• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Coach Kiritobread has a shit gameplan and looks bewildered on the sidelines.

6aRBX8Z.png

You know, I've seen a bunch of new anime where one of the female main characters is physically dominant over/equal to the main male character (Sword Art, AOT, Alderamin, Code Geass etc...), but I don't think I've seen one where the female main is intellectually leagues above the main male character. Except maybe in comedy anime.

Or in other words, I can think of a ton of "female fighter, tactical genius male MC" anime but no "tactical genius female, male MC fighter" anime.

Cornbread78

You know, I've seen a bunch of new anime where one of the female main characters is physically dominant over/equal to the main male character (Sword Art, AOT, Alderamin, Code Geass etc...), but I don't think I've seen one where the female main is intellectually leagues above the main male character. Except maybe in comedy anime.

Or in other words, I can think of a ton of "female fighter, tactical genius male MC" anime but no "tactical genius female, male MC fighter" anime.

Wait, didn't Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere have the woman taking the smart/tactical role in the warfare?

[Fafner: Dead Aggressor] - 1 & 2

Well, I can see why Jarmel mentioned that someone watching this show would view it as little more than a Evangelion clone. Without knowing anything else about this franchise I could quite easily see myself essentially ignoring this series. It truly feels like a low-rent Evangelion, considering everything from the scenario, the plotting of the episode, the 'enemy' design, even the scene where they have to eject the arm of the mecha because it's damaged and the pain is is hurting the pilot.

You know what this actually made me appreciate? RahXephon? Now, that's another show that borrows heavily from Evangelion but at the very least that show has really fantastic art design and far better storyboarding. [F:DE] is rather turgid by comparison, even if some of the background art can be fairly attractive.

Fafner is a consistently ugly show. That's why Right of Left comes as such a revelation, as the franchise moves from below average cinematography to above average cinematography despite having the same basic art design. Then Heaven and Earth totally revamps the visual approach and it's simply incredible, often breathtaking.

At least I can assure you that Fafner develops its own identity. As I alluded to before, the opening 10 or so episodes are mostly a big pit of nothingness but afterwards the series makes a sharp shift in storytelling and actuallh begins to flesh out its characters and themes in an appealing way. The quest for coexistence and understanding between humans and Festum that becomes a dominating theme of the story is something that I don't think has a parallel in Evangelion. It actually ends up reminding me more of classic science fiction such as Asimov and Clarke.

So all I can say at this point is to soldier on through the rough segment and you should start finding qualities you can appreciate.

Jarmel

Banned
he quest for coexistence and understanding between humans and Festum that becomes a dominating theme of the story is something that I don't think has a parallel in Evangelion. It actually ends up reminding me more of classic science fiction such as Asimov and Clarke.

You haven't gotten to the real Clarke stuff yet in Exodus. There's a lot of transhumanism aspects in the later segments of Exodus.

Qurupeke

Kira's Bizarre Adventure 30
I think this is easily one of the most bizarre episodes of the series and Grasscat is one of the weirdest creatures in JoJo. A cat that dies and gets reincarnated as a plant, I don't think anything can surpass that. Just unreal.

I loved this episode so much. Kira's a fantastic villain and his overreactions to the cat or awkwardness when he's dealing with his wife are glorious.

BluWacky

I suspect the issue is that no-one in anime is really renowned for their smarts when they are beating/blowing things up... If you take a show like The Perfect Insider, where both leads are smart, there is no need for any kind of "physical dominance". If you go down a more typical light novel/manga-esque story, then you tend to end up with genius girls solving mysteries while the men do very little (Gosick, Heaven's Memo Pad etc.); often if a female character is smart she is also competent physically and usually not paired up with a male character, but clever female characters are such a rarity in anime this happens pretty infrequently (Moribito springs to mind...)

It's a relatively common trope in comedy anime (Rune Soldier Louis and Slayers spring immediately to mind from the 90s/early 00s) to have dumbass beefy male leads that the female characters make fun of. It's also not unheard of in shounen; Kekkaishi, for instance, builds much of its plot over the fact that its female lead is physically weaker but much cleverer than her male counterpart (while he has raw strength). If you look at Twin Star Exorcists at the moment, I believe that follows a similar path.

At least I can assure you that Fafner develops its own identity. As I alluded to before, the opening 10 or so episodes are mostly a big pit of nothingness but afterwards the series makes a sharp shift in storytelling and actuallh begins to flesh out its characters and themes in an appealing way.
The worst part of the nothingness is that the character establishment and events that occur are fairly important for the development that occurs after the shift, so it still becomes a necessity to watch.

Reading through the Ubukata's version of the Fafner's beginning, through the drama CDs and non-canon light novel, really make me wonder how things would have turned out for the franchise if he had control from the start.

Jarmel

Banned
Reading through the Ubukata's version of the Fafner's beginning, through the drama CDs and non-canon light novel, really make me wonder how things would have turned out for the franchise if he had control from the start.

It still would have been an ugly ass show.

Taruranto

Shaft does Natsume #4

It's probably the "Rapist that locks people in his sex dungeon" aura, Nyanko.

I don't know what's wrong with Studio Shuka, their first episodes look fine, but their stuff gets noticeably worse asap. Are they rushed? Understaffed? They are ex-Brain Base so I don't think it's a matter of incompetence.

Qurupeke

oh you sweet summer child

The bizzareness peaks in Part 6, although 7 and 8 are weirder in general. [Heaven] in Part 6 is still the most nonsense thing in the entire series.

Oh I agree, I was referring to the material which they already adapted, though Part 2 had its fair share of crazy stuff. Part 6 is certainly the king, no contest.

Taruranto

Erin #33

What kind of question is this lol? Does she think she was doing pot again and "accidentally" saw
her own Beast-Lord fly?
Also her new outfit reminds me of some JRPG outfit but I can't pinpoint it. Grandia? Some Studio Gibli stuff?

Is image-spoiler function broken for anyone else too?

Szadek

Cardcaptor Sakura - Ep. 9
The show is still great. Li was certianly a good addtion, since he makes the character interactions more interesting.
I will probably focus more on this show once I'm done with Smile Precure.
Speaking of:

Smile Precure - Ep. 17
Some of the other episodes were a bit lacking,but this was one of the funniest episodes so far:

0083 fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

What makes you prefer the Compilation movie? I've never gotten to see it.

Also:

Ninja Girl & Samurai Master Episode 4:
Cute as ever. Not much to say, less than five minutes of adorable and decent humor.

Occultic;Nine Episode 3:
A bit disjointed, otherwise a decent episode. I'd say the one problem the show has though is that it never does anything to help that rushed opening so many people struggled with. Since it never goes back for the audience it means anyone struggling to follow just gets lost further and further behind until nothing they're watching makes sense.

Poco's Udon World Episode 3:
Wife is still enjoying this one more than me. I found the guys friend to be a little too... difficult for my tastes and the story seems to be moving very slow towards changing Souta's mind on where he wants to go in life. Also the Gaogao cartoon is less and less endearing each week.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 4:
Well, outside of the lore in the last episode, and introducing a new profession here, I feel like the very kid centered atmosphere is taking its tole on me. Probably going to drop this at six episodes in when my Wife and I do Mid Season Reviews. I still think it's a decent enough kids show, but unlike, perhaps early seasons of Pokemon, it doesn't do enough to elevate itself beyond that kid centric audience.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 4:
Well, outside of the lore in the last episode, and introducing a new profession here, I feel like the very kid centered atmosphere is taking its tole on me. Probably going to drop this at six episodes in when my Wife and I do Mid Season Reviews. I still think it's a decent enough kids show, but unlike, perhaps early seasons of Pokemon, it doesn't do enough to elevate itself beyond that kid centric audience.

What do early seasons of Pokemon do to elevate themselves beyond kids?

What do early seasons of Pokemon do to elevate themselves beyond kids?

Well, that's why I said perhaps. I haven't watched early seasons of Pokemon since... over five years ago. But based off of what I remember, it felt more engaging, more approachable, and I think offered a little more world and character that didn't feel so squarely targeted at children. I guess I'd say it had a more charming personality, both in the writing of the plot and its characters.

Oh cool, thanks, I'll read that.

Edit: Interesting read, as I've never watched the compilation movie. It sounds like indeed some of the changes maybe are for the better, and it perhaps sticks closure, in some regards, to what I personally love about the series, although losing Burning seems like a major detractor. I ultimately disagree with your conclusion, and I wasn't aware there was a big call for the compilation movie being the better experience, but you've definitely made me interested in acquiring it and seeing it for myself once it gets the NA release.

Psycho-Pass comes to mind

Taruranto

Erin #34

Yeah, this episode didn't do it for me much. Two people (well, a person and a beast) are poisoned by the same thing at the same time and Erin and Ial happen to run into each other? A bit too contrived for my tastes. How did the poisoned food even get into the Princess quarters? Doesn't anyone check it?

The Saigamul also don't appear a very smart bunch, parading around in their masks and all.

Flip Flappers 2-3

Uhhhhh, it's okay? I guess. It's colorful.

I imagine MetroidPrimeRib must have been disappointed with episode three, because they introduced a character who could step on him, only to kill her off.

Aki-at

Luke Cage - END

The biggest disappointment of the year. It's like they wanted to top how dumb Jessica Jones got in the second half. Avoid.

ClassicLoid - 3

These Muzik segments are a real highlight but I didn't enjoy this one narely as much as the previous two, still good though.

Wonder if Bach will ever say anything meaningful.

Tiger Mask W - 1

I didn't know I needed this in my life but I need this in my life. I don't even like wrestling!

JulianImp

Occultic;Nine kind of feels like what you'd get if you took Durarara and made the whole first season into a single episode. Parallel plot threads are nice and dandy, but you need to be eased into the characters and world somewhat, rather than being force-fed a whole light novel volume's worth of content within the span of 21 minutes.

Lion #3

Did anyone inform Mr. Director that anime is a visual medium too?

The material is actuarially solid, but shut up for a second, jeez.

I haven't watched ep3 yet, but I really didn't like how we got a 99% visual first episode that was pretty appealing and unique, only for the second to go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, becoming more verbose than Monogatari while having nowhere near as much visual flair and dynamism as it.

Just finished Kuromukuro. That was fucking awesome.

Hard to believe this is PA Works first mecha show. Full thoughts later but damn I absolutely enjoyed the last 3-4 days of binging this. I wasnt expecting the ending to be so bittersweet. I even ended up liking characters I hated!

So fucking good.

Parallel plot threads are nice and dandy, but you need to be eased into the characters and world somewhat, rather than being force-fed a whole light novel volume's worth of content within the span of 21 minutes.
They did not fit one light novel into 21 minutes.

Tricksters 3-4

That opening is so good, we really got spoiled this season in terms of op/ed.

As for the episodes themselves, I enjoyed them. I really like Kobayashi as a character. And the story is moving nicely.

So many good show this season, it's been a while since I got something new and good to watch everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom