• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you ever feel bad about being slow with a show, remember, it took me 84 years to finish the first series of Hidamari Sketch.

Erin new OP
Holy moly, what's the hell is this!

https://vimeo.com/71711879

The visuals are fine, even better than the previous ones that were just over 99999 death flags for the mum. I understand they were going for a more dramatic tone since we are going to get into the main part of Erin's plot, but the song feels like the singer is dying!

I know, right? "Yay new OP....with kinda similar visuals, oh and it's another interpretation of the same song...a fucking terrible one. Yay."

Really though, them vocals constantly on the verge of breaking up are incredible obnoxious.

e: Also you're surpassing me now... gotta watch more myself. Kinda slowed down for little reason, although Erin is one of the few show's I've been watching slowly over time instead of binging.

Andrew J.

Kuromukuro 7

Wanted to make a "get in the damn mukuro, yukina" joke but ended up impressed how Yukina's melancholy instead created despondency in Kennosuke.

I can't shake the impression that, in certain respects, Kuromukuro was written very specifically to be the anti-Evangelion.

yeah but that dope 1st episode animation tho

actually i thought the gender politics is fine. maka is a great character and she and soul get along great. i guess skeezy dad and lust archetype medusa (well... not really) kinda roll around though.

can't really argue on the rest. it coasts on style for a while but i don't think the story is brilliant or anything. not even a 'generic shonen done real well' like MHA or anything (though the anime for MHA has its own problems). I liked it well enough until ep 30 or so tho
There are some nice cuts of animation but neither battle was really standout to me.

For the gender politics, I was left scratching my head as to what was trying to be conveyed.
- Soul is overly concerned with being a (cool) man and has sexist views
- Maka is a misandrist with daddy issues
- Blair offering temptation to Soul
- Maka's father

The dramatic climax involving Maka's distrust of men was really poorly built up, especially with the tone problems.

I'll at least watch the second episode to see if the director and writer figure out wtf they are doing.

JulianImp

Because that's how anime works. ~*~*misunderstandings*~*~

But, like, I probably wouldn't get infatuated with a girl that constantly embarassed me in public. The fact that the girl that keeps getting molested by some guy (even if it's by accident) eventually ends up liking it feels like an awfully cheap and mysoginist way to develop the pair's relationship.

In other news, I think Hundred has now perfected the slip and fall syndrome...

Nah, Yuuki Rito still wins, no contest. Only he can engage in subconcious definitely-not-sex with girls in his sleep and accidentally get in extremely harenchi situations with every single girl in the cast, ranging from alien princesses and bio-weapons, to classmates, school teachers, and even his own (underage as hell) little sister (not to mention his fiancee's little sister as well). Not even Koyomi Roriragi's got anything on him.

Yuri on Ice!! 1 dub

They nailed Victor and Yurio's russian accent so well. I am quite pleased with this dub!

Orange 1 dub

This dub sounds really good so far too. Lots of voices I don't reconize in the new simuldub this season from funimation. I really liked how they one uped their already excellent dubs.

Also for Orange every time I listen to this opening I get this sad feeling inside of me. It's probably the tone but damn.

Cornbread78

Nah, Yuuki Rito still wins, no contest. Only he can engage in subconcious definitely-not-sex with girls in his sleep and accidentally get in extremely harenchi situations with every single girl in the cast, ranging from alien princesses and bio-weapons, to classmates, school teachers, and even his own (underage as hell) little sister (not to mention his fiancee's little sister as well). Not even Koyomi Roriragi's got anything on him.

Yeah know, I've always wanted to watch past S1 for some good ecchi fun/comedy, then I remember that there is some shit like the imouto stuff in there and I want to jump off a bridge instead. Is there a way to watch for fun and avoid those garbage episodes?

blurr

Girlish Number 03

Hm, I wonder if it goes in depth with voice acting nuances and styles. Seems to be taking it very seriously. At least some of the characters are.

Exalted

Nobunaga no Shinobi episode 4
8di7g4D.jpg
J5STaHP.jpg

Still funny , liked the tsundere part.

JulianImp

Yeah know, I've always wanted to watch past S1 for some good ecchi fun/comedy, then I remember that there is some shit like the imouto stuff in there and I want to jump off a bridge instead. Is there a way to watch for fun and avoid those garbage episodes?

You'll be fine as long as you skip episodes the moment you realize Mikan will be the main focus and not just a side character (ie: she goes take a shower or something).

Still, be warned that S1 is nothing compared to Darkness, which gets a lot more plot (and "plot") compared to the 99% episodic earlier seasons.

blurr

Kuromukuro 01

Yea, I can dig mecha katana fights in the future. If only it weren't 3DCG but I guess that's alright.

It didn't occur to me immediately but I read someone compare it to EVA and I've begun to see the resemblance as I kept watching.

Yukina you'd better get in the damn robot.

I did not expect that entrance of Kennosuke - I remember him from promo images and discussions so I was wondering where he would appear. What's even more interesting is the way he addresses Yukina, implying he's from a different time period entirely. Evidently, things are getting intriguing.

Qurupeke

Occultic;Nine 2-3

This is weird. People said that it didn't move as fast as the first episode, true, but it's not like it makes much more sense now. There are so many plotlines that apparently will converge to the central mystery, but as it is now, it's quite confusing. Basically, almost every character seems to move independently, with occasional interactions with the rest of the cast.

The Onii-sama story was fucked up. The show does an excellent job on making me lose my appetite.

pbayne

All Out 3

Jesus i wince everytime two guys go head first into tackles in this. Lads no. That's a concussion or broken neck waiting to happen.
Rugby is such a hard game to actually explain since it can be extremely convoluted rules wise to people who don't watch it. So the show has a bit of an uphill battle trying to explain them all. Lol if there isn't 70 fouls per match these guys aren't playing real rugby.

Wonder where the MC guy fits in. With his size he can only realistically be a scrum-half or a fly-half but they seem to have players in those positions already.

Jex

Worse than ZZ? You're drunk good sir, go home.

0083 is actually my favorite, I guess people just don't get what it's trying to do. Surprised to see it's so hated here with such a passion.

I'm sorry to say that we aren't a 0083 safe space!

Cornbread78

All Out 3
Wonder where the MC guy fits in. With his size he can only realistically be a scrum-half or a fly-half but they seem to have players in those positions already.

The dreaded injury to a starter. He gets to step in and saves to day, or gets pwnd. Either way, perfect way to make an intro with some drama.

I'm sorry to say that we aren't a 0083 safe space!

Apparently. It's like an insane asylum in here with some of the most bizarre declarations concerning Gundam I've seen yet! :p

But that's okay, Gundam OT seems to be a friendlier place to discuss that particular Gundam.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Best gundam: 0080
Second best: GBF (sans Try)
Third bes: Crossbone
Fourth best: 08th MS Team
Fifth best: SUPER ASIA
Sixth best: Every scene in Unicorn involving Kshatriya

Secret best: Endless Waltz

Best gundam: 0080
Second best: GBF (sans Try)
Third bes: Crossbone
Fourth best: 08th MS Team
Fifth best: SUPER ASIA
Sixth best: Every scene in Unicorn involving Kshatriya

Secret best: Endless Waltz

SUPER ASIA's too low. He's the undefeated of the east, south, north, and center for a reason!

Jex

Apparently. It's like an insane asylum in here with some of the most bizarre declarations concerning Gundam I've seen yet! :p

But that's okay, Gundam OT seems to be a friendlier place to discuss that particular Gundam.

Now you know this thread is considered a home of snobby elitists!

Jex

I can't shake the impression that, in certain respects, Kuromukuro was written very specifically to be the anti-Evangelion.

Not to discredit your reading but I never really got that impression from the show because it didn't feel like it was commenting on the same kind of issues.

For me, the main theme of Kuromukuro was self-determination vs control. Most of the key characters, at some point, had to consider the societal/organisation structure that was binding them to live their lives in a certain way and ultimately reject that structure/organisation. This wasn't really a theme that Evangelion dealt with.

What's interesting about this theme is that I don't seem to recall many anime directly attacking the oppressive nature of Japanese society. For example in Kuromukro, the structures that are criticised are alien races/military bureaucracy which exist clearly as stand-in for Japanese society. Harmony does a similar thing where they critique the controlling nature of the system, but that feels like an even more transparent attack on Japanese cultural/behavioural norms.

Of course, it's hard to really comment on or decipher these ideas as an outsider to Japanese society.

duckroll

I don't think Kuromukuro is written to be pro or anti anything. It feels like a 90s mecha anime series which earnestly wants to tell an entertaining story with entertaining characters in its own way. That's why I feel it succeeds.

Jex

I don't think Kuromukuro is written to be pro or anti anything. It feels like a 90s mecha anime series which earnestly wants to tell an entertaining story with entertaining characters in its own way. That's why I feel it succeeds.

To further clarify, I don't think the series is overtly message-heavy but that an examination of the text would reveal that the series has thematic weight.

pbayne

3 Gatsu Lion 3

"Are we in a manga...this is like a manga" maybe should have changed that dialogue a bit lol.
Thought the first half was pretty bad. The shogi stuff just isn't engaging at all. The butler's exposition was also really heavy-handed.
I think the MC guys constant narration would work in a manga but it dosen't translate well at all to anime.

Probably drop it.

The dreaded injury to a starter. He gets to step in and saves to day, or gets pwnd. Either way, perfect way to make an intro with some drama.

When's our Coach Cornbread makes the tough decisions anime coming?

Jex

[Fafner: Dead Aggressor] - 1 & 2

Well, I can see why Jarmel mentioned that someone watching this show would view it as little more than a Evangelion clone. Without knowing anything else about this franchise I could quite easily see myself essentially ignoring this series. It truly feels like a low-rent Evangelion, considering everything from the scenario, the plotting of the episode, the 'enemy' design, even the scene where they have to eject the arm of the mecha because it's damaged and the pain is is hurting the pilot.

You know what this actually made me appreciate? RahXephon? Now, that's another show that borrows heavily from Evangelion but at the very least that show has really fantastic art design and far better storyboarding. [F:DE] is rather turgid by comparison, even if some of the background art can be fairly attractive.

Cornbread78

When's our Coach Cornbread makes the tough decisions anime coming?

I probably would have already lost because I would have benched the half witted tree trunk for being such a pansy until he finally snapped out of it...

Hopefully he starts to play like a real man going forward and not that scaredy cat or else shorty fireball is going to replace him, lol.

Andrew J.

Not to discredit your reading but I never really got that impression from the show because it didn't feel like it was commenting on the same kind of issues.

For me, the main theme of Kuromukuro was self-determination vs control. Most of the key characters, at some point, had to consider the societal/organisation structure that was binding them to live their lives in a certain way and ultimately reject that structure/organisation. This wasn't really a theme that Evangelion dealt with.

What's interesting about this theme is that I don't seem to recall many anime directly attacking the oppressive nature of Japanese society. For example in Kuromukro, the structures that are criticised are alien races/military bureaucracy which exist clearly as stand-in for Japanese society. Harmony does a similar thing where they critique the controlling nature of the system, but that feels like an even more transparent attack on Japanese cultural/behavioural norms.

Of course, it's hard to really comment on or decipher these ideas as an outsider to Japanese society.

When I say "in certain respects" what I really mean is "the relationship between Yukina and her mother."

So our starting point is traditional 70s-ish super robot anime. The hero is a teenaged boy who works alongside his scientist father, sometimes posthumously, to have these hotblooded robot adventures. They don't always see eye to eye on everything, and may have been distant for a period, but when push comes to shove they put their differences aside to fight the bad guys. Reluctance to fight on the part of the hero is rare and usually not a major focus.

Then there's Eva. The relationship between Gendo and Shinji is fundamentally broken and abusive. They've been distant for years, and that distance continues throughout. Shinji is (as expected of a realistic modern Japanese teenager) scared of death and violence and doesn't want to fight. Only through emotional manipulation (first the implied threat to Rei, and then dangling fatherly approval) does Gendo convince him to pilot. As the series goes on their relationship, and Shinji's mental health, deteriorates from clashing philosophies and combat stress.

Finally, Kuromukuro. It genderswaps these two archetypes, for one thing, which probably merits an essay of its own, but that might be beyond my capabilities. There's some workaholic stuff played for laughs, but compared with the previous scenarios Hiromi has been much more present in her childrens' lives. Yukina is initially as scared of combat as Shinji, but Hiromi never tries to force it on her, even telling her that she doesn't need to be a pilot anymore. Yukina is ultimately able to decide on her own that piloting is a responsibility that she needs to fulfill, rather than doing it for the approval of another. And finally, near the end there are several instances where Hiromi prioritizes her daughter's wellbeing over loyalty to the UN or its mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom