL.

I'm always glad to see people reaching the end of this series.

I'm really glad you stuck with it. It has one of the best conclusions out there, and it really is such an on point show that really makes you think, unlike a lot of other anime out there. It's definitely among my absolute favorites from the medium.

I'm going to be remembering this show for a very long time. It does really make you think.

Shirobako 3

Man I felt terrible for Miyamori, so much stuff to do. Glad it worked out.

Edit: Does anyone have any real life documentaries of the life of people working in studios while producing a currently airing anime? Would be fascinating.

There's a documentary on the making of Little Witch Academia which you can find if you poke around.

DiGiKerot

The original show was relatively popular back in the day; I'm mildly surprised that this one hasn't taken off at all. Was it just boring? I wasn't a big fan of the original aside from its excellent ED song by the incomparable and sadly missed Eri Kawai.

It's fine - it's very well-made for what it is, and the characters are largely fun, but it is true that it has extremely little forward momentum. It's the kind of thing that I don't really regret following, but I'd probably start forgetting to watch at some point if it hadn't been airing on a Saturday around a bunch of other shows I was watching, and therefore had Crunchyroll open already.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.12
Hilarious. One of the best episodes yet with its Haku madness. Looks like he has himself a harem now, with two actual servers to take care of his needs, lol. I can't wait for next season to start now.

Exalted

I mean, it has all that I guess, also one of the main characters is Ramba Ral, Setsuna could only dream of being as Gundam as this show.

Your coment about it having all that made me curious and i did a quick peek at some future episodes. ( i thought based on your coment that it starts as a boy playing games, and then he becomes a real pilot when the war starts due to his skills, like the movie the last starfighter)

So i checked a random episode in the middle, and don't know what i expected, but there was a gundam playing baseball. And then i checked another random episode and there was a knight gundam doing ohohoho fighting a giant bear...
Will try it in the future, since i'm curently not in the mood for something so exotic.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The original show was relatively popular back in the day; I'm mildly surprised that this one hasn't taken off at all. Was it just boring? I wasn't a big fan of the original aside from its excellent ED song by the incomparable and sadly missed Eri Kawai.
The new Utawareumono is heavily ingrained in its source material, which is a brand of strategy RPG that never comes to the west because of the amount of work that would require. I feel like this kind of adds to the element of the material feeling very foreign to outsiders. The landscape for what catches in the west has changed to over the top Light Novel or manga material. The setting is very traditional. The lead character is older than the anime average and he gets by through luck and wit rather than sheer determination and possessing some innate gift. The show is slow to reveal it's hand but it's actually not something I would describe as slow. It also has pretty gratuitous fanservice in spots, and it's not really complex subject material, so it's not going to find an audience with people interested in high minded content.

But the attention to detail and cohesiveness of the project is really impressive. Utawarerumono is multiple levels above White Fox's other productions from recent times and feels really solidly built.

Are any masochists here even still watching that? I near forgot it existed.

There's nothing masochistic about watching a pretty good show.

The new Utawareumono is heavily ingrained in its source material, which is a brand of strategy RPG that never comes to the west because of the amount of work that would require.
Well not never. Tears to Tiara 2 came over and there's probably a fair chance Atlus localizes this game too.

The first season anyway...
Even the first season eventually devolved into the anime robot equivalent of a shoddily booked wrestling promotion.

Qurupeke

Took me a while, but I watched the remaining episodes this past week and I loved it. Great series.

Aside from the aesthetics/direction, which is probably the best thing this has going for it (there's nothing that I've seen like it), I really liked the characters and the dialogue, more than the story itself. I feel like this is a series with very strong 1-on-1 conversations, and it tries to reinforce that by pretty much having 1-on-1 as the only type of conversation whatsoever.

so on

Senjougahara>
White Cat Hanekawa>Loose Hair/Pajamas Hanekawa
>Sengoku>Hachikuji>Hanekawa>Kanbaru

On to Nisemonogatari.

Wasn't Episode 12 the best thing you watched
ever
? Be strong on Nise, it needs a strong stomach to digest it but I think it's almost as good as Bake.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wait, there isn't a new OT yet?

I'm confused

Edit: Apparently most stuff won't air for another week. Sorry for the interruption >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom