• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

They did not fit one light novel into 21 minutes

My bad. I must've misread someone else's post, then.

That aside, it honestly felt like an episode we'd get halfway into DRR, where the barrage of characters and situations gets confusing to watch instead of being intriguing or appealing.

Also, I'm kind of ticked off with the girl with the humungous rack that appears to be as dumb as, if not dumber than Miria, and the campy gay that owns the restaurant/pub is also a bit annoying. Actually, why is it that most gay man in mainstream (read: not BL) anime are all campy as hell, and often end up being used as comedic relief? Even the otherwise good Gatchaman Crowds had OD relegated to doing absolutely nothing other than saying his trademark 〜過ぎぃ! line on the show's second season, while Gatze's sociopathic tendencies also ended up being played for laughs there for the most part.

The only decent examples I can think of are the crossdressing guy from Tokyo Godfathers and the main cast of Hourou Musko, but I'm sure there must be other cases where the cahracters' sexual identity isn't merely played for laughs.

The bizzareness peaks in Part 6, although 7 and 8 are weirder in general. [Heaven] in Part 6 is still the most nonsense thing in the entire series.

Eh,
Made in Heaven is just an OP fast forward button with a bunch of convoluted rules to it. It's not THAT bizarre.
Foo Fighters is the most bizarre thing in Part 6 and probably the series as a whole.

Line_HTX

That shot was pretty bad. I don't know what was the point of turning it 90 degrees like that. It could've gotten its intent better if it was vertical or maybe slightly tilted at most.

I imagine MetroidPrimeRib must have been disappointed with episode three, because they introduced a character who could step on him, only to kill her off.

Nah, can't be greedy when they made a character just for me.

Eh,
Made in Heaven is just an OP fast forward button with a bunch of convoluted rules to it. It's not THAT bizarre.
Foo Fighters is the most bizarre thing in Part 6 and probably the series as a whole.

No, by [Heaven] I mean the method of how you activate [Heaven].

jonjonaug

Girlish Number 1&2: I liked all of the scenes with the side characters and almost none of the scenes with the main ones. Can we get an anime about Gojo and his shitty coworkers instead?

That aside, it honestly felt like an episode we'd get halfway into DRR, where the barrage of characters and situations gets confusing to watch instead of being intriguing or appealing.

Also, I'm kind of ticked off with the girl with the humungous rack that appears to be as dumb as, if not dumber than Miria, and the campy gay that owns the restaurant/pub is also a bit annoying. Actually, why is it that most gay man in mainstream (read: not BL) anime are all campy as hell, and often end up being used as comedic relief? Even the otherwise good Gatchaman Crowds had OD relegated to doing absolutely nothing other than saying his trademark 〜過ぎぃ! line on the show's second season, while Gatze's sociopathic tendencies also ended up being played for laughs there for the most part.

The only decent examples I can think of are the crossdressing guy from Tokyo Godfathers and the main cast of Hourou Musko, but I'm sure there must be other cases where the cahracters' sexual identity isn't merely played for laughs.

Hopefully Otouto no Otto will get a anime adaption one day due to its decent popularity in Japan (and US since it's being brought over).

Clov

While OD is a bit played up as an okama stereotype, I still felt that he was a good character. His teammates take him seriously, and the only character that mocks him for his sexuality (that I recall) is Katze towards the end of S1. I do agree that he was very underutilized in S2, like many other cast members. As for Katze themselves, though there's moments where they sexualize other cast members in S1, I always felt that despite their flamboyancy they didn't really have a sexual identity of thier own. Katze is more of a chaotic force than a person, they only want to cause discord and suffering among humans. That's my take on it, at least.

As for anime with respectful portrayals of gay men, I'm drawing a bit of a blank as soon as I start to venture outside of BL. I know a few with gay women, and a few excellent portrayals of trans characters (including, as you mentioned, Hourou Musuko), but it's tough to think of mainstream examples of well done gay male characters. I can think of Oscar from Fujiko Mine, but I'm not so sure he's a great example (being incredibly obsessive over his one-sided crush, among other things).

If it were less late and I were less tired, perhaps I could have found better examples. Sorry I can't be much help in this case.

Cornbread78

Can't fucking handle it, haven't seen Konosuba but I dear hope it crashes and burns to pair a beautiful track to some run-of-the-mill typical anime PV complete wth boob physics.

Watch Konosuba if you like stupid-fun comedy, it's great!

(Yes, there is some mindless fanservice)

JulianImp

While OD is a bit played up as an okama stereotype, I still felt that he was a good character. His teammates take him seriously, and the only character that mocks him for his sexuality (that I recall) is Katze towards the end of S1. I do agree that he was very underutilized in S2, like many other cast members. As for Katze themselves, though there's moments where they sexualize other cast members in S1, I always felt that despite their flamboyancy they didn't really have a sexual identity of thier own. Katze is more of a chaotic force than a person, they only want to cause discord and suffering among humans. That's my take on it, at least.

As for anime with respectful portrayals of gay men, I'm drawing a bit of a blank as soon as I start to venture outside of BL. I know a few with gay women, and a few excellent portrayals of trans characters (including, as you mentioned, Hourou Musuko), but it's tough to think of mainstream examples of well done gay male characters. I can think of Oscar from Fujiko Mine, but I'm not so sure he's a great example (being incredibly obsessive over his one-sided crush, among other things).

If it were less late and I were less tired, perhaps I could have found better examples. Sorry I can't be much help in this case.

Yeah, Katze was more like some kind of JoJo-style flamboyant and empowered antagonist that loved toying with others, a trait which was applied to the way s/he/it made the gatchamen uncomfortable through invading their personal space both physically and mentally. But the, S2 had it literally stuck inside Hajime the whole time, completely deprived of its former status as a threat to anyone, and limited to gag scenes where it called Hajime a bitch over and over in a "I'm flamboyant so I can call you a bitch and we can laugh it off" or something, which made sense for Katze's character but was still pretty bad IMO.

OD was respected and had some great moments of agency in S1, but the whole "my powers shall remain sealed" thing was a dud (maybe I'm misremembering things, but I don't remember his transformation leading to anything bad happening to the world despite what he had originally said), and the focus shift to Gelsadra and the new girl for S2 relegated all the Gatchamen save for Hajime to little more than one-trick ponies (like, the fire guy did have a bit of a character arc there, but in the end it barely mattered in the grand scheme of things). OD in particular even got replaced in Millone's TV show with a cheap expy, to the point he hung a lampshade on how the other guy was totally copying his mannerisms and even his signature catchphrase and nobody seemed to care.

...And now that I think about it, I guess Rui also counts as a decent character with a non-standard sexual identity (even if it's used as his mass-media persona for the most part). Looking back, it's kind of nice that the show had such a varied cast... but then S2 kind of blew it with the way it pushed the whole "extremes are bad" envelope way too much, making the whole cast's characterizations and personal arcs suffer by comparison.

Qurupeke

Yuri on Ice 3

Yaoi on Ice. It's not even undertones anymore. lol

Other than that, I loved both of the choreographies. They represented the two aspects of love very well. The animation was really strong too.

I should also mention how much I love the show's pacing. It's fast but it still can deliver plenty of character moments. Not tedious at all.

Szadek

Smile Precure! -Ep. 19
The episode was very good.
Learning about Yayoi and her father was both interesting and emotional.
They were pretty creative with the transtion into the flashbacks.
The fight in the rain against the fox akanbe was probably the best in smile so far.

Clov

Yeah, Katze was more like some kind of JoJo-style flamboyant and empowered antagonist that loved toying with others, a trait which was applied to the way s/he/it made the gatchamen uncomfortable through invading their personal space both physically and mentally. But the, S2 had it literally stuck inside Hajime the whole time, completely deprived of its former status as a threat to anyone, and limited to gag scenes where it called Hajime a bitch over and over in a "I'm flamboyant so I can call you a bitch and we can laugh it off" or something, which made sense for Katze's character but was still pretty bad IMO.

OD was respected and had some great moments of agency in S1, but the whole "my powers shall remain sealed" thing was a dud (maybe I'm misremembering things, but I don't remember his transformation leading to anything bad happening to the world despite what he had originally said), and the focus shift to Gelsadra and the new girl for S2 relegated all the Gatchamen save for Hajime to little more than one-trick ponies (like, the fire guy did have a bit of a character arc there, but in the end it barely mattered in the grand scheme of things). OD in particular even got replaced in Millone's TV show with a cheap expy, to the point he hung a lampshade on how the other guy was totally copying his mannerisms and even his signature catchphrase and nobody seemed to care.

...And now that I think about it, I guess Rui also counts as a decent character with a non-standard sexual identity (even if it's used as his mass-media persona for the most part). Looking back, it's kind of nice that the show had such a varied cast... but then S2 kind of blew it with the way it pushed the whole "extremes are bad" envelope way too much, making the whole cast's characterizations and personal arcs suffer by comparison.

I can definitely see what you mean when it comes to Katze and OD in S2; the show definitely put a bit too much on thier plate, as much as I loved the second season. Regarding OD, nothing bad did happen when he used his power, but the problem was that he was strong enough that they had the potential to destroy a planet if he wasn't careful. I did like the way that OD served as a mentor figure to Tsukasa in a handful of scenes, but it's certainly not pushed enough (and Hajime takes that position for the most part).

Rui is a great character who got a lot of focus in S2, which made me happy since they're my favorite. I definitely believe that Rui's identity is more than a mass media persona though, given that there's also times when they present themselves as feminine in private and when only with friends. I personally believe that Rui is a great example of a non-binary character, something that makes them very close to my heart. Here's a fun fact, that's probably a coincidence; some non-binary people in Japan refer to themselves as "x-gender".

I really do appreciate what S2 tried to do, but it did suffer somewhat from getting too...crowded. I liked the message, I just wish that more of the older cast remained relevant. My friend's favorite, Sugane, hardly got to do anything at all, and she was a bit disappointed by that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
You know, I've seen a bunch of new anime where one of the female main characters is physically dominant over/equal to the main male character (Sword Art, AOT, Alderamin, Code Geass etc...), but I don't think I've seen one where the female main is intellectually leagues above the main male character. Except maybe in comedy anime.

Or in other words, I can think of a ton of "female fighter, tactical genius male MC" anime but no "tactical genius female, male MC fighter" anime.

Some example i could think off

Sakurako from beautiful bones: sakurako investigation

Medaka from Medaka Box

Hanekawa Tsubasa from Bakemonogatari

Victorique from Gosick

Well, Tori was a moron and was pretty useless in a fight, so...

Girls win.
That's actually wrong. Tori's contract for his ability required him to be happy, forever, or he will die.

He's literally forced to be that way, he isn't actually an idiot at all. Remember the debate episode? Hell there are many times throughout the show that he is more observant about things than other members are.

Serious

Zegapain comes immediately to mind, although there that character's sexuality wasn't important to the plot, and you only found out about it near the end.

JulianImp

Some example i could think off

Sakurako from beautiful bones: sakurako investigation

Medaka from Medaka Box

Hanekawa Tsubasa from Bakemonogatari

Victorique from Gosick

Talking about Monogatari, you could argue that Senjougahara is even more interesting than Hanekawa in her relationship with Koyomi in that she holds power over him on some aspects, but it's a way more "balanced" relationship than how he relates with Hanekawa, which is pretty much she letting us all know that no, she isn't the pure and ideal class rep Araragi wants to believe in.

And about Sakurako, I'd say the MC was never the brawn to her wits, and things were somewhat similar in Gosick, where the MC was stronger physically than Victorique, but he was still a weak young boy that couldn't actually do all that much for the most part.

Zegapain comes immediately to mind, although there that character's sexuality wasn't important to the plot, and you only found out about it near the end.

What series is that character from? The way you phrased it makes it sound like they tacked that trait on near the end, like "BTW, s/he's gay", which would defeat the purpose... but then again, it happens that you can interact with someone regularily and still not be aware of things such as this until they get brought up by some external factor or interacting with them in a more open environment.

Cornbread78

That's actually wrong. Tori's contract for his ability required him to be happy, forever, or he will die.

He's literally forced to be that way, he isn't actually an idiot at all. Remember the debate episode? Hell there are many times throughout the show that he is more observant about things than other members are.

Hmm, Maybe I'm forgetting some of those details, I just remember him getting beaten up by the ladies quite often.. Well, until S2/
Horizon appears
that is...

I might just have to rewatch at some point because the series was so much damn fun

S3, when?

Hmm, Maybe I'm forgetting some of those details, I just remember him getting beaten up by the ladies quite often.. Well, until S2/
Horizon appears
that is...

I might just have to rewatch at some point because the series was so much damn fun

S3, when?
Yeah he got beat up a lot because he spent like 90% of the series naked or in some state of undress.

S3 never because fuck Sunrise.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So I've been out of touch with anime for quite some time but I'm looking to watch something pretty compelling. Are there any really good shows for me to check out from the past two years or so? If possible I would like a school life/romance show. I really liked Your Lie in April. Crucify me.

Qurupeke

So I've been out of touch with anime for quite some time but I'm looking to watch something pretty compelling. Are there any really good shows for me to check out from the past two years or so? If possible I would like a school life/romance show. I really liked Your Lie in April. Crucify me.

Not romance, but you should check out Sound! Euphonium.

ReLife is a school life/romance

Tanaka-kun is a school life/comedy

Orange

blurr

From this year there is ReLIFE

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You would probably like Kiznaiver.

Cheer Boys 12 dub

Loved this show! The dub performance were all fantastic. Of course, the animation did drop at quite a few spot, but the great cast compensated enough for me to forget those issues.

Saku's smile must be protected!

Joker game 1 dub

I like this premise! Very strong first episode. Those characters design are pretty ace too.

Keijo 1 dub

Gave this a second chance and man seeing it a second time, it's still awful. That artstyle and those characters designs are yuck. No amount of fan-service can make this show right for me.

Jojo part 1

I tried the manga and it did not work, decided to give the anime a try and nope. I mean all this hype for it did get me curious

But those big muscular man designs are terrible and the faces really turn me off. I just can't.

Cornbread78

- Plastic Memories (drama/romance, also, closest thing to YLiA, not school)

- My Love Story aka. Ore Monogatari (sticky-sweet romcom/school)
- Actually, I Am (Romcom)
- Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches (more on the comedy side, but has some romcom cuteness to it/school)
- Akagami no Shirayuki-hime S1/S2 (Sticky-sweet Shoujo Romance/not school)
- Boku dake ga Inai Machi a.k.a "Erased" (not romance, just watch it!!!!<sci-fi, drama>)
- Say, I Love You (2012) (School/Romance)
- From Me to You (2010) (School, Romance, Misunderstandings, drama, more misunderstandings)
- Orange (School, Sci-fi, Romance, Drama)

Side rec.

Have you seen Little Busters!? It's not as sad as YLiA, but it is school based, with lots of comedy and drama, with romantic overtones, but nothing forced.

It actually has the best confession scene (after Plastic Memories) out of the of these.

Jojo part 1

I tried the manga and it did not work, decided to give the anime a try and nope. I mean all this hype for it did get me curious

But those big muscular man designs are terrible and the faces really turn me off. I just can't.

hqdefault.jpg

Are you talking about the entirety of Part 1 or just Episode 1? Because Part 2 is where it's at for the original 2012 JoJo run.

blurr

Tanaka-kun is always listless 01

Came across the name Silver Link in the credits and surely enough, it was directed by Shinya Kawatsura. Instantly caught in the vibe and atmosphere this show is going for, fits in really well thematically as well.

I had only a handful of laughs but it's interesting to see it be a relaxing show and effortlessly switch to comedy without feeling jarring.

Grimgar 03-04

Mostly had little going on in terms of drama and action but decent nonetheless. That last episode was something. Couldn't believe what happened until the very end and now I feel sad. Very interesting turn of events. Really didn't expect that but I had little to no expectations for this show to begin with.

Are you talking about the entirety of Part 1 or just Episode 1? Because Part 2 is where it's at for the original 2012 JoJo run.
I watched the first few episode on crunchyroll and read 30 chapters. They are all had Part 1 on them.

It's just really not my thing. Characters design are almost the *end all be all* for what I watch/read and Jojo just doesn't pass.

JulianImp

I watched the first few episode on crunchyroll and red 30 chapters. They are all had Part 1 on them.

JoJo Part 1 covers Jonathan Joestar, which is the most boring goody-two-shoes protagonist in existence, and his feud with the dastardly Dio Brando. Part 2 (which I believe starts at around the second cour) gets more interesting since the protagonist becomes Joseph Joestar (who's a lot less chivalrious than his predecessor), but it isn't until part 3 where the author started experimenting with the concept of stands, which is the defining element of JoJo.

Basically, JoJo is about characters with bizarre powers (manifested as Stands), and fights always require the heroes to slowly learn how the Stand of the week actually works before devising a plan to stop it. Stands range from spirits that can be used to punch things really fast to ones that can deage enemies to ones that can be used to gamble over the user and their opponent's souls (and this one is particularily awesome because the fight doesn't involve any physical combat whatsoever), and later parts have stands with very particular and specific powers that get used in smart/awesome ways by their users.

It's still a "wacky enemy stand of the week" shonen for the most part, though, so your mileage may vary. From what I've seen so far, Part 4 is interesting in that it introduces stands in a kind-of SoL American-style town in Japan (...yeah), rather than being some race to get to the ultimate bad guy and beat him up before bad things happen.

I think I'll rewatch Konosuba, I really hated that MC first time out but I wasn't as familiar with MC tropes so perhaps his obnoxiousness will feel less abrasive now that I've about had my fill of bland MCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom